XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What were they thinking

Old 09-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What were they thinking

well we all know; lets drop in a V8, wait a minute, I'm bored.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5241855752.html

Old 09-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Sad.

There was one similar (red coupe sans motor/trans) on Denver CL at about $1,000.

Rob

Old 09-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

$500.00 and I'd drop in an AJ16 and ZF 4HP24

Old 09-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Yes, keep the AJ16 (readily available)

If you're paying to install a tranny, make it a manual and the resale value would skyrocket. Well, it would go up.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Probably thinking "I'm sick of throwing money at this engine. Poorly executed installation from the factory, no ongoing development to ensure reliability and I don't want to drop $5k to rebuild an engine that will be destroyed by some badly designed ancillary that Jaguar designed".
And the car just isn't worth investing the money in.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Probably thinking "I'm sick of throwing money at this engine. Poorly executed installation from the factory, no ongoing development to ensure reliability and I don't want to drop $5k to rebuild an engine that will be destroyed by some badly designed ancillary that Jaguar designed". And the car just isn't worth investing the money in.
so, are you here to crap on Jaguar and XJS's or are you actually a fan, funny way to show it if you are. Just my observation.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Probably thinking "I'm sick of throwing money at this engine. Poorly executed installation from the factory, no ongoing development to ensure reliability and I don't want to drop $5k to rebuild an engine that will be destroyed by some badly designed ancillary that Jaguar designed".
And the car just isn't worth investing the money in.

Could be a hundred reasons.

As long as we're tossing out speculations....

"Darn thing hasn't been running right. I spent a whole hour foolin' around with it and it still doesn't run right. I don't want to put out any effort actually learning how to care for this engine or make it run properly. That sounds an awful lot like work. My cousin says the only thing to do is throw it away. I mean, that's what everyone does, right? "

Cheers
DD

Old 09-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

No matter the reason, the car looks like it is in good condition and its worth putting an engine in it and getting back on the road, regardless of engine choice.

I hope someone saves it.

Mark

Old 09-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I agree. If it needs a sbc to save it then save it. Too hard to speculate on why the engine was pulled. Maybe a dropped seat valve or two.
If I was close I would buy it and put my sbc and non-abs brakes in it. The body is in better shape than mine.

Last edited by Bc xj; 09-30-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

So, because I actually talk about the flawed design of many Jaguar parts and upset the "purists" who think the XJS is perfect in every respect, you have an issue with that? Boo hoo.
The car in this post is not yours, nor anyone elses. The owner can do with is as they please.
If you want it 100% original, put your money where your mouth is, throw several grand at it and make it so.
Otherwise, neither you or anyone else has a right to criticize what someone else does to their own vehicle.
Frankly, I am tired of seeing people here post about how blasphemous certain things are and acting like multi millionaires just because they bought an old car that isn't worth much, but was "super expensive" when new.
The same people who rave on about other people keeping their cars 100% original in one post, then talk about their new, cheapo, non original solution in another post.
You can't have it both ways. If you are to criticize, you must expect it back.

Originally Posted by JTsmks
so, are you here to crap on Jaguar and XJS's or are you actually a fan, funny way to show it if you are. Just my observation.

The following users liked this post:
BCXJS (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

So, because I actually talk about the flawed design of many Jaguar parts and upset the "purists" who think the XJS is perfect in every respect, you have an issue with that? Boo hoo. The car in this post is not yours, nor anyone elses. The owner can do with is as they please. If you want it 100% original, put your money where your mouth is, throw several grand at it and make it so. Otherwise, neither you or anyone else has a right to criticize what someone else does to their own vehicle. Frankly, I am tired of seeing people here post about how blasphemous certain things are and acting like multi millionaires just because they bought an old car that isn't worth much, but was "super expensive" when new. The same people who rave on about other people keeping their cars 100% original in one post, then talk about their new, cheapo, non original solution in another post. You can't have it both ways. If you are to criticize, you must expect it back.
Um, no one claimed to be a purist, quit putting more into things then are there. If your going to use my quote, try to be accurate in your rant, I was. Seemed to me you had nothing but criticism in your quote for the car (XJS) and Jaguar. As I said, just an observation. I have another observation about you now but out of respect for this thread and the moderators I'll not share it. Your actions speak loudly enough. Cheers!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

So, because I actually talk about the flawed design of many Jaguar parts and upset the "purists" who think the XJS is perfect in every respect, you have an issue with that? Boo hoo.
The car in this post is not yours, nor anyone elses. The owner can do with is as they please.
If you want it 100% original, put your money where your mouth is, throw several grand at it and make it so.
Otherwise, neither you or anyone else has a right to criticize what someone else does to their own vehicle.
Frankly, I am tired of seeing people here post about how blasphemous certain things are and acting like multi millionaires just because they bought an old car that isn't worth much, but was "super expensive" when new.
The same people who rave on about other people keeping their cars 100% original in one post, then talk about their new, cheapo, non original solution in another post.
Good God did someone pee in your Wheaties? Talk about a crazy rant- If you think the Jaguar has so many flaws why don't you go find a 2 door GM car and get to cracking to your hearts content and leave the rest of us to deal with real life issues like why is my perfect 25 year old Jaguar alternator not charging correctly any more- oh excuse me that would never happen on a GM or Ford-LOL!

Roger95 (10-01-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Oh please, let's be honest with ourselves here.

First, nobody here pretends that Jags are perfect.

Next, you're not really 'talking' about a flawed design. That is, you're not really discussing or inviting discussion.

My take? You're just looking for a reaction. You just enjoy making a splash with a lot of bold statements made in a hyper-critical tone.....as though doing so will give the appearance of you having a keen insight on they way things really are while the rest of us poor, sappy, maudlin Jag 'purists' are too dumb to realize that Jags are not perfect.

We all know Jags are imperfect. We knew before you ever came along.

Get over yourself already.

Right. Like coming on an enthusiast site, going out of your way to be critical of the thing others are enthused about (Jags in this case)...knowing full well that you'll get the reaction you are seeking.

You don't have to rant on about how flawed Jaguars are. We get it. You've been noticed. You don't have to go on with the Jaguar criticism to prove that you know flawed designs when you see 'em.

Cheers
DD

Jonathan-W (10-07-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Well said Doug..........

LuvmyXJS if you are having issues with your alternator start a thread and I can give you a hand....

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
DBAM (09-30-2015), Jonathan-W (10-07-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

typhoon is a troll, enough said.

So I called the guy about this car. He said the previous owner pulled the engine to be used for something else. He went on to say he owned 3 xjs before this one and one of them had a v8. he was planning to put a v8 in this one but does not have the time.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Well said Doug..........

LuvmyXJS if you are having issues with your alternator start a thread and I can give you a hand....
Actually my XJS' have not had any issues with the alternators but my same year Corvette with the same miles as one of my XJS' did have the alternator fail and had to be replaced.

My point to Typhoon is how dare we purists not think that any car that is at least 21 years old now and many on this forum are 25 years and older, should not expect something like a " perfect " Jaguar alternator to fail now and then.

Just makes me laugh when someone makes a comment like how badly Jaguar parts or engineering is flawed but then buys a car like a XJS so they can go and put a GM V8 into it and tell the rest of us how flawed our thinking and attitude is.

Of course all of us are so busy acting like multi millionaires with our old Jags that are not worth much that we just do not have the time to actually learn how to work on and fix the car with the engine that we chose to buy-makes perfect sense now that I think about it Typhoon.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 PM

+1

Originally Posted by warrjon
Well said Doug..........

Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodun

So I called the guy about this car. He said the previous owner pulled the engine to be used for something else. He went on to say he owned 3 xjs before this one and one of them had a v8. he was planning to put a v8 in this one but does not have the time.
There....so now we know! Time to brew the decaf....I think?

Rob.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:20 PM

Well that was a good guess then

Originally Posted by hoodun

Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

To LuvmyXJS' point about GM; my family has owned nine GM heaps over the past 40 years. Other than a '77 Chevy Caprice and an '82 Chevy C-10 they were all junk!!! Every friggin' one! The worst of the bunch were three Cadilacs and the worst of the Cadillacs was my '97 Eldorado whose POS northstar V-8 came apart at 91,449 miles. Compare this junk to my '95 XJS. which ran day in and day out as my DD in 90 degree plus weather through Tampa rush hour traffic for six years (until my retirement) without one problem. To be sure I am finished with General Motors products!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What were they thinking