XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

When is a Phone is Not a Phone in your XJS?

Old 12-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Distractions while driving have abounded from early on. In my earlier years of freeway commuting, it was breakfast, coffee, makeup, newspaper, shaving, sex, etc.

Then came car phones. Hands free, a bit better. But, oh, oh, texting!!!

CA reg's are developing. Seem to relate to two hands on the wheel. What a novel concept!

There have been awful incidents of train operators texting ands smashing into stuff.

Terrible loss of life and property. Pleas excuse the pairing. One far more important than the other.

My GPS is a TOMtom. I park it on a permissable ledge. No impairment of from vision. CVC describes that. I glance an listen to Samantha. But no adjusting.

My travel to parts unknown is far less than it once was.

Texting for me is out. Fingers and tiny keys don't match....

Carl

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Carl

I've got to agree with you there but music seems to help me concentrate

Old 12-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul_59

Your not wrong there but I don't even want to touch my Phone, the problem is if you have a phone and you are just playing Music, to anyone behind you, it still looks like you are using your mobile phone, even when you are not.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

What is wrong with music from the speaker/s?

Twas a very long time ago, that I got my my first car with a radio that "worked". Early
50's??? Since then, better and better, one way or another. but always speakers??
Ear phones ??? Not yet, if ever.

Oh, in my life, If the engine fires and I drive, the radio must be on. Seldom drive in silence. Bad ears and all !!!

Carl

orangeblossom (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

It is using the phone as is... No matter what function you use, it is using a phone, even if you aren't texting, reading, watching, touching, talking... Phone is phone.

What is weird is, that car phones (you know, those old dog bones as found in many 80ies Executive cars) can be exempted - at least here...

orangeblossom (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
What is wrong with music from the speaker/s?

Twas a very long time ago, that I got my my first car with a radio that "worked". Early
50's??? Since then, better and better, one way or another. but always speakers??
Ear phones ??? Not yet, if ever.

Oh, in my life, If the engine fires and I drive, the radio must be on. Seldom drive in silence. Bad ears and all !!!

Carl
Hi Carl

Same, must have music when I'm driving.

Jonathan-W (12-21-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
It is using the phone as is... No matter what function you use, it is using a phone, even if you aren't texting, reading, watching, touching, talking... Phone is phone.

What is weird is, that car phones (you know, those old dog bones as found in many 80ies Executive cars) can be exempted - at least here...
Agreed Daim

That's why I'm fitting a Radio, so there is no mistake I'm Not using my phone.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Twas about 87 whwn "cell phones" and car phones began to appear. I recall a rich lawyer art a meeting with a lunch box size case suspended from his shoulder. A phone!!!

Sometime later, I became the owner of a pair. Never could get them to work. Even with tech help. adventure for the both of us.

Then, I got a car phone for my 88 T'bird. Very useful in my business as an independent insurance adjuster. Big hand set. But, when driving , the speaker phone was great. Or, so I thought. Air time was expensive...

My 94 Jeep has the remnants of one. All but the hand set seems present. Including the wiggly aerial on a back glass.

I have ear buds for my ancient flip phone. I don't use them. Ears filled with aids nowadays!!!

The factory speakers in my jaguar are far better than the ones in my Jeep. Awful when not used. but as used, the "quality" improves. Dry cones, I suspect.

Cassettes in each play nicely....

Carl

orangeblossom (12-09-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 01:40 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

I think the big problem in the UK is pushing buttons "A" & "B" to make or end the call while driving. Fortunately here in Texas we can still use our dial phones when driving, but the cables on the highway are a problem!

I have an older radio with head phones. The only problem is the "cat's whisker" moves when I hit a bump and I lose my sound!

Last edited by afterburner1; 12-12-2016 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:15 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Baxter and Warrjon
Your comments are so appropriate. I think here in the US we started the push back in our election of our new President.
But don't be of faint heart. Your Prime Minister did a number on those immigrants that wanted to change your culture and the disposition of illegals.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:33 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Being a daily motorcycle rider and lane splitter(legal traffic filtering), I get to eyeball 100's of drivers using phones. From the angle on a bike you can see all happening inside cars, some I won't mention....
But the number of people with phone or tablet sitting on their leg is unbelievable, and looking up and down while attempting to drive.

The worst offenders seem be Miss 18-30 yo. Followed by Mr 30-40 yo.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Jonathan-W (12-21-2016), orangeblossom (12-12-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,141 Likes on 667 Posts

The one that bothers me is the Police Officers, texting while driving! How are they going to enforce the law, when they knowingly break it themselves. I live in northeast Arkansas USA. and Jonesboro Police believe they are above the Law as I have witnessed this several times. Even to the point of them encroaching into the lane next to them. For Shame! But if they catch you doing it, they will ticket you! They should have to live by the rules just as everyone else does.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

OOOOh, Lane splitting by guys and gals on the freeway are a no/no to me. But, now, our CVC approve It.

Cops seem to think that rules of the road do not apply to them. Speed, lane changing, etc.

The worst I've seen over many decades. In the 60's, I was on the Hollywood freeway or possibly, the Golden State, going home.

A CHIP on a bike ahead of me. Yowee, arms at side not on the bars!!! And worse yet, Sergeant's stripes on his sleeve. Did he see my strare? I'll never know, but he did pell off at the next off ramp !!

Example, probably, the negative on at least two levels!!

Yeah, I am for the most part, an optimist. But, a bit of cynicism is present!!

I wonder, or so I, what would happen if a citizen pulled one over and ordered a ticket be written !!

OTH, nearby SF just selected a New COP. An outsider? The SF mayor was flanked
by the gal that heads The Police Commission.

How many bosses can a Chief serve ???

Carl

Old 12-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

I made a Bluetooth receiver amp for the car (50wats a channel type D) just so I could play my music... from my phone... just larger that the standard pack of cigarettes... and it is much better for me to load my play list before starting the car...
it even helped me keep from loosing my cell-phone as the beeps it makes on start up are different when the phone does not connect... ( left it in the corner store)

so Hands free is good... hands free Sat Nav Is good, music is good...
redlight cameras are BAD ... speeding CAMERAs are BAD
I am not crazy about the tag reading cameras... one deployed at the toll booth at the bridge to the beach... (alerts beach law enforcement on a warrant hit)
and the tag reading system deployed on the patrol cars...
every day more and more Cameras are deployed...
less and less freedom...
if you do not want cell phone use in a car
do what I did and buy a personal privacy device and deploy it in your (your 16 year olds car) shuts down all cell phones with in 20 feet...
if the government wants it could demand all cars to be equipped with them and cell phones would not get a useful signal while the engine is running... just saying...

Old 12-21-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Carl

Same, must have music when I'm driving.
Carl and Orange
music on... while driving ... drive sensibly,,,
music off... I try and get the v12 to sing to me... dropping it into lower gears giving it more gas... out of turns and so on...
so music = better mileage and less trouble with officers...

driving home yesterday with music... na, I am still ticket bait... still drive too fun...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 12-22-2016 at 10:24 AM.
orangeblossom (12-21-2016)