XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Who has dealt w/these guys?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought to toss out there.. But instead of a "lumps" section would it be more agreeable to rename the "jaguar engines" section to just "engines"? Hypothetically, a swapped xjs could be boosted and/or on nitrous but many of the principles regarding fueling, ignition timing, valve/cam timing could be commonly discussed over there. Lessons learned about meth injection, boost referenced fuel systems, and keeping it all cool are similar no matter what engine, and already being discussed over there but the title might put off posters with non jaguar powered vehicles.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 107 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I worked with these guys...

Geoffsxjs
I did a swap on a 1998 XK8 due to a blown tranny
LS1 - 4L60E from an 02 Camaro Z28
I used the Jaguar Specialties kit
Got about 100HP more over the orig 4.0 Liter Jag mill and will blow any other XK8 off the road...ha ha
Andrew @JagSpec was awesome
Money spent was in budget and expected
See LS1 Conversion Chapter 1 to read about the experience
I loooooovve my XK8 and I like that now I can work on it. As I am in Canada and at least 500km from the nearest dealer I needed to be independent. The LS1 gives me that confidence
Hope this helps
SK

Last edited by Skooba Kowboy; 06-10-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: update icon
The following users liked this post:
Bc xj (06-26-2015)
Old 06-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
There's been mention of "should we have a lump section? here.......I've also been advised of a "flame war" within this thread / section. Firstly, as far as I see and at this moment in time, I see no need for a lump section..... There will always be differences in opinion on this, whether it should be 100% original and Jag through n through, or whether engine swaps are a good idea. There will always be the purists, no matter what and or if another section were to be created. For now, I believe it will stay as is, but we're always open to looking at it again in the future. Furthermore, having quickly read through the many posts here, I see no real flame war, no real nasty comments / remarks, just members passionate about "their" choices for their cars... Thats part of what this and any forum is about. With that said, please remember to rein in certain comments and avoid being rude / offensive as forum rules dictate, ie - treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated. Thank you
Jag - Lovers has a specific Lumps section because those threads on a model specific forum area seem to cause undue strife among members and two it helps provide a venue for those that wish to do a swap by providing a source of information on it from those that have been there, done that. It's not my forum but I seriously think the leadership here is missing a great Opportunity to tone down some animosity ( it almost always goes south) and provide a single site local for those wishing to converse on the subject...many a Jaguar have been converted and all those conversions would be at those interested fingertips with out having to go through the thread de- railment they seem to undertake when on model specific sections.

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
Bc xj (06-26-2015), Flint Ironstag (06-27-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jagzilla yes..

Originally Posted by JagZilla
I wouldn't normally promote another forum here, but, I think you'll get a warmer reception over on the Jag-Lovers.org Lumps forum

Personally, I can't stand the idea of someone taking a thoroughbred, removing it's soul, and turning it into nothing more than a mongrel.

That's the problem with these cars currently being so devalued. It opens the door for heretics who have no respect for the marque. They buy the car cheap, and rather than man up, and learn to work on, and appreciate the nuances of the V12, they try to turn a low production exotic into a run-of-the-mill Camaro.

If you wanted a Chevy, you should have bought a Chevy. If you want a Jaguar, keep it a Jaguar, and discover what it's like to own a truly exceptional automobile.
I agree 100% A camaro/firebird is all i think of... Now lets see some more of your Jagzilla!!!! any photo's posted? You don't see the brits ripping out V12's and installing small block chevy's they wrench on them and love them.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:11 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by douglasXJS
I agree 100% A camaro/firebird is all i think of... Now lets see some more of your Jagzilla!!!! any photo's posted? You don't see the brits ripping out V12's and installing small block chevy's they wrench on them and love them.
First, let me say that I regret the harsh tone of my posts in this thread, and, although I still hold to my opinion that lumping a Jaguar destroys the car's character, I'm not always proud of the manner in which I express that opinion. The Italian in me has a way of automatically activating my mouth (or keyboard), before engaging my brain.

As for photos of my car, you can see all my albums here:

JagZilla's Albums - JaguarForums

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (06-27-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Scott, Im confused by the pics of your donor car. Does it really have the front of pre facelift and the rear of a facelift.......if so, how did that happen ??

Old 06-26-2015, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

lump heaven:

BritishV8: the car magazine for enthusiasts of modified British sports cars

look in the photo galleries and there are lots of very well executed
conversions.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by malc4d
Scott, Im confused by the pics of your donor car. Does it really have the front of pre facelift and the rear of a facelift.......if so, how did that happen ??
Sharp eye.
Indeed it does.
It is, in fact, a 1989 pre-facelift car. The previous owner liked the facelift tail lights better than the pre-facelift "Gothic" tail lights, so he welded the required bits to the end of the rear quarter panels, bolted on a facelift deck lid, and installed the new tail lights. The car also had a Lister body kit from Hyper Transformations, but, most of it was destroyed when he wrecked the car. Another forum member here bought the rear spoiler from me a few years ago.

Last edited by JagZilla; 06-26-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, I post in both forums. I have a lump. I did the conversion. As for me, it saved my quite decent car from the wrecker.

I respect the opinion of others. If they choose to soldier on with a V12 or DOHC 6, more power to them. Many do with incredible stamina and many have absolutely great cars.

As to devaluing my car. Not an issue. Only important if I chose to sell it. At times, the thought comes forward. but, only is stress. So, now, it is in stress. Sell, nope!!

Gotta remember, many non Jaguar parts in them, including a lot of GM!!! Saginaw, Dana, Borg Warner, Harrison, Lucas, Bosch......

Carl

Old 06-26-2015, 08:31 PM

To all on this thread,
This will be my final comment here. First off, everyone is entitled to their opinion and has the right to express it. Hell, it's in our charter of rights in Canada. I have enjoyed reading all the comments and the passion on both sides of the issue. From my perspective and limited funds I am in a place where the only way I can afford this beautiful car (after a catastrophic transmission failure) was to do the LS1 swap. Second, this my car, no one else's and I will put a briggs and stratton in it if it is the only way I can keep driving it. Third, the name Jaguar in Canada inspires thoughts of elegance and performance and to see one is thought of with more respect for the brand than BMW, Porsche or Mercedes Benz. I am so proud and privileged to have one. I have the greatest respect for all Jaguar owners regardless of drive train. It is my hope that my XK8 will be respected for the magnificent vehicle that it is and perhaps myself for not sending it to a compactor. Finally, Spock should have said "Live long and drive a Jaguar"

Attached Thumbnails Who has dealt w/these guys?-img_2540.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Skooba Kowboy:
Bc xj (06-27-2015), Flint Ironstag (06-27-2015), LnrB (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Skooba Kowboy
Finally, Spock should have said "Live long and drive a Jaguar"
Actually, I think Vulcans are partial to Buicks.
Who has dealt w/these guys?-not-cool-spock.jpg

Old 06-26-2015, 10:56 PM

Touche'

Old 06-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I love my lumper XJS. I have the best of both worlds

Old 06-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Mongrel vs pure bred!!! Can be looked at with humor. My dear departed wife was/s born and raised in Germany. She adored things English and her Poodles. The kids and I used to kid her. 'You and the poodle are the only purebreds around here".

When my DOHC blew up in a hot California valley, it came home on a flat bed. 0 compression in all holes. Cranked merriiy, but of course, not a even pop.
Lots of study. Much spread sheeting. Result, 94 Cadillac LT1 and 4l60e transmission. The install was a huge leap for this old DIY'er.

Perfect, nope. The slickest conversion, nope. but, up til a few months ago, reliable as all.... One simple failure magnified beyond all belief by you know who, me.

I refer to it as English elegance, Italian flair, with American power.

Wise old Sir Henry wanted cars with panache. even if not the best engineering choice. DOHC had that. Even if the long stroke 6 and the DOHC were a bit of a mismatch. Taxing politics involved.

And, wow, 12 cylinders, that is panache. SOHC, but still unique. It was well within jaguar engineers skills and facilities to produce a high tech V8. Oh, oh, the effort that came later was a bit ouchy....

I like all IC engines. A bunch of them around here. Early 60's Lauson one banger..... HF Predator, a Honda knock off. A real Honda one banger on the mower. Not to mention the touchy two cycles. Three or four of those around here.

Firing them up always a treat.

Push rod motors!!! No less than Juan Manuel Fangio cut his teeth racing on the Pampas of Argentina in a stove bolt Chevvy 6!!!

Carl