XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?

Probably not this one! £1.2 Million Pounds!

For those who missed the Programme: 'Building The Million Pound Car'

Jaguar Lightweight E-Type review - the £1.2million unicorn | Evo

But there did seem to be a hint of expectation, that at sometime in the future, Jaguar might hopefully produce the kind of 'e' type that we all know and love.

And what an Amazing idea that would be! as this is the 'Classic Sports Car' revered all over the World and 'The Greatest Crumpet Catcher' know to man.

With the Price of Secondhand 'e' types Circa £150,000 for a good one in the UK, it probably won't be quite in that price bracket.

But if push ever came to shove, would you sell your XJS to buy one?

Somehow I don't think I would as I want what I've got but never say never.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

NOPE.

I am NOT an E Type lover, never have been.

I did consult the "Jag shrink" back in 1971 when I passed on one, and I was deemed as normal.

I had the MK7 and a 3.4 S Type at the time.

Win, win in my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (06-28-2015), orangeblossom (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

If your proposition means that I could own only *one* Jaguar, and it had to be an E-type, and I'd have to give up an XJS.....then the answer would be "No"

The XJS is ten times more automobile than the E-Type. The E-type is great at being an automotive icon. The XJS is great at just about everything else

Cheers
DD

The following 4 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (06-28-2015), orangeblossom (06-28-2015), ronbros (07-26-2015), XJDanny (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Ill "Third" this, never liked the Etype, just not for me. Mind you if someone wants to donate one to me OK, but I would look at swapping it for the letter after.

The following 2 users liked this post by Katoh:
Old 06-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
NOPE.

I am NOT an E Type lover, never have been.

I did consult the "Jag shrink" back in 1971 when I passed on one, and I was deemed as normal.

I had the MK7 and a 3.4 S Type at the time.

Win, win in my opinion.
Hi Grant

Although I've never owned an 'e' type, I have driven one and there are certain boxes that the 'e' type doesn't tick, at least for me.

I just love the Contemporary Styling and the Creature Comforts of the XJS.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
If your proposition means that I could own only *one* Jaguar, and it had to be an E-type, and I'd have to give up an XJS.....then the answer would be "No"

The XJS is ten times more automobile than the E-Type. The E-type is great at being an automotive icon. The XJS is great at just about everything else

Cheers
DD
I think you just about nailed that Doug, 100% agree!

Doug (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Katoh
Ill "Third" this, never liked the Etype, just not for me. Mind you if someone wants to donate one to me OK, but I would look at swapping it for the letter after.
Hi Katoh

No dissenters so far!

I guess we all pretty much love what we have got.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

So nice to have all these knowledgeable people share my own view! The E Type is an icon, but as a car it nowhere approaches the XJS. Slower, noisier, less comfortable, cornering and handling nowhere near as good. And as a head turner it is not cutting it with the young. Read on:

The status of the E type in our minds just means we are showing our age, for today's under 30s the XJS REALLY turns heads. One week ago today, in Covent Garden, Central London, as I cruised about the busy narrow streets filled with young people, looking for a parking space, the XJS received many admiring glances and not a few devastating smiles were bestowed upon its aging owner.

Stick with it boys, the age of the XJS has already started.

Greg

orangeblossom (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Now, to be certain, if given the means and opportunity to own a *variety* of cool cars, or a variety of Jaguars, the E-Type would *absolutely* be one of them.

Like a lot of really cool old cars, though, reality doesn't quite live up to the hype. I've driven E-types..... and proven to myself that I've grown accustomed to modern-ish automobiles

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Old 06-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
So nice to have all these knowledgeable people share my own view! The E Type is an icon, but as a car it nowhere approaches the XJS. Slower, noisier, less comfortable, cornering and handling nowhere near as good. And as a head turner it is not cutting it with the young. Read on:

The status of the E type in our minds just means we are showing our age, for today's under 30s the XJS REALLY turns heads. One week ago today, in Covent Garden, Central London, as I cruised about the busy narrow streets filled with young people, looking for a parking space, the XJS received many admiring glances and not a few devastating smiles were bestowed upon its aging owner.

Stick with it boys, the age of the XJS has already started.

Greg
That was a great response Greg, you neatly managed to sum up the way that many of us seem to feel.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Now, to be certain, if given the means and opportunity to own a *variety* of cool cars, or a variety of Jaguars, the E-Type would *absolutely* be one of them.

Like a lot of really cool old cars, though, reality doesn't quite live up to the hype. I've driven E-types..... and proven to myself that I've grown accustomed to modern-ish automobiles

Cheers
DD
Imagine if the 'e' type and the XJS, had both been launched at the very same time.

I wonder which one would have outsold the other.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

It seems like I'm in the minority but I'd swap my XJS for an E-Type in the blink of an eye. And I want the "least-loved" one the most - Series 3 V12

I've had my XJS convertible for 12 years and love her, but a Series 3 roadster is a thing of absolute beauty (as indeed is a Coupe IMO). With the V12 engine, it performs great. Is it a better handling car than my uprated 4 litre? No, but then a modern small Peugeot can probably run rings around my XJS anyway. Is it better-equipped than my XJS? No, but when you look out of the window, you can't see the wood dash and trip computer of the XJS, but you could see the beautiful feline shape of the E-Type!

I think that cars are "of their time". The E-Type is the 1960s personified and with the late V12 engine, is the ultimate variant. Why do they go for up to £200,000 over here. Because nearly everyone still wants the best-looking car ever made, despite all its quality & handling shortcomings.

So, I might be in the minority here, but if someone wants to give £150,000 for my XJS, I'll be straight down the road to get my E-Type!

Paul

Old 06-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

From the land of imagination.

1. Far more XJS's on the market than E types.

2. All E types are not equal.

3. Under the skin, the XJs is a far more advanced automobile.

4. E type roadsters, oh, yeah.

5. The bulbous hard tops, Nope. Odd looking at best. short Ok, long, ugly!!

Just my ideas. As of now, I've my hands full with a mundane XJwuzza six.

Carl

Old 06-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

It seems like I'm in the minority but I'd swap my XJS for an E-Type in the blink of an eye. And I want the "least-loved" one the most - Series 3 V12

I've had my XJS convertible for 12 years and love her, but a Series 3 roadster is a thing of absolute beauty (as indeed is a Coupe IMO). With the V12 engine, it performs great. Is it a better handling car than my uprated 4 litre? No, but then a modern small Peugeot can probably run rings around my XJS anyway. Is it better-equipped than my XJS? No, but when you look out of the window, you can't see the wood dash and trip computer of the XJS, but you could see the beautiful feline shape of the E-Type!

I think that cars are "of their time". The E-Type is the 1960s personified and with the late V12 engine, is the ultimate variant. Why do they go for up to £200,000 over here. Because nearly everyone still wants the best-looking car ever made, despite all its quality & handling shortcomings.

So, I might be in the minority here, but if someone wants to give £150,000 for my XJS, I'll be straight down the road to get my E-Type!

Paul
Am blessed to be the caretaker of both and lived with them for a very long time. The fact is, you can't compare the cars, they are great creations that do completely different things made for a different time.

I personally think an early S3 is a better car in the fun factor side than any vintage XJS (if we're talking V12 to V12 here, aside from very early manual cars), however, an XJS is much easier to live with long term, and convertibles have gained such presence as they have aged.

A Fall blast in the hills in a 3.8 OTS whilst bouncing off red line all afternoon = ain't nothing better IME. S1 cars (including 4.2's) still just do it for me everytime, I never get bored or let down.

30 some years ago, a former Jaguar sales associate told it best (he was from the UK transplanted here - am paraphrasing as it's been a while). "The XJS was for the man that drove an E-Type and decided he needed a more comfortable wardrobe, however, one should never be without a tuxedo". Gotta have 'em both in other words..

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by Broken_Spanners; 06-28-2015 at 11:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Broken_Spanners:
Dave1109971 (07-26-2015), orangeblossom (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Gee...this is a difficult choice.

I guess for me it would come down to usage.

If I was wanting a car to drive on a regular basis then I would chose the XJS. If I just wanted something to take out on nice weekends and car shows then I would have the "E" type. But it would have to be the convertible. I was never attracted to the coupes.

On the other hand, for the cost of an "E" type I could have a fully restored XJS and 3 or 4 other for spares.

Fortunately my economic status has made the decision for me.

It is XJS for me!!

Mark

Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

I honestly never thought much about the E-Type until I started driving the XJS. I'd love an opportunity to drive one, but owning one is right out of the question.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

If I got an E given to me, I'd flog it and get the best of the best XJ-S (not XJS) out there!

And buy some nice goodies with the rest

I am no E fan... A purely overrated and overhyped car. If you get the chance to drive one, it isn't as fun as it seems. I got to sit as a passemger in a Series II E and was driven a little. It wallowed back amd forth and felt everything else than 'legendary' - and that one had been freshly restored. Nothing beats the double wishbone setup at the front of an XJ/XJ-S... The torsionbar setup is just old and dated. Not so sophisticated...

As said, I wouldn't want an E type...

Old 06-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Well strange enough I actually had a opportunity to trade one of my '95 convertibles for a very nice series 3 E-type coupe.

From a financial stand point it made perfect sense why I would consider it but when it came down to it I just could not part with something I was passionate about for something that I was not. Now had it been a convertible series 3 E-type I would have worked hard to make that happen but not for the series 3 coupe.

I have always wanted an older E- type roadster and why not: they are one of the most beautiful cars ever made, are still a blast to drive and lets be honest they just eek sexy from every angle.

Then reality sits in and for us working class folk the window of opportunity to purchase a reasonably priced E -type roadster is not going to happen or as the saying goes that ship already sailed out to sea.

I know for myself there are many different cars I would love to have out in my garage to take out for weekend drives and car shows etc. but I have to look at what amount of capitol I would be tying up to have those at my leisure. I do not have the financial means nor am I willing to do that so I will leave that to the ultra wealthy.

What I love about the XJS is that most are still accessible cost wise to many of us with limited means. The fact that they are hardly ever seen out being driven, were the last Lyons-Sayer inspired Jaguar sports car and are damn sexy to boot-well that just makes me feel like the guy in the '70s who bought a well taken care of E-type roadster for $ 1500.00 -like I just won the lottery.

Last edited by LuvmyXJS'; 06-28-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

My primary objection to E-types is that lack of comfort. Of course, none of us are the same shape....but I simply have a hard time getting comfortable. I really feel like I have to squeeze into the car and I usually drive with my shoes off 'cuz my feet invariably get all tangled in the pedals ....which are bunched right together for awkwardness . There's no shoulder room or headroom....and no ventilation system, either.

But, sports cars of long ago were just that way. Look at the old first gen, solid-axle Corvettes---very awkward driving position. They're another car where it's great to be seen in but driving one....well....not really all that great. There's the initial thrill of driving something really cool but, after that wears off.......well....

The fun of the E-Type comes from that brilliant off-the-line acceleration, magnificent sound, and crisp steering. When you're hard into the throttle and watching the bulged bonnet rise up in front of you....and hearing that sound.....oh my !

It speaks volumes that, today, you can jump into an XJS...itself a 30 year old design....and still be impressed.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

Paul
That's a pretty convincing argument Paul and I would also go for a Series 3 V12 and in my Case (Auto) Convertible.

I'd just love that Sexy Cat sitting on my drive.

The only problem being, I'd also have to have my XJS.

Quick Reply: Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?