XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros

yes E-types are way over rated, goes to show what opinions from respected people can do to values of things.

i owned one,had it couple weeks and #1 rod bearing started knocking, sold it quick, didnt need that noise!
Not sure overrated is the term I'd use. The E has the 'package deal' benefit of ticking basically every sports car qualifier one could have. Looks, speed, sound, turns and stops, in ample supply, I'd argue way above the XJ-S.

It's like saying a 288GTO is better than a 250GTO, and in many ways it was, but eh.......

The XJ-S will forever be overshadowed by the car that it replaced in sequence, but shared little with, however that's what makes the S such a great car = its difference.

I put many miles on both, but if the garage was on fire and something had to be saved, I'd grab the E. ;/)

Jeff

Old 07-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

OK which car says it best, RACE,PACE,AND GRACE?

Group44 raced both E-type V12, and XJS V12, Tullius said he won more races with the XJS , E type was not a good race car even when modified, polar moment of inertia(or something like that).
XJS was a more relaxed car to drive hard, especially after a long race!

also ask woman after a ride in both cars, her opinion would have some merit about both!

at the end of the day a ride home in an XJS would suffice for me!
again to each his own, and if the garage was burning down I,d grab the E-type,simply because its worth more money.

Attached Thumbnails Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?-mazda-jaguar-001.jpg   Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?-mazda-jaguar-002.jpg  
Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

No. Old sports cars are old sports cars. At my age old sports cars hurt my a$$ too much.
My '95 4.0 convertible is the perfect blend of classic elegance and modern convenience for me.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by ronbros
OK which car says it best, RACE,PACE,AND GRACE?

Group44 raced both E-type V12, and XJS V12, Tullius said he won more races with the XJS , E type was not a good race car even when modified, polar moment of inertia(or something like that).
XJS was a more relaxed car to drive hard, especially after a long race!

also ask woman after a ride in both cars, her opinion would have some merit about both!

at the end of the day a ride home in an XJS would suffice for me!
again to each his own, and if the garage was burning down I,d grab the E-type,simply because its worth more money.
Wow, you guys really drink the Kool-aid! ;-)

The XJS is a blvd cruiser, as was the E. The E Type was never a standout on the track, however a properly setup S1 coupe is a force to be reckoned with on said track, if guided by the right hands.

Regardless, the cars are too far apart to compare, it's personal preference at the end of the day, but it's nice seeing folks stick up for the XJ-S with force.

I hated the XJ-S in the 80's, as my perception of a V12 was symphonic noises and brutal acceleration, stock of which the car has neither (like none in regard to noises). It grows on you, they are fun to work on and have great curb appeal.

And as for comfort, let's go back to the 30's and talk SS, the E is a lazy boy.

Cheers,

Jeff

Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 AM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Never, had both, two totally different rides. There is nothing like the XJS package. Nirvana all the way.

The following 2 users liked this post by chriskindbooks:
Greg in France (07-29-2015), orangeblossom (07-29-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

na, I would sell the Wife's minivan and have two Jags and be in trouble....

never see an e type up for sale around here...

The following users liked this post:
chriskindbooks (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

If I had the money, I would have the E-type.

Its saying saying would you sell your mustang for a ferrari. Most would say yes.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

A series 3 E type convertible is really not that different from a XJS convertible in terms of space unless you are a really tall guy. I am perfectly comfortable in both. An automatic series 3 convertible with A/C is a very comfortable car as far as I am concerned. When my XJS and my "daily driver" X type where both in the shop I drove the e type to work for a month and a half and it did perfectly well in Houston traffic and heat. A non air conditioned series one with the original floor pans might be a different story.

If I did not have both I would not sell one to get the other. They are both different expressions of the same thing that Jaguar used to mean. Malcolm Sayer designed both cars. One does not need to disparage one to appreciate the other. The E type is not "overrated" because they have appreciated so much in cost, rather it's the XJS that's undervalued at this time. They are both extraordinarily beautiful in their own way.

ronbros (08-02-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
If I did not have both I would not sell one to get the other. They are both different expressions of the same thing that Jaguar used to mean. Malcolm Sayer designed both cars. One does not need to disparage one to appreciate the other. The E type is not "overrated" because they have appreciated so much in cost, rather it's the XJS that's undervalued at this time. They are both extraordinarily beautiful in their own way.
I agree with Mark. The thing I like about my XJS is it's uniqueness and style. It is now 20 years old and I would not trade it for a newer Jag because even if it is not as fast and does not handle as well as a newer Jag it has style. I know this is what a E-type owner feels about their car.

The XK120 was a game changing car in it's day as was the E-type. Each generation is a better driving car as you would expect but nothing takes the place of style. We know the XK8 is a more refined car then the XJS but I would take my XJS any day over the nicest and fastest XK8 because my XJS is a part of me now just like an E-type is part of their owners and so on.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
ronbros (08-02-2015), Spikepaga (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

well said guys.
if you like your car ,thats all there is to it,you like it, and doesnt matter what others think or like!
my custom XJS is not well apprecitated by some purists, but i like it, its reasnably fast ,handles more than i need, and most important the newer young people really do like it!

i like to think of it as a resto-mod XJS, maybe some day it will be of value.
its still a V12, an XJS has to be a V12, that is what they were designed for, you could put a 6 in them , you could put a V8 in them, now you will love this, you could put a 4 cylinder turbo in them and be as fast or faster than a standard V12.

XJS are not well recieved by the E-type guys ,THEY WERE THE ONES THAT HURT XJS when it 1st came out, with all there poor comments about XJS
OH well only time will tell

Spikepaga (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I agree with Mark. The thing I like about my XJS is it's uniqueness and style. It is now 20 years old and I would not trade it for a newer Jag because even if it is not as fast and does not handle as well as a newer Jag it has style. I know this is what a E-type owner feels about their car.

The XK120 was a game changing car in it's day as was the E-type. Each generation is a better driving car as you would expect but nothing takes the place of style. We know the XK8 is a more refined car then the XJS but I would take my XJS any day over the nicest and fastest XK8 because my XJS is a part of me now just like an E-type is part of their owners and so on.
Exactly. Obviously the XJS is going to be different from the E type. It's a generation ahead. You can't pit one against the other. Two different cars. It's like trying to compare an F type against an XJS. Obviously the F type is a different and more advanced car.

As far as XK120's/40's/50's are concerned, I would be in one in heartbeat if I could send it here first:

BEACHAM XK150

otherwise, in its original form, the XK150 can't keep up in today's traffic. Always beautiful and jaw dropping, but just can't keep up. A s3 v12 E on the other hand still can. You won't be beating any Japanese appliances, but you will definately be able to keep up.

As far as XK8's are concerned, I would want to add one to my garage along with a F type. The F type certainly is the only thing from Jaguar that still has my attention.

ronbros (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Exactly. Obviously the XJS is going to be different from the E type. It's a generation ahead. You can't pit one against the other. Two different cars. It's like trying to compare an F type against an XJS. Obviously the F type is a different and more advanced car.

As far as XK120's/40's/50's are concerned, I would be in one in heartbeat if I could send it here first:

BEACHAM XK150

otherwise, in its original form, the XK150 can't keep up in today's traffic. Always beautiful and jaw dropping, but just can't keep up. A s3 v12 E on the other hand still can. You won't be beating any Japanese appliances, but you will definately be able to keep up.

As far as XK8's are concerned, I would want to add one to my garage along with a F type. The F type certainly is the only thing from Jaguar that still has my attention.
Actually a 120/140/150 can more than keep up in traffic, and is easily tuned to pass said traffic. I have pounded folks with the 140M / the car can cruise effortlessly all day long at a comfortable 100+ mph if one was so inclined. I pull 70+ on 14% grades in the Mark VII in fact and she's one heavey pig(!!), although with a stock fan, she starts a climbing more than I usually like.

XK's are very capable "modern" vintage sports cars. If we're talking weather gear and long distance comfort, that's a different story, but HP is the least of the XK's worries (the drum brakes are fantasic as well -obviously discs on the 150). A modern Bridgestone small truck tire totally transforms the handling and makes the package darn near perfect.

Jeff

Last edited by Broken_Spanners; 08-02-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts
Old 08-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Well said Paul_59.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. I'd keep my XJS anyday. A lot people I know at the driver's club have e-types and frankly, on seeing them close up, and assessing them as an independant and freethinking adult motorist, (they were the fantasy car when I grew up in the seventies), when all the image and glamour is stripped away, in the cold light of day they are just toys.

I must admit though I do favour the luxury of grand tourers to silly little roadsters.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Not in a million years. I think the E-Type is pretty, but overrated. The proportions are great as far as layout goes, but the roofline is jarring. I like the E-Type, but I think the XJS is far better looking (Design is subjective of course). I actually can't think of a single car I'd rather own other than the one I do now, except maybe a Spyker of course! wouldn't mind owning an XJSC and a facelift car, and a convertible one day as well.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

While I wouldn't Sell my XJS to buy an 'e' type.

I would be very tempted to do a Swap for this!

As I was lucky enough to be able to see 'The Batmobile' in the Flesh and it looks awesome!

I'm not quite sure how long it is but you are going to need a Packed Lunch to walk round it!

It must be at least 25ft long maybe more and whatever was under that bonnet had 'Twin Turbos'

Can anyone manage to find the Specs on this.

Name:  S1030047_zps3k8reabs.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  277.6 KB

Name:  S1030041_zpsflewfp03.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  326.4 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
S1030047_zps3k8reabs.jpg (277.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
S1030041_zpsflewfp03.jpg (326.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 06:06 PM

Built on an Impala with a SBC it appears from the listing. It does have a piece of Jaguar on it, in the form of a J gate..

The rear tire / wheels are about 8"+ too narrow.

Keep your XJS..

Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,906 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I like the little doggy by the left rear wheel; 'Can I be arsed to pee on it? Nah, it's far to stupid to be worthy of my whizz'.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Went to a local car show this morning. Only two Jaguars there...my '90 XJS and an unrestored, "survivor" E-Type Roadster.

Mark

Quick Reply: Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?