XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Would you swap your Inboard IRS for one with Outboard Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,741 Likes on 2,594 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yes, the idea was to reduce unspring weight. Those outboard discs are heavy. They must be controlled. At the end of a lever, it is magnified.

Easier to service. Definitely. But, once in top shape, the inboards should not need
attention for many miles and many years.

Mongrel???? Borg Warner transmission. Lucas electrics, GM Ac compressor and power steering. Differential of Saginaw of Dana origin, and the list goes on!!!

Coco and I went to market yesterday. Jeep,Jaguar not completely ready for the road.
Nice little dog in the car alongside. it's owners came put at about that time. I complimented them on the cute little dog. She, "Thank you, he is an Australian Shepherd, what kind is yours?" Me "Dog". she laughed, "that's a good one".

Coco does look like an Australian Shepherd, but only sort of. More like spaniel under pinnings with a German Shepherd topside. About 30 pounds.

Were I to inherit an OB disc IRS in top shape and mine needed a lot of work, I'd swap. O'wise, it doesn't leak or make noise and ahs a reconditioned set of calipers. so, it will stay that way.

Lumps ain't done for economy, although MPG is usually better.

That PP thing agin.

Carl
Its doing a major service that seems to be a problem for some people including myself, where doing the Brakes can be a bit of a nightmare if you don't have a proper Car lifter.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagZilla
Well, there IS that little theory of the heat generated by the inboard brakes being responsible for causing the axle seals on the diff to fail at a higher rate (although the culprit is just as likely to be the exhaust pipes routed through the cage in that same area, if not a combination of the two).

There is also greater leeway for using larger, vented rotors and better, multi-piston calipers with outboard brakes...assuming that you also plan to run a larger diameter rim.

Outboard brakes likely run much cooler than inboard brakes, and they are definitely easier to run ductwork to, should your driving style require the additional cooling.

Although downplayed, it has already been mentioned that outboards are infinitely easier to service.

Unsprung weight on the front axle is crucial because of it's affect on steering response and handling. However, unsprung weight on the rear axle of a car in this weight range is really inconsequential, especially when you consider that 99% of XJS owners never drive their cars anywhere near their handling limits.

Aside from that, the car looks downright odd when you put wheels on it that have a very open spoke pattern, allowing a clear view of everything inboard of the wheel. Compared to cars with outboard brakes, it just looks like something is missing.

I'm not saying that I would do the conversion, because it's a major pain in the ***, but, the idea does hold quite an appeal for me every time I'm on my back under my cars, doing something that involves the rear brakes, or differential.
Hi Scot

Its always interesting when you hear from someone with a different point of view and I do see what you mean about wide spoke wheels.

If I came across an outboard IRS in very good condition, then I have to say I would be Tempted.

Lovely looking Car by the way!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
For the average guy, OB's because f service ease have a slight edge.

For competition, not so much. I'm thinking FI, Indy, Transam, etc, IB's are superior.
Pad change during a race not a usual thing. Wheel control is a huge thing. Big tires add to the issue.

Side bar. Sans cage, an IB Jag based IRS in an open car just looks supreme.

Love the tech of an IB . Hate the tech of the "emergency brake"!!!!

Carl
Hi Carl

Good point well made.

I think you probably nailed it with your description.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rgp
try Ward engineering Colchester, although there are better ones that take two bleeders into one nipple
Hi RGP

They are not too far from me, so maybe I'll pop over and have a good look round, a set of remote bleeders, would be just what I need and what I could have done with, when I did the Brakes Today.

The following users liked this post:
rgp (07-25-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Would you swop your Inboard IRS for one with Outboard Brakes.

Reasons for why or why not, would be interesting.

YES!!

We're fighting inboard brakes at this moment, and although the air isn't blue with words, it certainly is with thoughts!!

I KNOW how to deal with outboard brakes! They're dirt simple! Easy off, easy on. These inboard brakes, well, it would be Very unseemly for me to actually put down my real thoughts regarding them, because, as we all know, the Internet is forever, and it might come back to haunt me some day.
(';')

orangeblossom (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB

YES!!

We're fighting inboard brakes at this moment, and although the air isn't blue with words, it certainly is with thoughts!!

I KNOW how to deal with outboard brakes! They're dirt simple! Easy off, easy on. These inboard brakes, well, it would be Very unseemly for me to actually put down my real thoughts regarding them, because, as we all know, the Internet is forever, and it might come back to haunt me some day.
(';')
Elinor

I know just how you feel, as I have been 'Limbo Dancing' under the Car all day, in fact you can make that Two Days!

As Bleeding the Brakes on an XJS can really having you losing the 'Will' to live and when I'd run out of Expletives, I made up some of my own.

And cannot wait until the day I get my Car lifter back!

LnrB (07-23-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Cheers Doug

I take your point but I'm wishing I had outboard Brakes at the moment, so much easier for things like bleeding the brakes.
Hi OB

I have just bled my brakes owing to the fitment of new calipers at the front and a new aftermarket fluid reservoir. I fitted rear remote bleeders a couple of years ago. The best 70 UKP I have ever spent. Rear bleeds now a doddle. This is the kit you need (or the Ward ones, as RGP mentioned. I have Ward ones, but bought the Fosse brass banjo adaptors as they make fitting the remotes so much easier):

Remote Bleed Kit for Jaguar IRS Brakes - Fosseway PerformanceFosseway Performance

Get the brass banjo adaptors as well as this means they fit much more easily to the calipers. Chrissy present from the GF perhaps?

The main thing about fitting the later outboard braked axle is that you have to also change the diff to reuse the 2.88 ratio from the inboard axle, or else the ratios, speedo etc etc are all out of kilter.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 07-25-2015 at 09:03 AM.
orangeblossom (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Hi OB

I have just bled my brakes owing to the fitment of new calipers at the front and a new aftermarket fluid reservoir. I fitted rear remote bleeders a couple of years ago. The best 70 UKP I have ever spent. Rear bleeds now a doddle. This is the kit you need (or the Ward ones, as RGP mentioned. I have Ward ones, but bought the Fosse brass banjo adaptors as they make fitting the remotes so much easier):

Remote Bleed Kit for Jaguar IRS Brakes - Fosseway PerformanceFosseway Performance

Get the brass banjo adaptors as well as this means they fit much more easily to the calipers. Chrissy present from the GF perhaps?

The main thing about fitting the later outboard braked axle is that you have to also change the diff to reuse the 2.88 ratio from the inboard axle, or else the ratios, speedo etc etc are all out of kilter.

Greg
Hi Greg

Wow! Having remote bleeders is almost not an option and will definitely be going on my Chrissy present list.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:20 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

My 1993 XJS inboard brakes 60K miles. Local garage changed brake fluid for sixty dollars . Watch procedure used two man system. Took about half an hour. Remaining brakes 50% front, 60% rear. Don't need a brake job now, but in the future I would consider changing rear pads only and full overhaul on front. However this is wishful thinking, the car is 22 years old and in 22 more years the brakes will be down to zero. and I will be 109 years old. I'll be darned if I will get under the car at that age!

ronbros (11-12-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

As I posted on a separate thread, in my hard-won experience with the inboard braked handbrake, the only solid reason to go outboard would be to get a better handbrake (emergency brake). I have gone to some lengths to improve my inboard handbrake, and it is now really strong and really effective, as explained here: Handbrake improvement final.pdf

Greg

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Handbrake improvement final.pdf (1.12 MB, 164 views)
The following 5 users liked this post by Greg in France:
afterburner1 (11-01-2015), FerrariGuy (11-04-2015), JagZilla (11-02-2015), LnrB (11-02-2015), texasscot (11-02-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Greg
Outstanding study and presentation. I appreciate your time and hard work.
Afterburner

Greg in France (11-02-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

I rebuilt my IRS & rear brakes about 15 yrs ago. I installed vented rotors & remote bleeders also. I think no for changing to out board's, maybe if I was given the option when I bought the car it would be outboard brakes though. BTW I have a new, unused remote bleeder kit, from xks.com (check it out on their site part#06 0003)) , It sells for $100+S&H from the UK. I want $80+S&H from Florida
Lawrence