XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Electrical questions

Old 09-19-2015, 03:45 AM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default XJS Electrical questions

Hi all,

While removing a long-disused after market alarm system I came across some disconnected wires that originate from the ignition barrel. Does anybody know what these are for (purple-white and purple-green)? I didn't have much luck spotting them on my wiring diagrams.

Since I'm here, thought I'd throw another electrical question out there - since buying the car, my dash left and right turn signal indicators have not worked. The hazard indicator dash light does work though, and all switches (hazard switch and indicator stalk) and lights work as they should.

Complicating things, I changed all my dash bulbs to LEDs last year, and now when I first indicate I get a fraction of a second of illumination on the corresponding indicator on the dash, and then nothing. On the hazard switch, I'll get the red dash indicator blinking along nicely, with the green left and right arrows flashing out of phase with the red light - is this normal or on most cars do all three lights blink at the same time?

Now to make things really weird, the LED in the cigar bezel is always illuminated when the car is on (again, is this how these are supposed to operate?), but if I indicate left or right, the cigar bezel light will flash on and off with the indicators - now I am sure this is not meant to happen! I've attached a photo of the cigar bezel light connection - it's clearly not stock, but the green wire I'm holding goes to the lighter itself, the red-white next to it does the bezel light. So what is the green-blue wire (accompanied by the green-brown wire in the socket) in the centre console, and should it flash with the indicators?

Part of my rationale for pulling the alarm system out, was that I thought perhaps it may have been causing these issues (I assumed that like most alarms, it was wired to flash the indicators when locking/unlocking). Sadly, pulling the alarm made no difference.

Clearly none of these electrical issues are stopping my enjoyment of the car, but if anybody can shed some light I'd love to hear from you.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails XJS Electrical questions-img_1989.jpg   XJS Electrical questions-img_1990.jpg  
Old 09-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

Dave,

I also see no Purple anywhere on my '85+ wiring scribes.

I have:

Brown = Battery +ve.
White = Alternator excitor/Ignition coil +ve.
White/Yellow = Starter relay terminal W2.
White/Pink = Ignition Protection Relay.

No Purple I can find AT teh electrical section of teh ignition switch.

I have a spare electrical section somewhere????? in the shed, and if time permits tomorrow I will find it and just make sure the fuzzy stuff between the ears is not as bad as I think it is.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:54 AM

Thanks Grant,

To add a bit more detail, the wires are disconnected as I said, but still in their plug (the combination male and female bullet plug). I can't see a partner plug anywhere nearby that this could connect to. It might be easier to see in this picture.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails XJS Electrical questions-partpics_dac4151.jpg  
Old 09-19-2015, 06:36 AM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

I have seen that before.

I have no idea what it is for, and I have never seen it actually plugged in on Australian cars.

I have gone over all my wiring drawings, and manual notes I have from years ago, and nothing appears outside the electrical section of the switch itself on any of them?.

Not sure if its for the light?, but again, I find no mention anywhere.

It is ON the mechanical section, so whatever it is must be "supplied" with electrickery, and there is NO electrickery in that section.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:52 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

this is an accessory connection on the ignition that as far as i know was never used

it can be used as part of an aftermarket alarm system/immobiliser

BB

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 AM

Thanks BB,

It's very generous to build in an accessory connection for aftermarket manufacturers! Is the same barrel assembly used in the sedans? Perhaps it had a use in those cars. I pulled out the multimeter to work out how it works (i.e. if contacts are closed when a key is inserted, turned etc), but I pulled too vigorously on one of the quality Chinese leads on my multimeter, and the mongrel has developed a break - another job for tomorrow!

Dave

Old 09-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,745 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by dstary
Hi all,

While removing a long-disused after market alarm system I came across some disconnected wires that originate from the ignition barrel. Does anybody know what these are for (purple-white and purple-green)? I didn't have much luck spotting them on my wiring diagrams.

Seat belt warning light and/or warning buzzer

Purple/white to door switch, purple/green to the 'logic unit' or buzzer

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (09-19-2015)