XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The XJS market value

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by petemohr
Jaglover02 - The wheels look great! I'd like to do the same.
Where did you send them? Did you send them with the tires to be balanced? Approx. cost?
I sent them to Doug Ramey in Greer, SC. He does a lot of the NASCAR team's wheels. The wheels were in bad shape when I got them...bent, chipped, scratched, and out of balance. He fixed all the issues and powered coated and returned the wheels to me in 3 days. The cost was $i25 per wheel. I then took the wheels to my local Firestone dealer (where I previously had ordered a set of BFG Ultra High performance Comp 2 tires) and had the old wheels and tires (15" sport) replaced with the 16" five spokes.
Doug can be reached at 864-325-5679.

The following users liked this post:
petemohr (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Gorgeous kitty and interesting color features (at least to me).
First, the black wheels definitely give the kitty a special air of performance. Not only that, but the black/top black wheels combo is no doubt striking, which is also unique; it is the first time that I see it on the XJS. Is the interior Barley, or is it a lighter color, as my XJR's Oatmeal? My Barley is fine, but I do admire the lighter shade leather that you see on '95/'96 Saphire Blue cars.

Interesting how the one XJS color that typically tends to get confused with a BRG XJS is a Kingfisher Blue XJS, yet everything else color wise is so different. For one thing, the exterior paint is actually metallic, then the interior is of a lighter tone, and then the top is black...not a whole lot to confuse, really.

What is that you've done with the headlights?

Cheers,
The interior is Doeskin, lighter than Barley. The Kingfisher Blue paint is unique as in low light the car reflects the blue in the paint, and it bright sunshine the car appears green. The Growler medallion on the bonnet is also black..adding to the theme that this cat is sinister...lol
I purchased an OEM left light assembly from Welsh Ent. and found a perfect right assembly on Ebay. I had been searching for years for a good right headlight and just lucked out finally, both in the perfection and cost.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Nice '91 XJS auction - $11,000 bid and 4 days to go . . .

29K-Mile 1991 Jaguar XJ-S V12 Coupe | Bring a Trailer

Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

So many different views???

One of the favorite cars that has been in my garage was a 65/66 fast back Ford Mustang. Not a GT. In white with a black interior. C4 and 289. An ammeter, no less. Fold down back sets. Spirited and easy to drive. Drum brakes and leaf spring rear axle, lesser than a Jaguar of similar year, yeah. Or maybe not???? Known as T5's in Europe, they did durn good in salon racing vs Jag's and the like. $ difference, oh yeah????

And the 71 Hornet? Merely a Rambler with a 254 CI six and a BW similar to the ones used by Jaguar!! Capable of blowing the doors off SDC's in stop light drags!!! A descendant of that six powers my Jeep very nicely. Some records at Bonneville as well in truck form!!!

So many neat critters out there.

The lumped Jaguar is my present and perhaps last, favorite....

Carl

Old 01-27-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jaglover02
The interior is Doeskin, lighter than Barley. The Kingfisher Blue paint is unique as in low light the car reflects the blue in the paint, and it bright sunshine the car appears green. The Growler medallion on the bonnet is also black..adding to the theme that this cat is sinister...lol
I purchased an OEM left light assembly from Welsh Ent. and found a perfect right assembly on Ebay. I had been searching for years for a good right headlight and just lucked out finally, both in the perfection and cost.
As promised, I have attached a photo of the new "Cat Eyes" I recently installed in my '94 XJS. Any suggestion as to what I should use to prevent UV damage in the future?

Attached Thumbnails The XJS market value-dscf1027-2-.jpg  
ronbros (01-27-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sold for 18K..... and looks to be destined to return to the UK or Europe? Figure a couple grand for shipping....

This was a very nice, low mileage car. Definitely went for more than I would have expected though. Good to see!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 AJ16-5
Sold for 18K..... and looks to be destined to return to the UK or Europe? Figure a couple grand for shipping....

This was a very nice, low mileage car. Definitely went for more than I would have expected though. Good to see!
My car actually looks nicer then this one... Its great to see nice original coupes in fine condition go for decent money.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaglover02
As promised, I have attached a photo of the new "Cat Eyes" I recently installed in my '94 XJS. Any suggestion as to what I should use to prevent UV damage in the future?
Looks beautiful. Actually, in regards to the lens, that's a question for which I need an answer myself. About 8 years ago I replaced my left light because it looked just a little "yellowish" when compared to the other side, but nowadays I think I'm beginning to see similar from the older one. I know that now people just polish the lenses with a special compound and that's that, but as you say, how can one prevent it before it happens? No idea.

It looks like you removed the hood's front edge chrome strip to accommodate for the mesh grille, as your grille has a wide chrome frame up above and on the sides. What I did, myself, was to just paint the chrome strip BRG, just like I did with the headlight chrome frames (a la V12). Here, interesting comparison, similar achievement:

Attached Thumbnails The XJS market value-lovjags-grille.jpg   The XJS market value-cimg2174-reduced.jpg  
Jaglover02 (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NoelShort

I think the biggest factor is that they are notorious for electrical and engine fire problems. I bought one two years ago for $5000 and thought I was getting a real car knowing that I would have to put some money in it. Well here I am over two years later after it died on the way home from my purchase. I have spent over $6000 in mechanical repairs and over $5000 in cosmetics and it is in the garage as of today. I probably haven't driven the car 300 miles in two years. I drove it some last summer until it quit qnd would not start. When I bought it, every car enthusiest I told, looked at me and said "good luck with keeping it running"
However, I think it is one of the nicest looking cars ever and come hell or high water I am going to get it fixed or put a V-8 in it and drive it forever.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts
Cool

[QUOTE=Forcedair1;1392433]Looks beautiful. Actually, in regards to the lens, that's a question for which I need an answer myself. About 8 years ago I replaced my left light because it looked just a little "yellowish" when compared to the other side, but nowadays I think I'm beginning to see similar from the older one. I know that now people just polish the lenses with a special compound and that's that, but as you say, how can one prevent it before it happens? No idea.

The yellowing of the headlamp lenses is from sun exposure. Best way to slow down if not stop the sun from doing this to the lense is to apply a coat of really good car wax to the lense surface. This will give a sun screen barrier to the lense and also make them easier to clean. How often you apply a coat of wax will depend on how much the car is out in the sun and how often you wash the car but I would think every 3 to 6 months will work if the car sits out at work during the day. Once a year if the big cat is used on the weekends etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
Jaglover02 (01-30-2016), ronbros (02-11-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=LuvmyXJS';1392488]
Looks beautiful. Actually, in regards to the lens, that's a question for which I need an answer myself. About 8 years ago I replaced my left light because it looked just a little "yellowish" when compared to the other side, but nowadays I think I'm beginning to see similar from the older one. I know that now people just polish the lenses with a special compound and that's that, but as you say, how can one prevent it before it happens? No idea.

The yellowing of the headlamp lenses is from sun exposure. Best way to slow down if not stop the sun from doing this to the lense is to apply a coat of really good car wax to the lense surface. This will give a sun screen barrier to the lense and also make them easier to clean. How often you apply a coat of wax will depend on how much the car is out in the sun and how often you wash the car but I would think every 3 to 6 months will work if the car sits out at work during the day. Once a year if the big cat is used on the weekends etc.
Man, I never even thought about including the lights when I wax the kitty. Definitely will start doing it now. I noticed that in my previous comment I had my lights mixed up. The one I had replaced was the right one because on the picture it is clearly the left one that's beginning to go now. I'll just polish it and put wax on both, probably every 3 to 4 months, since I'm now committed to drive the car more often and here in SoCal that means mostly in the sun, besides, how much work is waxing a headlight...

Thanks for the tip.
Cheers,

Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NoelShort
I think the biggest factor is that they are notorious for electrical and engine fire problems. I bought one two years ago for $5000 and thought I was getting a real car knowing that I would have to put some money in it. Well here I am over two years later after it died on the way home from my purchase. I have spent over $6000 in mechanical repairs and over $5000 in cosmetics and it is in the garage as of today. I probably haven't driven the car 300 miles in two years. I drove it some last summer until it quit qnd would not start. When I bought it, every car enthusiest I told, looked at me and said "good luck with keeping it running"
However, I think it is one of the nicest looking cars ever and come hell or high water I am going to get it fixed or put a V-8 in it and drive it forever.
Wow, $11k spent, that hurts. What was the mechanical problem that cost so much? How many miles does it have now? I have spent a good amount on mine ('94 straight six) but it's been mostly on cosmetics and conveniencies and improvements, but never that much on mechanical or electrical problems; I have actually spent more on my XJR with elctrical gremlins, but the XJS has been one of the most reliable cars that I have own.

Cheers,

Old 01-30-2016, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,078 Likes on 5,346 Posts

I think the biggest factor is that they are notorious for electrical and engine fire problems. I bought one two years ago for $5000 and thought I was getting a real car knowing that I would have to put some money in it. Well here I am over two years later after it died on the way home from my purchase. I have spent over $6000 in mechanical repairs and over $5000 in cosmetics and it is in the garage as of today. I probably haven't driven the car 300 miles in two years. I drove it some last summer until it quit qnd would not start. When I bought it, every car enthusiest I told, looked at me and said "good luck with keeping it running".
Sadly, the fact is that you have been charged 6000 usd for repairs, but the repairs that were required to make the car reliable have not been done. This might be from ignorance on the part of the garage, or perhaps the car was in such a bad state mechanically that you were royally ripped off by the original seller. As I think you did not mention which model and engine you have, it is hard to go further. But if you have a V12 there are a few things that are required to make the car extremely reliable, almost all of which are electrical, and none of which should cost anything remotely like 6000 usd. Others will speak for the 6 cylinder cars, but they are even more straightforward and need even less work to make reliable.

It is great news that you like the car so much, so why not post about the problems that remain, and I would be very surprised if the guys on the forum cannot help you make your car 100% trustworthy with relatively little extra expense. Your story, of paying garages lots of money to NOT make the car reliable, is all too common, I am afraid.
With heartfelt sympathy, but hope for the future!
Greg

Old 01-30-2016, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought the car, I had the fuel rail hoses all replaced, water pump replaced, radiator redone, installed an aftermarket "Pertronics" ignition system, new coil and plug wires, converted distributor to match Pertronic system.
After burning out two coils we took the Pertronic system out and reinstalled the Lucas ignition system, put on a new engine wiring harness, replaced resistor pack which controls the injectors. The ECU have been switched from a donor car and checked OK. Rochchester Valve has been checked out. Thought everything was good and then it started dying when engine is cold after about a mile or two, if you step on the accelerator. After it dies, if you shut off the igniton and restart and the engine and the heat gage starts to move, it runs fine and can be driven all day. I have also replaced the ski slope, new leather seats, new carpet, replaced the cigar lighter with a 12vdc receptacle.
There are probably a few other things I have forgot to mention. Excuse my lack of the proper nomenclature but I'm new to Jaguar V-12's.
Thanks
Noel

Old 01-30-2016, 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=Forcedair1;1392519]
Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'

Man, I never even thought about including the lights when I wax the kitty. Definitely will start doing it now. I noticed that in my previous comment I had my lights mixed up. The one I had replaced was the right one because on the picture it is clearly the left one that's beginning to go now. I'll just polish it and put wax on both, probably every 3 to 4 months, since I'm now committed to drive the car more often and here in SoCal that means mostly in the sun, besides, how much work is waxing a headlight...

Thanks for the tip.
Cheers,
My detailer recommended #20 Meguiar'ss poly sealant as well as using a good wax with UV blockers. I just bought Meguiar's High Tech Yellow wax that is a combination of carnauba wax and polymers. Should give a deep gloss paint shine and protect the headlight lenses also. Thanks to all on this thread that have given us good feedback.

Forcedair1 (02-01-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 06:55 PM

When I bought the car, I had the fuel rail hoses all replaced, water pump replaced, radiator redone, installed an aftermarket "Pertronics" ignition system, new coil and plug wires, converted distributor to match Pertronic system.
After burning out two coils we took the Pertronic system out and reinstalled the Lucas ignition system, put on a new engine wiring harness, replaced resistor pack which controls the injectors. The ECU have been switched from a donor car and checked OK. Rochchester Valve has been checked out. Thought everything was good and then it started dying when engine is cold after about a mile or two, if you step on the accelerator. After it dies, if you shut off the igniton and restart and the engine and the heat gage starts to move, it runs fine and can be driven all day. I have also replaced the ski slope, new leather seats, new carpet, replaced the cigar lighter with a 12vdc receptacle.
There are probably a few other things I have forgot to mention. Excuse my lack of the proper nomenclature but I'm new to Jaguar V-12's.
Thanks
Noel
Your issue with the Jag not starting and running well when cold could be the same issue I just solved with my '94 6 cyl. I had to replace the fuel pump, fuel pump sensor, and fuel pressure regulator because the engine ran very rough on a cold start with blue smoke pouring out the exhaust. And the engine would stall and cut off until the engine reached operating temperature. The car ran well for a couple of weeks after the new parts were installed, then wouldn't cold start again. I figured it couldn't be a fuel problem at that point and had to be in the ignition. First thing I checked was the coil. Voilla! I found a corroded coil wire with some corrosion also in the coil coupling (water infusion). Once it was cleaned out, the car runs with no more issues. So I had two issues with the fuel system masking the ignition issue. I hope this might help you also.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi!
I just saw a Very Nice 1996 Corvette convertible sell for $10k (US) on a tv show
called "Fast and Loud".The shop picked it up for about $5k and did some cleanup on it.
They wanted $15k but, settled for $10k.
So, if a 1996 Corvette can sell for $10k, I feel like my wife's 94 2+2 should be in
a similar range or better.
I've owned a 1990 and a 1994 Corvette coupes and they are nice.
But, I prefer the elegance the XJS displays and the feeling of being in a "Grand" auto.
You know, sort of like royalty or being in a special reserved group.
And I don't mean the "Grey Poupon" crowd either. That is for the XJ and the Vanden Plas
Group. No slight intended as I have a 99 Vanden Plas and it is "da bomb" for long trips.

Happy Trails and P O R - Press On Regardless

Old 02-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

[QUOTE=LuvmyXJS';1392488]

my headlght lens are real glass ,pure white, no yellow staining!

37 yrs old, you maybe could change to glass?

Attached Thumbnails The XJS market value-dscn8687.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=ronbros;1401022]
Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'

my headlght lens are real glass ,pure white, no yellow staining!

37 yrs old, you maybe could change to glass?
That sure sounds like the answer, but where would you find such thing, I mean, the correct GLASS application lense? I have no doubt that starting to make headlight lenses out of plastic (most, or all manufacturers) was a terrible idea, where you see 10 year old top $$ cars with totally ruined, very dull headlights. Glass lenses would certainly resolve the issue so, where do I get my XJS, glass, US version lenses?

Cheers,

Old 02-12-2016, 07:46 AM

I've had my '94 xjs for 21+ years and yes I've had to spend some big coin in the last few years to keep the car up to my standards and replace worn/failed parts, but the absolute joy I get every time I get behind the wheel or just walk out into my garage to pittle with some minor issue it is the best part of my day! Like many of you that have commented on this thread, I have no intentions of selling my xjs and will pass it on when I take that final drive.

Roger95 (02-13-2016)

Quick Reply: The XJS market value