XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Yet another Speedometer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Yet another Speedometer question

My 1992 has the speedo in KPH only. No MPH on the dial....
If I were to replace the speedo dial with a dual KPH/MPH dial does it have to be with KPH primary in order for it to function ?
Or asking the question another way:- it seems to me looking at dash diagrams, that the odometer and trip meter are separate from the speedo dial, so the odometer would not be affected by simply changing the speedo dial. Is this correct ?
See http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/il...ges/mn5255.png

Any feedback gratefully received.

Gerry T.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

I just did that. My car also had KPH only. I had a KPH/MPH dial made by a company in the UK. (It cost a lot as l had to pay their setup costs !!, now its cheaper for others...lol). It was easyish to change over, I had to take the needle off and replace the dial as at that time l couldn't find a dial with both on anywhere. This doesn't affect the odo. which still reads in Km. I still have a new dial if you're interested in this fix.

Last edited by malc4d; 01-28-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I might have a MPH/KMH dial in the coming weeks, which I will need to change to KMH only.
We might swap?

Eric

Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Eric, if you buy the car read above....

Last edited by malc4d; 01-28-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by malc4d
I just did that. My car also had KPH only. I had a KPH/MPH dial made by a company in the UK. (It cost a lot as l had to pay their setup costs !!, now its cheaper for others...lol). It was easyish to change over, I had to take the needle off and replace the dial as at that time l couldn't find a dial with both on anywhere. This doesn't affect the odo. which still reads in Km. I still have a new dial if you're interested in this fix.
Yes, I did see your comment on another thread about replacing only the dial. I briefly considered that option but decided that fiddling with the needle was too tricky, and I'd end up making a mess of things. (I could not find a precise set of instructions on how to change or over-lay the dial anywhere on line...)
So, I thought switching the complete speedo dial and gubbins (Item 3 on the link above) was the easier way, provided that the odo and trip meters (Item 9 on the link) were NOT part of, or linked to, the dial.
Many thanks for your reply.

Gerry T.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a complete instrument panel for a XJS with all the gauges. See the photos - attached. Fits (v) 179737 to (v) 226645. This panel came from the UK for my XJS. Mert

Attached Thumbnails Yet another Speedometer question-100_2975.jpg   Yet another Speedometer question-100_2976.jpg   Yet another Speedometer question-100_2977.jpg   Yet another Speedometer question-100_2978.jpg   Yet another Speedometer question-100_2979.jpg  

Yet another Speedometer question-100_2980.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Eric, if you buy the car read above....
Yeah, I know they might be on ebay, although it seems MPH only.
I bought a whole KMH cluster for my XJ8 (but ended up creating 1 out of 2), and bought 'dials only' in Germany to change the wife's SLK to KMH.

I figured that for a XJS changing the complete dial is an alternative, especially like with Garry, where we both have what the other needs.

But heee, let me first see if I will be an XJS owner before being part of an exchange .

Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 AM

I have found a few complete speedos on-line with varying prices. Keep in mind that my existing speedo is KPH only. The dials that are most available are MPH/kph which I could live with.
But KPH/mph dials are as scarce as hen's teeth and expensive, and it seems to me that a dial overlay is the only option, which is what I don't want to do.

Gerry T.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Its not an overlay, as its back lit overlays don't work. it replaces the dial already there. Its really simple to do. the needle pulls off, change the dial put the needle back on check it reads ok and off ya go.

I would recommend getting a KPH as the main because as you already said, it is difficult to see the smaller numbers.

Keep checking Ebay.de or other European sites as the UK uses the MPH setup.

Last edited by malc4d; 01-29-2016 at 10:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gerryxjs (08-13-2020)
Old 01-29-2016, 11:08 AM

Its not an overlay, as its back lit overlays don't work. it replaces the dial already there. Its really simple to do. the needle pulls off, change the dial put the needle back on check it reads ok and off ya go.
I would recommend getting a KPH as the main because as you already said, it is difficult to see the smaller numbers.
Keep checking Ebay.de or other European sites as the UK uses the MPH setup.

If (IF) you ordered your dial from Jaguar XJS KMH Speedo meter clocks. Dials do you have the instructions ? Can you post on here ?
I accept what you say about pull of the needle etc., but I am bound to have trouble with "check it reads OK" because as sure as eggs is eggs, I'll break, lose, bend or position the needle wrong !!

Sorry you didn't win that last Powerball, by the way...

:-)

Gerry T.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Why, the commotion, either way ?

In about 1964 while stationed in Germany, I bought a used 50 Chevrolet. Assembled in Belgium, but almost exactly like the USa version. Except a KLMH only speedo. I merely leaned the MPH equivalent and motored on. When my tour was over, I brought it home. NY to El Paso in three days. steady at 60 MOPH max. mental conversion did keep me on pace.

My lump has speedo issues. GM pulses don't match Jaguar pulses.
Indicated 49 MPH is actual 25 mph. I usually drive by tach to avoid speeding. I have an electronic dampenr to correct. Migh solder it in some day....

Carl

Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Why, the commotion, either way ?

In about 1964 while stationed in Germany, I bought a used 50 Chevrolet. Assembled in Belgium, but almost exactly like the USa version. Except a KLMH only speedo. I merely leaned the MPH equivalent and motored on. When my tour was over, I brought it home. NY to El Paso in three days. steady at 60 MOPH max. mental conversion did keep me on pace.
My lump has speedo issues. GM pulses don't match Jaguar pulses.
Indicated 49 MPH is actual 25 mph. I usually drive by tach to avoid speeding. I have an electronic dampenr to correct. Migh solder it in some day....

Carl

Well I think most of us know that 30=50 and 60=100 and all that, but if I can change it to dual speedo for a reasonable price and effort, it's worth it.

I mean to say, I got sick of counting kms per fuel fill up and decided it was easier to replace the fuel sender in the tank and be done with it ...!!

Gerry T.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gerry,
I dont know if you resolved your problem yet, but you need to change the parcial and total counter in the back of the dilas for one in MPH.
I did that on my XJS in MPH so I had to order to Jaguar the pinion set in KPH.
I think these parts are now obsolete but you can buy a complete cluster in MPH and change yours.
Hope this helps.
Jorge.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Been a while but when l did mine I also changed out the KM to MLs it was easyish as l also converted the KM into miles and set the dials to the correct amount. I also had to get a US trip computer as you don't have a Imp gal to US gal switch like on the older models. I left the radio as original as it still picks up the stations I listen to.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

And do you still have the original KM parts in stock.

I could be interested.

Thanks.

Regrads.

Jorge.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by BRG100
Hi Gerry,
I dont know if you resolved your problem yet, but you need to change the parcial and total counter in the back of the dilas for one in MPH.
I did that on my XJS in MPH so I had to order to Jaguar the pinion set in KPH.
I think these parts are now obsolete but you can buy a complete cluster in MPH and change yours.
Hope this helps.
Jorge.
I was or would be happy just changing the dial to show MPH/KmPH (or vice versa) I am not really keen on changing the odometer to MPH.So I am just interested in the visual speedo only. I have NO idea why Jag had all the different dials anyway...four of them:- MPH, MPH/KmPH, KmPH and KmPH/MPH which seems a wee bit OTT.But I have done nothing about it at all.I did consider changing the complete speedo/odo head with another dial from an XJS from a wreckers. But, of course the odo will be wrong but the dial would show both scales !!!