XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07 XK oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 07 XK oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges

Hi there, call me old fashioned but I like being able to view oil press and water temp gauges. I just recently purchased an 07 XK - and while I like driving the car, I miss the full instrumentation. Here goes, a few years ago I grafted a dual pillar gauge pod onto an existing stock pillar. After some considerable sanding and recovering it came out reaalllly nice. I was thinking about doing the same for the XK. Thoughts? There are some very nice modern looking digital gauges out there which can then be mounted to the pods. I have never worked on Jags so someone may be able to enlighten me on the difficulty (or ease) of hooking up the sender units…. I will probably leave it to my mechanic…Am I nuts?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 PM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to encourage or discourage the notion.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Fstbmw1 (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Fstbmw1;1189868]Hi there, call me old fashioned but I like being able to view oil press and water temp gauges. I just recently purchased an 07 XK - and while I like driving the car, I miss the full instrumentation.

you would be better off purchasing an oil pressure tranducer that is used in the aircraft industry and tap it into one of the 2 ports on the bottom of the engine.

YOu can thn get the readings thru telemetry to a obd link mx bluetooth and read the oil pressure readings in real time. you can buy it thru any avionics mag. Both raytheon and northrup sell these transducers.

They are more accurate than anything you can purchase for a car

Old 03-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

If you do make an A pillar pod that would be a great way of adding a couple gauges. There is absolutely no reason a standard electronic automotive sensored gauge won't work well. The only problem is, with this car it's not "are there any factory locations to plug a sensor in or T into", it is "what all am going to have to take apart to get to those areas?".

Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Forgot to add. Some people use a Bluetooth OBD tool and the android OS app torque (I think that's what it is called) to monitor these things on their phones since the car does have the sensors already sending info to the ecu. I am about to try it out as well since boost and AFR were there two gauges I added to my previous vehicle and I miss them.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by RainsFather
If you do make an A pillar pod that would be a great way of adding a couple gauges. There is absolutely no reason a standard electronic automotive sensored gauge won't work well. The only problem is, with this car it's not "are there any factory locations to plug a sensor in or T into", it is "what all am going to have to take apart to get to those areas?".
I think most of us would like to have 3 gauges . Water Temp. , oil pressure and voltage. That would do the trick. There are options out there but it would be great to get a turn key solution. I am using the Torque pro app but it is not an integrated solution and it does not have oil pressure capability built into the Jag. Hopefully they'll be something that comes up .

Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. For me, a big part of thinking of a gauge pod set up is that I like to see the information as I drive. I appreciate that it may not be as accurate as some of the 'apps' available but a sporty cruiser as the XK should have come with some gauges. 'jagtoes' I agree, especially for the XK a live voltage meter would also be a nice addition. I am pretty busy on a project at the moment but later on in the year I shall investigate if this crazy idea is feasible or not… from a sending unit 'hook up' perspective.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. For me, a big part of thinking of a gauge pod set up is that I like to see the information as I drive. I appreciate that it may not be as accurate as some of the 'apps' available but a sporty cruiser as the XK should have come with some gauges. 'jagtoes' I agree, especially for the XK a live voltage meter would also be a nice addition. I am pretty busy on a project at the moment but later on in the year I shall investigate if this crazy idea is feasible or not… from a sending unit 'hook up' perspective.
Have you seen this thread for gauges on the touch screen? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-138621/

Old 03-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Have you seen this thread for gauges on the touch screen? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-138621/
Yes and thanks again. It would be nice to get this in a DIY kit . It looks like a lot of work to install at this point but I guess we are all looking for a plug and play option. This is most likely exactly what everyone would want to see and the only difference would be an oil pressure gauge. Is something like this on your drawing board ?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

It might be a logical add-on to the integrated backup camera kit once that is finished.

If I do it, chances are it would leverage existing products, but relayed to the vehicle's touchscreen, so it probably will work with your smartphone.

Not sure if I am doing it yet, but I am thinking about it.

The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
jagtoes (03-24-2015), Ngarara (03-24-2015), ralphwg (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

It might be a logical add-on to the integrated backup camera kit once that is finished.

If I do it, chances are it would leverage existing products, but relayed to the vehicle's touchscreen, so it probably will work with your smartphone.

Not sure if I am doing it yet, but I am thinking about it.
I was just reading the post on USB Port and looking at post #11 there is a plug and play unit that plugs into the iphone plug and lets you stream your iphone play list into your infotainment unit. Now my simple mind says why can't something simple like this be made to transmit iphone or android app for torque pro into your infotainment unit. I'm thinking out of the box here but when I mention a plug and play gauge kit I envision plugging an adapter into the OBDII outlet and stream BT data to this adapter that is plugged into the iphone cable or stream from OBDII to iphone/tablet and then stream from that to an adapter on the iphone cable which puts the gauges on the screen. It seems simple in my head but I'm assuming it can't be done yet. Is this practical? Just thinking out loud

Old 03-24-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I'm hoping the remote OBD displays (the ones that are primarily for HUD speedos) will get a bit more sophisticated, because I don't want to lose the standard touchscreen display just to get gauges. There are a couple that show engine temp; haven't seen one that does oil pressure yet. I'm hoping one will come along that has more customisation available, then it can compete for dash space with my TomTom, V1 and Road Angel

Old 03-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I was just reading the post on USB Port and looking at post #11 there is a plug and play unit that plugs into the iphone plug and lets you stream your iphone play list into your infotainment unit. Now my simple mind says why can't something simple like this be made to transmit iphone or android app for torque pro into your infotainment unit. I'm thinking out of the box here but when I mention a plug and play gauge kit I envision plugging an adapter into the OBDII outlet and stream BT data to this adapter that is plugged into the iphone cable or stream from OBDII to iphone/tablet and then stream from that to an adapter on the iphone cable which puts the gauges on the screen. It seems simple in my head but I'm assuming it can't be done yet. Is this practical? Just thinking out loud
It actually can be done now. If you do a wired version you need to get a video adapter for your phone and feed the OBDII app. video into a GVIF adapter.

You can even go wireless. You need to set up a WiFi network inside the car. Then you can use Chromecast to stream the app from your phone to an HDMI to composite video adapter with Chromecast attached, and feed the composite video into the GVIF adapter.

If you use a Kiwi OBDII adapter (https://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSST2WIFI) you can even add whichever additional sensors you want.

If I do a product, I will bundle the devices together in a package with easy to follow instructions and add some tweaks to make it as seamless as possible.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-24-2015 at 07:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
jagtoes (03-24-2015), Ngarara (03-25-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

It actually can be done now. If you do a wired version you need to get a video adapter for your phone and feed the OBDII app. video into a GVIF adapter.

You can even go wireless. You need to set up a WiFi network inside the car. Then you can use Chromecast to stream the app from your phone to an HDMI to composite video adapter with Chromecast attached, and feed the composite video into the GVIF adapter.

If you use a Kiwi OBDII adapter (https://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSST2WIFI) you can even add whichever additional sensors you want.

If I do a product, I will bundle the devices together in a package with easy to follow instructions and add some tweaks to make it as seamless as possible.
The Kiwi seems like the same as the ELM and torque pro 2 . Now if you can wirelessley send the sensor data to a plugged in iphone and display it on the Jag screen now we got it. The Kiwi give the extra bonus of adding additonal sensors like a BT oil pressure sensor. I'm not a tech guru here but as things evolve I bet this can be a plug and play kit in the future. Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I use an OBD reader and feed the data to My Galaxy S4 where I have loaded in the Torque Pro app. The Galaxy is mounted on the left center air conditioning vent with an inexpensive mount bought off of either Amazon or Ebay (I can't remember which). Since having the phone on all the time chews through the battery very rapidly I connect a power line to the cigarette lighter in the ashtray mounted under the dashboard. It doesn't look prety or built-in, but I get constant temp, battery, and MAF readings as well as rpms and road speed.

I don't use it around town, but I use it on road trips in excess of 100 miles each way. The only problem I have with this method is that sometimes I have difficulty getting the bluetooth communications to work properly. Total cost of solution - under $50.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts
Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

According to one of the replies to my thread "oil level sensor on 5.0?" I posted in the F-type section our existing oil level sensor also reads oil temperature, jag just doesn't use the data in its software. You may be able to display oil temp if you intercept the data stream

Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Fly this is a great idea and slick installation. My hats off to you for coming up with it and how it functions. It looked like a good degree of disassemble and re-assembly but the results are I suspect what we are all looking for. What would be nicer is to have it more plug and play. Also it would be nice if you didn't need the switch and just by switching screen functions you have instead of an ipod screen a gauge screen. Keep it up and nice solution.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Unfortunately, while the HKS Camp2 is a clever solution, it is no longer being made.