XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Stay clear of this one...

Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Stay clear of this one...

I wasted my time and money looking at this XKR-S a few weeks back. Condition is Not as described. Front end damage and surprisingly bad paint work... I would only consider this if I wanted a track car.

VIN: SAJWA4HA6CMB44763

Cars for Sale: 2012 Jaguar XK R-S Coupe in Plano, TX 75024: Coupe Details - 352613672 - AutoTrader.com

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Just goes to show you how much we should rely on a Carfax report. One of the biggest scams going.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Question

I looked at this ad, as well. For me the tip-off was the tires being replaced at 2800 miles. Sounded like it was probably used in the Jaguar driving events. If so, they SHOULD really declare that kind of out-of-ordinary usage!

Albert

Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Just goes to show you how much we should rely on a Carfax report. One of the biggest scams going.
I am not convinced that Carfax is a scam. Carfax is not foolproof however. Only service and registrations that are reported to Carfax go on the report.

If a car such as the one mentioned had front end damage or suspension damage and was repaired by an independent shop, and not reported to Carfax, it won't be on a Carfax report.

The Carfax is a good start for reference, but inspection, and perhaps a third party inspection of a $80,000 car is warranted. The same goes with AutoCheck and a few other sources.

Since this car came from an auto auction it would be nice to know what the car sold for at the auction vs. what the dealer in Texas is asking for the car.

As with any automobile purchase, due diligence and investigation is always warranted, especially at these prices for premium, luxury type cars.

For those that wonder about a Carfax report, the question remains "How does Carfax get the information"?

This article might help answer many of these types of questions.

Take a few minutes of your time to read this article.

How Does Information Get On a CARFAX*Report? | Broken Secrets

Also

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/buying...ng/carfax2.htm

Hope this helps.

Last edited by richzak; 02-08-2014 at 10:49 AM.
sklimii (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by hdavidson
Condition is Not as described
Condition isn't really described at all - in fact, that's one of the limpest ads I've seen for a car; it's just generic boilerplate. There's nothing about this particular car at all. I suppose, if you say nothing, you can't be accused of misrepresentation, but it's a weird way to advertise.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

As a owner of a brand new XKRS and the owner of a 8 month via lease pre -owned XKR I can say the following:

There is nothing more amazing than a new car!!! If u treat it right it's newish forever!!!

The damage in my XKR was astounding and I bought the car with buying eyes. The guy had to be TRYING to do the damage he did...wow. He even cut the leather on the door!!! Wtf!!

Lesson learned!

MaximA (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I looked at this ad, as well. For me the tip-off was the tires being replaced at 2800 miles. Sounded like it was probably used in the Jaguar driving events. If so, they SHOULD really declare that kind of out-of-ordinary usage!

Albert
I thought the exact same thing. At the time, there were a couple of what I thought might be "questionable" cars... I just used them as a bit of leverage when negotiating for the well-documented CPO car that I really wanted.

Good call-out, OP!

Rich

Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Condition isn't really described at all - in fact, that's one of the limpest ads I've seen for a car; it's just generic boilerplate. There's nothing about this particular car at all. I suppose, if you say nothing, you can't be accused of misrepresentation, but it's a weird way to advertise.

True but I also had several conversation with the sales rep at Park Place before making the trip. I warned them I was very OCD but this car was a complete joke. They even tried to BS it hadn't been painted until the manager came out and I was able to point out overspray on the plastics under the hood and in the wheel arches. Not only would I steer clear of this car but I'd also never deal with this dealership either...

Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by axr6

Albert

Agree re declaring its history. In addition the current tires have excessive wear/heat damage. Further evidence it was used on the track after the tires were replaced.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:24 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by hdavidson
I wasted my time and money looking at this XKR-S a few weeks back. Condition is Not as described. Front end damage and surprisingly bad paint work... I would only consider this if I wanted a track car.

VIN: SAJWA4HA6CMB44763

Cars for Sale: 2012 Jaguar XK R-S Coupe in Plano, TX 75024: Coupe Details - 352613672 - AutoTrader.com

No, you didn't waste your time. You done yourself right by doing your due diligence and avoided a mess. Well done.

Last edited by DGL; 02-08-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Did Jaguar previously offer a similar 'experience' to this F-Type one at Circuit of the Americas when they were promoting the XKR-S?

https://jaguar.promo.eprize.com/villain/

I wonder where those white, unregistered, low mileage vehicles went after the event ...........

Graham

Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I done a bit more research on this car. I called the selling dealer and they told me the car was never a promotion car and only had cosmetic paint work done on the front bumper. They went on to say the car was in excellent condition. I looked at the carfax report and noticed the import dealer was coleeuropean.com. Before buying my 2013 XKR, I looked at a black 2013 XKR-S at a Ferrari dealership. The car came from the same dealer coleeuropean.com when imported. The salesperson told me the car was lady driven and she found it too powerful. The salesperson also said the car was mint. Then I found out the CF front splitter sides and bottom were painted black. I asked the saleslady to provide me with some detailed pictures which she reluctantly did. I lost trust in the saleslady and called the manager who told me the car was owned by a 40ish gentleman. I told him about what the saleslady told me and the manager when on to say "maybe his wife drove it too". The sales lady instructed coleeuropean.com to not talk to me bout the car and to go through her if I had any questions. This became a joke. I was also very interested in the car and was willing to pay above market for the car, if I only had established a trustworthy relationship with the dealership.

I'm wondering if coleeuropean.com has a habit of buying or dealing with "program promotion cars". When buying used exotic cars the buyer really needs to due his due diligence and than some and discount what ever a salesperson says. I would even go to the extent of having a written affidavit signed by the seller which survives the purchase and sale agreement. If they are unwilling to sign the affidavit then they are not being truthful. I tried to call coleeurpean.com but their 800 number is not accessible from Canada and I'm not seriously interested in the car so my research ends here. Maybe someone else will like to call them and dig out the dirt.

Edit: The Ferrari dealer that had the black 2013 XKR-S, I was interested in, was Boardwalk Ferrari Maserati Plato, Texas. The VIN is SAJWA4HA0DMB48986.

Last edited by DGL; 02-10-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
...I'm wondering if coleeuropean.com has a habit of buying or dealing with "program promotion cars". When buying used exotic cars the buyer really needs to due his due diligence and than some and discount what ever a salesperson says. I would even go to the extent of having a written affidavit signed by the seller which survives the purchase and sale agreement. If they are unwilling to sign the affidavit then they are not being truthful. I tried to call coleeurpean.com but their 800 number is not accessible from Canada and I'm not seriously interested in the car so my research ends here. Maybe someone else will like to call them and dig out the dirt.....
It is only my speculation after seeing a number of XKRs and XKR-S come up with low mileages, never registered as a personal vehicle = program cars. I think that after Jaguar of NA is done with the event cars, they tend to distribute them to local dealerships. How the allocation is done is just a guess.

I do not think that it is fair to sell these cars by lying about them and trying to hide their histories; The dealers darn well know the historical use of those cars and they SHOULD declare if they were used in events, high speed, or not.

When I look at XKRs, XKR-S used car listings, the first thing on CARFAX that I am looking for is to have it sold and registered as a "personal use" vehicle. Not sure if that is foolproof way of avoiding program cars but, it is my way...

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 02-10-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I've seen several Jaguar program promotion cars on Manheim wholesale auctions only open to Jaguar dealerships to bid on.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The car itself is pretty good at preventing abuse - if you drive it like a nutter, the worst you'll do is shred the tires (as long as you don't hit anything). The ECU & TCU keep things under control, and will drop to 'restricted performance' mode if anything exceeds the limits. So, provided a car has been serviced regularly and has no accident damage, it's probably fine, even if it's been driven enthusiastically.

What would worry me about these promotional vehicles is that they were not run-in properly. You're supposed to keep the revs under 3500 until the engine is up to temp (and how can you tell, with no gauge?), avoid prolonged or heavy brake use, avoid full throttle, keep it under 120 mph and "Do not participate in motor racing events, track days, sports driving schools or similar for the first 8000 km (4975 miles)". Does any of that sound compatible with a car given to journos and prospective customers to 'go and play with'?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
hdavidson (02-12-2014), SoCal Babe (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I say if one is going to buy used buy a one owner from ONLY a Jaguar dealer and research the previous owner. If bought at an auction by the dealer do not buy it! I don't care if it is a Jaguar only dealer auction. Had a Jaguar dealer tell me they never buy from an auction to many unknowns that the dealers cannot find out about. Once a dealer sells bad used cars there goes the dealers reputation. Dealers get rid of bad trades for that reason and then you can go to buy here pay here to get one.

v8cat (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Doomsayer?

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The car itself is pretty good at preventing abuse - if you drive it like a nutter, the worst you'll do is shred the tires (as long as you don't hit anything). The ECU & TCU keep things under control, and will drop to 'restricted performance' mode if anything exceeds the limits. So, provided a car has been serviced regularly and has no accident damage, it's probably fine, even if it's been driven enthusiastically.

What would worry me about these promotional vehicles is that they were not run-in properly. You're supposed to keep the revs under 3500 until the engine is up to temp (and how can you tell, with no gauge?), avoid prolonged or heavy brake use, avoid full throttle, keep it under 120 mph and "Do not participate in motor racing events, track days, sports driving schools or similar for the first 8000 km (4975 miles)". Does any of that sound compatible with a car given to journos and prospective customers to 'go and play with'?
I am not trying to rain on anyone buying a car, but I made it perfectly clear that I was given the opportunuty to drive more than 1 program car, from different mgr's. and the whole point to drive the car was to crush it. I am not the only one that does this. I have never seen a program car, (and I have been in hte auto manufact. business for years) that hasnt been crushed that wasnt resold as new , being driven by a little old lady. I have said it befor: STAY AWAY FROM PROGRAM CARS

Boston XK (02-13-2014)