XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Thought we bought a NEW 2013 XKR coupe but ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thought we bought a NEW 2013 XKR coupe but ?

On May 12, 2014 my wife and I purchased a new 2013 Jaguar XKR coupe off the showroom floor from a Jaguar/Landrover dealership in Houston. We were assured this car was new and warranty would start when we purchased the car. We test drove the car and loved it.

My wife had typed up a note stating that we were purchasing a NEW car and the dealership Sales Manager signed it. We bought the car on May 12, 2014 and I wrote them a check. I was told at the time of purchase that I would qualify to attend the Jaguar Driving Academy on Jaguar's dime if I attended within one year of our purchase.

I called my salesman to inquire what I needed to do to attend and he did not know. I called The Jaguar Driving Academy and talked with Al and he explained that when the car was purchased the dealership sent the paperwork into Jaguar USA and that then they authorized a third party vendor to issue a PIN number and would be e-mailed to me. I questioned why this should take over 5 months.

He ran the Vin number of my car and told me it was a XK and Not a XKR, I assured him I had purchased the XKR coupe and he said he would do more research and call me back. I received a e-mail a few days later and he stated I had indeed purchased a XKR BUT the car was a used car and did not qualify. We were in shock with this news. A friend that sells cars for Chevrolet told me to call the service manager at another dealership and give him my Vin number and ask when Jaguar records show that the car was placed in service, the answer was it was placed in service March 31, 2014 and we bought this NEW car on March 12, 2014.

At no time during our purchase was anything disclosed that the car was already in service. We were assured that the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty would start on May 12, 2014. We would has never known about this if I had not tried to sign up for the Driving Academy. We feel as though we have been lied to and deceived by this dealership. When we confronted the New car Manager he assured me that they would get me into the Driving Academy, but at this point I don't know what to do.

I feel cheated and only now does the dealership want to fix this, they still have not addressed the issue with the in service date. Has anyone ran into this before or can offer any advise?

Last edited by Cambo; 10-30-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: made readable by adding breaks...
Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Due diligence by the buyer is always a good trait to have. Sounds like they may have mislead you somewhat.

How many miles were on the car when purchased? The difference in service date is only 19 days. Sounds like something weird happened with the service dates. Perhaps a typo?

Just because the service date is 19 days difference are, you 100% sure that your car was a "used car".

All sounds strange to me. Pay a few bucks to purchase a Carfax ($39.99) and see what it says, or have the dealer supply you with one. I am quite sure the car dealer can provide a Carfax or AutoCheck report in minutes as all car dealers pay a flat fee to carfax and Autocheck for unlimited reports. They can easily run the report and email you a copy within minutes of your request.

This where I would start. Sounds like the dealership wants to make good on the deal.

Keep us posted on this interesting ordeal.

The following users liked this post:
texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Richzak's suggestions are good ones. Make sure you keep a written diary of what is going on here and be prepared to take the issue to Jaguar USA/North America in New Jersey as a next step in case you can't get any satisfaction from your dealer. Good luck and keep us posted.

texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:24 PM

Guys, the way I found this out is when the Driving Academy sent me a e-mail telling me my car was used per Jaguar records even though my wife and I show as the first owners. My friend from Chevrolet thinks that there was one last Jaguar incentive available to the dealer if the car was put in service by March 31, 2014 and he believes the dealer put it in service to collect the incentive, again none of this was disclosed to us at time of purchase. We just feel as though we were cheated. At this point I do not trust anything they tell me.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

What happens here is that some cars are designated at dealer demonstrators even before they are first registered. For some reason that lets the dealer have more latitude with giving a discount of the list price because they are essentially used. So I recently bought my missus a new Volvo v40T5 CC, but even though it was unregistered with our transport department, it had been registered with Volvo as a demo. So with about 25km on the clock, it was a "used" car and the warranty started from the date it was registered with Volvo as a demo, about 2 months before I bought it.

Check it all out. I wouldn't let it take the gloss off the purchase of an awesome machine, but you should get some sort of make good from the dealer - maybe a warranty extension, free services, or $$.

texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

If your dealer registered the vehicle with Jaguar as sold before it was actually sold to you to get an incentive of some sort from Jaguar and then sold the car as new to you; that smacks of a fraud on either Jaguar, you or both. If that is the case, I don't think the dealer would want this to be brought to the attention of Jaguar NA. Therefore you may have some leverage with the dealer to get this resolved in your favor.

texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 06:18 PM

This is what upsets me, we questioned the dealer as to whether the car was a demo or a new car, my wife had even typed up a note to be signed by the dealership that the car was in fact new and the New car Manager signed it. We are both retired and have been around the block a couple of times and are not as trusting as we were when we were younger, have found out the hard way that sometimes people will lie to you. After all the precautions we had taken we thought we had all the bases covered, guess not. Part of me wants to give them the car back but we both love it.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I would escalate this pretty quickly if the Sales Manager isn't being responsive. Contact the owner of the franchise, or the General Manager. Then take it to Jaguar NA.

Escalate it quickly so they know you won't go away.. if you give them enough of a headache they should take care of it.

BBB is also an option.

texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Press them to take the car and get a full refund. Hopefully they'll want to settle with a different in service date and the driving academy. If not, give the car back and move on.

texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
I would escalate this pretty quickly if the Sales Manager isn't being responsive. Contact the owner of the franchise, or the General Manager. Then take it to Jaguar NA.

Escalate it quickly so they know you won't go away.. if you give them enough of a headache they should take care of it.

BBB is also an option.
I would agree to escalating this through the dealership and Jaguar NA.

I would disagree with going through the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to lodge a complaint. The BBB is a pay to play service.

texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a CPO 2010 XKR Convertible from a Houston dealer in September. Communication was really good before I traveled 1,800 miles to buy the car (cash deal) and drive it home. On my drive home I noticed several small problems that should have been addressed during the CPO inspection. Not really warranty items but small trim pieces that were either missing or broken.

When I brought these items to their attention and requested they provide the missing/broken items (less than $100 retail) I got absolutely no assistance at all.

Anyway, it left me with a sort of slimy feeling and I will not be interested at all in purchasing my next car from them.

I wonder if it's the same dealer???

texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I am not in favor of being confrontational. At least not until you tried to work with them. I suspect that the dealer did put the car into service for his advantage but, for all other practical purposes the car was not used by anyone and was, in fact, new.

You did not mention the delivery mileage the car was sold with. If it is not more than a few miles that would be normal for any car that customers may have taken for test drives, I would consider it new. Then, the only thing to settle on is the service/warranty dates. I really do not see a serious problem that would necessitate the return of the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by axr6:
Executive (11-02-2014), texasxkr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 PM

Thanks for all the imput, we are going to meet with the New car Sales Manager tomorrow and see what can be worked out. When we had them take the car off the showroom floor for us to test drive it showed 12 miles. My wife rode with the salesman on a test ride, when they got back I drove the car on a rather long test drive, to test ride on rough streets and test the performance on a nice road that is not used a lot and finely on I-10. I was sold. When we got back to dealership I ask my wife if she would move in order to put the car back on showroom floor and her reply was "I want to drive it", knew right then we were going to buy the car. When we signed the paperwork the car had 73 miles on it and the 61 miles were what we had put on the car with the 3 test drives.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

With only 60 to 70 miles on the XKR, it can be considered NEW. From your own words when you first took the car out for the test drive it had 12 miles on it.

I am not sure that you have any complaints. Last year when I purchased my NEW 2014 Porsche Cayman it was delivered with 126 miles on it.

Certainly the Cayman was test driven by potential buyers, and I had no problem with that as the Cayman left the dealership for the test drives and returned to the dealer. I accepted the car with the 126 miles on it.

I just test drove a 2015 Corvette C7 which 6 miles on the clock delivered from GM. I put an additonal 16 miles on the car. I am sure that if someone else is interested in the Corvette even more test miles will be put in it.

I would think your only complaint is the date of service and being only 19 days probably will never interfere with the OEM Jaguar warranty. Even a 2 month difference is not a major deal from March 31st to May 12th.

Also the Jaguar Driving Academy appears to be an issue with you. Perhaps the dealership can make arrangements for you to attend.

Otherwise considering you drove the car with just 12 miles, then put some more on during your test drive, I just can't see how you consider the car as used.

I wouldn't waste to much time, effort, or mental distress on these issues. I would sit back and enjoy the new XKR.

Many of us that own these Jaguars are in an older age group like yourself. Wisdom comes with age. We grow wiser as we grow older from life experiences.

My main concern would be that you enjoy the car, and it has no issues. Never-the-less the car is under warranty and any Jaguar dealership has to service the car under warranty. Between the Houston area and Dallas area there are many Jaguar dealers to work with for warranty service.

Be sure to buy a CTEK battery maintainer or other brand. These cars are well known for battery related issues and having the car connected to a battery maintainer, you will eliminate many potential problems.

Be sure to research these forums as there is a "wealth" of information on just about any topic or problem that may arise during your Jaguar ownership. The members here are the best of any auto forum I have seen and are here to help with specific related problems and lend you our opinions. The majority of members here are highly dedicated owners of a premium brand automobile, which so many other car enthusiasts would like to own.

My only other thought is...Are you sufferring "buyers remorse".

Last edited by richzak; 10-30-2014 at 10:10 PM.
DGL (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I think you're making too much out of nothing. If your new car were first put into service a month or more before you purchased it and it had several hundred miles on it then you would have something to complaint about. What your talking about is nothing. Give the dealership some slack, it is not a major problem--life is too short. Hell you purchased a great a car and from the time you first stepped into it you knew you wanted it--enjoy it and let it roar. Is there something you don't like about the car or the deal you decided on? Buying and selling such a magnificent car can be very stressful. We all demand we get good value. I can ensure you the Jaguar XK model is good value for your money.

Why did you have the dealership sign on a separate piece of paper to state the car was new? You must of had some doubt about the in service date which should have lead you to ask for copy of the cars history report. Why you asked the salesperson to sign a piece of paper I don't know. You're denying yourself full enjoyment of your new car over a few days and a couple of miles. To me you bought a new car. I hope you get over this and it doesn't take away from you enjoying what is rightfully yours to enjoy because of a difference of opinion.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:04 AM

Jaguar USA are the ones that stated that the car was used and would not qualify for the Driving Academy. I am not concerned with the miles on the car as we put most of them on it. The reason we had the dealership sign a paper stating that the car was in fact a new car was because we were surprised to find a 2013 XKR coupe that was new and had not been sold by May of 2014. My issue is that the dealership told us this was a new car and then we find out 5 months later from Jaguar USA that they considered the car used because it was put in service by the dealership on March 31, 2014. Someone at the dealership that they put the car in service 42 days before we bought the car and was told it was a new car, in my book that is just not honest. I guess we will see what they are willing to do to make it right.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by texasxkr
On May 12, 2014 my wife and I purchased

He ran the Vin number of my car and told me it was a XK and Not a XKR,

A friend that sells cars for Chevrolet told me to call the service manager at another dealership and give him my Vin number and ask when Jaguar records show that the car was placed in service, the answer was it was placed in service March 31, 2014 and we bought this NEW car on March 12, 2014.
There is no mileage discrepency, and 42 days difference according to an earleir
post. 42 days is nothing on a 4 year warranty.

Where it gets interesting is that the reported dates of purchase differ in the
month and not the day of the month. Both are the 12th.

March and May are sometimes coded as "MA". Which one can sometimes be confusing.

AND, the information is coming from Jaguar Driving Academy. If they couldn't
get the model right, perhaps they couldn't get the dates right either. Jaguar Driving Academy
is not the final word, but rather Jaguar North America.

The proper question to ask is what constitutes "used" and "date in service" in the
eyes of Jaguar North America. And view the documentation that triggered those
states.

I am sure the DMV considers this a new car. It is only the Jaguar viewpoint that is
different or more likely, confused.

To find out if you indeed have a XKR, lift the hood and put your hand on the
supercharger. No supercharger? Not a XKR.

Now, that would be a problem. Not 42 days of warranty.

++

Last edited by plums; 10-31-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

42 days is nothing, until you have a problem that's just became apparent 6 weeks after your warranty expired...

texasxkr (11-01-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

If it is in fact an XKR, under these facts, I really only see one real problem--the Driving Academy. And, if it were I in this position, that would be a big problem. It was part of the sales schtick, an incentive to buy the car. I would be unhappy, and would want the dealership, or Jag, to make it right, just like the OP does.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce M.:
sharx8 (11-03-2014), texasxkr (11-01-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
42 days is nothing, until you have a problem that's just became apparent 6 weeks after your warranty expired...
+1. 42 days could mean thousands down the road. I'd fight for it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Muddydog:
Ceckman (12-11-2014), texasxkr (11-01-2014)

Quick Reply: Thought we bought a NEW 2013 XKR coupe but ?