XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR Convertible - Manual Top Re-set

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah, sorry about that, didn't realize that...

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

All of this is making me panic about the prospect of having to replace my XKR's battery!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EMERGENCY '07 XK Base Convertible Tonneau Cover Stuck

I followed all the procedures listed here to release hydraulics with allen key in trunk, used same key to release the latches, followed the steps to fold the top, but I can't open the tonneau cover door. I have a helper, it shouldn't be this hard. Is there some kind of lever, release or such that I need to pull?

HELP!!!!
2007 base convertible XK

Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by BigOil
I followed all the procedures listed here to release hydraulics with allen key in trunk, used same key to release the latches, followed the steps to fold the top, but I can't open the tonneau cover door. I have a helper, it shouldn't be this hard. Is there some kind of lever, release or such that I need to pull?

HELP!!!!
2007 base convertible XK
Yes, there is a cable loop in the vicinity of the top pump, usually above and to the left. You and a couple monkeys need to pull on that, to pull the latches open so you can lift the tonneau.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by BigOil

HELP!!!!
2007 base convertible XK
There is a pull (a steel cable loop) that is located right beside the pump that will unlatch the cover it if it is not going automatically. The whole process is easier if you wait about 10-15 minutes for the pressure in the hydraulics to relax.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
There is a pull (a steel cable loop) that is located right beside the pump that will unlatch the cover it if it is not going automatically. The whole process is easier if you wait about 10-15 minutes for the pressure in the hydraulics to relax.
Thank both of you for the prompt reply

I had to look outside the area for the pump for my cable release. Found a cable leading up to the tonneau cover fixings. The ring itself was buried back tangled somewhere behind the pump. It doesn't seem will ever come out, but I was able to pull the cable nearest the attachment point just fine.

I was able to retract the top all the way back in according to the procedures. But how does the error message clear. It's not like I can remove the battery case and disconnect the lines with the top down, can I?

Old 04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

What error message do you have? Make sure the divider in the trunk is properly deployed and the trunk is shut. Also don't forget to return the pump override to its running position.

Once the top is completed stowed it is in the 'reset' position. If you run a cycle up and down now it should clear any messages. If the cycle still will not run, unplug fuse F8 for 10 seconds and then plug it back in to do an electronic reset on the control module.

If it still does not work check your pump fluid level.

If it still does not work, something may have failed.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-29-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I spent hours on this recently, so know how frustrating it is. 2 tips for you:

1) When recycling after a reset, be prepared to hold the open or close button for what appears to be an inordinate period of time. One of mine took about 2 minutes to even begin to move.

2) If that doesn't work, you might try to disconnect the battery, wait for 30 minutes, reconnect it and then go through the battery connection procedure followed by the roof cycle process. See my post below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...22/#post942708

The battery can be disconnected with the roof down but it's tricky, and the glass is right there so you need to be careful not to scratch it. Probably a last resort step which I had to do recently, but it worked.

Whole roof reset can be a little hit and miss in my experience.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
fma
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread saved me a lot of time after needing to reset the roof post battery swap Thanks!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

this was my nightmare last year. the dealership basically said I needed a pump $2500-$3400 in cost... but i took it the indy shop and they topped off the fluid and did it no issues at all. battery died and this was a giant problem for me... ugh!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:26 PM

After my roof reset recently, I noticed that the roof knocks on the left side part of the windshield frame (where the latch is) when closing. Seems like it's slightly off calibration/alignment. Anyone else had this and if so did another reset resolve it?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Del Boy
After my roof reset recently, I noticed that the roof knocks on the left side part of the windshield frame (where the latch is) when closing. Seems like it's slightly off calibration/alignment. Anyone else had this and if so did another reset resolve it?
Are you standing still or moving forward?...They do tend to do that when latching while moving forward.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Are you standing still or moving forward?...They do tend to do that when latching while moving forward.
It happens consistently in either case. I've found I can sometimes prevent it by stopping the motion right before the final phase and then restarting it, but that's hit and miss.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Default XKR 2008 - roof stuck in closed position

I would like to thank all your contributors to this problem. My scenario was that I put my Jaguar off the road for winter and re-taxed it in February. I started using the car and everything seemed fine and after a few days the sun came out and I tried to open the sun roof, nothing happened.
I did the usual checks, luggage separator, fuse etc. to no avail.
Took the car to the Jaguar main dealer who gave me an hours free investigation. They re-set the roof manually to no avail, connected it to the diagnostic computer which showed 'no faults ' and they would have to book the car in for a proper investigation. I said I had seen your suggestion to disconnect the battery which was frowned upon as it could create more problems, so I booked the car in which is in 3 day's time.
Meanwhile I remembered that whilst off the road , the battery ran low and I had to charge it up so I decided this afternoon to try your remedy and it worked.
Thanks to you all for saving me the inconvenience of returning to the Dealership and no doubt a shed full of money. I shall enjoy cancelling my Booking-in tomorrow. John.

The following users liked this post:
Bob OB (06-25-2022)
Old 04-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Removing fuse #8 between the rear seats for a couple of minutes and then reinserting it will reset the top control module also and usually accomplish the same thing....which is definitely more handy if you are stranded with a non-working top and no tools.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Bob OB (06-25-2022), The Englishman (05-08-2022)
Old 08-23-2015, 09:43 PM

Has anybody ever had one of the cylinders blow their top for the X150 XK convertible? It happened to me once and today based on the level in my hydraulic reservoir I fear it may have happened again...

Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot Lift Tonneau Cover - 2011 XKR Convertible

Hi,

Experienced a what appears to be a battery failure after 6-mos storage (with Genius 3500 conditioner connected). Jumped with 2nd vehicle, cat purred to life no problems, let idle for 30 min and went to drop roof, but had nil response from switch.

Am in process of following Skavan's steps for manual roof reset, but cannot lift tonneau cover. Have identified and pulled release lanyard in starboard access panel and backed off pump valve counterclockwise until resistance, and have released and cleared forward edge of roof from windshield. I can lift tension bow, but the tonneau cover remains flush and 'un-grabbable.'

Any solutions would be very appreciated, thanks,

RES2

Old 05-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RES2
Hi,

Experienced a what appears to be a battery failure after 6-mos storage (with Genius 3500 conditioner connected). Jumped with 2nd vehicle, cat purred to life no problems, let idle for 30 min and went to drop roof, but had nil response from switch.

Am in process of following Skavan's steps for manual roof reset, but cannot lift tonneau cover. Have identified and pulled release lanyard in starboard access panel and backed off pump valve counterclockwise until resistance, and have released and cleared forward edge of roof from windshield. I can lift tension bow, but the tonneau cover remains flush and 'un-grabbable.'

Any solutions would be very appreciated, thanks,

RES2
First wait at least a half hour for the pressure in the system to deplete. Give the release lanyard a firm pull. Then make sure you simultaneously manually raise the front and rear of the top and then the tonneau should manually release allowing you to manually stow the top.

You are also going to need to get more charge in that battery or you are going to continue to have problems. 30 minutes from a jump at idle is 20% charge at best.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-06-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First wait at least a half hour for the pressure in the system to deplete. Give the release lanyard a firm pull. Then make sure you simultaneously manually raise the front and rear of the top and then the tonneau should manually release allowing you to manually stow the top.

You are also going to need to get more charge in that battery or you are going to continue to have problems. 30 minutes from a jump at idle is 20% charge at best.
Thank you WhiteXKR for your reply,

I am beginning to more appreciate the recommendation that this be a two-man job! However, standing immediately forward of her starboard rear wheel, I was able to lift the tension bow and hold in elevated position with right hand, pull release lanyard in starboard trunk acces panel with left hand, then, again with left hand, lift tonneau cover into fully open position (almost vertical about 70 to 80 degrees) where it does in fact support itself.

I was then able to complete the rest of the manual top reset steps, but to no avail. I came to the same conclusion of your second point, that with a likely shot battery, no further resolution may be gained. I had tried charging overnight with the Noco Genius 3500 conditioner, which is by spec supposed to be capable of fully charging her battery in 12 hours; however, I suspect that the battery is toast, since I got the same dubious 75% charge indicator on the conditioner and almost the same engine start attempt (instead of absolutely nothing, about a half very slow crank turn, then nothing!).

Any thoughts on the challenges of tackling the battery replacement myself? I've got a Jaguar dealership service appointment booked for the 22nd (Montreal service centres go a little crazy with winter-to-summer tire changes right about now!) as she is due for a service. So I might simply let them resolve it.

Final points, although I can now open the top and stow it in the storage well, the tonneau cover does not appear to latch and is perhaps 1/8 inch above flush. Conversely, when closing the top, I cannot bring the top leading edge any closer to within about 5 inches of the top of the windshield, and thus cannot latch using the manual allen key control. Is this a hydraulic no pressure release problem? The rear quarter windows remain, in either case, obliviously up. It would be nice to get her top properly closed so that I can drive her to the dealership in case of inclement weather.

Thanks again for your reply. It was both sage and welcome.

RES2

Last edited by RES2; 05-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to execute the manual reset however, unable to retract the roof past the back quarter windows (pillars). The front manual release is completely open as well as the pump bypass. Has anyone else had this problem? Any recommendations?

Quick Reply: XKR Convertible - Manual Top Re-set