XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR owners, pull fuse 19!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

You see the black cup on the bottom pipe of the stock exhaust box?

That was your active exhaust control flap.

Attached Thumbnails XKR owners, pull fuse 19!-blocks_image_0_1.png  
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes. But I re-installed stock exhaust Saturday! Hence the pulling of the fuse!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Well, after about six months of no fuse 19, I have decided to plug it back in. I am having a pproblem with a lazy downshift in manual mode and I suspect that the Fuse19 was the cause. After putting fuse 19 back in II have noticed much smoother shifting. However, the lazy downshift still comes back after a long drive with a lot of manual downshifting. I think it will just take some time because the TCM has learned the shifting without the active exhaust.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Good luck starting your car! Fuse 19 in the engine compartment fuse box is NOT for the Active Exhaust; it is for the starter motor!

Fuse 19 for the Active Exhaust is located in the fuse box behind the rear seat center section. Removing it is very easy.

To remove the rear seat center section, grasp the sides near the top and pull it sharply towards you to pop out the upper retaining pegs. The center section should then swing down to expose the fuse box. When refitting that center section be sure to align the upper retaining pegs with their respective holes before pushing the center section back in place.

Fuse 19 is on the right side, immediately below fuse 20 (which may be a vacant slot). Fuse 19 is red and is 10 Amps. You can remove it with the fuse puller tool in the upper right corner.

See the manual: TOPIx - TOPIx Scroll down the left side and click on Fuses to take you to that section for fuse box locations, contents, diagrams, etc.

I removed fuse 19 over 2 years ago and like the sound better that way.

Stuart
p

You will have a noticeable decrease in power during full power high rpm
Because your butterflies are closed and savaging is reduced to two pipes opposed to four pipes..... Try re installing fuse 19 and see the difference

Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
p

You will have a noticeable decrease in power during full power high rpm
Because your butterflies are closed and savaging is reduced to two pipes opposed to four pipes..... Try re installing fuse 19 and see the difference
That doesn't make sense. With fuse 19 removed the car will use all 4 tail pipes all the time. Even with fuse 19 in, the exhaust valve opens above 3750 rpm at full throttle so whether the fuse is in or out the valve should still be open with all four tail pipes in use.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ironically, although the exhaust sounds louder under 3750 rpm without the fuse 19, I think it actually sounds worse. The car's exhaust note seems to have been carefully tuned, and around town it sounds much more musical with the fuse 19 installed. Also, it's probably just psychological but it also seems slightly more torquey at lower RPMs with the fuse installed.

And as I said, manual (and automatic) shifts seem much much smoother with the fuse 19 in place.

The following 2 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
Jffcurt (07-15-2013), mickyboy (07-15-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Well, it turns out it was completely psychological. My shifting woes were actually caused by a bad axle, which has since been replaced. I unplugged Fuse 19 again, and I do think it actually sounds better. At little bit more warbly at low RPMs like a V8 should sound, and there is no range where the exhaust suddenly comes alive--it is a much more gradual increase in volume.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

An interesting tidbit from the service manual:

Active Exhaust System (Supercharger Vehicles Only)

The position of the exhaust valves set by the ECM depends on engine speed, throttle angle and operating mode of the transmission. At startup the exhaust valves are always open, to enhance the exhaust sound.

When the transmission is in the manual (sequential shift) mode, the exhaust valves are permanently open. When the transmission is in the normal or sport mode, the position of the exhaust valves depends on engine speed and load, as detailed in the following table:
The red highlight is mine. The table basically shows that in auto-shift mode (either D or S), the valves stay open up to 1100 RPM, then stay closed until 4000 RPM - unless the throttle is more than 80% open, in which case they reopen at 3750. But as soon as you play with the paddles, they stay open.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting... what year is that manual?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Interesting... what year is that manual?
11-May-2011 - so it covers up to MY11. Sorry, should have specified that, because they may have changed it later.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
there is no range where the exhaust suddenly comes alive--it is a much more gradual increase in volume.

That's exactly why I prefer it pulled. (Plus its still quiet while cruising, which for my taste makes it perfect.)

Glad you got to the bottom of your axle problem, must be a great relief.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 PM
rhj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just pulled #19 from 2014 xkr with performance active exhaust - 2 comments - 1) owners manual says fuse is driver side footwell and this is wrong, it is rear center seat compartment (as many of you have correctly indicated) and 2) the lower rev sound becomes a deeper rumble as opposed to an angry crackle (maybe due to reduction of back pressure) - drove the car for a bit then replaced the fuse because decided i missed the crackle/snap/pop - clearly a matter of preference, but i can confirm the sound does NOT become noticeably louder

Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

We have discussed in the past that there are 2 different XKR exhaust systems. Both of which have the butterflies on the rear muffler. As we know the difference is the performance exhaust has the X pipe and the standard XKR active exhaust has a small center silencer. So as we talk about sound I suspect the 2 systems may sound a little different. Maybe we should split this threat into the 2 systems and then compare the sound. I have the performance active (X) system and I can hear the sound change when I first start the car which I attribute to the valve closing. When I get into the go peddle with the top down the system RAPS around 4000 rpm. Now if I hit the DSC(checkered flag button) I hear the system open up and the RAP is all the way up the rpm range. With the button on I also get the crackling and popping on deceleration which I like. It is also more of a drone at low speeds which I don't mind. The good part is that with the system closed and my bride in the car cruising at 50-70 mph it is very quiet in the cabin even with the top down. The best of 2 worlds for me.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
rhj

agree two systems likely sound different - i am always in "s" gear with "dsc" on - for me this provides most aggressive exhaust notes (also on deceleration as you noted) - removing fuse 19 actually made the sound more tame/hollow, at least to my ears - i was hoping to get a more active sound at lower revs, much like the maserati has - it seems to accomplish this, i may need to change out the exhaust, which i am not willing to do for warranty reasons - thanks for the information

Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

You can change out the exhaust system with out worrying about the warranty. I put in the Mina system about 9 months ago and have had the ETG tune. My dealer is aware of both changes and has not ever made any comments about the changes.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
rhj

thanks - might consider changes to exhaust if i ever add that engine chip which apparently boosts the hp to 550

Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SPiDi
I wired a switch into fuse 19. this allows me to open and close it on command.

I almost never close it. =)
I have done the same on my 08 XKR and have never turned it off since installation.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sherbercars
I have done the same on my 08 XKR and have never turned it off since installation.
Why would you need a switch to do this since according to the manual excerpts above "When the transmission is in the manual (sequential shift) mode, the exhaust valves are permanently open.". Couldn't you just stay in manual mode full time? I have not picked up my 08 Portfolio yet so maybe I am missing something.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

You can, but if you are in drive it goes back to full auto by itself if you haven't changed gears for a while. And if you want to drive in sport, it is a bit heavier on the juice and the changes are a bit lumpier (I think) unless you are giving it the hammer.

personally I don't know that pulling fuse 19 made that much difference, I notice it much more when I do the chequered flag thing, but then the ride gets firmer.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by swezey
...maybe I am missing something.
The quote is also from the 5.0L workshop manual. The 4.2L workshop manual doesn't mention it, it just says the valves are opened in response to engine speed and throttle angle (they also open when the car is first started).

I took the fuse out on my '07 XKR soon after I got the car so can't confirm either way.

Quick Reply: XKR owners, pull fuse 19!