XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by msfrazer
Hi Everyone...new to the forum..Just wanted to say that the easiest fix is just to replace the power antenna with one from a Mazda Miata...It is 18 inches tall when extended and there is no whistling noise. It looks stock when down and since the body of the unit is small, it fits where the old power antenna did with no problems...Only takes an hour or so to install...
Welcome, msfrazer.

Please elaborate on this. Is it a straight swap, does the body bolt on exactly, or do you need to modify anything? Does everything wire in as is? Any special instructions? Also, did you put it in a coupe or convertible?

This is a very intriguing idea, thanks!

Christian

The following users liked this post:
Jonnyy (11-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi There - Can you confirm the removal process for the OEM aerial please? Struggling to find it anywhere!
Also Does anyone know how to remove a broken aerial whip leaving the motor unit in place?
Thanks,
Alan

Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default jaguar antenna replacement

Hi all.. I had a custom shop install the Miata antenna to my 2007 Jaguar but it was fairly straightforward. They did have to unbolt the convertible top motor that is in front of the antenna and then remove the factory antenna and replace it with the Miata antenna. The Miata antenna has a smaller body and so it fits with no modifications. They used a small bracket to bolt it to the body. The wiring was fairly straightforward also as it is just 3 wires I believe..They charged me for 1 hour labor. The antenna can be purchased on ebay..Here is a link: New Mazda Miata Fully Automatic Mini Am FM Power Electric Car Radio Antenna | eBay

Make sure it is called a Mini power antenna..the mast is 18" tall. There are other Miata masts that are taller and might create wind noise.

dirtyodwyer (08-31-2019)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Alonco:

You might want to just leave the antenna in place, but unpowered.

I recently installed the marine antenna described by rscultho in my 07 XK convertible. As mentioned, this is somewhat easier than installation in a coupe, other than moving the convertible-top pump motor to gain access to the antenna connections, and there is no outward evidence of the change, other than the antenna doesn't go up. However, I took a slightly different approach than rscultho.

By way of background, I had previously pulled the antenna fuse and found that FM reception remained acceptable for most local (San Diego) stations, but faint to non-existent for distance stations that I could pick up with the wand antenna. There was no AM reception without the wand being up, but I never listen to AM anyway, so this was not an issue for me. But I did want the full FM reception I had with the wand extended.

I purchased the marine antenna, Metra coupling, and extension cable listed by rscultho in one of his posts on 4/23/11. With a convertible, get the shortest extension cable available (3 ft), as only about 18 in. is required. After removing the trunk liners, etc., in accord with the XK Workshop Manual (take lots of photos of the steps), I removed the convertible-top pump motor. The pump is surrounded by a two-piece, rubber clamshell that is retained over the pump by three VERY sticky Velcro straps. Once the straps were released, the inboard half of the clamshell came free, allowing easy access to the three pump retaining bolts. I set the pump aside, which allowed easy access to the antenna cable connection. When reinstalling the Velcro straps, be sure the attachment points are on the in-board (visble) side of the pump/clamshall to make installation easier.

After installing the Metra connector, I ran the extension cable through the rubber accordion conduit that is attached to the right trunk-lid hinge. This took some pushing and pulling, and was greatly aided by spraying the cable with WD-40.

Having looked at the spoiler, I had no desire to either change it to an R spoiler or drill a hole through the trunk lid. Instead, I taped the marine antenna onto the underside of the trunk lid using fiberglass-reinforced packing tape. I then drove on my normal routes, which include roads over hilly, signal-blocking terrain. FM reception was every bit as good as with the wand antenna and I was able to receive signals from stations in Tijuana and Los Angeles that I listen to, as well as all local stations. However, there was no AM reception. But again, for me, this doesn’t matter. I did not use a signal amplifier since I had no need.

I declared victory, put things back together, and have had no issues since. If you choose to install a marine antenna, either within the spoiler or not, anticipate that one or more of the trunk-liner clips will break (~$1.50 each) when you remove the liner. I also broke the tangs on the grab handle and had to replace it as well ($8).

As others have suggested, one could put a Y connector at the antenna lead and have both antennas feeding the radio (I assume the two wouldn’t cause interference but I have no expertise in this arena). In this way, the wand antenna could be used when in more remote locations by reinstalling the fuse. In my case, with six MP3 CDs available, I saw no need for this.

I will add photos in a separate post.

Dan

'01 X8 Convertible
'04 XJR
'07 XK Convertible

Last edited by DanJensen; 03-01-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Clarify/add details
The following 2 users liked this post by DanJensen:
amcdonal86 (02-26-2014), ct6978 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Dan, that is very helpful. I had imagined something along the same lines as I did not want to modify the spoiler.

I did not realize that accessing the antenna connection required removing the convertible top pump! I take it installing an amplifier would give you AM reception?

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-26-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Rather than buying at random, can anyone recommend an amplifier to buy if I decide to go for a marine antenna?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 PM

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of what type of amplifier to purchase or if having the antenna in this configuration/location will provide AM even with an amplifier. rscultho mentions that he was going to install one, so perhaps he has an answer. If not, I would try Frye's or another electronics supply company.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 AM

Dan,

Thanks for the info, I've been following these threads for a few years without taking the plunge myself....having a convertible, I wasn't quite sure what would be different as most had discussed doing it on the coupe.

If you don't mind, could you post the pictures, and perhaps links to the parts you ordered? Want to make sure I'm matching your approach as exactly as possible if I go for it.

I've been driving around with XM and the CDs only, fused pulled...the FM stations don't really come in too well around Los Angeles for me.

Thanks again.

CT

Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM

The following are photos and suggestions regarding installation of the hidden marine antenna. I purchased the items listed by rscultho from Amazon: (1) marine antenna ("Dual Electronics MAW40 Car/Marine Wire Antenna", $7); (2) antenna coupling ("Metra 40EU30 2002-Up VW/BMW/European Vehicle Antenna Adapter Cable Kit-Add CD with FM Modulator, $24); and (3) extension cable ("Metra 44-EC144 144-Inch Antenna Extension Cable", $7). However, I suggest that the 36-in extension be purchased for a convertible ("Metra 44-EC36 36-Inch Antenna Extension Cable", $3) as only about 18 in. of added length is required.

I also suggest using the XK 2007-2009 Workshop Manual from ALLDATA, JagDocs, TOPIx, etc., for guidance in removing/installing the various trunk cover panels, connectors, etc.

The following photo/notess indicate some of the steps:

1. The right-side luggage-compartment-separator track needs to be removed to remove the rear quarter trim panel.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-1-right-side-luggage-separator-track.jpg

2.Once removed, reposition the track out of the way. Don't twist it 360 degrees during reinstallation (ask me how I know).

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-2-luggage-separator-track-positioned-out-way.jpg

3. With the rear quarter panel removed, the convertilble-top pump is accessible.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-3-convertible-top-pump-motor.jpg

4. After loosening the Velcro straps, the in-board side of the rubber clamshell can be removed. This provides access to the three pump mounting bolts.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-4-pump-motor-velcro-straps-tonneau-release-cable.jpg

5. With the pump motor moved out of the way, the antenna cable connector can be accessed to install the Metra adapter cable.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-5-antenna-motor-antenna-cable-connector-power-connection.jpg

6. The Metra connector is positioned atop the pump motor so the 3-ft cable extension can be attached.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-6-new-antenna-connector-extending-antenna-motor.jpg

7. The trunk emergency-release handle needs to be removed to remove the trunk liner. The handle is held in place by small pin that can be pushed to the side to release the cable.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-7-trunk-emergency-release-handle.jpg

8. When removng the trunk liner, be careful about just pulling hard on the handle. It is easy to break the retaining tabs. With a bit of manipulation, the tabs can slide through slots in the trunk lid (visible in the second photo in step 9) and be removed.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-8-trunk-lid-handle-broken-retaining-tabs.jpg

9. Attach the marine antenna to the underside of the trunk lid. I placed it as close to the spoiler as I could, although I am not certain this is critical.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-9-antenna-lead-taped-trunk-lid-view-1.jpg
 2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-10-tip-antenna-taped-trunk-lid.jpg

10. Remove the rubber conduit ends from the trunk lid and body openings. Route the connector-end of the marine antenna through the trunk-lid opening. Spray a bit of WD-40 into the rubber conduit and onto the 3-ft extension cable. Insert the male end into the conduit, push it through (this takes a bit of patience), route it through the opening in the body over to the Metra connector, and attach.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-11-insertion-cable-extension-into-rubber-conduit-used-wd-40.jpg

11. Secure the antenna connector to the existing cable bundle with a zip tie to keep the connector from bouncing around.

2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-12-cables-zip-tied-together.jpg

12. Test drive the car and verify reception. If satisfied, put everything back together. This is where all those photos you took will come in handy.

Dan

'01 XK8 Convertible
'04 XJR
'07 XK Convertible

The following 9 users liked this post by DanJensen:
amcdonal86 (03-02-2014), ct6978 (03-02-2014), guy (03-03-2014), Jonnyy (11-25-2014), mickyboy (03-02-2014), mij86 (06-02-2017), myexcursion (05-25-2017), u102768 (03-01-2014), WhiteXKR (03-03-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DanJensen
The following are photos and suggestions regarding installation of the hidden marine antenna. I purchased the items listed by rscultho from Amazon: (1) marine antenna ("Dual Electronics MAW40 Car/Marine Wire Antenna", $7); (2) antenna coupling ("Metra 40EU30 2002-Up VW/BMW/European Vehicle Antenna Adapter Cable Kit-Add CD with FM Modulator, $24); and (3) extension cable ("Metra 44-EC144 144-Inch Antenna Extension Cable", $7). However, I suggest that the 36-in extension be purchased for a convertible ("Metra 44-EC36 36-Inch Antenna Extension Cable", $3) as only about 18 in. of added length is required.
Thanks, Dan, very detailed, great info. Going on Amazon now.

CT

Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

Great write up, thanks. How would you rate the FM reception compared to the standard aerial. I bought a hidden T shaped aerial and stuck it to the inner rear wing. It seems fine around town but looses reception quite quickly when I start to stray. It also seems to be quite directional and worse in the rain for some reason.

I tend to just leave the window down and listen to the exhaust noise but as Winter is just around the corner here I will have to put the window up soon.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 PM

I can discern no difference when driving locally, which has lots of hills and low areas. The reception is also the same as that in my XJR on the same route to work, i.e., where the signal becomes weak in the XK is precisely the same location that it does so in the R.

The local Jaguar club has a drive into the San Diego backcountry in a couple of weeks and we will be driving the XK. I'll post my experience.

Dan

u102768 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 07:22 PM

To follow up on my earlier post re reception, we drove the car through the mountains east of San Diego on a club drive. The FM reception was equivalent to that in my other Jags and with the wand antenna in the XK. As such, if you don't care about AM, I can recommend this "upgrade" without reservation.

Dan

u102768 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update. I have a couple winging their way to me along with an extension chord. I don't know if two will make a difference either way but I may try one in each rear wing.

If the metal bodywork affects reception I may then try fixing it/them to the back of the rear bumper.