XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 Jaguar XK Convertible - dash lights

Old 03-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Jaguar XK Convertible - dash lights

Hi, I have just bought a 2007 Jaguar XK and got a list from the dealer saying that the dashboard lighting is dim and they cant adjust and want to change the instrument cluster!....you can imagine the price!!...... is this a common problem? I've seen bulbs advertised on e-bay so could it be bulbs? and if so are they easy to change?
The dealer says they also cant adjust the right front headlight which they say points down and want to replace the headlight!...yep at another hefty price! Any ideas anyone?
Also what else must I watch out for or keep an eye on with this model?
Thanks all.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Did you buy this car from the dealer that is telling you that these items need to be fixed? If so why wouldn't they fix them before you take the car. If a private deal then you may have to pay the dealer costs. I would first look at the lighting rheostat which controls the brightness of the instrument lights. If all lights are dim then this may be the issue. Better to check this before pulling the dash. As for the headlight it may be a bad ground or a bad motor. Consider looking for a used unit if it needs to be replaced. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 03-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Sounds like the sharks have migrated inland. I'd keep an eye on the dealer.

Welcome to the Forum. You might want to check the geographical section for South Africa and see if there are any local independent Jaguar techs near you and get a second opinion. I've had no issues with the dashboard lights or adaptive headlights in my 2009.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I had no lights on my steering wheel or center console (Dash was fine, including side switches). Turns out it was the CJB that was the culprit. See if your side switched dim (or dont) as well.... If they have the same issue then the cluster is probably not the problem.

BOL
Vince

Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Possible help for your headlight problem

When I bought my XKR, it was several days before I drove it at night. That is when I discovered that the left light was working fine but the right one was pointed down and to the right. There were no warning lights on or codes set. I removed the right headlight assembly. (3 bolts, wiring harness and headlight washer hose) The AFS carrier is mounted to a ball on the vertical and horizontal actuators. In my case, the carrier had come off the ball on the vertical actuator. I snapped the carrier back on to the ball mount and buttoned it all back up. As much pressure as it took to snap the carrier back onto the ball, I can't imagine how it got off to begin with but I've never had a single problem from it since the fix. Covers #7 and #11 in the attached picture twist off counter clockwise. Once removed, you can look around inside and see the carrier and actuator mounting points. Be sure to put the covers back on tight to prevent entry of dust and water.

Attached Files