XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XK Coupe OBD2 Port location

Old 09-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 XK Coupe OBD2 Port location

I've searched the forum and can find no definitive answer for my model year.

Can anybody help?

Check engine light went on this morning on my 2007 XK 4.2 Coupe (71k miles). I have a scanner, but can't find the port.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

The OBD port is just below the fascia to the left of the steering wheel.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
The OBD port is just below the fascia to the left of the steering wheel.

Thank you!

Old 09-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Post the DTCs stored in the system here if you need help with diagnosis.

Also, what is the age and condition of the battery? A failing or weak battery can cause random DTCs to be set.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Post the DTCs stored in the system here if you need help with diagnosis.

Also, what is the age and condition of the battery? A failing or weak battery can cause random DTCs to be set.

I've owned the car two weeks. Bought a warranty. The battery (Interstate) *looks* new, but could have been prettied up by the dealer. I'll put a meter to it and will post the code results once scanned.

Thank you.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,129 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Ah...you have just bought this beauty. So you need to know this: the vast majority of "faults" on the XK are not really faults at all - they are caused by one simple thing: low battery voltage. These symptoms can range from various warning lights to window, seat and roof issues, touch screen problems....the list is long and random and in virtually every case the battery is the problem, and nothing but the battery. So, the best procedure is to start with a new battery and to fit a battery maintainer (CTEK) being the preferred brand, and to plug this unit in whenever the XK is not in use. This will eliminate virtually every battery-related "problem"

Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Ah...you have just bought this beauty. So you need to know this: the vast majority of "faults" on the XK are not really faults at all - they are caused by one simple thing: low battery voltage. These symptoms can range from various warning lights to window, seat and roof issues, touch screen problems....the list is long and random and in virtually every case the battery is the problem, and nothing but the battery. So, the best procedure is to start with a new battery and to fit a battery maintainer (CTEK) being the preferred brand, and to plug this unit in whenever the XK is not in use. This will eliminate virtually every battery-related "problem"
Thank you very much for this reply. I am going to pick up a new battery tomorrow.

Read the codes today: P0116

"Engine coolant temperature sensor 1"

Oddly, when I cleared the code, IMMEDIATELY the dash lighted up with a message that read ENGINE TEMPERATURE INDICATION FAULT.

I noticed the coolant was a touch low and added a bit of Zerex G05 (50/50 mixture with distilled water). Maybe half a cup total. Fired it back up and the dash is still lighted up with the same message.

Safe to assume this is ok to drive for a day or two until I get it repaired? The top radiator hose feels appropriately hot (I've touched my share and it feels a good 88c or so ... unfortunately, I cannot find my IR thermometer or the probe to my thermocouple ... but it feels right.)

Last edited by Celestin; 09-25-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Celestin
Thank you very much for this reply. I am going to pick up a new battery tomorrow.

Read the codes today: P0116

"Engine coolant temperature sensor 1"

Oddly, when I cleared the code, IMMEDIATELY the dash lighted up with a message that read ENGINE TEMPERATURE INDICATION FAULT.

I noticed the coolant was a touch low and added a bit of Zerex G05 (50/50 mixture with distilled water). Maybe half a cup total. Fired it back up and the dash is still lighted up with the same message.

Safe to assume this is ok to drive for a day or two until I get it repaired? The top radiator hose feels appropriately hot (I've touched my share and it feels a good 88c or so ... unfortunately, I cannot find my IR thermometer or the probe to my thermocouple ... but it feels right.)
Had a P0116 once, search the forum for P0116, and you'll see I resolved mine by disconnecting the battery, touching the leads together, and then reconnecting. It has not recurred.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Had a P0116 once, search the forum for P0116, and you'll see I resolved mine by disconnecting the battery, touching the leads together, and then reconnecting. It has not recurred.
Interesting.

The battery will be disconnected for a few minutes during swap out tomorrow. Should accomplish the same "hard reset" (which is what I assume you achieved touching the terminals together).

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Celestin
Interesting.

The battery will be disconnected for a few minutes during swap out tomorrow. Should accomplish the same "hard reset" (which is what I assume you achieved touching the terminals together).

Thanks.
While the battery is disconnected, touch the leads together to drain the residual charge in the system. That does the reset. If you don't touch the leads together and just replace the battery, you may not get the system reset.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:46 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

My 2¢

Just a point of reference for you. My car sat for one month and started right up with no drop in voltage and I do not use a battery maintainer. Yours should be able to do the same since we have the same car. So whether you want to get a maintainer should be determined by how long you plan on leaving your car parked without turning it on. If you drive at least once a week then I do not see a need for a battery maintainer. But that is just my observation.

With that said, the code that you have might be a genuine issue that needs to be repaired and no amount of 'clearing the codes' or 'touching the leads' or 'battery maintenance' will fix it.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
My 2¢

Just a point of reference for you. My car sat for one month and started right up with no drop in voltage and I do not use a battery maintainer. Yours should be able to do the same since we have the same car. So whether you want to get a maintainer should be determined by how long you plan on leaving your car parked without turning it on. If you drive at least once a week then I do not see a need for a battery maintainer. But that is just my observation.

With that said, the code that you have might be a genuine issue that needs to be repaired and no amount of 'clearing the codes' or 'touching the leads' or 'battery maintenance' will fix it.

Agreed with regards to the code. I cleared it only to see if it would come back on, not to forget about it.

Had a new battery installed today, replacing the six year old unit that came with the car. Code has not come back. As it was throwing a code related to ECT and coolant temperature, I've been monitoring via a OBD2 bluetooth module sending data to Torque on my phone. Engine temp is reporting a steady 88c.

All that said, as you rightly point out, if the code returns or other symptoms arise, it will be looked at.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

And as you have the same car ... isn't it great looking? I never tire of looking at it.

Last edited by Celestin; 09-27-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just back to OP - the Interstate battery is recognized as one of the best for the XK

Old 09-30-2016, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cough
Just back to OP - the Interstate battery is recognized as one of the best for the XK

Installed a Group 49 Interstate a few days ago (properly vented). The CEL light has not re-illuminated. Been running Torque Pro on my phone being fed live data from an OBD2 bluetooth transmitter. Ambient temps have been in the mid-90s. In stop-and-go Bay Area commute traffic, the car never gets above 95c and drops back down to 90c as soon as it starts moving. To my thinking, that's a functioning coolant system.

Threw a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on today. This car replaced a hilariously quick and much beloved SLK AMG Mercedes that died tragically after being rear-ended by an inexperienced driver. Didn't think I'd get over it so quickly, but every day in the Jag I find myself happy to be there and not missing the old rocket at all.

Thanks to all for your considerate responses.