XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 XK Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by sandysjag
Hello fellow Jag enthusiasts! First post here, so be easy with the critisism please
I've searched the forums for a specific answer for this particular year/key programming concerns.
I have a 2007 Jag XK Convertible that I have one key fob (with blade) that came with the car when I bought it.
I'm looking to get another key for it, and called Jag in Sacramento, CA where they told me it would be $400 plus $150 to program the key. Holy schmolly!!
So,after research, I found a couple of keys online (ebay) that I'm purchasing. Actually, I found a New fob without the blade(don't feel the need to have the blade), and need to program this new Fob.
Does anyone have specific instructions on this year/model?
Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can give.
STOP! Take a breath, you are treading where someone without experience should not go. Many things are in play here. One, there is a single channel and a multi-channel key, which is yours? Two, do you know the source of the key? If a Smart Key is not new or PROPERLY ERASED from an existing instrument cluster, it is orphaned and is then junk, unable to be used again. Three, the programming/de-programming/erasing of 2007-2009 XK keys is a daunting procedure. They refined it greatly by the time the XF was launched. The guiding document for programming those keys has numerous steps in 31 pages that must be followed, and recovery processes in the event something goes wrong. I know it's expensive, but you should leave that to the dealer, that way if something goes wrong, it's on them to recover.

That's just my opinion.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-19-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Sandysjag
My situation is a little different. I have a 2004 XJ8 and one of her fobs stopped working. Opening it up I find one of the function switches is broken from use. Ordered a remote portion from Ebay, about $30.00. No instructions on how to program it. Found two procedures on the internet to program the remote and you must reprogram the other working fobs, they didn't work for me.

Two alternatives:
1. only use the good remote between all drivers
2. Go to Jaguar and have the remotes reprogrammed

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Has anyone else been in this situation?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1948
Hi Sandysjag
My situation is a little different. I have a 2004 XJ8 and one of her fobs stopped working. Opening it up I find one of the function switches is broken from use. Ordered a remote portion from Ebay, about $30.00. No instructions on how to program it. Found two procedures on the internet to program the remote and you must reprogram the other working fobs, they didn't work for me.

Two alternatives:
1. only use the good remote between all drivers
2. Go to Jaguar and have the remotes reprogrammed

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Has anyone else been in this situation?
The older NON-Smart-Keys are a totally different breed than the new Smart-Keys. Jag switched some models to Smart Keys in..... 2006 I think? I don't know for sure.
On my old 2000 XK, a used FOB from eBay and a two-minute programming using I think the Turn Signal stalk????? ... and all was well.
The new Smart-Keys are very tricky, and I don't think I'd trust one from eBay, whether "New" or used. Though I'd hate to do it, I'd also recommend going to the Jag dealer and paying up to make sure everything worked as it should, with no hiccups.

The following users liked this post:
jimbo1948 (09-06-2015)