XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

5.0 XKR Ambient Air sensor (P0071)

Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Received 69 Likes on 26 Posts
Smile 5.0 XKR Ambient Air sensor (P0071)

Hi All,
I recently upgraded my 4.0 XKR to a 2010 5.0 XKR. The air temperature display has been all over the place, and the car is now throwing a P0071 EML error code which won't clear so I assume the sensor has given up. I've got one on order , but can't locate where the existing one on the car is. There's nothing where the previous related 4.2 posts seems to say it should be, e.g. centre line, lower grill, on a little clip. All I can see through the grill is a radiator and some air directing fins.

So... does anyone know where it is tucked away on the 2010 5.0 XKs?

Cheers

Old 02-05-2017, 05:11 AM

I've now found the ambient air sensor, it's in the passenger (LH) door mirror assembly.

I've taken the mirror out and removed the back cover and did note that the two wires coming into the mirror were wrapped very tightly around the other wires and were both under considerable tension before they reached the connector for the air sensor itself.

I've loosened them off and can see that the sensor is now reporting what appears to be a sensible value back to the ECU by monitoring the signal with Torque App. I can hold my finger over the sensor head, and the value in the air sensor app graph rises appropriately. (It's a chilly start to the day here ).

But I'm still not getting a sensible value on the car's screen (it's at 0 now), and the Torque App doesn't seem able to clear the P0071 code, so not sure what's going on yet. EML is still on.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 AM

Just to close this out fo anyone that finds the thread.

Basically, freeing up the wires as described above seems to have sorted it, and I managed to clear the code in the ECU after a few tries, it seemed to need the car ignition on but no engine running to clear this code.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Piersman
it seemed to need the car ignition on but no engine running to clear this code.
Yep, tricky without an ignition switch for me as a newby.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,145 Likes on 3,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Yep, tricky without an ignition switch for me as a newby.
Easy. Don't step on the brake when you push the START button.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Easy. Don't step on the brake when you push the START button.
Indeed. It was an interesting introduction to what happens with a weak battery in my case. Car had an epileptic fit that wasn't solved until the battery lead was yanked. Didn't know whether to cuss or cry at that point but the forum saved my sanity and an overnight 2 amp charge made the car happy again.