XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alloy wheel Silver Touch Up paint arrived today

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Alloy wheel Silver Touch Up paint arrived today

Just bought this from Terry's Jaguar - matches perfect on my rim. I will be doing a wash, and touch up this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Alloy wheel Silver Touch Up paint arrived today-wheel1.jpeg   Alloy wheel Silver Touch Up paint arrived today-wheel2.jpeg   Alloy wheel Silver Touch Up paint arrived today-rim.jpeg  
The following 6 users liked this post by michaelodonnell123:
Cee Jay (09-29-2016), elindo (09-30-2016), kj07xk (09-29-2016), omgimali (02-28-2017), richzak (09-29-2016), Sean W (02-24-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Jaguar produced many variations of wheels for the XK/XKR. Not all were the silver painted wheels as shown above. Some had painted spokes as seen on the 2009 Jaguar XKR's with the Selena wheels. There was a chrome piece on the wheels as well as paint that came close to matching the body color.

If any part of your jaguar wheel was painted, you would need the proper paint code other than the silver mentioned above.

Click the image to enlarge.

Attached Thumbnails Alloy wheel Silver Touch Up paint arrived today-dscn3551.jpg  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most, probably all, wheels are produced by a number of European manufacturers who use a surprisingly wide variety of colours and finishes. As a rule, they do not publish their formulae/paint codes. Wheel refurbishers and paint suppliers on the internet have some very close matches! I have received useful advice on a number of occasions from www.alloypaints.com with whom I have no association, usually through eBay's ask a question service responding to their: Alloy wheel paint aerosol pick your own colour 400 ml
listing.

I have successfully refurbished quite a number of our own Jaguar wheels and am happy to tell you what paint I used if you let me know your wheel name. I can probably identify it if you do not know and attach a picture.

Mike.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (07-06-2019)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

I'll jump in. I have both:
Carelia
Senta
wheels. Which I think are the same color, although I had the Sentas refinished a few months ago, so I can't be sure.

Last edited by kj07xk; 02-24-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:27 AM

I have had both these but not refurbed them.
Have a look at them in the sun. If there is a noticeable medium sparkle in them go for Silver Dollar from Wheel Paints. I appreciate this may be difficult in The States but you can probably get something similar. I use Simoniz wheel silver as a base for all wheels with nothing more sparkly over the top for wheels with only small flake giving a slight sparkle and that might be fine for your Carelias. I have no spray gear and get pretty good results. Most wheels only need curbing attending to filling with Holts putty, sanding and spraying the circumference having elevated a card circle, with a diameter about 2cm less than the wheel, about 5mm above the rim to allow the silver to feather in. Best to spray the lacquer on a warm day and dry in your X Type Estate in the sun! See also my post about fake wheel bolts although I believe those on the Senta screw out.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Just bought this from Terry's Jaguar - matches perfect on my rim. I will be doing a wash, and touch up this weekend.
Michael, I know this post was from last Autumn, but wondering about the results and what you were touching up.

was it curb rash or a few scratches?

Paint, like anything comes in lots so I was wondering how it matched/ blended.

Local vendor here charges $155 a wheel and they remove the tire. The car I bought came with some curb rash and I hate body work (sanding). I'd like to understand the effort you made before deciding how I move forward.

Time isn't money to me as I'm retired so I'm not including my hours as cost.

So if you don't mind, what did you repair and how'd it turn out?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

I have mine done by the dealer, so far 4 rims have had curb rash fixed and repainted. I bought an IAS wheel package that includes this service at no charge and my dealer cost is $130 (same as IAS pays, they sold me the wheel package). The vendor they use does not take off the tire.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I have polished 20" Orona wheels which suffer from road rash. does anybody have a suggestion for a cure? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I have polished 20" Orona wheels which suffer from road rash. does anybody have a suggestion for a cure? Thanks in advance.
If in the polished area, then, sand and clearcoat. (use 2k clear)
If in painted area as well, then find matching paint.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

So where might one find the paint codes for the wheels as Richard suggests. I have the Carelia's.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefarnham
Most, probably all, wheels are produced by a number of European manufacturers who use a surprisingly wide variety of colours and finishes. As a rule, they do not publish their formulae/paint codes. Wheel refurbishers and paint suppliers on the internet have some very close matches! I have received useful advice on a number of occasions from www.alloypaints.com with whom I have no association, usually through eBay's ask a question service responding to their: Alloy wheel paint aerosol pick your own colour 400 ml
listing.

I have successfully refurbished quite a number of our own Jaguar wheels and am happy to tell you what paint I used if you let me know your wheel name. I can probably identify it if you do not know and attach a picture.

Mike.
Greetings Mike,
Old post I realize, but wanted to ask suggestion for paint to refinish Jaguar polaris wheel?
19" wheel, from 2009 XJ8 L (X358).
Thank you.
-Kaboom

Old 07-07-2019, 03:41 AM

Would be really helpful if you could look at the rear and tell me the manufacturer whose name will usually be there as well as Jaguar.
A close up of the paint, in the sun, showing the size of metal flake sparkle will also assist.
Best wishes,
Mike.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloy wheel paint

Okay Mike. I will have a look at the spare in the trunk in the next week or two for information. Thanks much.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:19 AM

Yes, get back to me have copied this from above to ensure you have seen it. Have a look at them in the sun. If there is a noticeable medium sparkle in them go for Silver Dollar from Wheel Paints (on ebay)www.alloypaints.com with whom I have no association, usually through eBay's ask a question service responding to their: Alloy wheel paint aerosol pick your own colour 400 ml
listing. I appreciate this may be difficult in The States but you can probably get something similar. I use Simoniz wheel silver as a base for all wheels with nothing more sparkly over the top for wheels with only small flake giving a slight sparkle and that might be fine for yours. I have no spray gear and get pretty good results. Most wheels only need curbing attending to filling with Holts putty (fine filler self curing), sanding and spraying the circumference having elevated a card circle, with a diameter about 2cm less than the wheel, about 5mm above the rim to allow the silver to feather in. Best to spray the lacquer on a warm day and dry in your X Type Estate in the sun!

Old 07-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C2A1237

I purchased the alloy wheel silver touch-up paint pencil (5173) with the companion clear lacquer from my dealership (after they first verified the vehicle; it was the last set they had in stock); C2A1237; I just posted a thread inquiring if anyone had used the product and what was their impression with the results.

Last edited by Daneel227; 07-08-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 07-09-2019, 03:44 AM

See first post but also my comments above. Touch up pens usually leave blobs so it is better to fill and spray the affected area in my opinion. This will feather in well to the rest of the wheel if you are careful and produce good results. Good luck whichever way you choose.

Mike.

The following users liked this post:
Daneel227 (07-10-2019)