XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bluetooth streaming frustrations in a 2014 xkr

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bluetooth streaming frustrations in a 2014 xkr

Hi folks, i just bought a 14' XKR and am in love with it EXCEPT for the horrible situation with Spotify streaming from my iphone. I've searched the forums and am hoping someone can help as most of the solutions and posts are for x100 older models.

I did buy an aftermarket ipod 30pin cable to connect to the Tune2Air WMA1000 bluetooth adaptor but am not having the same experience that most folks are having. I'm plagued w/the whole 2 sec constant pausing of music that makes it impossible to listen anything for more than a second before the music pauses.

If it helps, I've noticed if i go into Folders and click all the way down to some ipod radio station and play it i can then go back to my iphone and play spotify normally. Its a hack but frankly i don't want to click the XKR screen so many times each time i get into my car to play music. Any thoughts?

I'm actually at my wits end - I've seen posts on the ACM which i'd consider as long as it will work w/a 2014 XKR? I've also seen the below modules that tap into the CD changer for aux audio but they don't seem to outright specify they support x150 models. Anyone else use these for an x150 model?

A2D-JAG Audio Streaming Adapter for 1998-06 Jaguar XJ and XK with CD Changer :: Bluetooth & Streaming Audio
AUX-JAG Auxiliary input for select Jaguar xJ & xK with CD Changer :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

Thanks in advance...if i can just get the tunes working reasonably, i'll be in heaven with this incredible car!

Old 12-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

There are a dozen threads if you search for WMA1000:

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Search Results

First, there is no ACM for the X150, you cannot add a simple headphone jack input. This is stupid, yes. Second, did you buy the Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter? It MUST be the OEM Apple adapter, if it is from Ebay or ever from an online source other than Apple there is a chance it is not genuine. I went that route and it lead me astray, I ended up buying a genuine at my local BestBuy. It cost me more but gave the me the leeway to return if it didn't end up resolving my situation.

I will give you my experience. My first 2012 XK would not work with the WMA1000 and my Wife's Iphone. With her Ipad yes and directly connected to the genuine apple adapter her phone worked. For the Iphone it would do the pause after a second and never keep an open playing connection with the WMA1000. I researched and read tons of posts in this forum (all models that had similar issues) and in the general net-o-sphere. I tried all suggestions, play this first, hook it up like this, then that, all to no avail. It would not work so I returned the WMA1000 and hooked up an RF Transmitter from my stash of old hardware, a crude and low quality solution but it worked and most of her usage is listening to audiobooks from her phone so just low fidelity voice recordings. For music she is no audiophile so it worked for that also.

The bottom line is that I wanted something that connected automatically without requiring a plug-in to a wire, opening the center console everytime to connect the phone while driving around town is stupid. I tried a lightning extension cable and it would give me an error saying it wasn't Apple genuine. So I scrapped using the Ipod interface, returned the 30 pin to lightning connector and the WMA1000. I hooked up a general bluetooth recieiver already in my stash to the RF Transmitter and voila, wireless connection good to go.

Then my Wife totaled that XK and I bought another 2012 XK. On a lark I bought the WMA1000 and Apple 30 pin/lightning adapter again. Same phone, different outcome. It worked perfect out of the box. My experience mirrors what I read on this forum, for those that the WMA1000 had the pause issue it was rarely resolved.

I don't advise using my solution, totaling your car ends up being pricey.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:36 PM

Haha! Well that's fascinating - so the second time around with replacement 12' XK, if the apple 30pin adapter and your wife's iphone were the same, i wonder if what made things work was either a different firmware on either the XK audio unit or the WMA 1000? Would be interesting to see what firmware ppl have who have the evil-pausing issue as opposed to those who don't.

In the end, if nothing ends up working, i'm wondering if i'll open up the CD changer and directly port in like this gent did. I've no idea if my changer unit is the same as his though. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/gopis-how-aux-install-alpine-premium-complete-instructions-144735/

Old 12-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know, I went as far as I cared to before running with the RF solution. I always figured it was an issue with the cars firmware. That is an interesting post, I suppose it can't hurt to try. Except hurting the changer of course.

We just got my Wife a new Iphone 7 and it also works fine with the new XK/WMA1000.

The following users liked this post:
Zooliu (12-31-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Default ((SOLVED!)) Bluetooth streaming frustrations in a 2014 xkr

I finally figured the nonstop Spotify "Pausing Bug" out!

For anyone with a Jaguar where you want to play a music streaming service (Spotify, Pandora, etc) and you connect your smartphone to the car using the ipod connector method (bluetooth, tune2air WMA1000, ipod cable, etc) AND you're plagued with non-stop pausing when trying to play anything on your phone, the wacky reason is because you do not have any iTunes songs on your phone. This is why some folks have reported some phones working or even ipads working while other phones wont.

See this link if you want to understand more about this weird issue:

https://medium.com/@bkbkbk/beethoven...882#.lh7awifhu

The great news is this can be easily fixed by just adding any song to your iphone via iTunes. If you read the above article there's a great MP3 you can add (below) that is a stellar way to get a song onto your iphone that plays without being annoying while triggering the system to recognize your phone and allow full play. Just download the MP3 and then drop it onto your phone library in iTunes and sync.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...p%2520Song.m4a

My god, i was so close to ripping the CD changer apart to figure out a way to hard-wire in an aux system.

What a nice way to start the holiday!

Best, steve

The following 2 users liked this post by Zooliu:
kj07xk (02-23-2017), XJDanny (02-04-2017)
Old 12-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have any songs in your "Music" app?
I find that after I deleted the default U2 album from there that came with the phone (because I got annoyed with the same song autostarting every time), it broke my ability to stream from other apps and would do the same pause after 2 seconds.
I added one song back and now it works as usual.
Next step is to replace that one song with a track that's just silence so I don't hear the same one every time I get in the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by MishaSD:
kj07xk (02-23-2017), Zooliu (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Thanks MishaSD, actually i figured out the cause (and posted my findings for others but because i was a goob and didnt follow new member guidelines it may be lost). Either way, you hit it on the head. The reason i was getting the constant pausing was because i didnt have any tracks in itunes. The FIX was to add a single song (there's a nice one that sounds like a windows start sound) which autoplays when you first start the car and then you're off to the races w/streaming and things working.

Here's a link to the MP4 that i'm using...its great:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...p%2520Song.m4a

Here's the article i found that that links to the MP4 that explains the weirdness:

https://medium.com/@bkbkbk/beethoven...882#.lh7awifhu

So nice to have things working!

Old 12-30-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

I wish I still had the first car to give this a try! Glad you got it straight and confirmed the MishaSD fix.

However, I do know that my Wife has a bunch of stuff in her Itunes so that couldn't have been the overall cause?

Last edited by tampamark; 12-30-2016 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zooliu (12-31-2016)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:14 AM
Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the same problem until i put a few songs in the music folder (iPhone 6S Plus), opened the music app on my phone, played the songs directly from that folder, then went to Pandora and it streamed without any problem.

This is my second XKR and I wish I knew this on the first one, ...would have saved a lot of frustration. Never did get it to work on the 2011, but the 2014 XKR-S streams music perfectly.

Although, nothing compares to the sound of the EXHAUST!

Last edited by vacolorito; 01-30-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zooliu/Steve... whatever you would like to be called, let me send a massive massive thank you your way!!! I had trolls on here years ago telling me to just get an Android and had my girl's iPhone work, the dealer's iPhone, I even went and bought a new 7 in hopes I could finally stream music... still no dice.

I exhausted my search for a double din head unit with climate control as I intended to just replace the damn thing and be done with it. I did a quick check back on the forum and saw this. I immediately downloaded the first song I saw on iTunes and ran into the garage. Worked!

$.99 fix.

You are my hero. Thanks again!!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Using WMA1000 with an Iphone SE on my car (XKRS 2013) - works just perfect - tried the WMA 3000 first - did not work

Old 02-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by vacolorito
I had the same problem until i put a few songs in the music folder (iPhone 6S Plus), opened the music app on my phone, played the songs directly from that folder, then went to Pandora and it streamed without any problem.

This is my second XKR and I wish I knew this on the first one, ...would have saved a lot of frustration. Never did get it to work on the 2011, but the 2014 XKR-S streams music perfectly.

Although, nothing compares to the sound of the EXHAUST!
Totally agree on turning down the music to listen to the real "music"! -Steve

Old 02-23-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Supreme Machine
Zooliu/Steve... whatever you would like to be called, let me send a massive massive thank you your way!!! I had trolls on here years ago telling me to just get an Android and had my girl's iPhone work, the dealer's iPhone, I even went and bought a new 7 in hopes I could finally stream music... still no dice.

I exhausted my search for a double din head unit with climate control as I intended to just replace the damn thing and be done with it. I did a quick check back on the forum and saw this. I immediately downloaded the first song I saw on iTunes and ran into the garage. Worked!

$.99 fix.

You are my hero. Thanks again!!
You're welcome! After buying the car I was so bummed that i might be faced with this hassle forever. I was so excited when i figured it out - glad to have helped -Steve

Old 02-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

What a staggering piece of arrogance on the part of Apple to include this bug. Yes, I think it's deliberate, because that's the way the corporate mind works these days.

Ever noticed how the last model of iPhone gets buggy shortly after the latest and greatest version comes out? Had it happen to multiple friends with Apple and Android stuff.

Then Bill Gates got in on the game and updated the Windows Phone software. Oops, now everybody finds out that the camera resolution cannot be changed from the native software, you have to BUY an app. So, if your camera was set in the lowest resolution when the update happened, you're stuck unless you spend money. Like I said, the arrogance of these suppliers towards their customers is beyond belief. I won't take a whizz on any of them if they run past me on fire.

Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?

Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't know if the fault lies with Apple, the car manufacturer or the maker of the WMA1000. My WMA1000 works as expected in my '07 XKR - when I turn the ignition on, the WMA syncs with my phone (iPhone 6 Plus)and starts streaming Spotify without me having to touch the phone.

If I take exactly the same phone and WMA and connect it to the Aux lead in my wifes' 09 Audi S4 I see the same issues you do i.e. I have to have a song loaded in iTunes otherwise it won't play and I also then have to switch over to Spotify rather than it playing automatically.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for this! Finally it's working! I hated the autopause

AAA - The Startup Song.m4a is attached to this reply.

Just extract the zip file.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
AAA - The Startup Song.zip (225.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-16-2017, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchscren resets with bluetooth streaming

Great I'm not alone with this issue.

Tried the tune2air bluetooth adapter on the old ipod plug under the armrest. Strangley my touchscreen started to restart non-stop. Maybe because the phone was connected via the carkit AND the bluetooth adapter.

Does anyone recognize this problem? Many thanks!

Old 06-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michaell
Great I'm not alone with this issue.

Tried the tune2air bluetooth adapter on the old ipod plug under the armrest. Strangley my touchscreen started to restart non-stop. Maybe because the phone was connected via the carkit AND the bluetooth adapter.

Does anyone recognize this problem? Many thanks!
Multiple devices connecting via Bluetooth is normal operation. You can always troubleshoot by turning off one then the other bt connection so you only have one connected at a time. Shouldn't make a difference but you never know.

In my company car I have my s7 android Bluetooth connected to car for phone, aftermarket streaming device for sound, and a third connection to my tom tom for data share. No performance issues.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went thru this with a Bovee 1000 on an XKR. IOS firmware, downloading a file on apple music did not help.
I had not paired the phone (Apple 7+) to the jags phone. once i paired it to the phone it magically started working with the bovee. do a BT connect to the jag first then to the Bovee. you can have a phone BT connection and a music connection simultaneously.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Your problem is "apple".

Quick Reply: Bluetooth streaming frustrations in a 2014 xkr