XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

As with all repair ideas on this or any forum, please research all ideas and search phrases before taking a saw, knife or drill to your Jaguar. The idea re-presented about running a by pass drain is a failed one. Both the original poster and I tried it, (probably some others), because it seemed like a logical approach. What we found was that water will always find a way around, and it did. So please don't do that approach. When you take your XK to the dealer they will likely do one of three things. 1) They may have an agile little tech who can reach in through the top to the engine and hit the duckbill with a probe or his finger as mine claimed to have done. 2) Charge over $1,000. To take out your entire dashboard and front consol to access the ac system, take that entire unit out to access that malfunctioning twenty cent part. This will guarantee future rattles when you didn't have them before. 3) Do as others who have posted they had successfully done (myself included);fashion a cutting tool & with a bore camera cut that duckbill enough or off so that condensate water easily flows through. You can find pictures of all that I have stated on this jag forum from those kind members who had gone before you and posted pictures. Good Luck.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (02-18-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had my 2007 XK start pouring water into the passenger well. I was out of the country for 6 weeks, the jag just sat there.... so I am pretty sure that is why mine is doing it. Going to try the closed vents high fan and see what happens...

Old 05-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

After only limited success with closed vents and high fan, I bit the bullet and took the car to my Jag dealer to have the duckbill replaced. $13.44 for a new drain tube and $750.00 for labor. It took them 2 days, but got to put 150 miles on a new XE loaner.
At least now my wife is willing to ride in the passenger seat.

XKR RUSTY (09-23-2019)
Old 05-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default a/c drain

Funny that the title of this thread is A/C drain. There are actually a number of issues for our cars and this has been one. However, although annoying as it might be... there is still the water pump failure that has plagued our cars from 2010 forward. I have not experienced either but I know it's coming if I own my car long enough. Im more concerned about the water pump as it can destroy the engine. No permanent fix for either one at this time. So much for Jaguar.The A/C water leak is continuing as far as I know into the passenger side.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, at least for now it looks like the fan trick cleared my leak.
I selected climate on the control panel, selected vents only, closed all 4 vents, then turned the fan on high. I suppose the theory is that the increased pressure has to go somewhere of least resistance, which would hopefully be the duckbill drain. Then is blasts out the water with the air.
Anyway, I then changed the climate settings to floor, left the fan on high and warm for awhile to dry and dry out the system.
We will see how long this lasts....

robtroxel (05-18-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After a year of trouble-free ownership. my Jag started dripping into the passenger footwell.
Printed out some of the diagrams from another post, along with the directions here for clipping off the duck bill, and took them to my local indie.
I'm happy to report problem solved, damage was only 2 hours labor, (not the 8+ originally quoted by the dealer and indie as well).
A big THANK YOU to all who pioneered this problem and came up with a reasonable solution!!
Tim

Old 05-26-2017, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt10
After a year of trouble-free ownership. my Jag started dripping into the passenger footwell.
Printed out some of the diagrams from another post, along with the directions here for clipping off the duck bill, and took them to my local indie.
I'm happy to report problem solved, damage was only 2 hours labor, (not the 8+ originally quoted by the dealer and indie as well).
A big THANK YOU to all who pioneered this problem and came up with a reasonable solution!!
Tim
Was the transmission dropped a few inches to gain access to the duck bill

Old 05-26-2017, 10:08 AM

No, you don't have to drop the transmission to access the duckbill. The technique has been well documented in previous posts.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu72
No, you don't have to drop the transmission to access the duckbill. The technique has been well documented in previous posts.
There has been numerous techniques documented from using cameras to sight the duck bill near the firewall and using a custom made cutting apparatus to removing dash to removing footwell to dropping transmission ....Take your pick !

Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Dropping the transmission a few inches is necessary with the XKR due to the supercharger and intakes blocking access to the top of the transmission by working down behind the engine.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2010 and later XKRs

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Dropping the transmission a few inches is necessary with the XKR due to the supercharger and intakes blocking access to the top of the transmission by working down behind the engine.
When I removed the plastic cover from my 2010 XKR, the air intake pipe work shown in an earlier picture in this thread was not there, so this may not be an issue on 2010 and later XKRs with the 5.0 engine. I was able to get my hand in between the transmission and the bulkhead without dismantling anything.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LosRubios
When I removed the plastic cover from my 2010 XKR, the air intake pipe work shown in an earlier picture in this thread was not there, so this may not be an issue on 2010 and later XKRs with the 5.0 engine. I was able to get my hand in between the transmission and the bulkhead without dismantling anything.
The air intake pipes on the 4.2 XKR at at the rear of the engine bay. The air intake pipes on the 5.0 XKR are at the front of the engine bay.
The NA 4.2 XK also doe not have air intake pipes to the rear of the engine bay.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you fashion a tool to cut the duckbill too?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LosRubios
Could you elaborate please?
I have a 2010 XK and cannot locate the drain tube using a camera
or my hand through the top, all I see is carpeting going down.

Did you access the drain tube from the top of the engine bay, or
did you access it from underneath the car?

thanks

Old 06-17-2017, 01:54 PM

When you removed the plastic cover off the engine, and you are able to have an unobstructed view of the transmission housing disappearing beneath the firewall/bulkhead, then you should be able to access the duckbill hole from above without dropping the tranny. (as stated above, this view is blocked by the air duct work for the supercharged models depended upon year and engine size being supercharged). Using your bore camera with mirror attached and angled upward, look for the seam on your transmission case. When standing on the passenger side of the engine compartment, slide the bore scope to the left of that seam about 4 to 6 inches back from where the fire wall begins. With the camera of the scope angled upward, you are looking for a hole in that ceiling if you will, about the size of a 50 cent coin. There is no tube, only a hole. Working the scope will allow you to see the duckbill in the hole. With patience and practice you will be able to get a sense and ability to repeatedly find this hole. Sited elsewhere on this & similar threads are technics on finding the hole with your left hand middle finger as well as using the camera & cutting tool to cut & remove (at least open) the duck bill. Good Luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu72:
robtroxel (06-17-2017), trkyam (06-20-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 04:47 PM

When you removed the plastic cover off the engine, and you are able to have an unobstructed view of the transmission housing disappearing beneath the firewall/bulkhead, then you should be able to access the duckbill hole from above without dropping the tranny. (as stated above, this view is blocked by the air duct work for the supercharged models depended upon year and engine size being supercharged). Using your bore camera with mirror attached and angled upward, look for the seam on your transmission case. When standing on the passenger side of the engine compartment, slide the bore scope to the left of that seam about 4 to 6 inches back from where the fire wall begins. With the camera of the scope angled upward, you are looking for a hole in that ceiling if you will, about the size of a 50 cent coin. There is no tube, only a hole. Working the scope will allow you to see the duckbill in the hole. With patience and practice you will be able to get a sense and ability to repeatedly find this hole. Sited elsewhere on this & similar threads are technics on finding the hole with your left hand middle finger as well as using the camera & cutting tool to cut & remove (at least open) the duck bill. Good Luck!
i think there is insulation covering the hole on 2010 and newer xk, did you hace to remove any insulation?

Old 06-27-2017, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
i think there is insulation covering the hole on 2010 and newer xk, did you hace to remove any insulation?
Nothing covering the hole on the 2007 - 2009 cars, just a bit hard to maneuver into.
Really got us stumped, as to where it's hiding on the 2010+ cars.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
Could you elaborate please?
I have a 2010 XK and cannot locate the drain tube using a camera
or my hand through the top, all I see is carpeting going down.

Did you access the drain tube from the top of the engine bay, or
did you access it from underneath the car?

thanks
Sorry, just spent the time I had available last weekend repairing the blower motor resistor module that failed when the leaking condensate water caused my blower motor to seize up. I'll try and look for the duckbill this weekend or next.

As a temporary fix, I left the felt trim panel that normally covers the blower motor off (I removed it to fix the resistor module) and also increased the in-cabin a/c temp to 76 degrees and that seems to have stemmed the flood of water temporarily.

Even though the outside temp was 104 degrees in places on my hour long drive on Sunday afternoon, there was no water in the foot well with the a/c set to 76 degrees. Not that bad as we also had the seat coolers switched on in the XKR and a lot better than the top down in 104 degrees!

trkyam (06-27-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM

There are some helpful pictures back on this thread, and on similar searches on this forum. Using the top of the transmission housing as your guide (mentioned earlier) send the probe back to the cabin about 4-6 inches from were the "felt" (fire wall bulk head) causes you to first lose sight of the bore scope camera head or your inverted hand/ middle finger if trying to find opening with finger. The duck bill hole is in the "ceiling" immediately above your hand/camera. It is a hole cut in the aluminum with no "covering" other than the primer and sound deadening coating. Please do further searches on this thread and on this forum. The pictures, techniques & advice is already printed here. Armed with that, the greatest thing you will need is Patience & Persistance. (Maybe a bandaide or two as well). SEARCH & YOU WILL FIND. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 PM

There are some helpful pictures back on this thread, and on similar searches on this forum. Using the top of the transmission housing as your guide (mentioned earlier) send the probe back to the cabin about 4-6 inches from were the "felt" (fire wall bulk head) causes you to first lose sight of the bore scope camera head or your inverted hand/ middle finger if trying to find opening with finger. The duck bill hole is in the "ceiling" immediately above your hand/camera. It is a hole cut in the aluminum with no "covering" other than the primer and sound deadening coating. Please do further searches on this thread and on this forum. The pictures, techniques & advice is already printed here. Armed with that, the greatest thing you will need is Patience & Persistance. (Maybe a bandaide or two as well). SEARCH & YOU WILL FIND. Good luck!
On my 2010, the "felt" or "covering" on the firewall, extends down the tranmission tunnel. My next step is to try to remove that and then
go in again with the camera.

Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution