XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cars and batteries, what we know and others are finding out...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts
Default Cars and batteries, what we know and others are finding out...

The latest JD Powers list came out and technology issues were at the top of the list. What also made the list is what I (and many others) experienced in my BMW and now in the Jag. Regardless Jaguar had excellent results overall.

Tech Troubles Dent Car, Truck Reliability, JD Power Study Finds | NBC New York

In addition to technology trouble, complaints about battery failures jumped by 44% compared with last year. Batteries were the most frequently replaced part not related to normal wear, the study found.

That’s because people are buying vehicles with more electric features such as power seats and high-end audio systems, plus automakers are converting mechanical devices such as power steering to electric power, said Dave Sargent, J.D. Power’s vice president for global automotive. Also, in an effort to save fuel by reducing drag on the engine, automakers aren’t fully charging batteries in some cases, Sargent said. “It seems like that maybe isn’t going as well as they would like,” he said.

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
kj07xk (02-23-2017), Sean W (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

And another factor to keep in mind when interpreting these results: when car companies introduce new models (or heavily revise existing models) their rating falls for a couple of years. Why? Because on average it takes about 2 years after model introduction before all the electronic and other bugs are worked out. The ratings do not differentiate between a very minor fault (example: a squeak in the F-Pace rear suspension caused by a bushing whose supplier was changed very close to introduction. The bushing has now been redesigned and fitted under warranty) and serious faults such as complete engine failures (does anyone remember the VW experience of some years ago? Or the nikasil cylinder coatings used by BMW, Jaguar and others?). The Jaguar placement on the list is likely largely a reflection of the introduction of new technology rather than a decrease in build quality.
Those of us who understand that the battery is the cause of almost every single electrical issue on the XK would not list the quality of the XK as anything less than excellent. Should the battery issue have been solved before introduction of the car? Ideally yes. But this same issue was experienced by every luxury manufacturer - which is why they all sell the CTEK charger under their own brand names.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar brand is in the top 10, I think that is pretty good!

To be honest I have no idea if Jag's placement was affected by the battery issue. My point is that across all brands it is being seen as a known problem, the industry needs to catch up in battery technology to handle the demands of the new-age tech-centric cars.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
...the industry needs to catch up in battery technology to handle the demands of the new-age tech-centric cars.
Just gotta get that Tesla battery down to a Group 49 size.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

No way, the world is trying to eliminate Lithium, what we need is for the new breakthrough technologies like ZAF Energy Systems to become mainstream as a replacement for lead-acid and lithium technology. Nickel-Zinc baby!

ZAF Energy Systems

Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum reference failed or weak batteries. So many posts regarding the electronics of these cars and the discussion of the more than 120 sensors on an XKR.

This lead to further discussion of using battery maintainers and the necessity to do so. There were many non-believers in the theory that a battery maintainer was not needed.

The article from JD Power now proves the point that using a battery maintainer like a CTEK or any other brand should be an accessory that any owner of a modern car should be using.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

I agree that the only sensible approach at this point is to utilize a maintainer, I certainly do. I can also see the stance of others, the manufacturers have compromised the charging integrity with poor design and it shouldn't require a maintainer. Certainly many brands have implemented electronic intensive systems and don't suffer from drain issues. Perhaps as the lower brands integrate more tech-centric systems the end result is increased complaints.

It always comes down to driving style, my Wife only has short drives around town and rarely hits higher speeds or sustained times. Couple that with weak or outdated charging systems and I am smart enough to know that my battery is often fatigued.