XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cheap fasteners from factory

Old 02-23-2014, 03:45 PM
ud
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Unhappy Cheap fasteners from factory

I waited 3 days before I made this post, so I wouldnt get thrown off this forum.

If you look at the pics of the fasteners the smaller fastener is on the left. This is the factory installed fastener with a screw in it. These hold on the cover in the front of the engine over the radiator and a cross member. They can be pulled out with a finger nail. WTF factory guys!!...................

The fastener on the right is a body shop fastener that you can see is appreciably larger than the factory installed one. These you cant pull out with your finger nail. The pics with the fasteners in the cover show both the factory installed ones and the ones that I started to replace them with.

The ones I was putting in allow for no "play" in the cover and hold it more snug. Both of these fsteners have screws in them...... I accidentally drop one between the radiator cover that u see in the pic and the cover that says "Jaguar Supercharged". I dont like loose sh** floating around so I decide to drop the Lower engine cover.

Atleast I thought I was going to. After I pulled out the 23 screws the cover was going nowhere. Why? Cause once again the factory decided to do things on the cheap, with shoddy chraftsmanship. If you look at the cover removed you will see a vertical 1" flap running the length of the cover in the front. If you look at the pic of the underneath of the car you will see a plastic piece that just droops down without being anchored.

When you try to pull off the bottom cover,it hangs up on that piece that just droops down, in the very front of the engine and no matter how much you wiggle the cover it isnt coming off!!.......... U have to insert a screw driver or what have you to push the droopy plastic part up to prevent the cover from hanging up on it.

I didnt know that cause it aint in the manual......... So as usual I start flying around the garage on my broom and when I get to the extent of being my witchy, bitchy self things go really bad. And then I start throwing sh** and swearing in Russian....... and my bf has to take away my broom. after half an hour of screaming and bullsh**, I looked under the car and figured it out.

I shouldnt have to fix a problem caused by a lazy manufacturer, like Jaguar. I wont even discuss all the loose wires above the cover.......... My car ws never in an accident so I know these are fasteners were the original factory ones.....The piece that dropped down and hung up is used to cover a intercooler running just above the larger piece that I removed.......For the factory to put out a vehicle like this is wrong...

If they want to build cheap sh** , then they should move the factory to Kazachstan, that way everyone can drink potato vodka while on the assembly line and not give a damn about what goes out the factory door. This Polish hooligan feels so much better now and my rant is over

Attached Thumbnails Cheap fasteners from factory-dscn1449.jpg   Cheap fasteners from factory-dscn1450.jpg   Cheap fasteners from factory-dscn1451.jpg   Cheap fasteners from factory-dscn1453.jpg   Cheap fasteners from factory-dscn1454.jpg  

Cheap fasteners from factory-dscn1446.jpg   Cheap fasteners from factory-dscn1447.jpg   Cheap fasteners from factory-dscn1448.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 02-24-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: LINE BREAKS !!!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

LMFAO!!!!! Nice ring to!! I wish I lived near you in case I ever had a problem! BTW what year is you Jag? Thanks gawd I haven't had any problems with mine after a year.......

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 PM
ud
Default Witchy, bitchy Polish hooligan

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
LMFAO!!!!! Nice ring to!! I wish I lived near you in case I ever had a problem! BTW what year is you Jag? Thanks gawd I haven't had any problems with mine after a year.......
I have a 2013 xkr rag top, that I bought from my dad. I didnt have any problems with the car. Car runs great. I put on HR 35 mm springs, A Polish hooligan no muffler exhasut with vance and hines motorcycle baffles in the pipes on each side. I also put on a Mina pulley. HR 15mm spacers front and back. I never did the forum thing till now. I used to have a Miata that I raced with the Rich Bitches Club. I didnt listen to the bf and cut the factory pulley off the xkr while leaving the bushing on the blower shaft, and came to this forum looking for advice. Lot of nice guys here, with good advice, but some are too sensitive to deal with a hooligan like myself. ( A xkrs owner refferred to my car as a hooligan car). If you ever need to be walked thru stuff, I can do you on Skype. I walked a person on another forum on putting on lowering springs. Thanks for the compliment on the ring. 3.1 cts. from my bf from Tiffanys, N.Y.

Last edited by SoCal Babe; 02-23-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Most of the fasteners on these Jaguars are leftover fasteners from Ford Motor Company ownership of Jaguar.

New Fasteners can be bought here:

ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners

A good guideline is Auveco Products, but does not sell direct to customers. You must buy from one of their vendors.

Most fasteners on the Jaguars can be found under the Lincoln (Ford) brand of automobiles.

I just replaced several of the under the bonnet fasteners on my 2009 Jaguar XKR.

Auveco Products - Automotive, Industrial and Specialty Fasteners

This should help.

The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
Muddydog (02-24-2014), SoCal Babe (02-23-2014), Tijoe (02-24-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM
ud
Smile

Originally Posted by richzak
Most of the fasteners on these Jaguars are leftover fasteners from Ford Motor Company ownership of Jaguar.

New Fasteners can be bought here:

A good guideline is Auveco Products, but does not sell direct to customers. You must buy from one of their vendors.

Most fasteners on the Jaguars can be found under the Lincoln (Ford) brand of automobiles.

I just replaced several of the under the bonnet fasteners on my 2009 Jaguar XKR.

Auveco Products - Automotive, Industrial and Specialty Fasteners

This should help.
Thanks so much, Rich!! I appreciate the time you took to post the vendors to get these. You saved me a bunch of time. Sincerely, your friendly Polish hooligan

Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Yeah, I think you're seeing the residue of FoMoCo 'standardisation' on parts.

Frankly, I feckin' hate the proliferation of "fasteners". Why don't the buggers use bolts like proper engineers? Fasteners make sense for things like trim panels where you don't want the attachment method to be visible. But there's no excuse for using them to hold on a non-decorative and aerodynamically important piece of bodywork.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ngarara:
Lothar52 (02-24-2014), MaximA (02-24-2014), sherbercars (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
Thanks so much, Rich!! I appreciate the time you took to post the vendors to get these. You saved me a bunch of time. Sincerely, your friendly Polish hooligan
I had the same problem with my kids Audi and the cheap fastners that held up the belly pan. Had to source a different type that would stay on. The early Audi A4 required you to remove the belly pan to get at the oil filter. The revised engine in 09 moved the filter to on top of the engine. This made for an easy oil and filter change using vacuum oil extractor.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I put on HR 35 mm springs, A Polish hooligan no muffler exhasut with vance and hines motorcycle baffles in the pipes on each side.
Can you post a pic or send it to me of your car, side view of car & wheels, so I can see how 35mm drop looks? How much clearance you have? How do you like the way it handles now? Thank you very much!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM
ud

Originally Posted by jahummer
Can you post a pic or send it to me of your car, side view of car & wheels, so I can see how 35mm drop looks? How much clearance you have? How do you like the way it handles now? Thank you very much!
The only clearance I worry about is going into the driveway over the half curb. I never measured the amount of clearance after I put on the springs. I dont go down surface streets very much as pot-holes or changes in levels of the road surface terrifies me. I drive very fast and have gone airborne a couple times and bottomed out 1 time. I am in the process of having an 1/8th inch aluminum pan fabricated to rivet to the bottom of the car to protect the exposed brake lines and parts that can be destroyed when bottoming out. The camber is now over 2 degrees with the springs on it in the back. No one make shims for this car to bring it under 2 or back to factory specs. So I am taking various shims from different manufactureres to try and modify them to get back to specs. A alignment shop has taken pity on me and has done 3 alignments for the price of 1 in order to get me back to whre I need to be. Taking the knuckles apart is the biggest pita. I would rather have a UTI. The car handles better than I could ever imagine. I have driven my fiances 911 4s rag a lot and I put my xkr in the same category as the 911 in terms of handling. the xkr does frighten me at times, as I dont know its limits as compared to a 911 and dont want to push it to the extent of the 911, and end up killing myself. I am not a big numbers person on handling and other specs. If I were more into the numbers I would probably be able to surpass what my xkr is willing to give me while not destroying the car or killing myself

Last edited by JimC64; 02-23-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: PLEASE ADD LINE BREAKS!!
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
jahummer (02-23-2014), Lothar52 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

How many fasteners are we talking about here? Id like to replace mine with better ones now that I have read this thread!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Anytime you tell me I have Ford fasteners I get scared.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

The only clearance I worry about is going into the driveway over the half curb. I never measured the amount of clearance after I put on the springs. I dont go down surface streets very much as pot-holes or changes in levels of the road surface terrifies me. I drive very fast and have gone airborne a couple times and bottomed out 1 time. I am in the process of having an 1/8th inch aluminum pan fabricated to rivet to the bottom of the car to protect the exposed brake lines and parts that can be destroyed when bottoming out. The camber is now over 2 degrees with the springs on it in the back. No one make shims for this car to bring it under 2 or back to factory specs. So I am taking various shims from different manufactureres to try and modify them to get back to specs. A alignment shop has taken pity on me and has done 3 alignments for the price of 1 in order to get me back to whre I need to be. Taking the knuckles apart is the biggest pita. I would rather have a UTI. The car handles better than I could ever imagine. I have driven my fiances 911 4s rag a lot and I put my xkr in the same category as the 911 in terms of handling. the xkr does frighten me at times, as I dont know its limits as compared to a 911 and dont want to push it to the extent of the 911, and end up killing myself. I am not a big numbers person on handling and other specs. If I were more into the numbers I would probably be able to surpass what my xkr is willing to give me while not destroying the car or killing myself
About the quality of fittings and fasteners and your rant....

I'm an Engineer and, according to some, a rather decent one. I teach young Engineers these days to do/design things better than their antecedents...

Having said that, I can fully relate to you getting totally out of shape over design issues. When I work on my cars, or anything, and I find those all too many poor designs I just about come unglued at the incredible lack of design sense of those who would design/produce and approve such atrocities for production. My wife all too often tries to interfere with the free-flow of my emotions, and attempts to tell me how not to handle such situations; BIG MISTAKE, usually leading to some marital turbulences. She simply will not learn to just leave me alone to vent my frustration into thin air...

About the lowering; I am just due to receive my XKR today off a shipping truck from Texas. One of my planned project is the lowering of the car. That will depend on the initial alignment reads on the non-adjustable back wheels (talking about a terribly poor design - no camber adjustment on a performance car).

I still have my alignment tools from decades of track racing so, checking should take a few minutes, at most. If the cambers are what they used to be on my '05 and '08 XKs (up to -1.7 degrees) I will likely not lower the car as you will not only wear the tires very fast but, the handling will suffer on the street due to too much camber and the wide rear tires not being planted flat. The front tires can take more camber than the wider rears. In my experience the factory tends to set the rear camber quite a bit negative while putting the front cambers to near ZERO. That, to set the car up basically to understeer for safety purposes. If I can not lower my car, and can not install a larger rear sway bar my only remedy for neutral handling will be to set the front cambers to about -1.5 to -1.8, the front toe to ZERO and, depending on the handling at that point, may even set the rear tires at a slight toe-out. I was not happy with the handling of either of my XKs and hope to finally remedy that somehow in the XKR.

Curious; My XKR have ACC or the adaptive cruise control. One poster here said that when he lowered the car he lost his adaptive cruise to a "Cruise Control Not Available" message. The dealer had to take off the front bumper and re-adjust the radar unit (at a cost to the owner) because of the lowering. It worked but, I wonder if you have ACC and was it effected when you lowered the car?

Last edited by axr6; 02-24-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

My Lexus has the cheap plastic fasteners for all the engine cover panels. Every time I've had to remove them, the damn fasteners break. I got to the point where I purchased a huge bag of them on Ebay for a few bucks. Now I don't even try to save the old ones. I just remove them, toss them and replace with new. I haven't had to do anything to the Jag yet, but if the Lexus fasteners fit (and they look like they might from the pics on this thread), I'm all set.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

The fasteners they used throughout the auto industry only get worse with age. The plastic hardens/ages over time and on 10+ year old cars, they often shatter and break when you try to remove them. The S-type I am working on right now, 2/3s of the plastic fasteners have broken! I plan on spending at least $100 on new fasteners when I put the car back together.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 AM

I purchased these for $4/bag of 30. I have enough to fasten the sun to the moon.

They look to be very similar to the Jag fasteners in the op pic. Instead of a screw twist, you push down on these to expand the fastener.

Attached Thumbnails Cheap fasteners from factory-fasteners.jpg  
sherbercars (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I purchased these for $4/bag of 30. I have enough to fasten the sun to the moon.

They look to be very similar to the Jag fasteners in the op pic. Instead of a screw twist, you push down on these to expand the fastener.
With my experience in the auto body trade these fasteners are the best to uses as you can remove easily and reuse.BL

Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
How many fasteners are we talking about here? Id like to replace mine with better ones now that I have read this thread!
Ryan:

Here is the EXACT replacement for the under bonnett/hood fasteners in areas like the side covers near the engine cover. These are used to hold down the two plastic panels one that covers the cabin filter. They are easy to see once you open the hood.

Clipsandfasteners.com Inc.

3158 E. La Palma Ave
Anaheim, CA 92806
714-666-2959
Monday-Friday 10AM-6PM Pacific Standard Time

Customerservice@clipsandfasteners.com

Order these from the above vendor. Once the order is placed they usually ship the same day or next. You can order on-line and pay via Paypal.

Once they arrive about 5 days later...you just insert into the hole and twist down.

You just saved $38.00....cost for a box of 10 is about $12.50 which includes shipping. The original product comes from Auveco Products, but when I called Auveco, they will NOT sell direct, only through the distributors.

A box of 10 will replace all the old ones and will leave you with a few remaining. These are an exact fit for the Jaguar.

We all need to stick together as Jaguar owners to help and assist each other and find the best deals available when it comes to items, parts, aftermarket accessories etc. We are one big family here on Jaguar Forums regardless if we have every met, spoken or know each other.

What's great about the "Jaguar Forums" is .....it's worldwide. So many great people here.

Hope this helps what you are looking for.

Attached Images    
The following 5 users liked this post by richzak:
axr6 (02-24-2014), jehart49 (08-04-2014), JimC64 (02-24-2014), Lothar52 (02-24-2014), Stuart S (02-28-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:13 PM

Found these on Ebay. Box of 100 for $11.

Ford replacement.

Attached Thumbnails Cheap fasteners from factory-image.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

This is awesome...now I need to know exactly the number to look for and exact locations haha. Trust me I am NOT a car guy... I wish one of you guys were around to teach me stuff .

Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
This is awesome...now I need to know exactly the number to look for and exact locations haha. Trust me I am NOT a car guy... I wish one of you guys were around to teach me stuff .
Lothar:

See post #17 above. Keep in mind that the OEM fasteners have a certain length and need to fit the hole properly. Although some fasteners might look the same, but unless they are the proper size and replacement, don't waste your time or money.

I suggest you buy replacements that are exact replacements to what is already in the car.

Post #17 provides photos to compare what you have and the vendor that sells them.

Hope that post helps. I suggest you lift the hood and look at the fasteners that you currently have. Most likely the holes are 9mm in diameter, and you should use the specific length in mm's which is 14mm.

If you can install the CTEK, you can install the fasteners.

Lothar52 (02-24-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap fasteners from factory