XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

cross pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default cross pipe?

2007 xk

I've seen in other Jag threads that people have problems with a (I believe it's called) cross pipe which is behind the water pump and it leaking coolant. Does the 07 XK have one as well? I have something leaking and it's either the water pump or something behind it. I have no clue what is behind it though, if anything is.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I would suggest pressure testing the system as a way to assist in trying to pinpoint the area that is leaking. Some auto parts stores will lend you one. As a fyi, I experienced a small leak in the same general area and I replaced the t-stat, the t-stat housing and the 'cross' pipes as well. May as well do it all, they are all plastic and over time I do believe that they degrade due to the heat they are exposed to. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Lots of people say that Evans Waterless Coolant isn't any good. I use it exclusively in my Street/Drag car and it is EXACTLY what it needs. The temps are cooler than with water/additive mixes (which is a HUGE help with well over 800 hp) and there truly is nearly zero operating pressure other than what the water pump produces. Seriously. I can take the radiator cap off at full temperature WITH the engine running. This results in a nearly TOTAL elimination of possible leaks.
The next time my XKR is up for a flush, you can bet your butt I'll change over to Evans.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Coolant leaks originate from weak pressure points in the system. Remove these pressure points will no doubt lengthen system life from leaks.
I have used Evans Coolant in my '07 XK for three years with no problems whatsoever.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rey:
Cee Jay (01-12-2017), kj07xk (01-12-2017), Panthro (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:09 PM

It looks like it is my water pump leaking from the underneath side of it. I just undid the 3 bolts for the pulley on the water pump but it's not coming off. At this point I don't want to break anything. Outside of the three bolts is there anything else that holds it on?

Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Doesn't look like it. From the workshop manual (if you don't have one, I can send it to you):

Coolant Pump - Vehicles Without:Supercharger
Removal
1 . Remove the cover and disconnect the battery ground cable.
For additional information, refer to Specifications

2. WARNING: Since injury such as scalding could be caused by escaping steam or coolant, do not remove the filler cap from the coolant expansion tank while the system is hot.

Drain the cooling system.
For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding - 4.2L NA V8- AJV8

3 . Remove the thermostat housing.
For additional information, refer to Thermostat Housing - Vehicles Without: Supercharger

4 . Loosen the 3 coolant pump pulley bolts.

5 . Release the accessory drive belt.

Release the tension from the belt.

6 . Remove the coolant pump drive pulley.

Remove the 3 bolts.

7 . Remove the coolant pump.

Remove the 5 bolts.

Discard the gasket.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 PM

Got it off, just had to push against it pretty good. I'm a little gun shy at this point because I don't want anymore stupid expenses. Got the pump off, have new one and gasket but have another question. It looks like there is some sort of sealant of some type on the gasket. I'm assuming I just use a gasket and nothing else but want to make sure since that's on there.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 PM

CeeJay and Rey, why would Evans not cause anymore pressure than what is normally used?

If I want to switch over what's the best way to make sure they system is totally clear of the coolant I have in it? I just changed the water pump and pretty much disconnected every hose. There is probably some in the system but not much at all. I originally drained it from the bottom of the radiator.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Evans does not expand when hot. That's it. Yes, the entire system would need to be purged of all water, but there is a flush specifically made for doing just that. Me, I first drained my system, then forced high volume air through it. I also removed a freeze plug, but that's probably not too easy on a XK. I then I used the flush.
Evans is not cheap, mind you, but it is guaranteed for life. Not "life of the vehicle", but life. If you have it in one car and then sell/crash it, take the Evans out and use it in a different vehicle.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 01-12-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Go to the Evans website, they detail the procedure there. As Cee Jay did, they recommend blowing it out with air (high volume, not high pressure) then use their 'prep' fluid to flush it, then fill with the product. But you're not done yet, as you need to test it to make sure you have less than 3% water in the system. It might be good, but sure seems to be a pain to get there.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 AM

Sorry for the questions but the video is an old car so I want to make sure I would be doing this correctly. Would I need to remove my tstat before blowing the high volume air thru it? I would think that air wouldn't pass thru that connection at the same rate but if I opened that connection I could blow both ways or am I thinking about it wrong. Also, anyone know how difficult it is to access the freeze plug to get the coolant in the engine out? I would like to put Evans in my Jag. There is a motor sport shop near me that carries it so it wouldn't be a big deal getting it.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

They have written instructions on their site as well, and say that removing the thermostat is recommended (unless you have an 'inlet style' thermostat, which I don't think ours is). After you blow it out, you fill and run their 'prep' fluid to get more water out, drain again, and then fill and run the real stuff, and finally test for the % of water remaining in the mix.