Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Experience with a flash tune from OE tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Experience with a flash tune from OE tuning

So after a debate between Eurocharged and OE Tuning flash tune with own flasher , I decided on OE.

Here is the update
After Receiving the my Genius device on the very next day for flashing I sent in my ECU file to OE tuning,They asked me what mods I had and sent me the appropriate tune, received the file a day later. Thumbs up for speed OE!

Flashing the car took maybe 3-4 minutes, simple procedure.
Immediately after driving the car I felt there was a pretty significant, undeniable increase in power in first and second gear. I was exited but After driving for a little while I did notice a problem with pinging at medium load, pinging was very noticeable. I drove with the tune for a few days and tried different fuel with no reduction of ping. Contacted OE and they sent me another tune and this time no ping and car still pulls very strong in first and second gear. So I thought that issues were resolved but after driving for a while it appears that during WOT there does not appear to be any increase in power and possibly less power than stock. I can not verify 100% yet but I switched back to stock tune and at WOT the car feels like it has more power. At lower rpms with the tune there is definitely an increase in power , just a guesstimate I would say easily 30-40hp , the car just pulls like crazy at lower rpm. Now I just got to figure out if there is an issue with power at WOT... Contacted OE and they told me they are limited with 91 fuel that we have in Cali, but that doesnt mean that car should loose power on top. Hopefully OE will figure out what the issue is
So far just by using torqupro android app I can see that at low to medium loads the OE tune is much richer than stock. With stock tune at low load the car would stay at around 14 AFR, with the tune it dips to 12 and below 12 sometimes. I cant really figure out what is going on at WOT because Torqueapp maxes out at 11.6 AFR and does not seem to be able to read any lower than that.
If anyone has any experience or suggestions on what I can log to figure out the lack of gains at WOT I would appreciate it

Last edited by AlexJag; 07-29-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Alex,
I chose Eurocharged tune and pulley (about 6 months ago), and although I never experienced pinging, I would concur that 1st and 2nd felt stronger (at least at the beginning), but 3rd-5th seem to be lifeless, potentially less powerful than stock tune. I have noticed it significantly when I have to accelerate on the freeway in 4th in relatively low rpms, it just doesn't have any pep.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

I have used both companies and without a pre and post dyno result its all seat of the pants which is extremely frustrating as you really have no idea whether the money you spent was really worth it

With the custom dyno tune I managed to gain a further 25 whp over the generic tune , so not only are you able to gain extra hp but the custom tune will always be a lot safer plus the added benefit of not having to worry about detonation .

Old 07-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by tberg
Alex,
I chose Eurocharged tune and pulley (about 6 months ago), and although I never experienced pinging, I would concur that 1st and 2nd felt stronger (at least at the beginning), but 3rd-5th seem to be lifeless, potentially less powerful than stock tune. I have noticed it significantly when I have to accelerate on the freeway in 4th in relatively low rpms, it just doesn't have any pep.
Very interesting.. Did you contact Eurocharged about the issue? Have you dynoed, took the car to a strip to verify gains?

Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I have used both companies and without a pre and post dyno result its all seat of the pants which is extremely frustrating as you really have no idea whether the money you spent was really worth it

With the custom dyno tune I managed to gain a further 25 whp over the generic tune , so not only are you able to gain extra hp but the custom tune will always be a lot safer plus the added benefit of not having to worry about detonation .
This is what I thought as well but when I spoke with OE tuning over the phone , they assured me that gains were similar with custom dyno tune, but now especially after pinging with the first tune it makes me wonder...

Old 07-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

With generic tunes its really a hit and miss , your also taking a bigger risk as in your case as forced induction is involved

In your position i would either

Take it to a shop that has a dyno and have a few runs collecting data from the oe tune and factory tune including the A.F.R then send it back to them so they can make the necessary adjustments to the file

Get it custom tuned and see if you can refunded for the file that way you know it'll be perfect

Remove the pulley upgrades ( that is whether you have ) add an x pipe to the exhaust and see if you are able to locate someone who will be able to assist in uploading the factory 540hp xkr-s tune

In my case when i had the generic tune i was only speculating to the fact whether i could actually feel the difference in power however once i got it properly re-tuned on the dyno there was no question about the performance increase it transformed the car

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 07-29-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Alex are you driving a 4.2 or 5.0 Litre?

Old 07-30-2016, 03:24 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Alex are you driving a 4.2 or 5.0 Litre?
Its a 4.2

Im getting a little bit upset with EO tuning at this point. They sent me an email back saying that nothing then can do about low power at WOT and since I have custom mods, I now need a custom tune ($600 extra, plus driving time there)
...Really OE Tuning? My only mods are the 1.5lb pulley and stock airbox that is slightly modified. If I kept on driving on the first tune they sent me with pinging I could of blown my engine.... How about some responsibility for the work you provide OE?

Last edited by AlexJag; 07-30-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:28 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
With generic tunes its really a hit and miss , your also taking a bigger risk as in your case as forced induction is involved

In your position i would either

Take it to a shop that has a dyno and have a few runs collecting data from the oe tune and factory tune including the A.F.R then send it back to them so they can make the necessary adjustments to the file

Get it custom tuned and see if you can refunded for the file that way you know it'll be perfect

Remove the pulley upgrades ( that is whether you have ) add an x pipe to the exhaust and see if you are able to locate someone who will be able to assist in uploading the factory 540hp xkr-s tune

In my case when i had the generic tune i was only speculating to the fact whether i could actually feel the difference in power however once i got it properly re-tuned on the dyno there was no question about the performance increase it transformed the car
Steve
I agree on the custom tune but why remove the pulley? Even without the tune the pulley did make more power

Old 07-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AlexJag
Steve
I agree on the custom tune but why remove the pulley? Even without the tune the pulley did make more power
Alex that would be only if option three was selected as im unsure whether the factory 540hp xkr-s tune would stick

However if custom dyno tuning by by allmeans keep the smaller pully on.

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 07-30-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexJag
Very interesting.. Did you contact Eurocharged about the issue? Have you dynoed, took the car to a strip to verify gains?
Alex,
I have been working 18 hour days with my crew for the last 4 months trying to finish moving a very large tenant into our office building, so I just haven't had time. Eurocharged was very responsive when I worked with them (and my first tune wouldn't load into the computer at all), and I didn't have any problems with communication or service with them, so I'm sure I'll be able to resolve. I also am not sure that I remember this happening when the tune was first loaded. In about three weeks when we finish, I will give them a call and see if we can't figure it out.
Thanks,
Ted