Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

And the hits keep coming!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts
Default And the hits keep coming!!!!

So my car was done Wednesday of this week after getting its 3rd water pump fixed and I could not get to dealership while open. So my father who is 67 says he will go over and get my car for me Thursday Morning. He gets the car.. thinks he hears a noise... and put it in the garage and doesnt want to upset me at work because he thought he hears something - he simply says its tucked away and I need to come get it myself later and check to make sure its ok. I said whats wrong? He says oh I hear a ticking. I said oh that probably the engine has makes noises that can sound like ticking....

SO.. I go get the car Friday night from his house.

The ticking is my Fan/Blower slowing dying and coming to a halt. I notice this when driving away. AC system completely dies - no air blowing. Its about this time I hear a high pitched noise coming from the front of my car making it sound like a diesel truck. Real high pitched noise. Makes my ears want to bleed. I have a clip of it if anyone wants to hear a diesel XK....

HOLY CRAP...WHAT NOW...HOW DID THEY SCREW UP MY CAR?!??!!?!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Wish you would quit messing that thing up, you're making the rest of us depressed! You can borrow mine for a bit if you want

My last straw before taking Porsche to lemon law with my first Boxster - I had them try to repair the ABS and PSM (Porsche stability management) for the 4th time. I got all the way from the service bay parking spot to their driveway, maybe 50', before the lights came back on. This was after they assured me repeatedly ho many times they tested and retested it. Sounds like you're right there with great luck

Last edited by Leeper; 08-26-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

Its a very loud high pitched squeal. After talking to a UK Board member Its almost surely a Belt or Pulley Bearing....Belt either misaligned or bad from fluids/etc. The water pump is what was changed out... The belts are now squealing S/P dealership fix. I notice:
1- Poor performance
2- Sluggish Steering
3- Air Blower not working well and then stopped working
4- Loud Squeal at the front

Pretty sure something is wrong with the belt and it powers alot of systems....The blower is electrical but the generator runs off the belt so maybe the ECM is pulling power away from Blower?? Is it that smart??.... Issue is that a belt also does the water pump - so now Im likely to need a tow back to the dealership in case that belt is the belt?

The other issue here is... IS THIS THE DEALERSHIPS FAULT? The facts are:
1- Car running perfect I take it in for oil change and told them i noticed a few spots on floor put it on rack and check for fluid leak... they call back and say yes its coolant - you need a 4th water pump (3rd failure).

2- I get the car back fixed and it sounds like a diesel engine, has poor performance, power steering is sluggish, and the blower is crap and then stops.

Should they pay for the tow??? Should anything be my responsibility here????

Old 08-27-2016, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

btw the car is 4.5 yrs old and out of Manufacturer warranty.... The problems it has vary... and occurred outside the 1st yr and 10k. miles..... im sunk on lemon law for this thing.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I guess there is no doubt in my position. It's on them as things just don't happen after someone (dealer or indy) touch the car. I would have called and left a message that night. I also would make it clear that they need to pick up the car and fix it as the results of their work has caused these problems. Arrange either a meeting or telcon with the service advisor , service manager and the dealership GM. I would try to keep it at a professional level and avoid conflict until or unless they are unwilling to resolve the workmanship issues. I still gotta say this car seems to be possessed . You seem to be the one out of thousands who have all of the problems. If I were you I'd buy a lottery ticket. Good luck

Old 08-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Get informed. "Magnuson Moss Warranty Act" One of the most important parts of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is its fee shifting provision.

Many law firms offer free consultation, some will even only cost you if you win your case.

Google "Ohio Lemon Law" and read up.

Last edited by JagRag; 08-27-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Can a used car be a lemon?
Despite the fact that a used car is a much more likely candidate to be a “lemon,” federal lemon laws generally cover only new vehicle purchases. But there is one major exception: if the owner has received an express written warranty along with the used vehicle, then federal lemon law will likely cover the used car.

also
https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Re...anUse-197.aspx

Your fight seems to be against the initial repairing shop if they gave you any sort of warranty on the work and parts otherwise you'll be looking for "good faith" repairs. This last place YES they should be paying for the towing absolutely! If this is the same place tat did earlier work I'd personally not return there rather I'd find another shop that's reputable and hope they can resolve these symptoms. There's no way your car should exhibit anything of those obvious issues.

Last edited by Leeper; 08-27-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Ohio Lemon Law

The Ohio Lemon Law only applies to vehicles less than 1 year old or that have less than 18,000 miles. Sorry, Lothar!

Old 08-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Just tried to see what happened when I turned the car in without the engine regarding the electrics and blower.... Nothing.... The XKRS blows hot air and so did the XKR... But now nothing from the XKR vents. Seemed today the blower would work on cold cold start then the fan would get weaker over short time, start ticking at low rpm and then die. Any thoughts please?

Last edited by Lothar52; 08-27-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I would document everything and call Jaguar NA. Offer to send them copies of all of your paperwork if necessary. Even though your car may be out of warranty you either have a bad vehicle or a lousy dealer. Jaguar NA will probably want to look into all of the issues and may be willing to help you out as a good will gesture.

Before you reject this idea, think of these - nothing ventured nothing gained - the worst thing that can happen is they won't help you and you are back where you started. Then it might be time to find an attorney who will/can advise you as to your next practical steps.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
The Ohio Lemon Law only applies to vehicles less than 1 year old or that have less than 18,000 miles. Sorry, Lothar!
He could still use the Magnuson Moss warranty act

if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.

I used this for my 2000 xkr when the dealer failed to repair many different issues. I ended up getting a full refund and elected not to get a replacement. I waited 14 years until I got another Jag.

Last edited by rfr66; 08-28-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

That is good to know about, questions though:

1. What year did you invoke the Magnusson act?
2. Was the car under full factory warranty at the time?

The reason I ask is that from what I read this act is expressly for cars under warranty. The OP is out of warranty. Just curious how that plays for him.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rfr66
He could still use the Magnuson Moss warranty act

if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.

I used this for my 2000 xkr when the dealer failed to repair many different issues. I ended up getting a full refund and elected not to get a replacement. I waited 14 years until I got another Jag.
This is good to know. My factory warranty was OUT in January but they still had the car changing out the VVT's, timing chain, timing chain tensioner and water pump. I got it back in Feb and its now Aug and the pump died again. Now they tried to fix that they blew the rest of the car up....

Its the 3rd pump replacement and 2 time replaced in the last year I believe. Its out of manufacturer warranty but I did buy Jag Vehicle Protection Plan which is a aftermarket warranty with a per visit deductible.

This morning I started the car and on very initial startup there is an immediate squeek then it goes silent. The blower in the cabin blows cool air but as the RPM's go down on the car the blower gets weaker and weaker till it STOPS and is essentially dead to any controls. Anybody have a clue as to how it works at initial startup then dies??? Regardless the entire time there is this noise coming from the vents like a very tiny baseball card being hit by the blades... it speeds up and slows down with the flow of air. Please anyone thoughts?

Remember. IT WENT IN JUST FOR A WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT. Sqeeks and Squeels (Belt noises)... when I did drive it back from my fathers place to mine it seemed sluggish. And this Blower/AIR problem.... Its all got me scratching my head!!!

if they thought the belts were bad maybe they would have replaced them while they were in there??? How did they not hear this initially??? At any rate maybe the NEW WATER PUMP is defective and has a bad bearing??? How would any of this effect my BLOWER? Why does the blower slow down and die over time and RPM of car on startup? Why does it work for short period of time on cold start only? When it dies on startup if you turn the car off and turn it back on again - no air at all.

Last edited by Lothar52; 08-28-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It almost sounds like the blower motor bearing is starting to go and as it heats up from running it starts to seize and stop. This may also be the squeal you hear. If you turn the fan on manual does it run?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
That is good to know about, questions though:

1. What year did you invoke the Magnusson act?
2. Was the car under full factory warranty at the time?

The reason I ask is that from what I read this act is expressly for cars under warranty. The OP is out of warranty. Just curious how that plays for him.
The car was 18 months old and still under warranty. But if his problem first occurred under warranty and continued after the warranty expired it would still be covered as a pre-existing problem.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It almost sounds like the blower motor bearing is starting to go and as it heats up from running it starts to seize and stop. This may also be the squeal you hear. If you turn the fan on manual does it run?
Manual runs initially on cold start but then dies in manual or auto regardless.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
The car was 18 months old and still under warranty. But if his problem first occurred under warranty and continued after the warranty expired it would still be covered as a pre-existing problem.
Agreed, that works for the water pump and his 3rd or 4th trip, not sure which it is as Lothar has posted both counts in different threads. But this is an issue with what sounds to be like the dealer screwing up something else while working on the water pump. Seems the fubar'd his belt or something else during the install.

If he were to try and use the Magnusson definitely would do it right away to hold them accountable for the multiple water pump issue.

Last edited by tampamark; 08-29-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.

The Magnuson–Moss act was enacted by Congress in response to the widespread misuse by merchants of express warranties and disclaimers. The purpose of the Act is to make warranties on consumer products more readily understood and enforceable and to provide the Federal Trade Commission with means to better protect consumers. The statute is remedial in nature and is intended to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Act.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (08-29-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Agreed, that works for the water pump and his 3rd or 4th trip, not sure which it is as Lothar has posted both counts in different threads. But this is an issue with what sounds to be like the dealer screwing up something else while working on the water pump. Seems the fubar'd his belt or something else during the install.

If he were to try and use the Magnusson definitely would do it right away to hold them accountable for the multiple water pump issue.

3 pumps have gone bad. I have my 4th in the car. So im on my 4th pump.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Suddenly, I'm glad I have the 4.2 vs. the 5.0 and all of it's systemic water pump issues. Eeek.

Quick Reply: And the hits keep coming!!!!