XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

HKS Camp2 and GVIF install

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
You're welcome. You've got the sequence right. I just took a look at the manual online for the latest version of the GVIF (http://car-solutions.com/nfs/product...guide_V7.2.pdf , page 16, bottom right corner) and see that there is an OEM skip setting, which seems to say that the OEM input (Nav) is skipped after booting (power up). So that might do what you want. You could post a question on their website and see if that will do it for you.
Well they got back to me with a bit of a baffling response:

Hello.

First of all, this video interface doesn't fit your car.

OEM Skip means that OEM screen will not be shown as first input. It will be RGB-AV1-AV2-AV3-OEM instead of OEM-RGB-AV1... .

With best regards,
Yuriy Demchenko
Technical Support Department

So I've assured him that this is the model installed by many here on the forum and sent him his own link.

My response;
Thank you Yuriy but by all indications on your web site, that video interface does fit the 2007 Jaguar XK. All of my friends have successfully installed it as well. It does require a slight modification to the GVIF cable.

GVIF car video interface for Lexus, Toyota, Land Rover, Cadillac, Jaguar

Back to your answer, can you please tell me how to accomplish this? what settings do i make or change?
"OEM Skip means that OEM screen will not be shown as first input. It will be RGB-AV1-AV2-AV3-OEM instead of OEM-RGB-AV1... ."

Once you provide this info, I'll proceed with the purchase and I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Sean

I'll let you know if they respond

Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

And they have just confirmed what we already know:

[B]If you have such head unit http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Ja..._i001-1024.jpg
and OEM navigation on DVD then this video interface will fit.[B]

So I've repeated my request for instructions. Once provided, I think I have a solution for both starting the vehicle in gauge mode (instructions requested), as well as auto changing the screen when car is put in reverse without the need to press a button. Then going forward, you will only need to press a button to switch from OEM screen to Camp2 screen and back. More on that later.

Now does someone has an extra GVIF they care to sell me?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

And they have just confirmed what we already know:

If you have such head unit http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Ja..._i001-1024.jpg
and OEM navigation on DVD then this video interface will fit.

So I've repeated my request for instructions. Once provided, I think I have a solution for both starting the vehicle in gauge mode (instructions requested), as well as auto changing the screen when car is put in reverse without the need to press a button. Then going forward, you will only need to press a button to switch from OEM screen to Camp2 screen and back. More on that later.

Now does someone has an extra GVIF they care to sell me?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Car Solutions does not actually make these. A Korean company called Q-DIS makes them. Here is the link: QDIS

Maybe they can help if Car Solutions cannot.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
kj07xk (01-16-2017), Sean W (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

That's promising, although what bothers me is that the manual I point to above, on page 16, shows the 'Factory mode' screen, and under the 'UTIL' menu it shows 'NAVI MODEL' and 'FACTORY RESET', but not the 'OEM SKIP' listed in the text. Maybe they didn't update the screenshots.
If the weather is warm next weekend, I'll see if I can get a chance to uncover my cat and take a look at what mine has.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention, you'll probably still need two screen presses:
1. to get from the home screen to the nav (now camera screen),
2. dismiss the backup sensor display overlay

Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention, you'll probably still need two screen presses:
1. to get from the home screen to the nav (now camera screen),
2. dismiss the backup sensor display overlay
Here's my solution for the backup prioritization/ automation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This should be installed on the input side of GVIF. Input the intelligent video switcher to AV1 on the GVIF input side, reverse camera to reverse camera input on inelegant video switcher (do not use the GVIF reverse camera), then gauges to AV2 on the intelligent switcher.

Per this unit, reverse will automatically get the priority and once out of reverse, you will have the gauges displayed.

Couple this with OEM Skip (if in fact works) and theoretically at least, you can start you car with HKS Camp2 displaying, put in reverse, than back into drive and have gauges displayed. That leaves the button for toggling to/ from OEM.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-16-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Car Solutions does not actually make these. A Korean company called Q-DIS makes them. Here is the link: QDIS

Maybe they can help if Car Solutions cannot.
Thanks Steve. Interesting. I went to their site and downloaded the manual. The manual is for the same version as Car-Solutions but page 16 has the skip OEM information, however, the model displayed on the page is not v7.2. I sent an inquiry. I don't know if it went through. we shall see.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

And the response from Car-Solutions tech support is the dip switches or remote:

Input video mute function: possible to make each input mute by operating Dip S/W , manual http://car-solutions.com/nfs/product...guide_V7.2.pdf , page 13 .
Switch input mode : by remote control unit or by the source toggle .

Old 01-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Something to do with the location of the OEM MAP sensor. I installed the HKS boost pressure sensor and IF unit and all is well.

Unfortunately this adds a bit of cost. The "IF" is an interface between the boost sensor and the camp2. It's easy to install though.

Here are part numbers:
44008-AK011
I/F Unit Interface Kit

44999-AK021
Optional Boost Pressure Sensor - (Requires I/F Unit)
Where did you install it and what PSI are you seeing at the new location? Thank you!

EDIT: Would moving the factory tap to your new location be a good idea too?

Old 01-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
And the response from Car-Solutions tech support is the dip switches or remote:

Input video mute function: possible to make each input mute by operating Dip S/W , manual http://car-solutions.com/nfs/product...guide_V7.2.pdf , page 13 .
Switch input mode : by remote control unit or by the source toggle .
Well again, nothing we didn't already know. Each input can be disabled via a dip switch, and the input to display is selected via the pushbutton.
So their tech support is a Russian, reading a Korean manual, and giving a response in English. Yep, that works for me.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Here's my solution for the backup prioritization/ automation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This should be installed on the input side of GVIF. Input the intelligent video switcher to AV1 on the GVIF input side, reverse camera to reverse camera input on inelegant video switcher (do not use the GVIF reverse camera), then gauges to AV2 on the intelligent switcher.

Per this unit, reverse will automatically get the priority and once out of reverse, you will have the gauges displayed.

Couple this with OEM Skip (if in fact works) and theoretically at least, you can start you car with HKS Camp2 displaying, put in reverse, than back into drive and have gauges displayed. That leaves the button for toggling to/ from OEM.
I don't see the need for this extra switcher, as that is what the GVIF already does. The backup camera does get priority over the other inputs.
If I have the gauges displayed, and then shift into reverse, I get the rearview camera display. Shift out of reverse, and my display goes back to the gauges.
What neither that switcher, or the GVIF can do automatically, is take you directly to the Nav screen display when you start the car, you still need to press the 'Navigation' button on the infotainment screen.
Secondly, no matter what is displayed on the screen, when you shift into reverse, that display is overlaid with the 'reverse sensor' display, that you have to dismiss by touching the screen again. That overlay is not coming in the signal from the Nav unit to the head unit, so there's nothing you can do from this approach to get around it.
Those are the things that Steve is trying to accomplish with his controller.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Well again, nothing we didn't already know. Each input can be disabled via a dip switch, and the input to display is selected via the pushbutton.
So their tech support is a Russian, reading a Korean manual, and giving a response in English. Yep, that works for me.
Hehe, agreed but check out the manual I attached from the QDIS site on page 16. The "Skip OEM" functionality is visible in their manual on the utility screen vs. Car solutions. Strange. The question is, is it visible in your settings?

Old 01-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hehe, agreed but check out the manual I attached from the QDIS site on page 16. The "Skip OEM" functionality is visible in their manual on the utility screen vs. Car solutions. Strange. The question is, is it visible in your settings?
Hopefully I can check that out next weekend.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

For 'Skip OEM' to work, assuming it is in the menu, there would have to be data communications link between the GVIF converter and the vehicle.

The GVIF standard is digital video only, with no in-band data link.

The only other option is the CANbus connection on the GVIF converter, which I believe I had seen in one of the versions of the GVIF manual was only for connection in certain LandRovers. In my study of the CANbus on the XK, I never found a command that could do this, but on the other hand there is no guarantee that I did not overlook it.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

For 'Skip OEM' to work, assuming it is in the menu, there would have to be data communications link between the GVIF converter and the vehicle.

The GVIF standard is digital video only, with no in-band data link.

The only other option is the CANbus connection on the GVIF converter, which I believe I had seen in one of the versions of the GVIF manual was only for connection in certain LandRovers. In my study of the CANbus on the XK, I never found a command that could do this, but on the other hand there is no guarantee that I did not overlook it.
I think they mean something much simpler. As Sean posted earlier, their tech had replied to him:

OEM Skip means that OEM screen will not be shown as first input. It will be RGB-AV1-AV2-AV3-OEM instead of OEM-RGB-AV1... .

So when powering up the GVIF, it will look for an active video source on all other inputs before checking the OEM input.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see how that solves the rear camera problem then.

The OEM screen is not an input to the GVIF module. The OEM video internally drives the screen in the headunit, and the GVIF module has no control over it.

There is no OEM (Home, Climate, Radio, etc) screen GVIF signal, only an OEM navigation screen GVIF signal.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-16-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

It doesn't solve the problem, just eliminates the need to press the GVIF pushbutton to switch the display from the OEM-Nav screen, to the HKS Camp2 gauges display (which will change to the rear camera, when shifting into reverse).

The term 'OEM', in the GVIF references, should be thought of as the 'Nav unit display' source.

I think Sean was hoping for more, but all the OEM-Skip mode (if available) will do is eliminate one button press in the sequence. The car will always start up on the 'Home' screen.

So to get to the gauges display, instead of:

'Navigation' -> 'Agree' -> GVIF-button

The sequence would be:

'Navigation' -> 'Agree'

When shifting into reverse, you still need to touch the screen to dismiss the sensor display.

We (I) still need your controller to make the process automatic.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

I don't see the need for this extra switcher, as that is what the GVIF already does. The backup camera does get priority over the other inputs.
If I have the gauges displayed, and then shift into reverse, I get the rearview camera display. Shift out of reverse, and my display goes back to the gauges.
What neither that switcher, or the GVIF can do automatically, is take you directly to the Nav screen display when you start the car, you still need to press the 'Navigation' button on the infotainment screen.
Secondly, no matter what is displayed on the screen, when you shift into reverse, that display is overlaid with the 'reverse sensor' display, that you have to dismiss by touching the screen again. That overlay is not coming in the signal from the Nav unit to the head unit, so there's nothing you can do from this approach to get around it.
Those are the things that Steve is trying to accomplish with his controller.
OK duh - now it's sinking in. Thank you for using the larger sized bricks. Sometimes the first few bricks have little effect. I've often said I'm one DNA strand away from hillbilly.

And if I were king of the hill folk, I'd settle for one more tab on the OEM screen that displays the gauge data.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see how that solves the rear camera problem then.

The OEM screen is not an input to the GVIF module. The OEM video internally drives the screen in the headunit, and the GVIF module has no control over it.

There is no OEM (Home, Climate, Radio, etc) screen GVIF signal, only an OEM navigation screen GVIF signal.
Nope, it's me that's missing something. If I install one, I'll hopefully provide more useful input.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-16-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: HKS Camp2 and GVIF install