XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jag Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Jag Wrangler

How many of you on here have the Jag Wrangler top controller on their car? I can't believe Jaguar didn't make operating the top a one-touch operation to begin with, but a minor quibble I guess.

Unless someone has any negatives to share, I'm ready to pull the trigger on one. Just can't decide if it's worth the extra $70 to control the rear windows though. Thanks for any comments from those of you who've installed one.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

I have one, windows included, and would definitely get the windows again. I also had one on my XK8, although those never had the Window option.
Probably the best single purchase I've made for the Jaguar. Both of the Jaguars. Cool factor alone makes it well worth the price.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
ralphwg (02-16-2017), Simon Tan (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I have one, windows included, and would definitely get the windows again. I also had one on my XK8, although those never had the Window option.
Probably the best single purchase I've made for the Jaguar. Both of the Jaguars. Cool factor alone makes it well worth the price.
I went ahead and ordered the full-blown unit. I should know by now that I probably wont ever regret spending the extra $70 even if I never use the rear windows, but it could well gnaw on me if I miss out on the feature.

How long did it take to install? I looked at the instructions online and it's more involved than I expected. I thought it would all be done from the trunk - didn't realize you had to go through the rear seats and work around the roll bars.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Simon,

+1 on what Cee Jay said. The optional rear window control is absolutely necessary if you want to enjoy a relatively calm cabin at 70 mph with a top down - but you'll also need a rear windscreen for maximum calm.

I was one of the first Forum members to get the kit and did the installation myself. I'm not a mechanic, and if I can do it anyone can do it who can read English and follow directions. If you have any problems, Steve is just a phone call away. Or you can pay a mechanic to do it.

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
Simon Tan (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If you have any question during the installation process just email me.

I try to respond as quickly as possible, and we will get on the phone or skype if needed. I guarantee success.

Simon Tan (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

The X150 unit installs in less than HALF the time it took to do the X100 unit, and that one was under an hour. The rear seat is super easy, don't sweat that part. It's easier THAN going through the trunk, more accessible. If you take more than 30 minutes from start to end, you're pretty slow. Don't rush though, problems can arise although not very likely. Great kit and great instructions.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

The X150 unit installs in less than HALF the time it took to do the X100 unit, and that one was under an hour. The rear seat is super easy, don't sweat that part. It's easier THAN going through the trunk, more accessible. If you take more than 30 minutes from start to end, you're pretty slow. Don't rush though, problems can arise although not very likely. Great kit and great instructions.
I think you are a bit of a speed demon CeeJay! Most people take 2-3 hours.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Took me about 4, start to finish, and a good chunk (at least half an hour) was spent trying to get the rear seatbacks out. Steve's instructions at the time didn't include dealing with the factory installed brackets for the OEM windscreen. I yanked and pulled, and worked up a good sweat and exercised my 4-letter vocabulary extensively!
Spent another chunk of time trying to get the seatbacks back in, until I decided to remove the brackets, put the seatbacks in, and then reinstall the brackets, worked like a charm then.
I took the seatbacks out again to install the HKS Camp2, and by removing the brackets first, easy-peazy.
Steve has since updated his instructions to include those brackets, if you have them.

Absolutely agree with the previous comments. The best mod I've made to the car, and yes the rear window control is great. Gives the side view of the car a smoother look, as you follow the top edge of the glass from the windshield to the trunk. You won't be disappointed.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I think you are a bit of a speed demon CeeJay! Most people take 2-3 hours.
I read, reread, re-reread and read again, so I didn't need to stop while doing any of it. MAYBE it took me 40, but seriously no longer.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

I read, reread, re-reread and read again, so I didn't need to stop while doing any of it. MAYBE it took me 40, but seriously no longer.
Dang! It takes me at least 90 minutes and I wrote the instructions! (Albeit I am usually chatting with a local customer when I do it)

Cee Jay (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Simon,

Fear not! As I previously mentioned in my Post #5, above, if I can do it myself so can you. Because I had never attempted anything like this before, I took my time reading Steve's instructions before I embarked on this adventure. Why did I want to try to do it myself? I'm retired and thought it might be fun - something totally different from my previous incarnation as a desk jockey professional - and provide me with a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment by having built something tangible and exotic with my own hands. I don't recall exactly, but it probably took me 5 - 6 hours or more to do everything over 2 days (I started after dinner and finished the next morning ), but that included thoroughly cleaning and conditioning the rear seats after I removed them as well as the rest of the interior. Steve's illustrated and detailed instructions really made it easy. The only thing that was a bit difficult for my old bones was working in cramped quarters behind the front seats. Be sure to move the front seats as far forward and up as possible to give yourself as much room as possible to be somewhat comfortable while you're working

I've struggled more with helping my grandson assemble some of his LEGOs.

I'm looking forward to another fun project when Steve has his backup camera kit ready for market.

Stuart

Old 02-16-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Simon - You have made the correct decision. The remote top controller with the rear window controls is probably the best after market item you could add to your vert other than a performance enhancing change, but that's a whole other thing. Although I didn't do the installation(s), it's now on its second car, myself installation is relatively easy and shouldn't take more than 3 hours; even if you have to contact Steve for some assistance. Furthermore Steve is a really good guy and wants his customers to be totally satisfied.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Success! Took about 3 leisurely hours and 2 cold beers . Active time was probably only about half of that, but I had to get out of the cramped quarters every fifteen minutes or so to avoid getting a crick in my neck. Cee Jay must be about 4'8" with none of my ADD to be able to sit in the back with the top down and do all the wire connections in one shot .

Kudos to Steve for the outstanding instructions and a great product that truly works as advertised. Shame on Jaguar for not having all of this standard on a car they wanted over $100k for

The following 4 users liked this post by Simon Tan:
Cee Jay (02-25-2017), ralphwg (02-25-2017), tberg (02-26-2017), WhiteXKR (02-25-2017)