XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

My TPMS Fault journey...

Old 05-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts
Default My TPMS Fault journey...

We begin with new wheels and tires. I installed all brand new (not Jag) VDO units in brand new Senta replica wheels. Discount tire tested them and they were all transmitting data.

A few months later on occasion I got "tire not monitored" ("TNM" from now on) on the right front tire. I dropped all the tires pressure to 15psi with the car off and then turned the ignition on. Got warnings for all four tires. Pumped them all up to 32psi and everything cleared.

Guess what? TNM on the right front. Again. Let's eliminate the antennas. So this time I swap the antennas on the front to see if the failure follows it. Try the pressure drop thing again. Now I have a "tire pressure system fault" (TPSF from now on). I remove the fuse F2. Get the ugly red exclamation point with the TPSF. Turn the car off and re install the fuse. Red goes away but still have the TPSF.

Grrrrr. So during 4 days out of town I disconnect the battery. Come back an re connect. No change. Still have TPSF. Took it on a 15 minute ride down the interstate non stop. TPSF.

Now let's eliminate the TPMS modules in the tires. Into the basement I go and grab the original OEM jupiter wheels. Never had trouble with them. Install them with the car off. I drop all the pressures to 15psi. Turn on the ignition and fill all to 32psi. Still showing TPSF. Test drive, no change.

I've eliminated the TPMS sensors in the wheels. I've eliminated the TPMS antennas in the wheel wells. I've just printed the trouble shooting guide from the manual and that starts tomorrow.

Read somewhere here that the bumper can rub through the wires on the right front side. Tomorrow I will jack stand the car and remove all the fender liners and back seat and start looking for a short. Probably remove the bumper too.

This system sucks. I hate nanny crap. I wonder if there is anyway to just turn it off? Either that or make a CAN terminator at the TPMS module. I may have to become a CANBUS expert. Grrrrr.

.....to be continued.

Last edited by flyc2c; 05-24-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I had the same problem for a few weeks, had the transmitters all checked; OK. Swapped the sensors; no joy. Did an OBDII check; no defects. The Right Front still stayed as TNM. I also did the 15+ mph for probably 60 miles or more. No good. Anyway, to end this story....... the next day I drove for probably 30 minutes and about 25 miles in fairly heavy rain, and halfway through this deluge I noticed NO TNM LIGHT!!!! I don't know what or why, but it has remained off ever since.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I am told by the service director at my Jaguar dealer that the antenna wire in the front bumper area is very delicate and has a tendency to break or fray. That might be the root of your problems.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

There is also a TPMS module in the trunk area near the battery. The module is the heart of the system in addition to the TPMS Initiator located in the wheel wells that has the antenna.

Aftermarket vendors sell the TPMS module for about $100 to $120.00 and it is a simple plug in and play device.

These TPMS are a PITA.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by richzak

Aftermarket vendors sell the TPMS module for about $100 to $120.00 and it is a simple plug in and play device.

These TPMS are a PITA.
Do you have a link? I have a coupe so the module is behind the fuse panel. I'll be checking the receiver too. I refuse to pay for random troubleshooting at $100+ an hour.

Also, I've heard when you replace the module it has to be programmed by Jag (which is ridiculous). May not be plug and play.

Does anyone know if you can reflash this system or make it permanently inoperative without the warnings?

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I am told by the service director at my Jaguar dealer that the antenna wire in the front bumper area is very delicate and has a tendency to break or fray. That might be the root of your problems.
So I've heard. I truly hope this is all it is. I'll be posting pics.

Last edited by flyc2c; 05-25-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Do you have a link? I have a coupe so the module is behind the fuse panel. I'll be checking the receiver too. I refuse to pay for random troubleshooting at $100+ an hour.

Also, I've heard when you replace the module it has to be programmed by Jag (which is ridiculous). May not be plug and play.

Does anyone know if you can reflash this system or make it permanently inoperative without the warnings?

So I've heard. I truly hope this is all it is. I'll be posting pics.
TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR COMPONENTS.. Fits: Jaguar XKR | FetchParts

Old 05-26-2015, 05:02 PM

BAM! It was the bumper harness! I made a new post so it was searchable.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post1236497

It would probably be smart for all XK owners to remove the right front headlight and see if your wiring is run between the bumper skin and bracket before you have a TPMS problem. This may save your module from getting fried or having this problem in the first place. It only takes 15 minutes to pop it out and it could save you a lot of headache.