Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nanoskin detail - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Default Nanoskin detail - WOW!

After seeing it discussed several times on the forum, I finally bought the yellow medium grade Nanoskin AutoScrub mit and a couple of gallons of NanoShock orange lubricant & sealant late last year. This afternoon finally seemed like a nice cool time to get around to this. I have never clayed or waxed the car (I have my own set of theories about detailing) and while the paint looks shiny and new I could see & feel the surface building up with a layer of contaminants not removed from frequent washing. I hand washed the car and then began the surface decontamination process using generous amounts NanoShock (I used a full quart). Process was fairly easy, almost as easy as washing the car with a wash mit as long as the surface remains well lubricated. I always wear vinyl gloves when I wash the car which also made it very easy to feel how badly the paint felt, similar to using food wrap to test for contaminants and how much progress I was making with the Nanoskin. After finishing, I rinsed off the car and noted how the water literally just fell off and then dried with a microfiber towel. The end result was spectacular, with what started out as a shiny car was now like glass and my fingers slid over the paint with no effort. I definitely recommend this over clay as well as suggesting anyone who washes their own car make this part of their routine.

One thing I did observe during the process was to be careful not to let the mit stop moving on the paint and to lift it off otherwise it would leave behind residue that needed to be massaged off with some effort.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Clay Products - Shop ~ FREE Delivery on UK MAINLAND Orders over 50.00 GBP ~ ALL Orders Tracked for your added security ~

This is the best clay cloth/mitt product I have ever seen and it looks cheaper than Nanoskin. Not sure why Nanoskin required you to buy the lubricant from them as you can use the normal car wash product that you use to clean the car. I think the USa representative is Killerwaxx

Old 02-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
After seeing it discussed several times on the forum, I finally bought the yellow medium grade Nanoskin AutoScrub mit and a couple of gallons of NanoShock orange lubricant & sealant late last year. This afternoon finally seemed like a nice cool time to get around to this. I have never clayed or waxed the car (I have my own set of theories about detailing) and while the paint looks shiny and new I could see & feel the surface building up with a layer of contaminants not removed from frequent washing. I hand washed the car and then began the surface decontamination process using generous amounts NanoShock (I used a full quart). Process was fairly easy, almost as easy as washing the car with a wash mit as long as the surface remains well lubricated. I always wear vinyl gloves when I wash the car which also made it very easy to feel how badly the paint felt, similar to using food wrap to test for contaminants and how much progress I was making with the Nanoskin. After finishing, I rinsed off the car and noted how the water literally just fell off and then dried with a microfiber towel. The end result was spectacular, with what started out as a shiny car was now like glass and my fingers slid over the paint with no effort. I definitely recommend this over clay as well as suggesting anyone who washes their own car make this part of their routine.

One thing I did observe during the process was to be careful not to let the mit stop moving on the paint and to lift it off otherwise it would leave behind residue that needed to be massaged off with some effort.

Glad you took the advice and bought the NanoSkin product. They have 2 choices the NanoSkin wash mitt and the NanoSkin Sponge which is for smaller areas. These are polymer gloves. The cheaper in price version is the Eagle One Surface Prep Mitt sold at Amazon for about $22.00.

I suggest when using the gloves to use a detergent soap like Dawn which provides a great lubricant and stripping of the old wax and other surfaces products.

Since you completed the decontamination with the glove and you really understand the glass like finish now, I suggest using a nano-ceramic paint coating and ceramic boost product to finish the Jaguar XKR.

The products will provide excellent hydrophobic quality along with superior shine and reflective qualities. Using the ceramic coating will make future hand washing a breeze and quick in time. All you will need is a high-quality waffle weave towel to remove the excess water. A good quality waffle weave towel will hold up to 3 times the amount of water vs a microfiber towel.

All of the products are available via Amazon at a low cost. The towels are washable and reusable as will as the gloves and sponge.

I detail many cars and have a vast amount of experience in doing this, the results are always fantastic when using high-quality products and the overall cost is minimal. It takes a little bit of a person's time to complete the detailing.

Richard in New Mexico

Old 02-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If you are not careful with a lot of lube, the nanoskin can streak the surface, so pay attention! Doing the car with nanoskin takes like 30 minutes.

I wash the car again after the clay/skin portion. Goes quick since it is already "clean".

Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Glad you took the advice and bought the NanoSkin product. They have 2 choices the NanoSkin wash mitt and the NanoSkin Sponge which is for smaller areas. These are polymer gloves. The cheaper in price version is the Eagle One Surface Prep Mitt sold at Amazon for about $22.00.

I suggest when using the gloves to use a detergent soap like Dawn which provides a great lubricant and stripping of the old wax and other surfaces products.

Since you completed the decontamination with the glove and you really understand the glass like finish now, I suggest using a nano-ceramic paint coating and ceramic boost product to finish the Jaguar XKR.

The products will provide excellent hydrophobic quality along with superior shine and reflective qualities. Using the ceramic coating will make future hand washing a breeze and quick in time. All you will need is a high-quality waffle weave towel to remove the excess water. A good quality waffle weave towel will hold up to 3 times the amount of water vs a microfiber towel.

After reading reviews on the Eagle One version, I went with the original. With a coupon I paid around $30

Amazon Amazon

and while the included instructions indicated soap was an adequate lube, I chose to use their polymer lube

Amazon Amazon

which also acted as a sealant, eliminating an extra step in the detailing process. I have looked at ceramic coatings, but have not made a decision either way which I may chose to use.

Last edited by jahummer; 02-07-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

After reading reviews on the Eagle One version, I went with the original. With a coupon I paid around $30

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and while the included instructions indicated soap was an adequate lube, I chose to use their polymer lube

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which also acted as a sealant, eliminating an extra step in the detailing process. I have looked at ceramic coatings, but have not made a decision either way which I may chose to use.
I am very familiar with the Nanoskin products as I use both the Polymer wash mitt and polymer sponge. They are a mainstay of my detailing products and inventory. I also own an Eagle One Surface Prep glove which is the same as the Nanoskin, but has a smaller surface area of polymer built into the glove.

The Nanoskin polymer sealant will last about 6 to 8 months, while a nano ceramic coating will last several years. The ceramic coating durability is quite impressive and adding the ceramic boost increases the result.

I am very familiar with the NanoSkin products as I have a glove and a NanoSkin sponge. If I am doing a detail job for someone, my choice for a polish and paint sealant is the Blackfire Polish & Seal product. The main problem with paint sealants they don't have the durability compared to using a ceramic coating.

I suggest you consider giving this a try.

Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating Kit | Ceramic Paint Coatings

This kit usually goes on sale at 10% to 25% off sale.

Last edited by richzak; 02-07-2017 at 07:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
avern1 (02-08-2017), jahummer (02-07-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Pictures tell 1000 words please post guys

Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Look at the corvette in Rich's sig link. It glows!

Last edited by shemp; 02-08-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Pictures tell 1000 words please post guys
Richard has posted a number of pics of his after detail, perhaps he'll share them here. I did not take any pictures and I think it would be difficult to adequately capture an image of something that looks completely different in person. Just buy the mitt and see for your self, takes little effort and the results are outstanding.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

I noticed on Richards Amazon link there was also a fine and medium mit which one do we want

(Excuse my ignorance I've only ever used the clay bar)

Old 02-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I noticed on Richards Amazon link there was also a fine and medium mit which one do we want

(Excuse my ignorance I've only ever used the clay bar)
I provided a link to the medium grade that I purchased as I believe it to be the most effective. See post #5 above. Reviews for the fine grade indicated it took more effort to clean the paint.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

I provided a link to the medium grade that I purchased as I believe it to be the most effective. See post #5 above. Reviews for the fine grade indicated it took more effort to clean the paint.
JA:

Since you used the medium grade NanoSkin mitt, I would suggest that you only use the fine grade in the future. I realize it is another purchase. If you continue the upkeep on the XKR now that you have gone thru this process, the fine grade is all you will need.

The medium is great for vehicles that have a lot of paint contamination, which can be felt using the simple sandwich baggie test.

Once the vehicle is either "clay barred" or decontaminated with a "medium grade" polymer sponge, the fine grade is all you will need.

I will post a few of images later after I return from my British Car Club meeting tonight of some vehicles I have detailed using my method as posted previously.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
JA:

Since you used the medium grade NanoSkin mitt, I would suggest that you only use the fine grade in the future. I realize it is another purchase. If you continue the upkeep on the XKR now that you have gone thru this process, the fine grade is all you will need.

The medium is great for vehicles that have a lot of paint contamination, which can be felt using the simple sandwich baggie test.

Once the vehicle is either "clay barred" or decontaminated with a "medium grade" polymer sponge, the fine grade is all you will need.

I will post a few of images later after I return from my British Car Club meeting tonight of some vehicles I have detailed using my method as posted previously.

Even though it was still glossy, I have known for some time my paint needed help. When drying the car with a microfiber towel, I could hear the fabric moving across the paint and the surface felt rough when wearing vinyl gloves, similar to the food wrap or baggie test.

Would you suggest the medium grade is too harsh on the paint?

While I am more than pleased with my work and the results, there are a couple of areas that are not perfect and I think doing another pass with the mitt will make it perfect!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Even though it was still glossy, I have known for some time my paint needed help. When drying the car with a microfiber towel, I could hear the fabric moving across the paint and the surface felt rough when wearing vinyl gloves, similar to the food wrap or baggie test.

Would you suggest the medium grade is too harsh on the paint?

While I am more than pleased with my work and the results, there are a couple of areas that are not perfect and I think doing another pass with the mitt will make it perfect!
From my experience using the gloves, I would suggest purchasing the "fine grade" glove for the second time over the paint. I would also suggest the NanoSkin sponge for the smaller areas like around the front grill and rear fascia .

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

These items will last for multiple uses. It is suggested that you can use the gloves up to 4 or 5 times. That may equate to several years.

A good quality polymer paint sealant or ceramic coating will repel many of the surface contaminants that normal fall onto and bond to the surface.

You have a great start already with what you have already done. You just need to take the paint surface detailing to the next level.

The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

Richard has posted a number of pics of his after detail, perhaps he'll share them here. I did not take any pictures and I think it would be difficult to adequately capture an image of something that looks completely different in person. Just buy the mitt and see for your self, takes little effort and the results are outstanding.
Here are a few images of my sports cars and also a few of a Classic British car, a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger V8 that a club member paid me to detail the car with a ceramic coating. The Sunbeam took 6 to 7 hours to complete as well as the other cars.

All of my vehicles and the Sunbeam have been hand washed with Dawn to strip off any oil, tar, etc, and a "polymer fine grade" wash mitt was used. The cars were hand washed again, dried, and then polished with a prep polish. After the prep polish using a DA (dual action) buffer, each car was wiped down with a solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water to remove any polish residue. Then the final step is the application of the nano-ceramic paint coating.

The shine and reflective qualities are easily shown in the images. While the images look great, seeing the vehicles in person is absolutely stunning. I have completed many other vehicles using the same method for many other customers.

1st is my 2015 Corvette C7...2nd is the 1965 Sunbeam Tiger V8

Click the image to enlarge.....click again for full screen.

More to follow in next post.

Attached Thumbnails Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dscn1009.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dscn1017.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dscn1018.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dscn1021.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0003.jpg  

Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0004.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0006.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0009.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0034.jpg  
Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

More images of my 2014 Porsche 981 and 2009 Jaguar XkR which was recently sold.

Once again, both detailed with the same method and a nano-ceramic paint coating applied. The Corvette was detailed with the ceramic coating 2 years ago, and looks the same today, simply stunning in shine, and reflective qualities. I will detail the Corvette again in 12 months.

I used the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating on all of the vehicles. Here's a link to the product. Sold at Autogeek.net and shipped from Stuart, Fl. One bottle will complete about 5 cars.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

I cannot stress the overall quality of using my method and ceramic paint coating for superior results to any fine automobile. You can not realize the quality until you actually use the product.

In addition to the ceramic paint coating, all the glass was polished and ceramic coated using a ceramic "glass coating". Same with the wheels, I used a ceramic "wheel" coating, which really repels brake dust.

After the cars have been "ceramic coated" there is NO need to use any wax product of any kind. These cars have never had any wax product applied to them after the ceramic coating has been applied.

While the detailing project may take a single person 6 to 7 hours to complete, it can be done in steps over a few consecutive days. Just be sure to cover the car after each step, until you move on to the next step. This is a great weekend project or a 2-day weekday project, that provides stunning results for the car owner.

Click the image to enlarge and click again for full screen.

Attached Thumbnails Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0027.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0031.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0038.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0062.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0056.jpg  

Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0057.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0002.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0004.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0011.jpg   Nanoskin detail - WOW!-dsc_0006.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 02-09-2017 at 12:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
elindo (02-22-2017), LoudHogRider (02-09-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Doesn't do it justice but here is a pic of what water does after 3 weeks, still no wax or coatings. Will do one more cleaning then ceramic seal.

Attached Thumbnails Nanoskin detail - WOW!-img_0659.jpg