XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Need help installing the center grill Growler Emblem please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help installing the center grill Growler Emblem please!

So, FINALLY picked up my new to me 2007 XKR last night and LOVE it! (No surprise, of course!)

But, I'd posted earlier that the front emblem wasn't there, in it's place was a matte black 'button', for lack of a better description. When I asked the dealer about it, he said it didn't have the emblem due to the ACC, but, this forum pointed out he was dead wrong, so I purchased one from a local Jag dealer and waited.

When picking up the car last night, I handed him the emblem and when we went out there, he took one look and suggested that I take it into a dealer to have it done, as he wasn't sure how to get the matte black bit off, and didn't want to cause any damage.

Sigh.

So, does one just pop the matte black one off or? The emblem I purchased to install has the double sided tape on there, and two wee posts that should be going through something but....

Help!

New baby!

matte black button on front

Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,765 Likes on 12,154 Posts

katmac,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X150 forum. You've already posted here on this same topic and this is the place for it.

Graham

Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
katmac,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X150 forum. You've already posted here on this same topic and this is the place for it.

Graham
Oh! Much appreciated Graham, wasn't sure where to post

Old 08-23-2016, 08:54 AM

Oh! And, (stupid newbie question I'm sure but..), is there not a 'central' door locks button in the XKR's? Seems a bit odd that I'd have to hit the unlock button on the remote from inside the car to let someone in the passenger side....

Old 08-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Just pull slightly on the driver's side door handle and it will open the passenger side. By the way, nice lookin' car. Same color as mine including the black air vents. Enjoy!

Old 08-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Just pull slightly on the driver's side door handle and it will open the passenger side.....
To expand on this just a bit.... the driver door handle needs to be in the locked/inset position with the door closed for this to work. OR just reach across and pull the passenger-side handle.

The following users liked this post:
katmac (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
To expand on this just a bit.... the driver door handle needs to be in the locked/inset position with the door closed for this to work. OR just reach across and pull the passenger-side handle.

Whoo hoo! Worked like a charm, thanks Cee Jay!

And, thanks Tberg! Apparently, it's the only one in Canada with that color combo

Old 08-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

I think you need to post a better, close up, detailed picture of the center of the grill. From what's posted, I just see a black cavern.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I think you need to post a better, close up, detailed picture of the center of the grill. From what's posted, I just see a black cavern.

Hopefully, that's a bit more helpful

kj07xk (08-25-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, thats better.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 PM

Any thoughts KJ? Looks like it should just be popped off there, but, I don't want to take any chances. The dealer was under the impression that that was the radar for the ACC, so nothing else should be over it but...*scratches head*

Old 08-23-2016, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Interesting as that does not look like the normal grill emblem. It does look like some type of cover. I would wait until others with your year post on what their mount looks like. Does this car have an aftermarket or replacement grill and if so is the original grill behind the black grill.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, it looks like the growler fell off (from some pictures I've seen on the forum, it looks like some growler emblems are on a 'cup' that fits over that plastic knob).

There are some threads that talk about removing the growler, to replace with a new version.

This one says that it should just pry off (carefully):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-badge-122175/

While in this thread, one member was able to get to the backside of the growler emblem and unscrew it from underneath (read the thread carefully, as there is a mix of comments from owners of different model years):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-grill-124141/

Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM
GGG
Received 16,765 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Actually, it looks like the growler fell off ......
+1

Mine is chromed not black like yours but the Jaguar emblem is stuck on the front of that inset piece.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Need help installing the center grill Growler Emblem please!-grille.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 08-23-2016 at 03:00 PM.
kj07xk (08-25-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM

Actually, it looks like the growler fell off (from some pictures I've seen on the forum, it looks like some growler emblems are on a 'cup' that fits over that plastic knob).

There are some threads that talk about removing the growler, to replace with a new version.

This one says that it should just pry off (carefully):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-badge-122175/

While in this thread, one member was able to get to the backside of the growler emblem and unscrew it from underneath (read the thread carefully, as there is a mix of comments from owners of different model years):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-grill-124141/
It's possible, here's what I got from the dealer....

Front

Back - the white paper on here can be pulled back to expose the double sided tape on the back, and those 2 black bits are the posts that must attach to something on the grill itself

And ah HA, just tried to slide my finger nail under the edge of the silver circle, and it does slide through there. Think you might be onto something there KJ, maybe it's just the 'face' of the emblem that's off....

Last edited by katmac; 08-23-2016 at 03:00 PM.
kj07xk (08-25-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Is the outside diameter the same as the inner circle of the front black holder. The 2 plastic tabs are to center the emblem. I don't believe the face fell off. You may try to take a piece of dental floss and slip it behind the the part on your car and try to saw down and if it goes half way the just pry the rest off. Clean the area and stick on the new one. Don't know what on the dealer gave you but there are 2 difference sizes. Measure it.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Is the outside diameter the same as the inner circle of the front black holder. The 2 plastic tabs are to center the emblem. I don't believe the face fell off. You may try to take a piece of dental floss and slip it behind the the part on your car and try to saw down and if it goes half way the just pry the rest off. Clean the area and stick on the new one. Don't know what on the dealer gave you but there are 2 difference sizes. Measure it.
Yes, they're the same size exactly.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Hi Katmac and welcome to the '07 club. It looks like a PO sprayed the grille including the growler and its surround with a heavy black paint. If it is rubber based, you may be able to carefully peel the paint off the areas you want to be bright.

Attached Thumbnails Need help installing the center grill Growler Emblem please!-xkr13.jpg  
kj07xk (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^^I agree, looks like someone painted over it and the grill.

Fishing line, or a plastic spreader will get behind it.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 PM

Ahh, so the grill should be silver then? I don't think it's been sprayed over (the emblem I mean), it's perfectly smooth...looks like the emblem part itself may have been taken off...I do have the replacement ready to go on, just need to figure out a way to pop that thing off and have the proper one put in it's place.

Must say, very disappointed with this 'dealer'

Quick Reply: Need help installing the center grill Growler Emblem please!