XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New jag xk owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New jag xk owner

I am Steve, from Canton, Ct, we are picking up a 2013 XK as soon as the weather clears up here. The car came from Long Island, NY with 22,900 miles.
I have read about the battery problems and tenders. I will be installing one as soon as we get the car. CTEK seems to be recommended, but which model ??
The dealer is installing a new battery for us, as the car would not start when we wanted to test drive!!!! (top was down !)
Might using a tender be a false sense of security? We are planning on a two week trip late June, and plugging in every night might not be possible.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK52TD
I am Steve, from Canton, Ct, we are picking up a 2013 XK as soon as the weather clears up here. The car came from Long Island, NY with 22,900 miles.
I have read about the battery problems and tenders. I will be installing one as soon as we get the car. CTEK seems to be recommended, but which model ??
The dealer is installing a new battery for us, as the car would not start when we wanted to test drive!!!! (top was down !)
Might using a tender be a false sense of security? We are planning on a two week trip late June, and plugging in every night might not be possible.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Welcome to the group and congratulations on the car. If it were me I want to make sure that everything works after the new battery is installed. If you can't be at the dealer then have them take a fast video of starting the car and putting the top up along with verifying all other features work. Anything that doesn't should be corrected before you pick up the car. Also if they are a dealer then they should keep the car on a smart charger while they have it even with a new battery. As for the Ctek it seems that the 4.3 amp unit is the latest to have. As for your trip you should not have a problem without having a charger on it as you are driving the car and not letting it sit for a month. As others have said just make sure you lock the car after every drive and at night where ever it is even in your garage. Have fun and enjoy.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

A lot of people rave about the AGM style batteries. I would go with one of them if it's not too late. I never had problem with the battery if the car is locked and driven at least ever 4-5 days. CTEK dongle can hide of pop out of spare tire panel. Car will start after months on a CTEK like you left the car for a long weekend.

You may want to consider a brake fluid flush even if you got to pay out of pocket...

Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Suggest you buy the following:

CTEK MUS 4.3

CTEK Comfort Extension Cord (Plug & Play)

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

You will not be disappointed in any way.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

You can use any 12v.model of the CTEK range. They all do the same thing; I have used both the cheapest and the most expensive, both with perfect results. Using the CTEK maintainer does not give a false sense of security - it merely makes sure your battery is at optimum charge level and that therefore the electronic modules on your XK will operate as designed. You need not worry about using your XK on a trip without the CTEK. The driving itself will keep the battery (assuming it is good) at proper charge. The electrical problems come on cars used infrequently and/or used for short trips. The battery eventually loses sufficient charge to keep the XK modules happy. And, for the record, this is not a "Jaguar problem". All the premium automobile manufacturers recognize this concern and all of them market chargers (the CTEK units!) self branded.
You will LOVE your XK. Do check the forum for questions related to the 5 litre engine.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Welcome aboard you are in for some good times. sov211 is absolutely accurate in his comments above. I a remote top opener device installed in my vert and I highly recommend it, particularly with the rear window control accessory. The modules are made and marketed by the Jag Wrangler, he is a member of this forum, makes an excellent product and is a good guy. his handle on the forum is white xkr and his website is TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I only use the Ctek if I am away for more than 5 days or occasionally in the Winter when the touch screen stays on the Jaguar Home Screen. The car will always start so you wont get let down imo

Old 03-22-2017, 07:23 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't be paranoid over battery and electrical issues. As mentioned above you only get issues if car is used infrequently or you have an old or faulty battery.

Odd issues that occur and mentioned on here are mostly suggested that the battery is the problem.

Just for an instance my 2006 XK convertible that I have owned for 4 years and I do not use a battery changer or conditioner has never had an issue.

It is used probably 2 - 3 times a week to go the golf club which is a 25 mile round trip.
It is kept on my drive with a half cover. I do not know how old the battery is.
I go on 2- 3 week holidays and the car always starts when I return.

This type of car is often used infrequently so if that will be the case then a maintainer is recommended. But if used daily or a few times a week and not just a short trip down the road and you have a new battery then don't worry about it and just enjoy owning and driving it.

Just be aware that if you start getting obscure and odd ball messages then reflect on your usage and there is a good chance that it could be the battery

Enjoy

Old 03-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I sure appreciate all of the info, I'll order one when i pickup the car. I have looked around this site, and its seems like to be very informative for all things Jaguar !
Are there many members or events in the Ct region?

Steve​​​​​​

Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

A few details to look at when picking up your car. Make sure the convertible top works perfect when opening and closing and that the windows open and close properly as well. Also make sure the seats recline as far back as they should and that all seat functions work perfect too. Also check all the steering wheel buttons and the touch screen [heated seats, nav, radio, connect your cell phone...etc]. '

Let us know how it all works out.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK52TD
I sure appreciate all of the info, I'll order one when i pickup the car. I have looked around this site, and its seems like to be very informative for all things Jaguar !
Are there many members or events in the Ct region?

Steve​​​​​​
Funny thing , because of the uniqueness of the XK there are usually not to many people in rural areas that have them. I remember when I bought my Ferrari I thought there were far and few between owners. Well I found out that there were 10 in my local county and 4 of them were in my town of 9,000 people. Now with the XK after 2 years of ownership I know of 3 in the county and none in my town. I asked my insurance agent to check their system to see how many are registered in the area. I would suggest you check with your state Jaguar Club and see where they meet.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
A few details to look at when picking up your car. Make sure the convertible top works perfect when opening and closing and that the windows open and close properly as well. Also make sure the seats recline as far back as they should and that all seat functions work perfect too. Also check all the steering wheel buttons and the touch screen [heated seats, nav, radio, connect your cell phone...etc]. '
All good advice, but be aware that if the existing battery is not at full charge, putting out full voltage, any and every one of the systems mentioned, plus random warning lights, can fail to work or work improperly. In other words you cannot assess any electrical system on the car until you have verified the battery condition. The mantra for XK issues is "battery, battery, battery..."