Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New XK owner here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New XK owner here!

Just picked up a 2010 XK.

I have read ALOT on this forum before taking the plunge.

My good buddy is a Jag tech at our local dealership and checked it out for me before my purchase.

I did get a 4 year extended warranty just in case.

Any advice or suggestions of things to do, look at, modify etc.... will be greatly appreciated.

I will post pictures as soon as it stops raining!!! Ugh.... Bought it and got to drive it one day before the storms rolled in.

A little ticked because my dealer sent me home with a dead battery...it probably didn't give me problems with the test drives because I didn't run the heater, headlights, and stereo. I am hoping it will hold the charge I put on it. It did say fully charged with my trickle charger after 12 hours. Did a 2 amp charge. Suggestions besides calling the dealer and giving them hell?

Old 01-18-2017, 03:59 PM

38,000 miles for $26,900 plus TTL... Cause I know someone is going to ask.

Black on Black

Old 01-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Since you've stated that you've "read a lot" on this forum, you really should be ready to buy a new battery. If it was DEAD, a trickle charger won't charge it in 12 hours. A full-size 8 amp charger won't even do that. It would take over 24 hours on an 8 amp at least.
Plus, you would probably do well to buy a battery maintainer and forego the trickle charger. Big difference there.
Anyway, welcome!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
BonnerBB (01-18-2017), Sean W (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 04:23 PM

I guess that it wasn't dead then. Perhaps just low. To clarify, I have a 2-4-6 amp Schumacher charger in addition to a 2 amp battery tender. I charged it on a 4 amp setting for about 6 hours then transfer it to the 2 hour battery tender to finish it off. They both showed it to be charged in the morning.

So after what you said, maybe just a LOW battery since it had been sitting on the dealerships lot.

The car would start, it was just giving me dynamic stability fault and died twice on me. After charging the battery, the error went away. It hasn't died because I don't want to test it out in the rain.

I am prepared to buy a battery if I can't squeeze one out of the dealer.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:27 PM

Pardon me.... That was the Adaptive Dynamic Fault that I got. I can't figure out how to edit my previous post.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Good luck and enjoy your ride. Try putting a meter on your battery at rest and see what your voltage is . If under 12V you have a problem and will most likely need a battery.

The following users liked this post:
BonnerBB (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Welcome, you will love your Jaguar XK.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Welcome aboard. Lots of happy drives ahead.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 PM

See next post...

Last edited by BonnerBB; 01-18-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:26 PM

Thanks everyone! It's still raining here so it's stuck in the garage. It was freshly detailed so we're just letting it sit in the garage.

Here is a battery test.. I think I am alright with these numbers. Correct me if I am wrong.

http://youtu.be/JcWhuMjfiBw

Last edited by BonnerBB; 01-18-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 01-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Looks like your numbers are spot on.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Improving The Sound!

I had a stock 2009 XK and wanted my exhaust to have a little more rumble and sound throatier - but I didn't want it to be obnoxious or 'race-track' loud like so many of the aftermarket exhausts. Then I read on the Jag Forum that by removing the rear muffler (aka 'back box') from my XK and replacing it with the 'back box' from an XKR, it would really improve my XK's exhaust sound. Fortunately, a friend of mine recently replaced the entire exhaust on his XKR and gave me his back box, which a local muffler shop charged me $55 to install onto my XK and it only took them a half hour. The sound is now fabulous - throaty, with a slight muscle-car rumble … and the quad exhaust tips look amazing! It has totally enhanced my owning and driving enjoyment! There are guys on the Forum from time to time who have a back box from an XKR for sale. That’s the first improvement I’d make if I was you! Note: Since the XKR back box has 4 exhaust tips instead of 2 like an XK, I also needed the XKR rear valance which was an easy and cheap item to buy (part # C2P8245 from Parts.com for $35 plus $10 shipping). Good luck!

Old 01-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Welcome and congratulations, you'll really enjoy this car. We're "enjoying" the same rainstorm here in L.A. as well, but I drive mine rain or shine. Have fun.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by BonnerBB
Just picked up a 2010 XK.

I have read ALOT on this forum before taking the plunge.

My good buddy is a Jag tech at our local dealership and checked it out for me before my purchase.

I did get a 4 year extended warranty just in case.

Any advice or suggestions of things to do, look at, modify etc.... will be greatly appreciated.

I will post pictures as soon as it stops raining!!! Ugh.... Bought it and got to drive it one day before the storms rolled in.

A little ticked because my dealer sent me home with a dead battery...it probably didn't give me problems with the test drives because I didn't run the heater, headlights, and stereo. I am hoping it will hold the charge I put on it. It did say fully charged with my trickle charger after 12 hours. Did a 2 amp charge. Suggestions besides calling the dealer and giving them hell?
My advice is to read your "4 year extended warranty" closely, so you know exactly what you bought. Even if it was sold to you by your Jaguar dealer on a document with the Jaguar logo, I think you'll find that it is not a warranty from the manufacturer, Jaguar, but instead it's an extended service contract from a third party insurance company with an "Administrator" who decides what's covered or not. Pay particular attention to the exclusions from coverage and any vague or ambiguous language that can enable the Administrator to "weasel out" of paying. Your best advocate is your dealer, who is in a position to determine why the Administrator is wrong and should pay.

Good luck with your new baby and hope you enjoy it for many years! Also, +1 on the battery maintainer - the best bang for the buck to prevent electrical gremlins. And always lock the doors, even when parked in your garage, to shut off convenience mode. And use caution with the exhilarator pedal, as it is known to attract blue lights!

Stuart

Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bonner. You will have extreme fun in your new ride. I too have a friend who is a dealer tech, he has been extremely helpful with both of my Jags. BTW, who is your dealer? also there are several of us X150 drivers in the Houston area, perhaps we should get together for lunch sometime.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

1) Get a bafx obdii reader, and the Torque app for your phone or tablet.
2) Get a battery tender
3) Get some leather conditioner.
4) If you live in a snowy area, or like to hike in mud : get these
5) Don't get into an accident... aluminium is expensive to repair.
6) Lean to use words like "Bonnet", "Boot" and "Chap" (j/k)
7) Only put the correct oil in the 5.0 engine ( 5W-20 that meets Spec M2C925-A )
8) Check the version of the map dvd in the car... there have been updates since your car came out.
9) This forum is a great resource. You can also visit JaguarForum.com and Pistonheads
10) Enjoy the car!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome gentleman and all the great advice.

Thanks Ralph for looking at my numbers in the video above.

Snide72, thanks for the suggestion. My XK is a 2010 so the part numbers are going to be different. Is item #8 what I will need at this link? https://goo.gl/Mc0qvE

Stuart, I researched the Warranty. It is a CNA and it cost me a pretty penny. I want to be as forthcoming with information as I can so you guys know what is available out there and what I paid for it. I paid $1775/yr for a total of $7100. That is ALOT in my opinion for any car but after reading on here about the expense of repairs, I went for the longest and best one possible. CNA also has a gaurantee extension at the end of the four years which the factory Jaguar Extended Branded Warranty (what ever it is) did not offer a guarantee of an extension. For what it was worth, I saw value in that... Also, I spoke to my Jag Tech friend about which one to choose and he said CNA was much faster about approving repairs which gets my car out of the shop faster and less headache bickering over coverage.

JackJohn, considering you are from Richmond, I can assume your friend and my friend are one in the same. Bill? Absolutely would love to meet some other XK drivers in Houston and am up for lunch. I live in Fulshear so we should do Bob's Tacos in Rosenberg sometime on a pretty day in the Jags.

SeanU, thanks for the the list. I already have a battery tender in addition to a Schumacher. The dash was already replaced by the previous owner, it was in the service history in addition to the DUCK BILL valve that causes the AC drainage problem. I will make sure to keep in mind to condition that new dash, thanks. I have a 06 Jeep LJ for tracking through the mud and do have weather techs in it. LOL, I watched enough Top Gear to know about the Bonnet and Boot. I will check the DVD, that would have come up eventually when my wife gets lost because it has missing roads. Unfortunatly, I haven't gotten to drive it much because it is too clean from the dealers detail to go trouncing through the rain, just yet!

Wow... I was unaware that JaguarForum was different from Forums.... Ya'll have been so nice in this forum so far, I will check them out when ya'll ban me from this one. Which of the three are the most active??

Last edited by BonnerBB; 01-19-2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Closest picture I could find close to mine. Minus the silver side vents...it is identical. Same wheels and colors. The photos I took of it in the garage pretty much suck. Actually, I take that back, that is pre 2010 but you get the idea.

Last edited by BonnerBB; 01-19-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
V6 JDT (02-01-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Sean,

I'd like to suggest that you start a new thread "My CNA Extended Service Contract Experience" and include your comments from your post #17, above. A separate thread on that subject will be easier to search and find, and will be especially helpful to Forum members if you will update it annually or whenever you have a claim.

Thanks.

Stuart

P.S. It is normal for new XKR owners to look in their garage before going to sleep. Pleasant dreams!

ralphwg (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Stuart, did you suggest that Sean create a separate thread because you know he has had a bad experience with CNA?