Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New XK owner here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by BonnerBB
Stuart, did you suggest that Sean create a separate thread because you know he has had a bad experience with CNA?
Oops. My mistake. I should have addressed my suggestion to you, not Sean. I know nothing about him or his car, or anyone's experience with CNA, but do know from this thread that you just bought a 2010 XK and CNA extended service contract. Your experience with CNA will be helpful and most appreciated.

Sorry again about my mistake and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No problem. Will do the first time I use it.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Congrats on your new ride, you will love it!

For the CNA contract do you have the exclusion list? I am always interested in what is shown that will not be covered. Did you also get the tire coverage with that policy or just the vehicle?

Certainly $7100 is expensive but inline with what I have seen for other 500hp high dollar cars.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:42 PM

I just ran out of town for the weekend but if you guys will remind me next week I'll be happy to scan it and upload it.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
Congrats on your new ride, you will love it!

For the CNA contract do you have the exclusion list? I am always interested in what is shown that will not be covered. Did you also get the tire coverage with that policy or just the vehicle?

Certainly $7100 is expensive but inline with what I have seen for other 500hp high dollar cars.
This post is not meant to demean the buyer of the policy. Actually, the $7100 price is outrageous. Just because the Jaguar might be 500HP has nothing to do with the price of the warranty. I am sure the dealer selling the warranty made a huge profit. The markups on these policies are very steep.

My 2015 Corvette C7 was a $65,000 vehicle and the extended warranty was $1285. The Corvette is 485 HP.

The key to any extended warranty is the coverage, exclusions, and deductibles.

I am sure the policy provides the owner the right to cancel within a reasonable period of time (usually 30 days) as most extended warranties have a 30 exclusion before the policy begins. In addition, the policy should be transferable to any new owner of the vehicle if sold and should be pro-rated if canceled.

The policies are always a "buyer beware" purchase. While the sales pitch is strong and can be misleading to the consumer, the purchaser must complete his due diligence on these policies and fully understand what they are buying before signing.

I hope the buyer is well covered and if needed finds the warranty a good purchase. Time will tell.

I wish him the best going forward.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps I should've been more explicit in my comments, I didn't mean all 500 hp cars. Certainly there are plenty of 500 hp Camaros or hellcats or jeeps or mustang or whatever out there that wouldn't cost this much to cover.

What I typed didn't quite match what was in my mind, whenever I've seen someone post for a BMW M6 or Mercedes AMG that are hundred thousand dollar high horsepower variants the extended coverage it is in that price range. Perhaps it is valid, or perhaps it is a lot of markup because of the premium car status.

​​​

Old 01-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default 2010 XKR Rear Valance?

In reference to ... Snide72, thanks for the suggestion. My XK is a 2010 so the part numbers are going to be different. Is item #8 what I will need at this link? https://goo.gl/Mc0qvE.

I'm no authority but I'd be amazed if a 2009 XKR rear exhaust valance that accommodates 4 exhaust tips is any different from a 2010 XKR rear exhaust valance. I ordered mine from Parts.com last June and it was part #C2P8245 which they called a "lower extension with supercharger" and their price was $34.74. What your search shows is part # C2P16656 at a cost of $180.36. That doesn't seem right to me. Maybe someone on the forum can help us out.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome gentleman and all the great advice.

JackJohn, considering you are from Richmond, I can assume your friend and my friend are one in the same. Bill? Absolutely would love to meet some other XK drivers in Houston and am up for lunch. I live in Fulshear so we should do Bob's Tacos in Rosenberg sometime on a pretty day in the Jags.
Bonner, as I am retired, I am usually available for tacos at Bob's. Yes, Bill is a good friend.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:17 PM

Tampamark and Rickzak,

Please note that the $7100 warranty was for 4 years 48k miles. Whoever mentioned their Corvette contract didn't mention the number of years and mileage covered.

Here is the CNA Warranty brochure. Exclusions are in the upper right hand corner of the document.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfk55vprdk...ranty.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by BonnerBB; 01-25-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

38,000 miles for $26,900 plus TTL... Cause I know someone is going to ask.

Black on Black
Is your car a "R"? If so that's a fantastic price. Here in L.A. they go for at least $35k.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:50 AM

No. Not an R and so no it is not 500hp...as suggested above. It's a 2010 385hp 5.0 liter.

Last edited by BonnerBB; 01-26-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

No. Not an R and so no it is not 500hp...as suggested above. It's a 2010 385hp 5.0 liter.
Price is about right for a 2010 XK.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Tampamark and Rickzak,

Please note that the $7100 warranty was for 4 years 48k miles. Whoever mentioned their Corvette contract didn't mention the number of years and mileage covered.

Here is the CNA Warranty brochure. Exclusions are in the upper right hand corner of the document.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfk55vprdk...ranty.pdf?dl=0
My Corvette currently has 4700 miles, a 2015 model. OEM warranty expires in 1 year from now. Cost was $1285 and takes the warranty out 5 years from today and up to 56,005 miles. The extended warranty expires Jan 2, 2022.

Warranty is a GMPP and is logged into all GM dealerships as a matter of record. The deductible is $100. It is the top of the line extended warranty called GMPP Major Guard.

The price of your policy at $7100 was extremely excessive and there is a high possibility that you will never use it. Your policy has lots of exclusions which are normal.

The deal is done, so your only recourse is to cancel the policy and get a pro-rated refund.

The policy may pay off however if this car is a daily driver and you plan to put a lot of mileage on the vehicle up to the limit of the contract.

Last edited by richzak; 01-26-2017 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tampamark (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I think richzak has a point there. What could go wrong on a late model car that would cost $1775/year to repair? The air struts cost 2k if you shop around, same for a rebuilt transmission....but those are the problems to worry about if you intend to keep the car for a LONG time, beyond 100k mi. Do change the tranny fluid regularly.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride. I hope to find this red XKR coupe someday...

Old 01-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Two things at play here, was the price fair and is the coverage worth the cost. On the former he would need to invite quotes from other like coverage plans to know, certainly a 7 year old car being covered until it is 11 years old is a risk to the insurance company. As to the latter I would not have bought that coverage package, I don't see how the OP can come out ahead on that one with that much being spent. I agree with Rich 100% in that if the OP was asking whether he should buy this coverage my answer would be NO. He is not, so here we are!

You cannot compare a coverage package bought on a car that is 7 years old and out of warranty to one that is bought while the car is under factory warranty. The insurance providers decide the cost on several factors and they make a major difference in the overall cost. The more miles the higher the price, the older the vehicle the more cost, and if you buy a coverage while still under factory warranty it is significantly less money. Not to mention all the other factors, foreign car, expensive parts, etc.

When I bought my coverage plan for my previous Boxster the price between purchase while under factory warranty as opposed to after was thousands. I suppose they predicate this differential on the fact that piggybacking coverage on a fully warrantied car guarantees that you don't inherit any problems.

Good news on this plan is that some common items are covered; AC compressor, water pump, alternator. Others that like crossover pipe do not look like it would be covered so don't be surprised if it goes bad and gets denied!

Old 01-26-2017, 03:17 PM

We all know that $7100, 4 year, 48k warranty is a financial risk but we also know not having it is one too in a Jag in particular as they are very expensive to repair.

Driving a brand new toy off the show room floor has guaranteed extremely excessive depreciation as soon as you drive off the lot and I wouldn't do it. To each his own...

We both bought them for the same reason, for the driving enjoyment. I will accept that I will most likely eat it financially when I sell it and I am ok with that but no where near what a 2015 Vette owner will lose. I can pick up a 2015 Vette for about $45k around my neck of the woods with less than 10k miles. If you paid $65k, that is 20k loss in 2 years... Ouch! Autotrader: https://goo.gl/f5ejV6

I know I will get at least 3 years out of it now with the warranty and will have a year to spare to transfer to the new owner that will make it a lot easier to sell when and if I do.

The previous owner spent $3300 for the dash to be replaced in this vehicle...that kind of sealed the deal for me on whether to fork up the cash for the warranty or not. I read plenty of stories about major repairs on this forum where folks wish it had happened while under warranty and everyone said....you should have bought one.

Last edited by BonnerBB; 01-26-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

Bottom line is you paid for peace of mind up front. I did the same with my car when I negotiated the extended warranty into the price. Ultimately, you got a car you will love with a warranty similar to a new car's for a total price that's a third of what the car cost new. Just enjoy the ride .

We all know that $7100, 4 year, 48k warranty is a financial risk but we also know not having it is one too in a Jag in particular as they are very expensive to repair.

Driving a brand new toy off the show room floor has guaranteed extremely excessive depreciation as soon as you drive off the lot and I wouldn't do it. To each his own...

We both bought them for the same reason, for the driving enjoyment. I will accept that I will most likely eat it financially when I sell it and I am ok with that but no where near what a 2015 Vette owner will lose. I can pick up a 2015 Vette for about $45k around my neck of the woods with less than 10k miles. If you paid $65k, that is 20k loss in 2 years... Ouch! Autotrader: https://goo.gl/f5ejV6

I know I will get at least 3 years out of it now with the warranty and will have a year to spare to transfer to the new owner that will make it a lot easier to sell when and if I do.

The previous owner spent $3300 for the dash to be replaced in this vehicle...that kind of sealed the deal for me on whether to fork up the cash for the warranty or not. I read plenty of stories about major repairs on this forum where folks wish it had happened while under warranty and everyone said....you should have bought one.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Default Water Pump

Took the Jag in for some brake pads that the pre-owned department owed me and a little paint touch up.

Told them to check out the coolant smell while they had it back there.

I had already read about the water pump issues for the 5.0 motor and the issues they have had with failure...so I was aware of what they might tell me.

They are putting a new water pump in for me at their expense. My warranty I purchased doesn't kick in for 1000 miles and 30 days so using it was not an option and they didn't want to risk me driving it for another two weeks so they opted to just take care of it. Only owned this pre-owned 2010 XK for 14 days so I think that them paying for this is a pretty nice gesture on their part.

Have others had good or bad experience with Momentum Jaguar in Houston?

Last edited by BonnerBB; 01-31-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Took the Jag in for some brake pads that the pre-owned department owed me and a little paint touch up.

Told them to check out the coolant smell while they had it back there.

I had already read about the water pump issues for the 5.0 motor and the issues they have had with failure...so I was aware of what they might tell me.

They are putting a new water pump in for me at their expense. My warranty I purchased doesn't kick in for 1000 miles and 30 days so using it was not an option and they didn't want to risk me driving it for another two weeks so they opted to just take care of it. Only owned this pre-owned 2010 XK for 14 days so I think that them paying for this is a pretty nice gesture on their part.

Have others had good or bad experience with Momentum Jaguar in Houston?
Never been to Houston, but yes I agree that was a stand up thing to do.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Going to Houston for the opera in May. What's the weather like and any downtown restaurant recommendations? Thanks,