XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Now It's Over!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Didn't you get the "Gorgeous" campaign in the US? They seemed to be constantly on TV here in NZ in around 2007:
Never in my life have I ever seen that clip. Not even one close to it.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I never saw the gorgeous clip either.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Damn, had I read that before buying I might not have. I tried to buy an XKR from a south Florida dealer, only to be insulted and put off by the hipster sales person (who I might add, no longer works at this dealer). Instead, I bought at another south Florida dealer. No real problem except the first dealer is literally next door to where I work and the other is not in any way convenient.
Over the holidays I was introduced to the head of sales at the local dealer and I told him my story, of how I was buying and was turned away. Since I already have a car, he insisted I bring it to them for a service check, to which I agreed as there are a few issues, one of which (poor radio reception) the other dealer cannot seem to rectify. I brought the car to them on Thursday, they gave me a loaner, and on their own, with my approval, replaced all the soft touch controls, and all under warranty. They are also replacing the steering column internals to relieve the slight but inevitably worsening crunching, addressing the radio, looking for a squeak form the brakes, a squeak from the seat, and lastly addressing the right-hand mirror refusal to dip when in reverse. And all under warranty. They called me with an update today, and to inform me the car would not be ready till next week, which is not an issue. I'll just use their relatively new XE for the weekend.
My guess is they see a Jaguar buyer and are probably assuming it's in their interest not just to keep me in the corporate family but to keep me in the dealership family as well.

I wish this were indicative of all my dealership experiences. It is not. But it will have me returning to this dealership as the needs arise, or if and when an XKR replacement hits the showroom floor.

Last edited by buddhaboy; 01-06-2017 at 09:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by buddhaboy:
ralphwg (01-07-2017), Simon Tan (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
I brought the car to them on Thursday, they gave me a loaner, and on their own, with my approval, replaced all the soft touch controls, and all under warranty.
Wow that sounds like an amazing dealer!

That's the one pet peeve I have about my car. The "Dynamic Mode" button and a couple others on the center console are all gunky to the touch and have fingernail gouges from the previous owner, and I've been wondering if it's possible to replace just the buttons. It was my understanding though that it would be prohibitively expensive because you have to replace the entire assembly housing the buttons. Can you share which controls got replaced on your car? I bought my car from out of state and have yet to take it in for service, but hopefully the local dealer is something like yours.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Didn't you get the "Gorgeous" campaign in the US? They seemed to be constantly on TV here in NZ in around 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UBRm23qPhI

I remember that commercial. They played it a lot here as well. Not sure why some folks here never saw it.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Never remember seeing it here in the NY area.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Don't recall seeing it in Illinois either, but then since ~2001 I haven't watched 'live' TV, everything's prerecorded on DVR and I fast-forward through commercials. Having watched this one now in 'real' time, it wouldn't have caught my attention if it were moving at a fast-forward pace.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I thought it was Ford that turned Jaguar around........... The pre-Ford days were spotty quality at best, and then came Ford and we have the near bullet-proof reliability that we have now, other than a few nitnoid things here and there. I believe TATA has promoted the brand better, however. How many television commercials touted Jaguar while in Ford's hands? I can't remember many... if any at all. Can't sell a product that nobody knows exists.
Pre Ford days were most definitely spotty. And Tata reported record sales of 583000 vehicles in 2016 which I think may be double the previous year.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 PM

"Wow that sounds like an amazing dealer!

That's the one pet peeve I have about my car. The "Dynamic Mode" button and a couple others on the center console are all gunky to the touch and have fingernail gouges from the previous owner, and I've been wondering if it's possible to replace just the buttons. It was my understanding though that it would be prohibitively expensive because you have to replace the entire assembly housing the buttons. Can you share which controls got replaced on your car? I bought my car from out of state and have yet to take it in for service, but hopefully the local dealer is something like yours."

I get the car tomorrow. Apparently Jaguar changed the spec on the steering column bolts so they all get replaced instead of reused. I thought that was interesting since my 30 year old BMW recommended the same thing. My understanding is they were replacing all the buttons since the service manager listed them all. The steering wheel controls were done by the dealer I purchased the car from under the original warranty. I had called Jaguar USA about this and they told me it's a warranty fix for XJ's but for XK's it's considered a wear item, which I thought was odd. I'm guessing it's up to the dealer, and this particular dealer, Alpine in Fort Lauderdale, is one of if not the largest by volume dealer in the country. It's a 2013 with the CPO and the original warranty juts expired in December. Don't know if this helps or not.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 PM

Since this thread began life as a dealer rant I thought I'd provide a follow up to my own experience about dealers, sticky buttons and other assorted flaws. I got the girl back today. Most of the sticky buttons were replaced, and under warranty, except for the AC/Audio set which I was told were on back order, not just for me but for seven others as well. I was told when they come in it's a 10 minute job to replace, and one I could easily wait for in their rather plush lounge.
The **** poor radio reception the original dealer couldn't seem to correct is caused by the coax not being connected to the antenna, which has the wrong connector, which this dealer verified by taking apart another XK and checking what it should be. And they then contacted the original dealer's service manager, and explained that since this should have been addressed during the CPO prep that they would have to fix. Which they have agreed to as well as address the squeaking brakes, which this dealer did not hear when I rode with the service manager, but they stayed with it until the offending sounds reappeared. As the service manager explained to me, if I say I hear a sound they are inclined to believe me, and even better, that a $100,000 car shouldn't be making the wrong sounds. I loved hearing that from the dealer and not me.
Steering column binding noises are gone thanks to new stuff all around. right side mirror dips again and the car was detailed to perfection.

Takeaway? Many dealers are just ****. Maybe even most. But had I approached this dealer with that as my expectation I may have missed what I believe a Jaguar experience should be.

peace out

The following 4 users liked this post by buddhaboy:
Cee Jay (01-11-2017), Datsports (01-31-2017), JagV8 (01-11-2017), ralphwg (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jima
Ford certainly brought them back from the brink, no doubt there, but essentially kept them on a life-support machine. Tata have them off the machine and flourishing. You would never have the F-Type under Ford ownership, for example.
i understand why when i looked at an F type i thought about my daughter, its tailored for small indians.
that F type lacks 30 inches in lenght and wide...
Ford has done well but in 2004 the 4 shocks air suspension designed by callun on the xj really sucks...

Last edited by jagxk2008; 01-11-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If if anyone wants to find the complete story ask Miah Bradbury at Jaguar of Huntington.

I loved the car. Research will show battery went dead numerous times on first owner. Jag and dealer ignored issue and offered car to me as CPO.

I did not ignore recommendations to put car on a charger. I accepted them as a legitimate work around. However I was not one to leave the car idle for long periods.
Right now I'm looking at 2013 XKRs with NO prior electrical issues as a replacement. Had dealer even offered a workable solution I would have one already.

This is not a disgruntled owner but one that believes a company has a legal and moral obligation to fix what it makes.

Sorry some will go to great lengths to discredit consumer and blindly back Jaguar corporate and its dealers.

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Before everybody on this thread climbs all over Jaguar NA and the dealer, remember you are only reading about that part of one side of the issue that the op wants you to know. My guess is we are only getting some small fraction of one side of the story.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JaysXK
If if anyone wants to find the complete story ask Miah Bradbury at Jaguar of Huntington.

I loved the car. Research will show battery went dead numerous times on first owner. Jag and dealer ignored issue and offered car to me as CPO.

I did not ignore recommendations to put car on a charger. I accepted them as a legitimate work around. However I was not one to leave the car idle for long periods.
Right now I'm looking at 2013 XKRs with NO prior electrical issues as a replacement. Had dealer even offered a workable solution I would have one already.

This is not a disgruntled owner but one that believes a company has a legal and moral obligation to fix what it makes.

Sorry some will go to great lengths to discredit consumer and blindly back Jaguar corporate and its dealers.
You should have all of the service records then and it would be beneficial to post those on this thread. Most of us have each others backs, but we have to take comments at face value when there is no input from the other side of a two sided argument.

Records go a long way to giving the forum insight into your problem and helping others avoid it. If there is anything that can be gleaned from the service records, post them. The service records will show how long the dealer had the vehicle each time, what they attempted (which is the true benefit of the post).

Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Sorry to disagree with you Sean, but do you think that JaysXK is just making the whole story up? (while loving the car so much that he's still looking for a replacement of the same model). He doesn't need to prove anything to us, he's simply informing the forum of his terrible experience, somethng that's been done hundreds of times across every model in the current or past lineups. It's not a regular occurance, nevertheless a window into how a car company handles an adverse situation.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
rfr66 (01-29-2017), Sean W (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sean,

Appreciate the response. Unfortunately Dealer mentioned Would not release ANY records prior to my ownership. I had seen just one service record from prior owner on purchase day that mentioned "battery died again."
I believe revealing previous records was something dealer wanted to avoid in the worst way. That is why they reached settlement.
As far as helping forum members with a 100 pages of records I really don't see a great service. The battery's repeated deaths was followed by attempts to locate source of drain but no satisfactory answer.
If some members choose not to believe this story for whatever reason that is fine with me. I shared it not to get 100 percent agreement but to let others beware of issues of this specific car.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Sorry to disagree with you Sean, but do you think that JaysXK is just making the whole story up? (while loving the car so much that he's still looking for a replacement of the same model). He doesn't need to prove anything to us, he's simply informing the forum of his terrible experience, somethng that's been done hundreds of times across every model in the current or past lineups. It's not a regular occurance, nevertheless a window into how a car company handles an adverse situation.
point taken

The following users liked this post:
tberg (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Sean,

Appreciate the response. Unfortunately Dealer mentioned Would not release ANY records prior to my ownership. I had seen just one service record from prior owner on purchase day that mentioned "battery died again."
I believe revealing previous records was something dealer wanted to avoid in the worst way. That is why they reached settlement.
As far as helping forum members with a 100 pages of records I really don't see a great service. The battery's repeated deaths was followed by attempts to locate source of drain but no satisfactory answer.
If some members choose not to believe this story for whatever reason that is fine with me. I shared it not to get 100 percent agreement but to let others beware of issues of this specific car.
understood and point taken

Old 01-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Yes, previous owner history is often withheld at dealer discretion. But I think what Sean was asking, and I agree, is if the records for what steps the dealer took to attempt to rectify the battery drain issue (module updates/replacements, diagnostics, etc) could be posted here for others to see the specifics of where the dealer failed. From your other posts, it sounds like the dealer had your car for an extended period of time. If I understand you correctly however the dealer did not document their repair attempts?

Old 01-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Believe it or not I have the exact same problem as you and at the same dealer. My car has been at Huntington Jaguar for the last 6 months. They are trying to find the cause of an electrical drain which is killing the battery after only 1 year. It's on the third battery now. I tried the Ctek. Although topping off the battery temporarily got rid of the gremlins it would come right back after driving for a short while. The first few months they didn't believe me saying their tests showed no problem with the battery. They had refused to call in a Jaguar tech to help. Jaguar corporate just went along with what the dealer said that there was no problem and told me to pick up my car. I showed the service manager one of the glitches which was that the windows would not go all the way down into the weather stripping but would stick out about 1/8". This problem went away after charging the battery but came back shortly after driving. This was the only proof I had to show them. Fortunately it was enough but its been in the shop ever since and they cant fix it and they haven't given up either. They gave me a brand new Range Rover Evoque to drive in the meantime and corporate mentioned I could get reimbursed for my lease payments for the time its been in the shop. So it seems your not the only one with this problem.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

It appears as if this Jaguar dealer is incapable of tracing tough electrical problems and in six months you could take the car completely apart and rebuild it from scratch fifteen times. If Jaguar corporate is not willing to intervene at this point, what more could it take to convince them to do so? It sounds like you need an attorney to send out some letters to the dealer and Jaguar. Six months is not an acceptable time period for a diagnosis even if they gave you a Bentley as a loaner. It's ridiculous!!
Good luck.