XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR

Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by elindo
Please post a picture of it installed. Would love to see it.
Here are a few pics of the Jaguar "Unique" Gearshift knob installed....

Attached Thumbnails Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-jaguar-xkr-gear-shift-ctek-003.jpg   Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-jaguar-xkr-gear-shift-ctek-004.jpg   Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-jaguar-xkr-gear-shift-ctek-005.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by richzak:
CleverName (07-08-2013), jchou (08-21-2013), Kevin77 (10-28-2014), ndy.boyd (12-09-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Thanks for the pics....

It is certainly much larger than I though it would be...

Vince

Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
Thanks for the pics....

It is certainly much larger than I though it would be...

Vince
I used a close up setting on the camera that I used for the detail that makes it look large...The gearshift knob is actually normal size.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

Think i got a bargain on Ebay, £120 and more from some dealers, can't wait to get it fitted, might use a heat gun or hair drier if tight to get off, as this is a reply to an old post, has anyone fitted one of these knobs or similar recently, the xkr is different fitting than the xk according to a past reply, was it hard to get off.

Attached Thumbnails Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-ebay.jpg   Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-knob1.jpg   Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-knob.jpg   Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-gear-knob.jpg   Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-knob2.jpg  

Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Think i got a bargain on Ebay, £120 and more from some dealers, can't wait to get it fitted, might use a heat gun or hair drier if tight to get off, as this is a reply to an old post, has anyone fitted one of these knobs or similar recently, the xkr is different fitting than the xk according to a past reply, was it hard to get off.
You will need a heat gun to heat up the old shift knob for removal. Jaguar used a red adhesive like a lock tight product to adhere the OEM shift knob.

In my case, I had to use an iron, heat it up and hold it on the metal part of the
OEM shift knob to melt away (soften) the adhesive. Then unscrew the old knob with vice grips and replace with the new knob. I really did not think I would get it off. It was a PITA to get off.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JeremyB
Whoa - hold-on there Cowboys !!!

According to the Workshop manual there is a 'locking collar' below the knob.
PS I got my copy of the manual from JagDocs. Its repaid the small cost multiple times so far.
richzak had your xkr the chrome cone shaped plinth under the gear knob, my xkr has it, according to the picture it was only on the xk

Attached Thumbnails Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-gear-shift-knob-removal.jpg  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

richzak had your xkr the chrome cone shaped plinth under the gear knob, my xkr has it, according to the picture it was only on the xk
powerhouse:

Yes. My shift knob was the second one for the Supercharged model.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The gear knob in the second picture in the workshop manual looks like the one for the portfolio. My 07 XKR had a collar like yours and I didn't have to heat it with anything when I changed it.

powerhouse (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
The gear knob in the second picture in the workshop manual looks like the one for the portfolio. My 07 XKR had a collar like yours and I didn't have to heat it with anything when I changed it.
Thanks so what steps did you use to change, had you to hold the collar, it seems to have holes like it needs a tool to hold it.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,129 Likes on 1,304 Posts

The chrome collar remains on the shaft - it is not removed when you remove the knob in fact, despite having indentations which would suggest that it needs to be turned, it is stationary, a part of the shaft.
It does help to use a little heat on the shaft before attempting to unscrew the knob, but I did not find that to be necessary. The knob itself unscrews from the shaft once the loctite seal is broken.

powerhouse (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

As an inexpensive alternative to replacing your OEM knob, consider adding a Leaper logo to it. See my post #13: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-update-93145/

Small microthin Leaper as installed on the rotary shift knob of my 2013 XJ, which is the same shifter as used on the 2010-up XK (X150) models. Picture is in Park, but when in Drive, the Leaper is facing forward.

Small microthin Leaper as installed on the shift knob of my 2009 XKR:

Microthin Leaper stickers available here: https://www.modsticker.com/products/...o-Sticker.html Small is $1.99 and medium is $2.99 plus S&H.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The chrome collar remains on the shaft - it is not removed when you remove the knob in fact, despite having indentations which would suggest that it needs to be turned, it is stationary, a part of the shaft.
The collar will need to come off to fit the knob that Powerhouse is putting on. Looking back through the thread you changed an XK for an XKR knob so you wouldn't have needed to take it off because they both seat on that collar.

It is a few years since I changed mine but I took both off. Looking back at post 7 in this thread I posted a picture of my old one with what looks like a grub screw. Not sure if that actually is one or whether the collar just undoes but the first line of the instructions in the workshop manual is "carefully loosen the locking collar:

Old 03-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Should get the replacement knob tomorrow, did a small test today and the current knob will screw off no problem. The collar turns a small bit and allows it to release from the knob a bit, then it's just a matter of winding the other one off. The Adamesh one in the picture has the collar left on. Have to say it was extremely tight to start with, had to place 2 hands on the knob, haven't done that for a while

Attached Thumbnails Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-adamesh.jpg  
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Well knob came today, have it fitted now, but didn't go according to plan.As i said i gave it a test run and said the knob will screw off no problem. Well i did screw it just a bit when i tried and it seemed to screw off a bit. But that was as far as it went today, the inner part started to turn inside the knob. So a bit of head scratching took place, thought i would have to cut the leather part of. Decided then to see would the chrome pieces come off if i got behind them with a flat screwdriver. They did , but took great force as they are glued and slotted together. Then i had to lever off the knob from the inner shaft that was turning on the gear lever shaft. Got it off and used a vice grip to remove the metal fitting off the shaft. Fitted the new one then.

Have to say it looks well, the badge however doesn't really stand out on the top, if it came in a red or black color it would look better IMO. Has anyone seen a red one.

Attached Thumbnails Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR-gear-knob.jpg  
Old 03-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Well knob came today, have it fitted now, but didn't go according to plan.As i said i gave it a test run and said the knob will screw off no problem. Well i did screw it just a bit when i tried and it seemed to screw off a bit. But that was as far as it went today, the inner part started to turn inside the knob. So a bit of head scratching took place, thought i would have to cut the leather part of. Decided then to see would the chrome pieces come off if i got behind them with a flat screwdriver. They did , but took great force as they are glued and slotted together. Then i had to lever off the knob from the inner shaft that was turning on the gear lever shaft. Got it off and used a vice grip to remove the metal fitting off the shaft. Fitted the new one then.

Have to say it looks well, the badge however doesn't really stand out on the top, if it came in a red or black color it would look better IMO. Has anyone seen a red one.
Weird, had the exact same thing happen to me last week. Having a portfolio alloy knob custom fitted with carbon fiber. I unscrewed the R leather knob once with no issue and the collar as well, then put it back together, then last week went to remove it for the second time and found after loosening the knob, it started to just spin freely and now will not come off, just spins. Guess it was designed as a one time use part! Funny that I never had this issue with other Jag models.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

so which knob have you on now

Old 03-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

The original, can't get it off the car at the moment.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
The original, can't get it off the car at the moment.
do as i said in previous reply
"Decided then to see would the chrome pieces come off if i got behind them with a flat screwdriver. They did , but took great force as they are glued and slotted together. Then i had to lever off the knob from the inner shaft that was turning on the gear lever shaft. Got it off and used a vice grip to remove the metal fitting off the shaft. Fitted new one, easy to do

Old 08-20-2022, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem

Hi Powerhouse
Very new member here. I see this is an old post but maybe will still get a response. I have the chrome and leather knob I would like to get off. Loosened the plinth. Now the knob just spins and spins. Have tried levering off the knob from the inner shaft with no luck. How did you do yours? Did removal of the outer chrome pieces do anything for you?
Thanks in advance.

panthera999 (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 05:59 PM
Received 563 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by LPjag
Hi Powerhouse
Very new member here. I see this is an old post but maybe will still get a response. I have the chrome and leather knob I would like to get off. Loosened the plinth. Now the knob just spins and spins. Have tried levering off the knob from the inner shaft with no luck. How did you do yours? Did removal of the outer chrome pieces do anything for you?
Thanks in advance.
Happened to me.Mine had a plinth as described above. But, a c-wrench allowed me to loosen it, and I backed it off the knob assembly. It's soft metal, and a vice grip will scar it. I suspect some no longer have the plinth because it was destroyed on removal

Jag used red threadlocker on the shaft where the knob screws on. Dumbasses: that's the stuff you use on studs you never expect to remove.

There is a shaft up the center of the knob that screws onto the shifter shaft. It was attached to the outer knob with a press fitting, or glue, or both. Hard to tell, but it loosens. So, outer knob no longer attached to inner shaft, and it spins.

I removed the "wood" from the knob. Unclips apart. Then I used various tools to lever the wood-less knob up off the knob shaft. Have to be very careful not to damage the leather, but with the wood off there are some places to grip so as to get the leather part off the inner shaft. Use tape or cloth to protect the leather where you can. Of course, if you're going to toss it, grip anything you want other than the chromed parts.

Then, with a vice grip on the knob's inner shaft, screw it off the shift lever breaking loose the red threadlocker. NOTE: the chrome on all these parts is easy to scar. Don't grip the shift lever with a vicegrip.. You don't have to. Just the knob shaft can be gripped and unscrewed from the shift shaft.

That done, reassemble the inner shaft with the leather knob with a good glue. Let it cure. Then screw it back on the shift shaft with blue threadlocker or similar softer thread gripper. Screw it on the shift shaft all the way down. When close to the bottom, set it to the correct position on the shaft. Screw the plinth up to lock it in place. If no plinth, let the blue threadlocker cure and it'll stay in place.

Last edited by panthera999; 08-21-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removal of Gear Shift Knob 2009 XKR