XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Spare Wheel/Tire for XKRs with Alcon Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts
Thumbs up Spare Wheel/Tire for XKRs with Alcon Brakes

Owners of 2008 and 2009 XKR Portfolios equipped with the optional Alcon brake package have an emergency inflator kit instead of a compact spare tire because the OEM compact spare doesn't clear the oversized 6-piston front caliper.

I just learned from Brutal (THANKS!) that the compact spare from the new XJ will clear the calipers and fit in the trunk of the XK. Note that there are 2 different spares available for the new XJ, one red and the other black. Black is the one to get.

Here's Brutal's quote:
"yeah you need the black spare from a new XJ(they come red or black). It has a larger offset and will clear the brakes, and fit in the trunk. Been there done that. that was easy."

I'll order that spare from my friendly Jaguar dealer tomorrow.

2-17-2012: IMPORTANT UPDATE to CORRECT ERRONEOUS ADVICE
My dealer received the black compact spare wheel I ordered, so I went there today to see if it would fit as Brutal claimed. It fit on the front, but did not fit on the rear since it interfered with the caliper. I was surprised, since I assumed that if it cleared the 6-piston front caliper it would easily fit on the rear, which has a smaller 4-piston caliper. Not so!

Although smaller, the rear caliper protrudes farther outward from the hub than the front caliper, thereby preventing the wheel from seating on the hub. I asked the tech about possibly using a wheel spacer to provide additional clearance, and he advised against it noting that a spacer might not be safe.

Sorry to disappoint you owners of cars with Alcon brakes, but the quest for the golden spare continues...

I did a little more research about using a wheel spacer and here's what I learned. Jaguar wheels are hubcentric and were not designed to accept a matching hubcentric spacer. If you use a spacer, the load will be on the lug bolts (unsafe) instead of the hub (safe). See this informative link: Hubcentric Adapter

10-14-2012 IMPORTANT UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED!
I am pleased to report that I now have a fully functional compact spare wheel and tire, jack and factory toolkit in the trunk well of my Alcon-brake equipped 2009 XKR Portfolio Cvt. Here's how I did it:

1. I bought a brand new 19" compact spare wheel mounted with a 135/70-19 105M tire and complete factory toolkit including the foam tray from a seller on eBay.uk who was parting out a wrecked 2011 XJ Supersport. That compact spare wheel is black, not red. It fits on the front of my Alcon-brake equipped XKR without any modifications, but it hits the rear caliper.

2. To enable that 19" compact spare to fit on the rear, I ordered one custom-made spacer from Motorsport-Tech in Nevada. Lennie Jr. is a great guy to work with and I recommend him highly! Spacer specs are as follows: hub centric, thickness 7mm, bolt pattern 5x108mm, hub diameter 63.4. Here's their website: We manufacture the best Wheel Spacers money can buy | Motorsport Tech Click on the "configure for any vehicle" link. This spacer fits perfectly and allows the 19" compact spare wheel to clear the Alcon calipers on the rear axle without any modification to the wheel studs.

Note that after I pushed the inflated spare into the well, it was a very tight fit and difficult to get out! So I deflated that tire a bit and it is now easy to remove. Since I still have the factory 12v inflator in the trunk well, I can easily re-inflate it to the proper pressure. Hopefully, I'll never need to put the spare on. But it's comforting to know that I now have a real spare in the trunk.
My thanks to Brutal for pointing me in the right direction!
Photo to be posted soon...

Here it is:

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-26-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: IMPORTANT UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED!
The following 17 users liked this post by Stuart S:
1fldsqn (02-25-2021), aah78 (03-02-2024), Aloha Bob (09-04-2019), barnsie (10-22-2019), BlkC4t_XK14 (04-06-2022), Cadillac (01-29-2012), Everest29 (11-04-2013), gkubrak (01-09-2020), GritsNCornbread (06-04-2013), jahummer (04-18-2017), jchou (07-25-2013), jleuz1 (06-05-2013), Panthro (11-06-2015), portfolio (10-31-2012), RedRider48 (06-08-2014), Roxy (01-23-2023), Vonmark (10-19-2023) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great information!

Thanks

Old 01-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fstick09
Great information!

Thanks

You're welcome. Please click on the thumbs up icon to add an official "Thanks" to my scorecard.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
BlkC4t_XK14 (04-06-2022), Doug A (01-28-2012), Vonmark (10-19-2023)
Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for your informative thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Default IMPORTANT UPDATE to CORRECT ERRONEOUS ADVICE

2-17-2012: IMPORTANT UPDATE to CORRECT ERRONEOUS ADVICE
My dealer received the black compact spare wheel I ordered, so I went there today to see if it would fit as Brutal claimed. It fit on the front, but did not fit on the rear since it interfered with the caliper. I was surprised, since I assumed that if it cleared the 6-piston front caliper it would easily fit on the rear, which has a smaller 4-piston caliper. Not so!

Although smaller, the rear caliper protrudes farther outward from the hub than the front caliper, thereby preventing the wheel from seating on the hub. I asked the tech about possibly using a wheel spacer to provide additional clearance, and he advised against it noting that a spacer might not be safe.

Sorry to disappoint you owners of cars with Alcon brakes, but the quest for the golden spare continues...

I did a little more research about using a wheel spacer and here's what I learned. Jaguar wheels are hubcentric and were not designed to accept a matching hubcentric spacer. If you use a spacer, the load will be on the lug bolts (unsafe) instead of the hub (safe). See this informative link: Hubcentric Adapter

Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Default 10-14-2012 important update - problem solved!

10-14-2012 IMPORTANT UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED!

I am pleased to report that I now have a fully functional compact spare wheel and tire, jack and factory toolkit in the trunk well of my Alcon-brake equipped 2009 XKR Portfolio Cvt. Here's how I did it:

1. I bought a brand new 19" compact spare wheel mounted with a 135/70-19 105M tire and complete factory toolkit including the foam tray from a seller on eBay.uk who was parting out a wrecked 2011 XJ Supersport. That compact spare wheel is black, not red. It fits on the front of my Alcon-brake equipped XKR without any modifications, but it hits the rear caliper.

2. To enable that 19" compact spare to fit on the rear, I ordered one custom-made spacer from Motorsport-Tech in Nevada. Lennie Jr. is a great guy to work with and I recommend him highly! Spacer specs are as follows: hub centric, thickness 7mm, bolt pattern 5x108mm, hub diameter 63.4. Here's their website: We manufacture the best Wheel Spacers money can buy | Motorsport Tech Click on the "configure for any vehicle" link. This spacer fits perfectly and allows the 19" compact spare wheel to clear the Alcon calipers on the rear axle without any modification to the wheel studs.

Note that after I pushed the inflated spare into the well, it was a very tight fit and difficult to get out! So I deflated that tire a bit and it is now easy to remove. Since I still have the factory 12v inflator in the trunk well, I can easily re-inflate it to the proper pressure. Hopefully, I'll never need to put the spare on. But it's comforting to know that I now have a real spare in the trunk.
My thanks to Brutal for pointing me in the right direction!
Photo to be posted soon...
Here it is:

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-29-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add photo
The following users liked this post:
richzak (06-08-2013)
Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Stuart,

Thanks so much for posting this. I've been somewhat paranoid about driving around with no spare wheel, as a puncture just seems a matter of 'when' not 'if' here in Phoenix. We seem to have a much higher than average number of truck drivers that think its OK to drive around with all sorts of unsecured crap in their flatbeds, continuously dropping nails, screws and worse all over the road.

That compressor of foam seems a really poor replacement for an actual wheel. I'm guessing its:
a) a one-shot use
b) expensive to replace
c) only good for small holes, not a gash

Also even for a small puncture, if you use the foam apparently you can't just clean/repair the tire after, so getting a flat even just from a nail now means the cost of at least 2 new tires (as you probably should replace the other side too in order to balance out the wear).

Like you I'll probably get a parted out wheel and toolkit. Assuming I also get the spacer from Lenny, do you happen to know which Jag models/years would have spare wheels compatible with doing this? Is it only the one from the 2011 XK supersport or will any 19" jag compact spare do?

Thanks,
Neil

Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Stuart,
...do you happen to know which Jag models/years would have spare wheels compatible with doing this? Is it only the one from the 2011 XK supersport or will any 19" jag compact spare do?

Thanks,
Neil
Neil,

All I know for sure is that the 19" black compact spare from the 2011-up XJ/XJLSupersport will work (with a spacer for the rear).

As for other Jaguar 19" compact spares, the only way to know for sure is to check with your Jaguar dealer and see if the part number is the same as the black spare from the XJ/XJL Supersport. I don't know the p/n of my spare. It's possible that Land Rover uses the same spare with the same p/n.

Although many current Jaguar models share the same wheel diameter, bolt circle, and center bore, the offsets vary. Offset can determine whether the wheel will clear the brake caliper. The black 19" spare didn't have enough offset to clear the rear calipers but that was fixed with a spacer.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Stuart

richzak (06-08-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Stuart:

Found your thread here and thanks so much for the input. Now I am on the hunt for the spare tire. If you or any others have an outlet for the spare tire and where to buy it, I would appreciate the info. I just can't trust the inflator. Mine says use before May 2012, so it is outdated.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Richard,

Your 12v inflator isn't outdated, only the can of tire goop to seal the puncture. Just buy a can of Fix-a-Flat at Pep Boys and you're good to go!

Don't forget to keep a Bible in the trunk so you can pray you never get a flat!

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Muddydog (06-03-2013), richzak (06-08-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Spare Tire Found....Will it work? XKR Portfolio Owners:

I found this on eBay........can anybody tell me if this will fit my 2009 XKR Portfolio as the way that member Stuart S has described above. I would also order the spacer as described above. Any input will be helpful. I am new to the Jaguar brand and the learning curve is steep. I appreciate any advice. See link below.

Found this on Ebay.....will it work for our application of spare tire?

JAGUAR NEW 19" XFR XJR XKR XKRS SPACESAVER SPARE WHEEL 135 70 19 XF XJ XK | eBay

Thanks...please advise.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Stuart:

I have found a spacesaver wheel and tire, but am unsure of the part number.

Does your spacesaver wheel have a part number on the wheel that you can confirm?

Also, what was the cost for the spacer from Lenny in Nevada?

I have been advised the part number is:

C2P12621

Any help is greatly appreciated. I need to make sure item is correct and before having it shipped from UK to USA.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Bought the following today:

JAGUAR NEW 19" XFR XJR XKR XKRS SPACESAVER SPARE WHEEL 135 70 19 XF XJ XK
19" SUITABLE FOR THE "R" VERSIONS

Cost: $325.00 for Wheel, Pirelli Tire mounted and shipping from UK, NEW vs the local Jaguar dealer at $784.27

Jaguar Part number is: C2P12621, and fits numerous Jaguar cars and years. This is the 19" version.

The spacer that is mentioned by Stuart S .....cost is $50.00 delivered to the house from manufactuer located in Sparks, NV.

Overall a great bargain, for the 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition and you have a spare tire. Sure beats the Fix-A-Flat goop in a can.

A BIG "thanks" to Stuart S for the all the information provided in his posts above.

Attached Thumbnails Spare Wheel/Tire for XKRs with Alcon Brakes-jaguar-xkr-pe-spare-tire.jpg  
Roxy (01-23-2023)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

In addition to the spare wheel and tire that was bought above, I also found the spare tire tool kit packed in the foam that inserts into the spare tire. Now have the complete wheel, tire, spacer and tool kit for under $450...vs dealer prices of nearly $990.00

Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE on Spare Wheel & Tire for 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition.....

For those 2009 Portfolio Edition XKR owners who have a inflatable system for flat tires, you may want to consider a real spare wheel and tire instead of the inflat a tire repair kit.

I bought this tire on eBay from a UK seller with 100% feedback. The wheel is stamped on the inside JAGUAR. I paid for the wheel and tire on a Wednesday via PayPal and received it in the USA from the UK on the following Monday, great service from FedEx.

Good news is, I tried the wheel and tire on my 09 XKR Portfolio today and it fit perfect. I have taken Stuart S's advice and ordered the wheel spacer from Lenny in Nevada for $25.00.

After reading Stuart S's posts above I called dealers, and ultimately bought the wheel and tire on eBay...here's the link, the seller has a few left.

JAGUAR NEW 19" XFR XJR XKR XKRS SPACESAVER SPARE WHEEL 135 70 19 XF XJ XK | eBay

I now have the security of knowing I don't have to deal the inflator kit and can, and if I get a flat tire, or a real blow out that the inflator kit won't fix, I have a real wheel and Pirelli mounted tire. I will keep the inflator system as a back up in the trunk. BTW, this wheel and tire stores perfectly in the lower trunk compartment.

This was my recent email to the seller in the UK...."I own the 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition which is a "limited addition" Jaguar XKR of 200 cars to the USA, about 90 to Austrailia. This wheel does fit the Jag with the Alcon Brakes and red calipers (6 Piston) which I have. Fits the front perfectly, the rear requires a spacer, hubcentric, thickness 7mm, bolt pattern 5x108mm, hub diameter 63.4. I am having the spacer custom made for $25.00 here in USA from a company in Nevada who specializes in making the wheel spacers. So these wheels WILL work on the 2009 Jag XKR Portfolio Edition. I just pulled the regular 20" wheel off and placed your wheel on the car with NO PROBLEMS. Your wheel is a 5x108mm Bolt pattern, with Hub diameter of 63.4...hope this info helps you sell the rest of the wheels. I am going to post this info on the Jaguar Forums website which covers the USA, Europe, Canada and Austrailia".

So if your looking for a real spare wheel with tire mounted, here's your opportunity without having to research and search for a wheel. All the work has been completed for you. A big thanks to Stuart S. who originally started this thread some time ago.

Last edited by richzak; 06-16-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Stuart S (06-16-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
In addition to the spare wheel and tire that was bought above, I also found the spare tire tool kit packed in the foam that inserts into the spare tire. Now have the complete wheel, tire, spacer and tool kit for under $450...vs dealer prices of nearly $990.00
Can you share where you bought it?

Thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Another question, I assume tool kits are different between 19'' and 18'' wheel, right? Since they have to fit inside the spare. Is this correct?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
Can you share where you bought it?

Thanks
Here's the link.....sellers name is Richard:

Jaguar New 19" XFR XJR XKR XKRS Spacesaver Spare Wheel 135 70 19 XF XJ XK | eBay

Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
Another question, I assume tool kits are different between 19'' and 18'' wheel, right? Since they have to fit inside the spare. Is this correct?
Blue XKR-S,

The above applies to 4.2L XKRs with optional Alcon brakes (2008-2009). I presume your 2012 XKR-S has the same Alcon brakes. But I'm not sure if the black compact spare will work on your car because Jaguar changed wheel offsets starting with 2010 models.

I suggest that you do what I did when I was trying to find a spare. I went to my Jaguar dealer (armed with a case of Bass Ale) and asked my service advisor, who I knew for some time, if he had a black spare and could see if it would fit my car. His parts department didn't have one in stock, but he was nice enough to take one out of the trunk of the XJSuperSport on the showroom floor. Although it fit the front perfectly, it didn't clear the rear caliper. I didn't expect that, since the 6-piston front caliper is larger than the 4-piston rear. But the rear caliper extends further outward from the hub than the front caliper, and made contact with the rim. I needed an additional 7mm of clearance for the black spare to clear the rear caliper. That's the reason for the custom made spacer.

I'm not sure if the styrofoam tool kit liner is the same for both 18" and 19" spare wheels. The best way to find out is to ask the parts guy to pull up the part numbers on his computer and see if they're the same or different.

Good luck, and let us know when you get a spare.

Stuart

Quebecjag (11-05-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Just got a response from the parts department. They still list
19" spare wheel- C2P12621as the right number for 2012 XKR-S spare. I'll try it and report back

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Blue XKR-S,

The above applies to 4.2L XKRs with optional Alcon brakes (2008-2009). I presume your 2012 XKR-S has the same Alcon brakes. But I'm not sure if the black compact spare will work on your car because Jaguar changed wheel offsets starting with 2010 models.

I suggest that you do what I did when I was trying to find a spare. I went to my Jaguar dealer (armed with a case of Bass Ale) and asked my service advisor, who I knew for some time, if he had a black spare and could see if it would fit my car. His parts department didn't have one in stock, but he was nice enough to take one out of the trunk of the XJSuperSport on the showroom floor. Although it fit the front perfectly, it didn't clear the rear caliper. I didn't expect that, since the 6-piston front caliper is larger than the 4-piston rear. But the rear caliper extends further outward from the hub than the front caliper, and made contact with the rim. I needed an additional 7mm of clearance for the black spare to clear the rear caliper. That's the reason for the custom made spacer.

I'm not sure if the styrofoam tool kit liner is the same for both 18" and 19" spare wheels. The best way to find out is to ask the parts guy to pull up the part numbers on his computer and see if they're the same or different.

Good luck, and let us know when you get a spare.

Stuart

Quebecjag (11-05-2013)

Quick Reply: Spare Wheel/Tire for XKRs with Alcon Brakes