XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Supercharger pulley and ecu upgrade for 2014 XKR convertible

Old 07-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have spoken with Jag Gill from ECU tuning group today and he explained that it is not possible for the tune to revert to stock and that it is permanent. The new program replaces the original and if the car is dynoed a year after the tune it will still measure the same hp. In fact in the cooler fall weather it will gain an additional 40 hp. If the car has a fault it will go into limp mode and once the fault is cleared the power of the tune will return to normal. It can only be overwritten by a newer version at the dealer and in that case Jag will re flash it for free. If the dealer tries to flash the same version the tune will not be overwritten. My car is still pulling as hard as the first day. Jag tunes 4-5 5.0 sc engines a day and has quite a track record.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by rfr66
I have spoken with Jag Gill from ECU tuning group today and he explained that it is not possible for the tune to revert to stock and that it is permanent. The new program replaces the original and if the car is dynoed a year after the tune it will still measure the same hp. In fact in the cooler fall weather it will gain an additional 40 hp. If the car has a fault it will go into limp mode and once the fault is cleared the power of the tune will return to normal. It can only be overwritten by a newer version at the dealer and in that case Jag will re flash it for free. If the dealer tries to flash the same version the tune will not be overwritten. My car is still pulling as hard as the first day. Jag tunes 4-5 5.0 sc engines a day and has quite a track record.
I still wonder how they do 4-5 5.0 supercharged engines a day it just does not add up.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

The ETG ECU tune is in reality all computer driven. Step 1, Get a read off your engine, elapsed time no more than 20 minutes. Step 2, ETC sends engine read to home base. Step 3, a custom tune designed for your vehicle is received from ETG's home base computer within 24 hours. Step 4, The custom tune is loaded into your ECM elapsed time less than 20 minutes. Off you go for 110 miles to "seat the custom tune in your ECM". Project complete.

Hope that the above explains the process. If you have SC engine, to get the full effect you will need to change the lower pulley before the tune.

The following users liked this post:
rfr66 (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 PM

ECU Tuning group has a network of dealers throughout the country, primarily car dealerships. They will send their tune out to the dealers to flash the ecu and install pulley if desired on mostly new cars before the customer picks up. It is the top pulley btw not the lower. In this way you can see how they can do 5 a day throughout the country. They worked with a Jaguar factory tech to develop the tune. It is very reliable and extremely satisfying. They flew out to NY to do my car in person at my work. It took 1 and half hours to change the pulley and flash the ecu. They read the program and found out my 2014 xkr was actually built in Nov 2013.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (08-01-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
It seems from other members who tuned their 5l SC XKRs that when the limit parameters are exceeded from utilizing the tune the ECM map is overwriten with the stock map for protection. Consequently, you have a $2,200 tune you can't use and if you push it you will loss it. There are many threads on the forum about this happening. All of the tuners know about it but will not say any thing. It has been proven by a few members.
This doesn't happen if you get somebody who knows what they're doing. My car is tuned (software only), has been pushed hard, and still has the tune.

I believe Maxima had this issue due to an issue with his ECU, which was eventually resolved. I don't believe he's had this issue since?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:50 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizzle
This doesn't happen if you get somebody who knows what they're doing. My car is tuned (software only), has been pushed hard, and still has the tune.

I believe Maxima had this issue due to an issue with his ECU, which was eventually resolved. I don't believe he's had this issue since?

This was discussed in detailed in a previous thread on MaximA's car and his experience with RSC and Eurocharged. It was determined that once the cars ECU picked up on a parameter being exceeded it would revert back to stock tune. RSC was able to stop this from happening. Based on MaximA's recent post was this happening because of a code being thrown which needed to be cleared or was it happening because the actual flash has been overwritten and purged by the ECU being protective? Also, for those getting a tune the TCM should reflashed to allow the power to be delivered. MaximA has the most experience with this and hopefully he will chime in to clarify the confusion.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:40 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

DGL which tunes have been proven to fail? Models and years? And aren't the stock files replaced by the tune file. Only way to revert is if the dealer reflashes? What parameters are we looking at as well. Thanks.
P.S before i spend the money on ETG

Old 07-31-2015, 03:37 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Guille
DGL which tunes have been proven to fail? Models and years? And aren't the stock files replaced by the tune file. Only way to revert is if the dealer reflashes? What parameters are we looking at as well. Thanks.
P.S before i spend the money on ETG

I started a thread over a year ago of ECM tune satisfaction to measure the degree of satisfaction between the various tunes supplied by the vendors. MaximA, who tracks his car experimented with a few vendor tunes. Most of the these available tunes are very similar and range in price from $700 to over $2,000. It has been said by MaximA, when the ECM detects unsafe conditions, brought about from utilizing a custom tune, by the ECM detecting any number of several parameters that it monitors are outside of the normal range the ECM will overwrite the current tune with the stock stored tune. However, on MaximA's most recent post he says that the tune will revert to stock when a code is thrown and will remain in the stock tune until it is cleared. Consequently, I'm a little confused is to if the tune is overwritten and lost of is temporarily disabled. Also, anyone considering a tune should also ensure the TCM is flashed to enable the delivery of the extra power is not totally restricted. MaximA has a RSC modified Eurcharged tune which is much more reasonable than ETG. I've always said, these vendors need to share their findings, for the betterment of developing a safe, reliable and more effective product, that owners can trust with confidence. RSC has said a tune will revert back to stock. However, is RSC saying the reflashed tune is overwritten and lost or is temporarily disabled until a code is cleared? Buyer-beware.

Last edited by DGL; 08-01-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:24 PM

Members may have had issues with other tunes but the ECU Tuning Group tunes do not fail. The original program is overwritten. There is no stored stock program to erase the new one. Only a flash by the dealer with a newer version would erase it. They can't even over write it with the same current program. It has to be a newer one. You should speak with Jag Gill at ETG and he will spend as much time speaking with you as you want until all your questions are answered satisfactorily. The number is 877-813-9700.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Old 08-06-2015, 12:57 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
Marko,
The cost is $2200 installed. Either they come to you or find an installer near you or you can do it yourself. I know many members like to see dyno sheets of before and after. They do about 5 upgrades a day on this 5.0 liter supercharged engine. Dynos range from 617 to 623 hp and he said they are available upon request. All the versions of this engine end up with the same power. The 495 hp f type s, the 510 hp xkr or 550 hp F type r will all end up with over 600 hp. They did a Land Rover SVR and clocked 0-60 in 3.9 seconds with higher grade fuel. The most important thing is what you feel. The numbers don't mean anything if it feels the same. This is such an enjoyable improvement and it will put a big smile on your face.
I've got an ETG tune on my 2010 XKR. Had it for the last couple years or so, as I recall. The only thing that seems to have changed is Jag's estimates of hp gains, and price. The hp estimates have gone from 590 to 620+, and the price for pulley plus tune has gone from $2000 to $2200.

I'm satisfied with the tune, don't get me wrong. Great power (including 50-60 ft lbs of torque) gains for the money. Mostly felt at about 3500 rpm on up. But the suggestion that representative Jaguar dyno sheets showing the gains are "available upon request" doesn't comport with my experience. I tried to get them from Jag when I bought the tune, and he gave vague assurances that I would get them, but I never did. After awhile, I just gave up. None of the sample dyno sheets on his website are for the 5.0 XKR, either, at least that I can find. There was a former 5.0 guy on this board with the handle Big Cat, though, and he posted his dynos with the ETG tune, along with lots of details, so I pulled the trigger. Another poster, Matt in Houston, posted his sheets using a different, though apparently similar tune from a different tuner, which also gave me comfort that tunes of this sort were not purely phantomware.

Like I said, I'm glad I went ahead with it, and Jag was great in customer support and involvement all the way through, but I also, still, would like to see before and after dynos from ETG on the 5.0 XKR. Wheel or engine dyno, doesn't matter which...

Old 08-08-2015, 09:28 AM

I agree Jag is very friendly and I was hoping I was not dealing with a snake oil salesman. Maybe the dynos will not add up to his exact numbers but there is a substantial improvement in performance so I feel I got my money's worth.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

My experience with ETG (Jags) has been nothing but positive. The dyno reading after the tune shows about 438 bhp as compared to stock at 375.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
It seems from other members who tuned their 5l SC XKRs that when the limit parameters are exceeded from utilizing the tune the ECM map is overwriten with the stock map for protection. Consequently, you have a $2,200 tune you can't use and if you push it you will loss it. There are many threads on the forum about this happening. All of the tuners know about it but will not say any thing. It has been proven by a few members.
My tune went away.... Tuner is researching it now.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hesitate on changing the exhaust because the back pressure is what is giving you the midrange torque. Open up the exhaust and you will gain hp but lose boost pressure and torque and that great midrange acceleration. You would need to increase boost even further to compensate. The sound does get louder and crisper just from the upgrade. Try it first then decide about exhaust.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I have been reading this thread with interest, although no SC XK in our garage.. Even with modern NA motors back pressure reduction is usually a positive thing for power, with forced induction / SC'ing I cannot see how it could reduce torque.
Horse Power is mathematically calculated from Torque, which is what you actually "measure", it is therefore impossible to reduce torque and increase horsepower at any rpm point.
Regards

Old 08-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by qcktvr
I hesitate on changing the exhaust because the back pressure is what is giving you the midrange torque. Open up the exhaust and you will gain hp but lose boost pressure and torque and that great midrange acceleration. You would need to increase boost even further to compensate. The sound does get louder and crisper just from the upgrade. Try it first then decide about exhaust.
Hi, I have been reading this thread with interest, although no SC XK in our garage.. Even with modern NA motors back pressure reduction is usually a positive thing for power, with forced induction / SC'ing I cannot see how it could reduce torque.
Horse Power is mathematically calculated from Torque, which is what you actually "measure", it is therefore impossible to reduce torque and increase horsepower at any rpm point.
Regards[/QUOTE]

Cams have overlap which in a NA engine helps scavenge the burnt mixture from the cylinder and also helps to start sucking in fresh fuel/air.

During the overlap portion of valve timing, due to cam overlap some of the supercharger boost is going out the exhaust. A little back pressure helps keep the boost in the cylinder.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Hi again,
I understand what you are saying, and it makes some sense, but if you have enough back pressure to be really noticeable in the mid ranges isn't it likely to be quite a negative at higher rpm?
And then most of the time aren't the SC motors operating in a NA mode?
Guess life is full of compromises and this would be one of them, for many of us the note and lack of drone etc. would be important.
You still cannot have higher hp and lower torque at any one rpm...

Old 08-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,143 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Originally Posted by qcktvr
Hi again,
I understand what you are saying, and it makes some sense, but if you have enough back pressure to be really noticeable in the mid ranges isn't it likely to be quite a negative at higher rpm?
And then most of the time aren't the SC motors operating in a NA mode?
Guess life is full of compromises and this would be one of them, for many of us the note and lack of drone etc. would be important.
You still cannot have higher hp and lower torque at any one rpm...
Especially at 5250 RPM because, mathematically, horsepower and torque HAVE to be identical.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 PM

5250 sounds familiar, 33,000 / 2 x pye, probably only true for the old foot, pounds seconds system though.
So you understand that higher torque values are always what we search for as they then calculate to higher horsepower numbers.
Back pressure as a simple measured value is not usually considered to be a variable that would improve performance, although it would be easy to add a variable restrictor to the exhaust if it was.
While variable valve timing is not so easy to do, but very effective at optimising torque at various rpm and throttle openings... large overlap is required for good high rpm breathing (& torque) but not good at lower rpm, thank you vvt..
Since our cars all come with auto trannies that are quick to shift down and get the revs up I think it would make more sense to optimise breathing in that higher range where there is way more hot stuff to be moved out...
I remember test driving an XJ6 and finding that 186HP was not enough, but 244 in a XJ12 was just fine (1973); my 300hp and 30mpg XK would have been unbelievable then... and still enough for me today..
I will try and keep quiet on this subject...

Old 09-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Late on this post but a few observations/questions:
Good to hear about ECU tuning. They're literally 2 miles from me and I was thinking about taking my XKR there, but before i do...
Does it make any sense to JUST change the pulley? I ask because: I had a 2011 XK convertible for a few years but was in an accident (kid came from the right, crunched the right front, insurance company totalled it), so I just picked up a 2010 XKR convertible. I ABSOLUTELY notice the rear end can kick out, particularly if I punch it as I move left to pass at slow speeds (a common move here in LA). It's very unnerving. I'm worried that the HP and torque gains you're claiming would make the car almost undriveable. Thoughts?
Finally, re the exhaust: I know this is mentioned elsewhere and I'm sure people on this thread have done it, but have you done the Pull-Fuse-19 trick? I did it right away (from the fusebox behind the rear seat and NOT in the engine compartment) and noticed the difference right away. I LOVE the sound now.