XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

vibration felt only in the gas pedal at specific rpm

Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default vibration felt only in the gas pedal at specific rpm

2013 XK conv, less than 6k miles, have had it about 2 months. I feel a vibration right at ~1800 rpm but only in the gas pedal. Speed independent as it is there in all gears. Can't feel it anywhere else - steering wheel, dash, door, tunnel, etc. No other symptoms and the car was serviced in early Feb with a clean bill of health. Don't know if it is an issue, just puzzling.

Thoughts?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I had the same sort of thing back when I had my 08. The shop foreman at the dealership could feel it as well. Decided to do nothing about it and eventually it either went away or I got so used to it I didn't notice it anymore. Have not had the issue in either the 12 or my 13 XKR.

The following users liked this post:
Malt (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Ditto on my '12, vibration transferred through gas pedal at lower rpm. Very noticeable when driving and quickly get used to it and forget all about it, so much so that I never have it on my mind to post.

Malt (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

EVERYTHING in the world has resonance/vibration. you just noticed it so before you make yourself mad(in the head) don't think something like that is a problem. I cannot count how many times a customer notices something and complains that its a problem. I spend lots of time only to find it normal to which Ive wasted lots of time for nothing just to confirm a question/concern.

Queen and Country (05-05-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Brutal, I do agree with you, but I can say on my car that this is extremely abnormal vibration. If it was present for a longer period of time I am sure it would cause some pain. It is very pronounced.

Having owned numerous cars plus the fact that I drive different rental cars probably 20 times per year I can safely say that this XK is the only car I have ever felt a noticeable vibration transfer through the accelerator pedal. I am not looking for it, typically I forget it is there mostly because I am a leadfoot. My normal style of driving is such that I blast past that moment, it is when I am driving like a grandma that I notice it the most.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Isn't the accelerator peddle fly by wire so no linkage or cable is on the peddle? That would make any vibration to either come from the rheostat control unit or the peddle mounting.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
Brutal, I do agree with you, but I can say on my car that this is extremely abnormal vibration. If it was present for a longer period of time I am sure it would cause some pain. It is very pronounced.

Having owned numerous cars plus the fact that I drive different rental cars probably 20 times per year I can safely say that this XK is the only car I have ever felt a noticeable vibration transfer through the accelerator pedal. I am not looking for it, typically I forget it is there mostly because I am a leadfoot. My normal style of driving is such that I blast past that moment, it is when I am driving like a grandma that I notice it the most.
Well then does it do it just sitting still in park and bringing rpm to that point? yes it is fly by wire so it is just a pedal and wires but bolts to the firewall so may be something ling heat shield, exhaust etc touching body, frame, something else and transferring resonance into the firewall and pedal assembly. maybe it just needs to be balanced j/k but I sensed humor in your response.....

Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, humor was present!

I will try it at idle later this will when I am back. Maybe my car and foot suffer from incompatible resonating frequencies.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Yes, humor was present!

I will try it at idle later this will when I am back. Maybe my car and foot suffer from incompatible resonating frequencies.
A neurological foot quiver, brought on by the foot wanting to 'floor it' and the brain trying to avoid a speeding ticket?

The following 3 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Malt (03-20-2017), ralphwg (03-20-2017), sharx8 (05-10-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Yes, humor was present!

Ah yes and you appropriately chose the Dr. Nick Emoji.
"Hi everybody. The best part was when he gave me my money."

Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the input. I figured it was a resonance. Combo of engine/throttle linkage. I see it more curiosity than problem and something to keep an eye on.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I'm glad that that's resolved. One less thing to worry about.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Well, I'm glad that that's resolved. One less thing to worry about.
Whoa Whoa, I need you to slow down there hotrod!

We ain't got nuttin' on resolution of this situation up in here.

Got back to the hacienda after a quick trip to the cold mid-West (how do some of you people live in Michigan??? or anywhere cold for that matter) and gave it a quick test.

Testing parameters:
  1. Car in Park, rev'd engine past offending RPM around 1800, there was no "harmonic distortion" transferred through my sensitive foot.
  2. Slow acceleration in Drive, very apparent in every gear at same offending RPM, very unpleasant I might add.
  3. Fast acceleration, either it wasn't present or I was just having too much fun to notice. Plus the shifts occurred at a higher interval than 1800 once I was past 1st gear. Then I was off to the races and there was no looking back.

This is as far as I go, I will await it to turn into a full shudder of the entire car before I address any further I suppose. Maybe I should install a comfort memory foam gel cover to my accelerator to dampen the problem.

Malt (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:59 PM

I'd say I have the same test results as tampamark.
Going to have the dealer take a look on Monday.

tampamark (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Malt, let me know what you find. I am out of full warranty but still under CPO, if you flush this out and it is something covered by my extra warranty then I will have it fixed.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
EVERYTHING in the world has resonance/vibration. you just noticed it so before you make yourself mad(in the head) don't think something like that is a problem. I cannot count how many times a customer notices something and complains that its a problem. I spend lots of time only to find it normal to which Ive wasted lots of time for nothing just to confirm a question/concern.
I kid you not, I was going to write the same thing but refrained thinking no one in the world would understand me.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Could it just be exhaust drone at that low RPM? My car XK did it, but I thought it was a few 100 RPM's higher?

Old 05-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

I had the issue in my 08 XK vert. I only noticed it in my accelerator foot (right foot) between 1300 and 1600 rpm. My then service manager at the Jaguar dealership noticed as well. the conclusion was that it was normal. Anyway, there were no other symptoms or ill effects from it. I have never had the same thing on either of the 5.0L verts.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:03 PM

OK, so had the cat in to the Doc and the diagnosis was that the vibration is an issue with the torque converter / transmission hunting gears. Transmission had to be warm for it to show and it threw no codes. So first solution was to reload the software for that module, they thought it could be a SW glitch that confused the computer just at that particular rpm. That fix has made it almost go away; if I had not been sensitive to the prior condition I think I wouldn't have noticed it. Or maybe it is my foot playing tricks with me - phantom vibrations. So we'll see how it holds up. Next fix would be torque converter replacement.

They have had this sort of issue come in before but usually much worse. Leads to some torque converter or tranny repair.

So based on this experience, I pulled the trigger on the extended warranty since the factory warranty is up this month.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
This is the type of feedback I would expect from a technicians perspective. The opinion that it is an overreaction by the customer who is finding fault where there is normal operating parameters. I am 49 years old and have owned many cars including the current stable of three vehicles. Only one has a vibration transference that is so significant that it can be termed "uncomfortable", yes that is the Jag.

Originally Posted by Malt
OK, so had the cat in to the Doc and the diagnosis was that the vibration is an issue with the torque converter / transmission hunting gears. Transmission had to be warm for it to show and it threw no codes. So first solution was to reload the software for that module, they thought it could be a SW glitch that confused the computer just at that particular rpm. That fix has made it almost go away; if I had not been sensitive to the prior condition I think I wouldn't have noticed it. Or maybe it is my foot playing tricks with me - phantom vibrations. So we'll see how it holds up. Next fix would be torque converter replacement.

They have had this sort of issue come in before but usually much worse. Leads to some torque converter or tranny repair.

So based on this experience, I pulled the trigger on the extended warranty since the factory warranty is up this month.
I guess it isn't in our mind after all! I will schedule a time with my car and see if they have experience with this real issue.

Search this Thread