XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Waterless Coolant

Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Waterless Coolant

I have a 2006 XKR with 35K but this could apply to all. Evans Waterless Coolant makes some wonderful claims which sound ideal for Jaguar engines. I have talked to my dealer and they had never heard of it. Please google the web site. Has anyone gone through the process? The price of the coolant is reasonable but the process of getting out the old coolant could be a real task.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by rjbaldwin51
I have a 2006 XKR with 35K but this could apply to all. Evans Waterless Coolant makes some wonderful claims which sound ideal for Jaguar engines. I have talked to my dealer and they had never heard of it. Please google the web site. Has anyone gone through the process? The price of the coolant is reasonable but the process of getting out the old coolant could be a real task.
RJ:

I used a product similair to the Evans in my F1000 formula race cars. The product is from Redline, known for making fluids for racing. The product is WaterWetter:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - WaterWetter® Coolant Additives - WaterWetter®

Our engines were turning 12,500 to 13,000 RPM's so we needed to reduce water temperatures to reduce stress on critical components of the engines.

The objective is to produce lower temperatures of the water within the cooling system. The only thing I am not sure is if Jaguar would have a problem with the product under one of their warranties. If the car is out of warranty, then I see no problem using the Redline or Evans. However I am not familair with the Evans product nor have I used it.

No big surprise to me that the dealer did not know about these products.

I experienced no problems in using the WaterWetter product in my formula cars and never had any overheating problems within the engines.

With the WaterWetter product there is no need to drain the system or flush unless you would want to. The Redline product is used as an additive. Consult the link above.

If you're experiencing overheating or higher water temps the Redline product is a good place to start to help reduce overall water temps.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Evans coolant has nothing in common with water wetter or similar. Apples and oranges.

The Evans topic gets thrashed fairly frequently, IMHO it's a poor solution in search of a real problem.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ant-xk8-83915/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...coolant-90857/

Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Original poster...........are you having cooling problems. Just what are they? LIving in the northwest like you do, I'd think there would be no problems with cooling.

I've written about my cooling problem in Tx recently (on this forum). I owned the car for one year and had no problem. Then a month or so ago I drove from one part of town back home. When I got home and got out, the radiator fan was running. It had NEVER done this before EVER. I'd recently driven across Az, New Mexico and the upper part of Tx in 100*F heat and the fan never came on when filling up at the gas stations on the way.

My problem turned out to be the PLASTIC coolant housing for the thermostat. There was a internal crack INSIDE (duh, internal means inside) the coolant housing that let water right out of the heads come straight back to the inlet of the water pump without passing thru the radiator to be cooled. Replaced the PLASTIC housing and all is very well now. Did I mention the thermostat housing was made of PLASTIC?

Since then I have noticed that my Jags water temp at idle, after having been driven for a while, is in the range of 203*F, much like what someone else up in your area of the country stated. My SL also runs in the 200*F range at idle after being driven and if memory serves, about five yrs ago I put a scan tool on a company Ford Explorer which was brand new, and the water temp was in the 200*F range. Seems modern car engines are made to run at that temp. For emission reasons???????? I think so.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Emissions and efficiency (fuel consumption) reasons. Contrary to popular thinking, the hotter an engine can be made to run, the more efficient it becomes.