XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK 4.2 V8 Cutting out at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XK 4.2 V8 Cutting out at idle

I wondered if this is a common fault by any chance? The car is started, and then intermittently cutting out. Sometimes it's fine, other times it'll cut out several times before it can be driven off in D. Once driving it seems fine, so I'm thinking air/fuel mixture or perhaps an electrical fault with the push-button starter etc?

The car is a 2005/6 XK 4.2 Coupe.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by W44NNE
I wondered if this is a common fault by any chance? The car is started, and then intermittently cutting out. Sometimes it's fine, other times it'll cut out several times before it can be driven off in D. Once driving it seems fine, so I'm thinking air/fuel mixture or perhaps an electrical fault with the push-button starter etc?

The car is a 2005/6 XK 4.2 Coupe.

Thanks in advance
Not normal , do you have any MIL codes. Check them 1st . Also is there any fuel odors .

Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Not normal , do you have any MIL codes. Check them 1st . Also is there any fuel odors .
No odours that I'm aware of but I'll take more notice tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by W44NNE
No odours that I'm aware of but I'll take more notice tomorrow.
Also when it cuts out do you lose all electrical power to the car. Do the windows work or the infotainment screen stay on. How good is the battery.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Also when it cuts out do you lose all electrical power to the car. Do the windows work or the infotainment screen stay on. How good is the battery.
Hadn't even thought of looking at any of that. No doubt it'll cut out tomorrow so I'll check all of this.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

This hasn't happened with my XK but has on my Rover. I believe it's your throttle body is dirty. If it happens more when it's cold then it's probably that. It gets a gunk on there that's sticky. When it's cold it sticks more but once it warms up there isn't usually as much sticking. Mine would sometimes die at a stop sign for what appeared to be no reason. Very easy to clean.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by robbing
This hasn't happened with my XK but has on my Rover. I believe it's your throttle body is dirty. If it happens more when it's cold then it's probably that. It gets a gunk on there that's sticky. When it's cold it sticks more but once it warms up there isn't usually as much sticking. Mine would sometimes die at a stop sign for what appeared to be no reason. Very easy to clean.
I'd be over the moon if it's that. Good shout, I'll get looking in to it as I'm sure it's over-due anyway, thanks.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm willing to bet that's it. You'll know right when you see it. The dirt, carbon build up and other stuff can make it pretty sticky which will cause your revs to go down very low and then bounce back up or just completely cut the engine off.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by robbing
I'm willing to bet that's it. You'll know right when you see it. The dirt, carbon build up and other stuff can make it pretty sticky which will cause your revs to go down very low and then bounce back up or just completely cut the engine off.
Yeah it's done a lot of town driving in the past few months which I guess wouldn't help. I'll get back to the thread once I know what it is, but hopefully it's along those lines, thanks :-)

Old 01-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

When was the fuel filter last changed?