XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR Convertible - Manual Top Re-set

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XKR Convertible - Manual Top Re-set

Hi,
I have a 2009 XKR Cab. Battery died due to leaving door open overnight...jump started and car is operating fine --- EXCEPT the convertible top - which is in the closed position and will not open.
Here's what I've tried:
  1. Window Reset procedure (hold button down until click, hold button up until click, hold button down until click - for both windows). No effect on roof.
  2. Same as above PLUS holding the Down button for 30 seconds. No effect.
  3. Take hex key and turn anticlockwise in pump in trunk. Did that -- but nothing happened? Not sure what is supposed to happen but the top didn't do anything when I turned the key.
So there we are - I'm stuck! Can anyone give me a hand on this?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

see this thread...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/2...problem-50331/
I detail what worked for me down in body....also as pointed out in the thread there is a procedure in the manual as well...

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks.
The gotcha is that I'm *trying* to follow the procedure in the manual (as in your post) - but either I'm missing an instruction or there's a deeper issue.

1) I turn the allan key in the pump CounterClockwise, one turn.
2) Now What? I was expecting the front lip of the roof to unlatch so I could manually open it - but nothiung happens -- so I can't manually close it as its still latched. FYI The roof storage lid is also fixed in position.

I'm missing some set of steps that isn't detailed in the manual. What precisely does one do after one opens the pump valve? Does one pull the handle that's there? (I thought that was for a manual close).

Ugh. Stuck!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I understand the roof reset operation is in the owner’s manual. Do you have one?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Take a look at post # 8 & 9 on this link it should help Convertible top not latched - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Unhappy

Thanks. I did the procedure in the Owners Guide for the manual re-set except, when I released the pump with a full turn anti-clockwise - the roof didn't unlatch -- so I then did that bit manually - and manually opened the rear cover (by pulling the loop in the trunk) - and then manually folded the roof into its compartment. (These two steps [latch release and cover release] are not detailed in the manual.

Now, the roof is in the fully open position and the cover is "almost" closed -but doesn't fully close. The rear windows are raised - and none of the buttons or reset sequences results in the roof reengaging - so I have gone from a non functioning roof in a closed position to a non-functioning roof in an open position.

Pretty sure its nothing to do with windows (have reset them multiple times and they do what they should do upon door opening), nothing to do with the luggage cover (have reset that 23 times). Have followed all the other suggestions in the suggested posts - and am still stuck! Ugh! Any further ideas - or is it time to take this lady to the dealer?

The following users liked this post:
Bob OB (06-25-2022)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am unable to answer any questions on the roof system on your car. If I were you I would open the roof manually and press the button to open it and then close it manually and press the button to close it and then try it electrically. If that did not work then taking it to an expert is in order. I do not have any information to help you. Sorry I wish I could!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Skavan,
The release on the pump has nothing to do with the front top latch release. The pump valve release (trunk) simply allows the hydraulic system to flow freely so you can manually move all of the top and tonneau by opening the valve on the pump. The front latch release is a mechanical latch and has to be undone as you did if the top is latched. I would suggest that you close and manually latch the top again and make double sure your luggage cover is in place properly. I would caution you though...the manual latch on the top felt allot like a train wreck to me when I was using and judging by the feel when I was using it seemed like something that an operator could easily break. I was never successful getting my top to latch manually and ended up opening the to top fully reset it.

anaw (05-26-2015)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

skavan,

I think there is a possibility you do not have the forward latch backed off far enough. The screw mechanism you turned to release the top from the header has to be backed off a long way, meaning turned counter-clockwise quite a bit further than just releasing the latches. That mechanism also jacks the top 12-15 inches up from the header. If that is not screwed far enough the switches may not all be tripped correctly. I would suggest bringing the top back up so you can access the battery and disconnect it for a few minutes. Then make sure the front latch is backed off fully, then return the top to the back and close the deck. Close the pump valve with the tool and deploy the luggage separator, then close the trunk. Now reset the two windows, up first then down. Make sure the one touch function works on both, if it does, raise the top with the switch, it should work. The trick to the "reset" is the top has to start from the folded position with the deck laid closed.

Attached is the procedure for manual operation.

Good luck!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X150 Conv Top Manual Operation.pdf (993.5 KB, 2206 views)

Last edited by xjrguy; 06-07-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Smile

you guys rock. So here's what I did:
1. Manually closed the roof (per manual)
2. Removed luggage cover, unscrewed 4 lugs and removed battery panel (directly behind rear seats)
3. Unscrewed Negative (Left) Lug and removed, using 10mm ratchet wrench.
4. Left it for 10 minutes.
5. Reconnected battery, tightened nut.
6. Replaced Rear Panel and Lugs
7. Replaced Luggage Cover and "deployed it"
8. Released valve in pump ( 2 turns anti-clockwise)
9. Pulled Roof Cover release cable.
10. Released Front Roof Latch using hex key in roof liner panel.
11. Manually retracted roof into body (per manual)
12. Closed roof lid (it won;t latch)
13. Started Car
14. Reset Windows (Hold buttons down, when down count to 3, "click", Hold Buttons Up, when up count to 3, "Click", down again.
15. Press Roof Up button and YEAH!!!!

Thanks to everyone.
a) The manual is missing steps on the manual roof opening procedure
b) It doesn't explain how to disconnect the battery at all as far as I can see.
c) Disconnecting the battery was the key -- and it didn't suggest that either!

PHEW.

The following 5 users liked this post by skavan:
amcdonal86 (07-26-2012), anaw (05-26-2015), Buzzer (04-24-2020), gctippett (02-28-2022), Prettykitty (03-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Glad you got her going!

As I always say......information is King!

Cheers,

gctippett (02-28-2022)
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Just want to say that Skavan's instructions are spot on, btw. I had my battery die Monday from an admiring friend who didn't close the door when she got out... and I didn't check it. I put the car on a charger and after the myriad of lights about failed transmission, adaptive lighting, etc went by, everything seemed to work but the top. I followed the instructions for manually dropping it, etc -- but nothing worked until I had the top down and the battery disconnected for 10 minutes. Everything magically started working after that.

Ironically, while I lost the trip meters in the reset, I didn't lose my radio station presets. Apparently that latter just happens due to some... other... weird reason. /lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Rahtok:
gatorVDP (05-16-2022), gctippett (02-28-2022)
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The roof on that car is controlled by the security and body control module your disconnecting the battery cable for 10 min allowed the modules to reset and start fresh. Good to know it worked for you.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
The roof on that car is controlled by the security and body control module your disconnecting the battery cable for 10 min allowed the modules to reset and start fresh. Good to know it worked for you.
Whoa! Gus. His car is an X150 aluminum XK, not an X100 like yours. He doesn't have a Security & Locking Module. He has a dedicated Conv. Top Module mounted behind the LH Roll Over Protection Hoop.

Otherwise, you were spot on!

Cheers,

Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I did not look I just assumed it was an x100 xk8/R. I was in the right church wrong pew…

gatorVDP (05-16-2022)
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Whoa! Gus. His car is an X150 aluminum XK, not an X100 like yours. He doesn't have a Security & Locking Module. He has a dedicated Conv. Top Module mounted behind the LH Roll Over Protection Hoop.

Otherwise, you were spot on!

Cheers,
Is there a better way to reset this than yoinking the power for 10 minutes? Seems kinda overkill... does the Top Module have it's own reset button?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need the battery disconnect step, sounds like that's for the prior model. Here's the steps for the 2007+ cars (learned the hard way, had to start with a misbehaving battery and the top stowed), this assumes the top is open partially:

1. Engine/ignition off
2. Insert the allen wrench into the pump, turn counterclockwise 1 turn
3. Depending on where your top starts (slightly to mostly) off, you'll need to follow the specific sequence in the manual, but basically it has to be opened partially to expose the tonneau cover enough for you to then manually (gently) pull up on the tonneau cover, holding it open, helps to do this with a helper.

(If you're starting from completely stowed, you'll need to pull the cover release, should be a loop above the pump)

4. Stow the roof
5. Close the cover (won't close all the way - This part I didn't know, luckily didn't break it)
6. Use the allen wrench, clockwise, 1 turn (I was slightly off here, so it wouldn't work initially, finally figured out needed to turn till it stopped)
7. Put everything back
8. Start the engine
9. Close the top fully. (My top didn't come up 'cause I hadn't turned the allen wrench clockwise far enough)
10. Reset windows if needed.

Hope that helps.

gctippett (02-28-2022)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need the battery disconnect step, sounds like that's for the prior model. Here's the steps for the 2007+ cars (learned the hard way, had to start with a misbehaving battery and the top stowed), this assumes the top is open partially:

1. Engine/ignition off
2. Insert the allen wrench into the pump, turn counterclockwise 1 turn
3. Depending on where your top starts (slightly to mostly) off, you'll need to follow the specific sequence in the manual, but basically it has to be opened partially to expose the tonneau cover enough for you to then manually (gently) pull up on the tonneau cover, holding it open, helps to do this with a helper.

(If you're starting from completely stowed, you'll need to pull the cover release, should be a loop above the pump)

4. Stow the roof
5. Close the cover (won't close all the way - This part I didn't know, luckily didn't break it)
6. Use the allen wrench, clockwise, 1 turn (I was slightly off here, so it wouldn't work initially, finally figured out needed to turn till it stopped)
7. Put everything back
8. Start the engine
9. Close the top fully. (My top didn't come up 'cause I hadn't turned the allen wrench clockwise far enough)
10. Reset windows if needed.

Hope that helps. Ultimately I got all this from the manual...

Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM

No, I DID need the battery disconnect step. I tried all of those, in that order prior to disconnecting the battery. The roof button was depressed, but the electronics made no effort to engage anything. Something was reset by the battery disconnect, and that allowed the electronics to fire up and start moving again. <shrugs> I wish there was a better way than cutting power to the car is all.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rahtok
No, I DID need the battery disconnect step. I tried all of those, in that order prior to disconnecting the battery. The roof button was depressed, but the electronics made no effort to engage anything. Something was reset by the battery disconnect, and that allowed the electronics to fire up and start moving again. <shrugs> I wish there was a better way than cutting power to the car is all.
That's correct Rahtok, for some reason 2010 and later models require the battery disconnect way more often than 2007-2009 models. I don't know why.

Just about any time the battery falls below some threshold, somewhere around 9v, the top position and window memories are lost. When the battery is restored, the tops usually can pickup from where they are once the windows are reset. Models 2010 on have to have the tops moved to the "reset" position, back in the well, much more often to get them to work. I have yet to fully determine why.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: XKR Convertible - Manual Top Re-set