XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Saw one in person for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Saw one in person for the first time

I brought my XJS over to my mechanic for a quick question today, and he had these two Jags at the shop. The E-type is being restored. The XK I'd never seen before - ever - in person. It's an occasional drive for its owner, not in grand condition but she does drive. My mechanic said the restoration cost would be too much so the owner just keeps it as is, running, and drives it on nice days like today. I was totally smitten!

Attached Thumbnails Saw one in person for the first time-xk-e-type_opt.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

would love to have one of these old beauties! Saw one on ebay in need of restoration - wonder if I can talk the kid out of college to buy/restore it?

Old 09-07-2013, 01:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Beautiful to look at but the driving position is terrible.

Huge diameter, thin rimmed steering wheel which feels unnaturally near vertical and, even with the seat right back, is almost up against your chest.

Graham

Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my old 150S, the driving position was OK for a young man, although the seats were reminiscent of those in a cheap cafeteria...what I loved was the sound, the torque, and the old Moss "crash box" transmission that kept you alert and working....a wonderful old car in its era, and still a head turner. The 120 was, however, the actual class act of the XK series IMHO.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I've driven a 140 and a 120. Maybe you eventually get accustomed to the driving position and overall feel but I'm not comfortable at all in one.

Same thing with the old solid-axle Corvettes. Horrible things to drive...but they're great to be seen in so you feel pretty cool doing it !

Some cars are more fun to look at and longingly admire than they are to drive. Yeah, they have heaps that certain style/romance/charm/whatever ....I have full appreciation for nostaligia and all that.....but I really don't know how owners tolerated them "back in the day".

Cheers
DD

Old 09-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default True, so true....

Everything said here about the driving position of the XK-120 is 100% true. I'll add that the seats have absolutely *NO* lateral support. Driving this thing at any speed is not for the faint of heart. In fact, it's so difficult to drive, I like to think of the whole car as being it's own "anti-theft device".

How those guys raced these things when they were current is well beyond me. Especially at Watkins Glen, going down that hill toward the stone bridge, with nothing but *DRUM* brakes??? Definitely separates the men from the boys.

That said, I still LOVE driving it! It's just such a gorgeous car and you'll never see yourself coming the other way on the road!

FWIW.

The following 3 users liked this post by 360gtracer:
Doug (09-23-2013), gkazimir (08-06-2014), mackguy (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What can you say, we've progressed in the 60+ years since these cars were cutting edge, but they WERE cutting edge at the time. My 140 is about 50+% E-type at this point, but I love it! No it's not a modern Porsche, but that straight 6 growl, and the crazy long hood out in front of you, and those curvy fenders. I'll take it over a new Boxster any day (and yes, I've driven one of those too).

The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (08-06-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my 56 XK140 very frequently around Maryland - spring, summer, fall because I just LOVE driving it. It's not a concours contender but was refurbished 8 yrs ago as a nice driver. I bought it as an old, used car back in 78, daily driver for a couple years, burned a valve, stored it, dug it out about 2001 and started fixing it up - new sills, floor pan and boards, SS exhaust, interior, paint, top and tonneau, fuel tank, brakes, engine rebuild. Back on road '06 and thousands of miles ago.
Left some of the 58 yrs of battle scars intact just because it's a CAR! that's been used hard and not a showpiece/trailer queen. I go to occasional shows and enter Driver class but I more enjoy the drive there, and I have been noted for driving it with "alacrity". I think he meant the way they were originally meant to be driven before they became "investments".
If you're ever around the Pasadena area, contact me and I'll give you the 25 cent tour and take you for a ride. Right about NO lateral support in seats but I did put in seat belts so just cinch 'em tight. Also ditched the original steering wheel for a wood rim 16" (vs original 17) that looks MUCH nicer and gives a bit more thigh clearance. I'm 5'10" and with the seat back and the telescopic wheel in there's plenty of room. Over 6' and overweight, not so much. And did I mention the top is a royal pain in the **** to erect? It goes up for 3 things - HEAVY rain, COLD days, and Concours shows (required for judging).
Of all my cars I like the 140 best. The 120 was revolutionary for its time, the 140 improved it, my 150 "S" is a heavy handed factory hot rod and a bit bulbous but would smoke HiPo Mustangs in the late 60's, the E was always quick, fast, great, but felt a little fragile, the XJ6 is a great handling, great riding sedan with bog slow acceleration, the XKS was a nice GT but not a sports car, and my 02 XJ8 is the best daily driver IMHO of the modern era Jags.
There, you have it, my 2 cents worth. Didn't mean to get so verbose.

The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe I may need to make it a point to come and see you and the car(s). Sounds like a fun ride! I also believe they deserve to be driven so I appreciate your point of view.

Originally Posted by chuckdolf
If you're ever around the Pasadena area, contact me and I'll give you the 25 cent tour and take you for a ride. Right about NO lateral support in seats but I did put in seat belts so just cinch 'em tight. Also ditched the original steering wheel for a wood rim 16" (vs original 17) that looks MUCH nicer and gives a bit more thigh clearance. I'm 5'10" and with the seat back and the telescopic wheel in there's plenty of room. Over 6' and overweight, not so much. And did I mention the top is a royal pain in the **** to erect? It goes up for 3 things - HEAVY rain, COLD days, and Concours shows (required for judging).