XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
phil, you shoudn't need anything else but the 94-97 xj6 fascia, and that adapter you mentioned. The single-din radio just drops in. Your accessory buttons go right into the xj6 fascia like your original one did.

These are the exact two pieces I ordered. Really disappointed in both Covrntry West and the adaptor company. I ordered over a week ago and still haven't received either.
But now I'm concerned about the amp. My system says Alpine on tweeters on the doors so I'm assuming the amp is as well.
I'd really appreciate some advice on what it will consist of in replacing the alpine amp with a compatible amp for my JVC AVX77 head unit. Don't want my installer jacking the price for a possibly simple job. I'd like to go in armed with info since knowledge is power!! Lol he does sell JVC products as well as others so I know he'll have appropriate amps but I'd like to keep factory sound as much as possible.
Can the existing wiring be used and simply exchange alpine amp with after market unit? And where is the amp in my car? Is it easily accessed?
My installer is good but a bit flighty when it comes to expensive cars. If he gets scared off, I'm screwed! All I have left is Freeman's car audio and they are the worst, having botched three installs already.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Can the existing wiring be used and simply exchange alpine amp with after market unit? And where is the amp in my car? Is it easily accessed?
My installer is good but a bit flighty when it comes to expensive cars. If he gets scared off, I'm screwed! All I have left is Freeman's car audio and they are the worst, having botched three installs already.
The amp is over the CD changer in the trunk.

The wiring can be reused but it will not be plug and play. The wiring diagram is here: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1998.pdf

Please add your car info to your signature to help us help you more easily.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-23-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Default 2002 xk8

Thanks So much whitexkr!
I've got to change my profile anyway as I've changed cars since I joined, except the XF.
And I'm selling my restored 88 XJS as well.
Now I'm starting the XK8 project and plan to stop with this one. (Famous last words)
As for plug and play, I figured it wouldn't be that easy but as longg as the power and wiring is set up and just a matter of matching the diagram to new amp, he should not have any problems. He just didn't want to have to remove seats if located under.
Btw, I have a 2002 base xk8, soon to be stunning!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Default 2002 xk8

On a connected topic, I've never liked the plastic surrounds on the center control panels. They were the same as my x-type, long since gone.
In that car I ordered a dash kit from ebay in gloss black and only used the center console and it was amazing! Looked like the new XJ gloss panels.

Here's the point of this. I contacted the same seller and he has a kit for the XK8 but not for the early years with this replacement stereo panel. He's offered to custom make me a kit just for the center console if I send him the two panels to get a perfect fit. The climate control panel is the same so he has that pattern already. These self stick pieces are paino black with a VERY heavy poly coating.
I think this will really make the console look as it should and really tie in the newer head units that just look aftermarket with the gloss faces against flat plastic. And adding the chrome rings and shifter surround, all the offensive plastic should be a thing of the past.

He said turnaround would be about three days once he receives the fascia and adaptor. I'll post pics once done.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I thought you had a '98. You can downlad the 2002 wiring here: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2002.pdf

Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
On a connected topic, I've never liked the plastic surrounds on the center control panels. They were the same as my x-type, long since gone.
In that car I ordered a dash kit from ebay in gloss black and only used the center console and it was amazing! Looked like the new XJ gloss panels.

Here's the point of this. I contacted the same seller and he has a kit for the XK8 but not for the early years with this replacement stereo panel. He's offered to custom make me a kit just for the center console if I send him the two panels to get a perfect fit. The climate control panel is the same so he has that pattern already. These self stick pieces are paino black with a VERY heavy poly coating.
I think this will really make the console look as it should and really tie in the newer head units that just look aftermarket with the gloss faces against flat plastic. And adding the chrome rings and shifter surround, all the offensive plastic should be a thing of the past.

He said turnaround would be about three days once he receives the fascia and adaptor. I'll post pics once done.
Philhef

Any pictures of the piano black console yet?

regards

Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Great thread!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default nexxia adapter

no longer stocked according to the link. any of you UK members have a source for one or have one for sale?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by knowledge
no longer stocked according to the link. any of you UK members have a source for one or have one for sale?
Hi if you mean the wiring adapter then the PC99 is no longer available but the CT range works on my 1999 convertible (I had to replace the old PC99 one when I damaged it while welding)!

Jaguar XJ Steering Control interface

Dont forget the adapter to go with it to match your sterio.

regards

Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Default Update

Thought I would update you on a few changes.

Firstly whilst my car was in for some welding it damaged the aftermarket steering wheels controls adapter, which was out of production. I found a replacvement from Nexxia Jaguar XJ Steering Control interface it says up to 1998 but it works fine on my 1999.

I also decided to upgrade my head unit to a JVC AVX77 (Ipod in the glovebox), which with the graphics from Philhef https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...apture-105844/ means my centre consol looks like this.
1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00004.jpg

Moving on some of you will have notice the black mark under the clock, Its my patented satnav - mobile phone mounting system - velcro
1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00009.jpg

and it works great, no more clunky mounting kits
1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00008.jpg

This means I can use a phone based sat nav and by streaming music from the phone to the head unit, via bluetooth, the satnav interupts the music and plays the directions via the cars speakers. far easier to hear than a standalone satnav (especially when topless)
1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00011.jpg

This does mean the phone needs charging on long trips so I installed a 5vDc supply, powered off the lighter feed
1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00012.jpg

and that solved it
1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00014.jpg

In case your wondering the sat nav app is Sygic you pay once and updates for life. Far better than my old TomTom
1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00015.jpg

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00006.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img-20131121-00010.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wow---Nice Upgrade

Smoggy/H20Boy

Can I replace my OEM Premium Alpine unit with a JVC AVX77 or ADV49? Will these head units work with the Alpine AMP? If so is this a good parts list to complete the project?

JVC Head Unit AV77 or ADV49
XJ6 Trim
Facia Adapter - Nexxia
Steering Wheel Control CTSJG001.2 - Nexxia
Wiring Harness - I have absolutely no idea

Thanks....99

Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I did the same mod as H2Oboy and yes, either the AVX77 or ADV49 work well. The AVX77 is the new version of the ADV49, which us no longer made. However, you may still find it on eBay. I did this mid about a year and a half ago and am very happy with the result. As far as the details are concerned, H2Oboy I'd a better person to ask.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
sshowell99 (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Mark, I was concerned because I thought I read earlier that the JVC head unit would not work with the Alpine AMP. Still trying to decide whether to customize the car or leave it completely stock and go another route. One concern was operating the JVC because of the location of the screen. I have trouble with the OEM unit as it is. However, that being said you gain a tremendous amout of advantage with CD/DVD/Bluetooth etc etc. Thank you for the assistance. Oh yes, how did you wire the JVC up to the car? Is there a wiring harness available? Is there anything else I would need to complete the project? Thanks again

Old 01-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sshowell99
Thanks Mark, I was concerned because I thought I read earlier that the JVC head unit would not work with the Alpine AMP. Still trying to decide whether to customize the car or leave it completely stock and go another route. One concern was operating the JVC because of the location of the screen. I have trouble with the OEM unit as it is. However, that being said you gain a tremendous amout of advantage with CD/DVD/Bluetooth etc etc. Thank you for the assistance. Oh yes, how did you wire the JVC up to the car? Is there a wiring harness available? Is there anything else I would need to complete the project? Thanks again

I took mine to a stereo shop and they did the upgrade. I also, upgraded the sat/nav at the same time so it was a major upgrade. You can get a wiring harness from WhiteXKR's site (The Jag Wrangler). As for the rest, it would be best to talk to H2Oboy and/or WhiteXKR.

Mark

Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help with steering wheel controls

Hi i got a face plate and wiring harness through nexxia. its the one that plugs directly from the origional cars harness to the radio. It does have other leads off it coming from the factory harness. The diagram that it showes is it goes to the phone. My 97 xk8 doesn't have a phone. The radio we installed is a power accustic and there are no steering wheel conections. What do I need to do to get steering wheel functions?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I put 'my patented velcro strip' to the right of the clock as there is space there - but then i'm only using it for my iPod Touch - same charger via cigar lighter when required - i had a look at vent mounted holders - but who wants a hot iPod? (Don't answer that!) - hard to believe Jaguar was still sticking with tape decks ten years after the CD player arrived in cars - I had one of the 1st mp3 players in 1997 ( a massive 16MB memory - eight songs in a heavily compressed format) - so surely a bit of future proofing would have been in order - an aux option pullllease!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:46 PM

hii XKracer Congratulation with the face panel Its really well done You made it yourself . Right ? how did you made it I am interested to make the same

Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

No worries Marc.... It works on both early and later type of head unit and the pictures pretty much explain it...

Remove the fascia from your Jaguar head unit

Then cut the middle out roughly to the size of the new surround that comes with the new head unit

You need to put something behind all the gaps so the filler does not push through, you can use tape, plasticine, anything that can be easily removed

Once filled, paint black

When I make these they are expensive but as I am sure you will understand you are just paying for my time the fascia is free.....

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0776_zpsdc531af3.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0778_zps396f17b2.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0779_zps3c29393f.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0784_zpsf5ebfe79.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0791_zps2cc6f253.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by XKRacer:
blindside (05-01-2014), Jandreu (05-12-2014), smoggyx100 (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice clever idea XKRacer!!!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:58 AM

Thanks XKR racer Very good job Seems factory build

Quick Reply: 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls