XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Great job! Enjoy!!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow! Great job... I'm sure many here will find this extremely helpful.

Originally Posted by amiddlecott
hi,

Just wanted to update all that follow this thread and put all the info i pulled together in one place.

I decided Like so many others that I wanted to change the radio in my XKR to something more modern, i.e. Bluetooth connectivity etc. My wife's old Alpine CDE-104BTi with Bluetooth and Ipod controls fitted the bill, and it was free.

Before you start this, unlike me, take out your CD's from your CD player in the boot!!

Things to by, which do appear on earlier pages..

Cable Harness/ Adapter CTSJG001.2 Jaguar XJ Steering Control Interface Nexxia UK £25

Steering Control Adapter/ Connects2 Alpine Patch Lead £3.50

Facia Adapter FP-14-00 FP-14-00 Jaguar XJ Facia adaptor online at Nexxia UK £25

Earlier Central Console Switch Cover Moulding Part No LJA6318AB £35 from Jaguar

Antenna Lead adapter PC5-28, ISO to Din Antenna Adapter Cable PC5-28 £2.46

30 pin to lightning adapter £30

I also wanted to control when the Antenna went up so also got

Snap-in Miniature Round Rocker Switch Black, from Maplins £2.49

I also removed the Phone kit that came with the car and replaced with a larger 2nd hand Chubby hole off ebay.

After reviewing you tube clips on how to remove the centre console I made a start.
The console came out quite quickly, the radio/heating control's etc took a bit longer, just take your time and don't drop any screws.

The Cable Harness/ Adapter CTSJG001.2 does NOT come with a cable to power the antenna. It had a lead from the radio, blue, but nothing from the first connector to the Jag wiring loom!!

As it did not just work and I would need to do some additional work I decided I would fit a switch so that I could control when the antenna went up and down.

The original radio connector (IC-10) on the Jag Loom had a Light Green/Black wire, pin position 5. This is the wire that powers the antenna.

I cut into this and wired to the mini switch, the other side of the mini switch I connected to the blue wire off the Cable Harness/ Adapter CTSJG001.2.

I mounted the switch to the right of the J gate.

The radio came with an Iphone connector cable, of course an Iphone connector cable for an Iphone 4 not 5!!, so needed a 30 pin to lightning adapter. Ran this cable to then new Chubby hole, under the centre console.

Turned it all on and it worked!! Then came the task of putting the console back, making it look good and squeezing the cables and radio in a very small hole. Be aware the Jag wiring loom is covered with black webbing that gets everywhere if you unlucky. Gloves are essential to stop you spreading it.

All finished now, will try and add some pictures.

oh one more thing, the steering wheel control works fine with the radio changing volume and station etc but does not answer the phone when it rings I still have to press the phone symbol on the radio.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running into problems with harness compatibility

Hi,

I was reading this forum with great interest and decided to do the radio upgrade on my 2000 XKR (I think it is a 1999 model but the VIN check said it is 2000 ...). I ordered all items as listed on page 4 form Nexxia (the VIN number fitted the requirements stated on their website). The cables took three weeks to arrive and I finally go them Friday. So I went ahead to install the new radio today.

I did not get very far. After disassembling the console I noticed that the harness / cables do not fit. Below are two pictures of the radio back and the cables.

I searched for hours on the internet and in this forum to find some help or links. I found a picture of the same cables from a 2001 XJ8 model, but no more help. I do not have an amplifier in the trunk, so it's not a premium audio, is it? I have an (old) Motorola hand phone set in the middle console cubby box.

I am confused and would appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-plugs.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-radio.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 05:35 AM
Default Update

OK, found out that this radio is part of an upgrade in the 2000 XK/XJ models. (see attached file). (Still confused about the model: My car was bought in October 1999. When do they start the MY in the UK ???))

The radio has a switch somewhere on the casing and it is set to standard, so I don't have a premium version.

The only solution I found for this configuration was here:
There has been many posts on cha

That just became more than a quick DIY job. Furthermore, no steering wheel command integration and I don't know where the microphone cable goes. Part of the upgrade was apparently that the telephone module was put in the back due to some seat belt shock sensor thingy going into the middle between the seats. So I have to do some digging for the microphone cable.

Will put everything back into its original state and will wait for some holidays where I really have time to do it.

In the meantime, if someone has an alternative solution, please let me know.

Thanks!

Attached Files
Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

For the 1rst generation of XJ8 and XK8 radios (AJ9500) i have a (simple?)
solution for an aux-in.
You only have to open the unit and solder a cinch-cable on the tapedeck.
To find the correct points it´s better to use a magnifier,
the soldering points are marked(L-ch, S-ground, R).
For better contact i use another place for connecting/soldering the ground.
You can still use the tapedeck, for aux-in you have to insert a cassette without
a tape.
It could well be this solution works with the newer radios to.

PS: Sorry for my english,
my german is better.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0021.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0022.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0023.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0025.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0026.jpg  

1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0027.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0028.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0029.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
oyster (12-22-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

It is essential to isolate the cable well, the backplate becomes very hot.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-img_0030.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 10:02 PM

Well, thanks to this thread, I now have a spanking new stereo in the XK. It was a relatively painless install and works nicely.

I've used a JVC KD-X70BT mechless player with USB and SD capability, plus the ability to connect two phones at the same time (personal and work) so that solves my old problem of whichever phone isn't connected is the one that rings

On the downside, having put everything back together, I find I have a part left over and no idea where it came from. There's a picture of it attached in case any one else has a clue.

On top of that, the little flap that covers the cig lighter is now refusing to open, I wonder if the extra bit has any impact on that, or have I just messed up on reassembly?

1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-stereo.jpg1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-missing_link.jpg

Old 12-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I think that part goes under the armrest latch.

If the little door doesn't open, there is a wire getting in the way. Just pull the little tray from the inside of the armrest and you can move stuff/writes out of the way.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Bryan.R
Well, thanks to this thread, I now have a spanking new stereo in the XK. It was a relatively painless install and works nicely.

I've used a JVC KD-X70BT mechless player with USB and SD capability, plus the ability to connect two phones at the same time (personal and work) so that solves my old problem of whichever phone isn't connected is the one that rings

On the downside, having put everything back together, I find I have a part left over and no idea where it came from. There's a picture of it attached in case any one else has a clue.

On top of that, the little flap that covers the cig lighter is now refusing to open, I wonder if the extra bit has any impact on that, or have I just messed up on reassembly?

Attachment 103259Attachment 103258

Bryan.R (12-21-2014)
Old 05-11-2015, 11:23 AM

hi evrybody !
my name is jean jacque ( yes i m french !) so i hope you will faster forget my pore english ( no ggogl use !)
i have follow with a big interess the subjet about a stereo update for my XK8 .

after reading , i have buy a alpine idA X311 and a autoleads PC99-10 for the sterring wheel control ( and a alpine patch of course )
my model be the xkracer post :
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-56937/page3/

the perfect intégration for me !
but ( always a but ..) after the plugging of all and the following process of autoleads ...nothing !!
the stéreo is good as usual but no sterring wheel control !

somebody use to have problems this the pc99-X10 module ?
Best Regards from France !
jj

Old 06-29-2015, 04:16 PM
GDW

Hi, the nexia faceplate that you mentioned - was that the one they have for the XJ? when I looked they say they have no products for a 2000 XK8 (my car) - thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GDW
Hi, the nexia faceplate that you mentioned - was that the one they have for the XJ? when I looked they say they have no products for a 2000 XK8 (my car) - thanks in advance.
Hi
yes its the XJ part

GDW (06-30-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer

Once filled, paint black

I think I'll go this route. What is that 2nd piece behind the front radio fascia? I haven't taken anything apart yet, but I assume this piece is already behind the radio, which would serve to support the rear weight of the aftermarket head unit? Do you have a picture of this piece in its original state (unmodified)?

Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello you all. My compliments to all of you for your genius innovations. Based on all you have done inspired me to do the change in my 97 XK8. My question is, been a 97, if the Cable Harness/ Adapter CTSJG001.2 Jaguar XJ Steering Control Interface will work. Haven't seen any work in a 97 here (if there is I may had missed it) and all indications from Nexxia and other suppliers states from 98 forward. I plan to install a JVC AVX 77 or a Kenwood KDC-BT858U and plan to do my own fascia as per XKRacer tutorial and will keep the existing speakers; the ones from the back were changed a year ago. Again, will the CTSJG001.2 will work on my 97? Any other parts I may need? Thanks in adavance for your help. People like you make this forum awesome!!!

Last edited by Felipe Pr; 10-02-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Felipe Pr
Hello you all. My compliments to all of you for your genius innovations. Based on all you have done inspired me to do the change in my 97 XK8. My question is, been a 97, if the Cable Harness/ Adapter CTSJG001.2 Jaguar XJ Steering Control Interface will work. Haven't seen any work in a 97 here (if there is I may had missed it) and all indications from Nexxia and other suppliers states from 98 forward. I plan to install a JVC AVX 77 or a Kenwood KDC-BT858U and plan to do my own fascia as per XKRacer tutorial and will keep the existing speakers; the ones from the back were changed a year ago. Again, will the CTSJG001.2 will work on my 97? Any other parts I may need? Thanks in adavance for your help. People like you make this forum awesome!!!
Felipe:

I will soon replace the stereo on my '97 convertible. I found lots of data for '98 and later. My approach was to email Nexxia in England. They were helpful with their response:

"According to our data, yes the CTSJG001.2 will work with the 97 model XK8, and yes we do ship to USA.

You should also be able to use Fascia adaptor FP-14-00.
Jaguar XJ Radio Fascia Adaptor"

They also suggested a brand-specific connector for my replacement head unit. Here is their email address and website.
technical@nexxia.co.uk
www.nexxia.co.uk

Good luck!
Tom

Felipe Pr (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Tom, It also happened to me that all information directed to 98 and later and there were no mentioning of 97's. Good to have the confirmation from Nexxia. Thanks again.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Was getting all ready to tackle a single-din install in my '99 VDP over the Christmas holidays but you guys have got me scared out of my mind! Hahaha this looks like way more than I bargained for!

Quick question: Will that XJ6 fascia adapter work in my XJ8 as well to give it the same clean/stock look or is it XK compatible only?

Last edited by KidRock'n; 11-23-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:00 AM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone tried a Pioneer system? I've been recommended this unit - Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB Car Stereo - but don't want to buy one unless it will work of course. Any comments or experience welcomed!