XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XK8 After Market Steering Wheel NRG Vintage

Old 11-23-2014, 03:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2000 XK8 After Market Steering Wheel NRG Vintage

Parts list:
Nardi-Personal Steering Wheel Hub Adapter (Boss) Kit - Jaguar XJ8 (1998-2002) Part # CA/5275 M

NRG CLASSIC (RETRO) WOOD GRAIN 360MM STEERING WHEEL WITH CHROME 3-SPOKE CENTER
Part # ST-360-SL

Pros: looks 1000% better than stock. Driving position is improved, I no longer have rub my head on the ceiling because the wheel now comes back far enough. Woodgrain is perfect match. Steering feel is better (i wasn't expecting this).

Cons: Rim is narrower than I would like but it is a fairly inexpensive wheel. now that the Hub Boss is in place if I want to swap to a Nardi or something more substantial it is an easy deal. Airbag is gone.--- but the light is not illuminated since the kit comes with a resistor to trick the system. Loss of Cruise and radio buttons.... I bought an extra set to toy around with retrofitting but I haven't really missed either yet.

Last edited by kingfishgrapejam; 11-23-2014 at 03:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EnigmaX100R (03-01-2020)
Old 11-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Hello, curious modification, I guess your reasons will have to put another wheel to the original, I'll give my humble opinion and I think this change in my opinion does not sit well because it is too glaring controls lights, flashing and wipers, also give up the steering wheel-mounted cruise control, the hifi and you run out airbag, but as they say around here "to taste the colors were made" and if you have your reasons and consider controls that this better be it.
A greeting.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

Welcome to the forum kingfishgrapejam,

Motor vehicle test regulation must be a lot more relaxed in LV. You wouldn't get away with that on this side of the Atlantic!

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,320 Likes on 734 Posts

OK, I like the wheel and can see putting it on a competition car, just not practical on a daily driver as far as safety concerns. I have one on my TR6.
How do you get it by inspection?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks very nice and sporty.
I very much hope you don't get in a situation where you wished you still had the airbag!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Love to see individual modifications and salute you for the work. As long as you are happy that's all that matters however as other have said I don't think it suits the XK8 at all, very retro looking but not in line with the XK8 styling.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Sorry I guess I should have left off the statement that it looks better than stock. I'm sure posting those words left the impression that I was looking for a debate on aesthetics, I am not.

This was a project where I couldn't find any info on the hub boss throughout the various forums or even manufacturer sites. I posted the part numbers and photos for posterity, nothing else.

Last edited by kingfishgrapejam; 11-24-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kingfishgrapejam

This was a project where I couldn't find any info on the hub boss throughout the various forums or even manufacturer sites. I posted the part numbers and photos for posterity, nothing else.
And we thank you for that.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Sorry I guess I should have left off the statement that it looks better than stock. I'm sure posting those words left the impression that I was looking for a debate on aesthetics, I am not.

Yes, thanks for the info, I was not meaning to be critical. When you post on a forum like this everyone will have opiums. That's what sharing is about, likes and dislikes. It matters not what I or anyone else things as long as you like it.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My opinion was not detract from their work, on the contrary, I think it's great and also is welcome to share it with all of us, what happens is that whenever we see something that makes someone want to move to our tastes and therefore not one has to be right, so I would appreciate you not get discouraged and continue to share with us their experiences.
A greeting.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent! Been trying to find a boss kit for ages and its great to see one that fits now.

This is for all of us that do not like the tractor wheel size and would prefer something slightly more modern... great work...

Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool modification!

Ive always considered doing such a thing on my XJR for I always thought the airbag cover was massive but as the jag is my daily driver and is often driven here in the chaos of New York City, I aired on the side of caution and had to let safety win over the simple and clean aesthetics of a classic wood wheel like yours!

Old 02-26-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Hub Adapter?

I am planning on changing my steering wheel as well. What hub adapter did you use. I have tried to look up the part number you used in the thread, but it does not show up on any search. Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

Mick

Old 02-26-2020, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,320 Likes on 734 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by cjd777:
DavidYau (02-27-2020), Mick Rose (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by cjd777

mine was made by nardi as listed above not sure if they still make them. This place seems to though https://www.flashpowerparts.com/jagu...-polished.html. Just make store you get the right model, not sure where that link points to. The nardi one is collapsible in case of collision though.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:48 AM
Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

My wood steering wheel was in poor condition. I figured some day it get the wood re-lacquered and the leather replaced, but I quite like the all leather steering wheel. Feels and looks much better in my opinion. I think the two tone steering wheel is too much. New old stock for $200.

kingfishgrapejam (03-02-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:17 AM
Received 193 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Motor vehicle test regulation must be a lot more relaxed in LV. You wouldn't get away with that on this side of the Atlantic!
Graham
The beauty of Nevada is the immense amount of personal space and freedom here.
This interesting modification violates no Nevada vehicle testing regulations as, aside from emissions testing in the "urban" areas, there are none.
In fact, in this pro-business state, significant vehicle modifications are required to support the extensive off-road mining, oil & gas, nuclear, military, agricultural, and archeology operations here.
Consequently, on the road here you get to see some amazing modified, lifted and off-road vehicles here that wouldn't look at all out of place in a Mad Max movie. 'Merica! F-Yeah!

That said, as I understand it, insurance coverage levels for any agreed upon rate are based upon a shared understanding of the vehicles safety features, their performance under initial testing and their statistical performance over time.
If one party unilaterally significantly alters this without informing the other, it provides the second party the option of challenging any physical or bodily damage claims that may be made under that policy.
So, as with any modification away from stock specifications, if you let your insurance company (IC) know about it and they are OK covering this modification, then you shoud have little to worry about with respect to your own personal coverage.
That should also cover you in the scenario where you are not at fault for the collision itself, but the other party's IC assigns you a certain percentage of responsibility for the magnitude of your injury costs due to your de-safety modification, as your IC should pick up the difference since they agreed to cover the vehicle in the modified state.

However, if you don't inform your IC, then you've given your IC (or, in the second scenario, AND the other party's IC) an open door to decline coverage of your medical expenses should you be involved in a injury collision.

For me, the bottom line is that this modification is innovative and looks cool, but it's certainly not anything worth risking my insurance coverage over.

I should note that I am not an insurance professional and have only reluctantly had to learn about insurance practices after being hit by a number of inattentive drivers in the past few years. Hopefully there are some insurance experts on the list here who can set straight anything I might have stated incorrectly above.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:10 AM

How about I just don’t wreck it.

EnigmaX100R (03-01-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:54 AM
Received 275 Likes on 158 Posts

I like that idea and I like the look of the wheel. That is very retro. I wouldn't like to loose the buttons but it looks great.
I really hate when big brother gets his nose in our business. Not too bad here in OH. Many mods are OK. TM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 XK8 After Market Steering Wheel NRG Vintage