Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 xk8 restricted performance p0300 p1316

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

No I do not but I am sure any additional information from the car should give us direction. Anything at this point would be guesswork.

Originally Posted by Hi-Velo-Sid-E
Hi Gus, yes this is what I intend on doing asap.

Do you have any ideas about the Cold start events I described above?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Old 03-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

just a thought try hooking up a charger to the battery for a day and let the battery get a really full charge a battery at about 75% charge will start throwing all kinds of codes .

Old 03-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfpck1
just a thought try hooking up a charger to the battery for a day and let the battery get a really full charge a battery at about 75% charge will start throwing all kinds of codes .
Hi wolfpck1, the battery is brand new with a full charge.

Thank you,
Sid

Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
No I do not but I am sure any additional information from the car should give us direction. Anything at this point would be guesswork.

The codes I mentioned are the ones mentioned in the Jaguar dealership invoice, and were also the onse that came up just before i left the dealership when i asked a tech to check them again for me when they brought me the car.

The cars been parked since, i only start it up once or twice a day.

Thanks,
Sid

Old 03-02-2015, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

From what I see in the codes PDF P1316 is a multiple misfire code.

If the car is just started and run briefly each day all you'll do is nothing or damage to the engine & cats.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
From what I see in the codes PDF P1316 is a multiple misfire code.

If the car is just started and run briefly each day all you'll do is nothing or damage to the engine & cats.
I am only doing that now because i just got the car back from the Jaguar dealership service department.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2015, 11:48 PM

Flashing MIL is likely misfires so bad they're damaging the cat(s). Find the misfire(s) urgently.

Fuel trims or smoke test will show if it's an air leak rather than (say) bad coil(s)
Hi JagV8, where can the air be leaking from?

and

How are a fuel trim and smoke test performed please?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Have you gotten the torque app and elm bluetooth, this will be very handy on debugging your car, app is free and adapters are cheap (though beware too cheap since they tend to not work well) Viewing Fuel trims here might be helpful

Yup missed the P0300 in my post I read these posts with my morning coffee sometimes very early in the day when the mind and keyboard are not fully sync'd.
Hi Jamdmyers, I have been looking at the elm327 on ebay for days and there are so many but none specify which actually work on an 99 xk8 and the sellers don't know for certain either, which one do you know of that works please? Can you please send me an ebay link to it?

Thank you,
Sid

Old 03-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

There are some threads on the forum about this, I've purchased mine some time ago and spent more than most (mine has a extended cable ) so I would say most will work but don't buy the cheapest. $5-$10 should get you what you need. BLuetooth ELM327 protocol will work with jaguar, problem is the cheap elm327 units are not built to spec or use inferior components.
One NOTE: If you use a Iphone to run the monitor app you will need a WIFI ELM not bluetooth since the apple bluetooth stack is designed a bit differently.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

They're so cheap you may as well buy one and see if it works. Or spend forever reading what others found.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:09 AM

look and see if the throttle cable has a lot of slack in it... the idle may be a little low creating a low voltage situation at idle triggering a restricted performance event. tightened mine and havnt had it come back yet ....also clean the throttle body mine had a lot of varnish looking deposits in it .

Old 03-13-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by wolfpck1
look and see if the throttle cable has a lot of slack in it... the idle may be a little low creating a low voltage situation at idle triggering a restricted performance event. tightened mine and havnt had it come back yet ....also clean the throttle body mine had a lot of varnish looking deposits in it .
Hi Wolfpck1, that's something one would have to have gone through to figure out, very kind of you to share that insight, I will take a looksy at mine tomorrow.

Just incase it isn't obvious when I get to it, how do I tighten it if it's loose?

Thanks alot, much appreciated,
Sid

Old 03-13-2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
There are some threads on the forum about this, I've purchased mine some time ago and spent more than most (mine has a extended cable ) so I would say most will work but don't buy the cheapest. $5-$10 should get you what you need. BLuetooth ELM327 protocol will work with jaguar, problem is the cheap elm327 units are not built to spec or use inferior components.
One NOTE: If you use a Iphone to run the monitor app you will need a WIFI ELM not bluetooth since the apple bluetooth stack is designed a bit differently.
They're so cheap you may as well buy one and see if it works. Or spend forever reading what others found.
Hi guys, it seems they're all made in China anyway. I'll just try to narrow them down by checking feedbacks etc, then order one and get Torque for my android.

Thanks alot, much appreciated,
Sid

Old 03-14-2015, 07:10 AM

depends on how its mounted mine was on an arm. you unloosen the arm and turn it to tighten the cable then reattach

Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 PM

Hi I ordered 2 cans of BG-44k from an ebay seller with decent feedbacks, got them and noticed the label was stuck on the can a little off, opened it up then poured a clear liquid into my family van then took the other can and poured it in the Jag tank.

Prior to that I tried calling BG at the number posted at their website, but all i got was an infomercial recording for other useless non related stuff, then i called another number they suggested on their recording, still more stupid recorded infomercials, then i called one of their local distributors in Port St Lucie Florida and some woman answered that didn't know anything about the product and offered to have someone call me back the next day because everyone was out for training she said, so what kind of stupid way of running a company is this? How is it possible that one cannot contact BG by phone and yet they're selling their product like hot cakes?

So far I don't see any benefit to the possibly authentic/non-authentic BG-44k I received, the van gets the advertised fuel rating mileage but still idles a little rough after consuming almost a full tank mixed with the stuff and the Jag i can't really drive because of the restricted Performance issue.

So how can one tell if the BG-44k ordered online is authentic and not a dollar store injector cleaner can with a fake BG-44k label, and where does everyone raving about the stuff purchase a certain to be authentic BG-44k?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 03-27-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 PM

The update: as I mentioned above, i added a possible BG-44k, cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF cleaner, and cleaned the Throttle Body with CRC throttle body cleaner by also stuffing the throttle body throat with a rag so that no dirt goes into the intake, then let everything dry overnight

The end result is that the car now drive worse, it idles more rough than ever, and sometimes when I raise the idle the restriced performance goes away for a bit and sometimes I can still hear a miss at 2000 rpm and sometimes not, and then the RP returns so I let it idle a bit then I shut the engine off.

I ordered a mini bluetooth ELM327 but it cant find the protocol for both my vehicle with the Torque light app.

Here is a link to the ELM327 i purchased, they sell for alot more on ebay and i got it in about a week, also this seller has many good reviews about this product and confirmed it will work on the 99 Jag XK8 and my Chrysler van, as it say in their ad as well... 2015 New Super Mini Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner With Power Switch Works on Android Symbian Windows ELM 327-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Thanks alot,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 03-27-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:09 AM

About the ELM327s, I don't think judging an ELM327 by price really guarantees anything considering many USA sellers sell marked up China stuff anyway and many do work fine from what I have read.

I have read the posts on this site about ELM327 that work but have yet to see a current link to a specific seller of an ELM327 that the poster claims really works.

I did see one list of some OBD2s that were stated as working/compatible but they were all pricey, so where are the ones purchased cheaply and claimed to work, who is the seller and where is the link? Seems to be alot of yak but without links to any specific model of any specific ELM327.

So how to really get one that works at the best possibe price?

While i wait for a possible response to hear from another member i will keep trying then post my results with a link to the sellers ad.

Until then I guess I will maybe chance driving to a shop that pulls codes for free, hopefully this drag Jag won't disintegrate on its way there or back.

BTW
For those that think I am being cheap, that's not it, i'm just tired of throwing so much energy and cash into the Jag pit. All the wasted time, labor I put in, new parts I installed, and almost a thousand bucks at the Alpine Jag steal/deal-erships in Fort Lauderdale for an intermitent no start no crank which ended up being a loose pin on the end of a exciter ring connector wire, then them giving the car back to me with an RP I never had since owning the car and no diagnostic on why nor an estimate for repairs, and them telling me they don't want to work on it anymore because I questioned why they started with a charge for and change of the BPM instead of checking the line of the workings from where it starts, as the second tech did the second time they took it in and found the issue located at the exciter ring connection, where I asked if was checked and they responded it was, when they wanted to sell me on the idea of me approving the BPM job the first time they took it in.

I contacted Jaguars USA head office and told them what transpired and they called the steal/deal-ership, but then got back to me with, "we cannot force our dealerships to do anything but thanks for letting us know".

So to every **** Jag owner out there, don't expect the head office to oversee the steal/deal-erships ethics nor for them to be concerned about how **** Jag owners are being treated by the steal/deal-erships.

I went there with the intention to pay their higher labor charge to get a Jag expert, and the only problem I ever had with it, the intermittent no crank no start problem resolved once and for all so that i can finally get back to enjoying my car, and most importantly my young son felt it a treat to go for a ride in the Jaguaaaaar, and I wanted to give him that which he so deserved, but then after paying a more than hefty sum to resolve that issue, that looking back on it, now shows any corner garage could have done it for an hour minimum labor charge or even taken me for two hours at most, they had the nerve to ungratefully give the car back to me with a restricted performance and they had an attitude about it to boot.

So since the RP came suddenly from when they gave the car back to me, i have no logical way, history, or line of events experienced while using the car to base myself on as to how the RP came to be. Is it because of something hidden they caused that i can search for forever and never find or is it something that would usually cause an RP?

I have owned from daily user cars to drag 700hp racing cars to sporty cars, and never have i owned a car that i couldn't fix on my own or at a reasonable cost, this car, its maker, and servicers take the cake.
So i feel that throwing more and more cash at this new RP issue, possibly to find the unfindable, and while the car year and model value is going down is a total waste of cash, and to be honest, the thrill of ownership is fading away.

Thanks alot,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 03-29-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:37 AM

BTW, I wonder why in the previous post when i spelled in one word the word dealership as s t e a l e r s h i p , when i posted it, it came out as -------p in the thread??? Does this site have an association or agreement with Jaguar or what? Its not like I was throwing the F-word out there, i was merely expressing my opinion on the way they dealt with me, last I checked I am in the USA with a freedom to express myself as I see fit and without cursing.

What's next, deleting the whole post? Banning me from this site?

Thanks

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 03-29-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Sid, I'm going to be honest here. If you had invested in a very expensive OBD ll in the beginning of your trouble, finding a bent pin in the exciter ring would not have been found. The best of us would have had a hell of a time finding that.
Now, the trouble you are having since and the frustration with the Jag people is no more than anyone else would feel.
Please understand that a lot of people are trying to help you and the modern cars are controlled by sensors and that is why there are so many code readers out there.
Harbor Freight and Advance and others sale a pretty good one and if you are going to keep this car or any car made since 1996 you will have lots of uses for it, as you like to do your own work. They will not be the answer to all but will generally lead you in the right direction.
Give yourself some credit, you have done and learned a few things that makes you a good candidate to help others as we have been trying to help you.

Wayne

The following users liked this post:
Hi-Velo-Sid-E (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

As I posted some other time I purchased one some time ago, and wanted a longer cable, here's one for amazon of what I bought and works but it's 75$
Amazon.com: PLX Devices 'PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi' Car to Smartphone Connection ELM327 Compatible: Automotive Amazon.com: PLX Devices 'PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi' Car to Smartphone Connection ELM327 Compatible: Automotive

The following users liked this post:
Hi-Velo-Sid-E (03-29-2015)

Quick Reply: 99 xk8 restricted performance p0300 p1316