Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 75
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default ABS speed sensor resistance values?

I measured the abs speed sensors resistance values and they were all 5 ohms or so. All 4 of them are that way.

I was under the impression the resistance reading should be 2K ohms or so?
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...heet%20XK8.pdf

Does this mean that all 4 sensors are dead? Any thoughts or recommendations?
__________________
2000 XJR
1997 XK8

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Dennis07's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 976
Thanked 135 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagYi View Post
I measured the abs speed sensors resistance values and they were all 5 ohms or so. All 4 of them are that way.

I was under the impression the resistance reading should be 2K ohms or so?
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...heet%20XK8.pdf

Does this mean that all 4 sensors are dead? Any thoughts or recommendations?
Seems pretty unlikely that all would fail in the same way. 2k ohms, or 1k ohms in later cars, would be expected.

Maybe double-check your measurement procedure. But if they really are all ~ 5 ohms then, yes, it appears they're all bad.
__________________
Dennis
2003 XK8: BRG, conv. top voltage reducer & manual-latch mod, antenna over-ride, rear window control mod, Adamesh stainless grill, factory wind deflector
1962 MGA 1600 MK II: 1989 restoration, still a head-turner
1997 HD FLHR: Andrews cam, Mikuni, one low-sider but you'd never know it
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 AM
nine7xk8's Avatar
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

you should make sure you are measuring those things right. i think they are working ok
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 AM
The Coupe's Avatar
Veteran Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,121
Thanked 247 Times in 176 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine7xk8 View Post
you should make sure you are measuring those things right. i think they are working ok
He's right...these tiny little parts are more expensive than they should be. Gaudin (one of our forum sponsors, with consistently good pricing) has them priced at $ 211 each. There are no moving parts to these things...very simple...it's hard to imagine a scenario where they would ALL go away on you.
__________________

1997 Jaguar XK8 Coupe, Sherwood Green / Coffee
- The 114th XK8 off the assembly line in Coventry, June 1996
- 123,000 miles and growling nicely
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: solihull uk
Posts: 648
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coupe View Post
He's right...these tiny little parts are more expensive than they should be. Gaudin (one of our forum sponsors, with consistently good pricing) has them priced at $ 211 each. There are no moving parts to these things...very simple...it's hard to imagine a scenario where they would ALL go away on you.
Ill bet that you can buy an half decent mechanical stylish watch in the usa for $211 so how can sombody charge the same for a bit of plastic with a few inches of copper wire...IT A RIP OFF
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM
WhiteXKR's Avatar
Veteran Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington VA USA
Posts: 5,403
Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw View Post
Ill bet that you can buy an half decent mechanical stylish watch in the usa for $211 so how can sombody charge the same for a bit of plastic with a few inches of copper wire...IT A RIP OFF
Still waaaay overpriced, but there is a device called a Hall effect sensor inside that bit of plastic.
__________________
Website: http://www.thejagwrangler.com/ Accessories and upgrades for your Jaguar XK, XK8, XKR and XJ X308

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen, Rear Window Control Mod, Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK conv., Remote Top Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilv7kW6yN6I
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 75
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine7xk8 View Post
you should make sure you are measuring those things right. i think they are working ok
I ended up taking one of the abs sensor out and measured the two pins right on the sensor. The result is about 4.7 ohms.

I measures the 3 metal strips at the bottom of the sensor.
end to end strip = 70ohms
end to middle strip = 40 ohms

oh well, seems like all dead sensors
__________________
2000 XJR
1997 XK8

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: solihull uk
Posts: 648
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteXKR View Post
Still waaaay overpriced, but there is a device called a Hall effect sensor inside that bit of plastic.
hall effect sensors cost pennys to make.the basics of the abs senors are very simple a rotating device ( cogged thingy thats what sam called it) rotating induces a small voltage in the winding in the tip of the abs sensor this is picked up by the hall effect device sent to the cars computer.i would think that they cost 10 max to make ITS A RIP OFF
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
WhiteXKR's Avatar
Veteran Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington VA USA
Posts: 5,403
Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw View Post
hall effect sensors cost pennys to make.the basics of the abs senors are very simple a rotating device ( cogged thingy thats what sam called it) rotating induces a small voltage in the winding in the tip of the abs sensor this is picked up by the hall effect device sent to the cars computer.i would think that they cost 10 max to make ITS A RIP OFF
I am agreeing with you.
__________________
Website: http://www.thejagwrangler.com/ Accessories and upgrades for your Jaguar XK, XK8, XKR and XJ X308

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen, Rear Window Control Mod, Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK conv., Remote Top Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilv7kW6yN6I
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 75
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Hmm, what am I doing wrong?

I measured my perfectly fine 2000 XJR's ABS module harness and got the same 5 ohms for resistance. Yes 5 ohms, NOT 5K ohms.

Pins 3,4
Pins 6,7
Pins 17,18
Pins 21,22

Right? Am I not measuring this correctly somehow?
__________________
2000 XJR
1997 XK8

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Your meter could be off. Changed the battery lately? When I was troubleshooting a short in one of my sensor wires, mine were all reading 1.13K.
__________________
2004 XK8 Convertible
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 AM
plums's Avatar
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: on-the-edge
Posts: 6,782
Thanked 993 Times in 796 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagYi View Post
I measured the abs speed sensors resistance values and they were all 5 ohms or so. All 4 of them are that way.

I was under the impression the resistance reading should be 2K ohms or so?
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...heet%20XK8.pdf

Does this mean that all 4 sensors are dead? Any thoughts or recommendations?
It is implausible that you got 4 sensors dying at the same time.

So, check the way you are using your meter. Measure a few things with known resistances. If you have to, buy a 1k ohm resistor and measure that to confirm you are operating your meter correctly.

Then, clean out the connectors at the sensor using contact cleaner and let them dry.

Measure and look for 1040 to 1160 ohms directly across the two pins on the sensor with the harness disconnected according to JTIS.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 AM
 
 
 
Reply



Tags
1k, abs, bad, good, harness, jaguar, ohm, ohms, reading, resistance, sensor, sensors, speed, testing, xk8



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Copyright © 2010 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
JAGUAR and its logo are the registered trademarks of Jaguar Cars Limited. Jaguar Cars Limited is not affiliated with JaguarForums.com.