Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 AM

Default ABS speed sensor resistance values?

I measured the abs speed sensors resistance values and they were all 5 ohms or so. All 4 of them are that way.

I was under the impression the resistance reading should be 2K ohms or so?
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...heet%20XK8.pdf

Does this mean that all 4 sensors are dead? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagYi View Post
I measured the abs speed sensors resistance values and they were all 5 ohms or so. All 4 of them are that way.

Seems pretty unlikely that all would fail in the same way. 2k ohms, or 1k ohms in later cars, would be expected.

Maybe double-check your measurement procedure. But if they really are all ~ 5 ohms then, yes, it appears they're all bad.
1997 HD FLHR: Andrews cam, Mikuni, Dyna ign., Kerkers, one low-sider but you'd never know it
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 AM

you should make sure you are measuring those things right. i think they are working ok
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine7xk8 View Post
you should make sure you are measuring those things right. i think they are working ok
He's right...these tiny little parts are more expensive than they should be. Gaudin (one of our forum sponsors, with consistently good pricing) has them priced at $ 211 each. There are no moving parts to these things...very simple...it's hard to imagine a scenario where they would ALL go away on you.

1997 Jaguar XK8 Coupe, Sherwood Green / Coffee

- According to Jaguar Heritage, my car was assembled on 13 May 1996, in a pre-volume build group of 111 cars for management evaluation and photography.
- This group of "4P" cars featured all options and represented all international markets. The first true customer XK8 was produced 23 days later.
- The engine was assembled on 15 March 1996, in the first two weeks of AJ26 4.0 engine production.
- 125,000 miles, modified and growling nicely!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coupe View Post
He's right...these tiny little parts are more expensive than they should be. Gaudin (one of our forum sponsors, with consistently good pricing) has them priced at $ 211 each. There are no moving parts to these things...very simple...it's hard to imagine a scenario where they would ALL go away on you.
Ill bet that you can buy an half decent mechanical stylish watch in the usa for $211 so how can sombody charge the same for a bit of plastic with a few inches of copper wire...IT A RIP OFF
Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw View Post
Ill bet that you can buy an half decent mechanical stylish watch in the usa for $211 so how can sombody charge the same for a bit of plastic with a few inches of copper wire...IT A RIP OFF
Still waaaay overpriced, but there is a device called a Hall effect sensor inside that bit of plastic.

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen,Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK Conv. w/ Remote Top, One Touch Top, Rear Window control - AVAILABLE NOW!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine7xk8 View Post
I ended up taking one of the abs sensor out and measured the two pins right on the sensor. The result is about 4.7 ohms.

I measures the 3 metal strips at the bottom of the sensor.
end to end strip = 70ohms
end to middle strip = 40 ohms

oh well, seems like all dead sensors

Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteXKR View Post
Still waaaay overpriced, but there is a device called a Hall effect sensor inside that bit of plastic.
hall effect sensors cost pennys to make.the basics of the abs senors are very simple a rotating device ( cogged thingy thats what sam called it) rotating induces a small voltage in the winding in the tip of the abs sensor this is picked up by the hall effect device sent to the cars computer.i would think that they cost 10 max to make ITS A RIP OFF
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw View Post
hall effect sensors cost pennys to make.the basics of the abs senors are very simple a rotating device ( cogged thingy thats what sam called it) rotating induces a small voltage in the winding in the tip of the abs sensor this is picked up by the hall effect device sent to the cars computer.i would think that they cost 10 max to make ITS A RIP OFF
I am agreeing with you.

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen,Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK Conv. w/ Remote Top, One Touch Top, Rear Window control - AVAILABLE NOW!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM

Hmm, what am I doing wrong?

I measured my perfectly fine 2000 XJR's ABS module harness and got the same 5 ohms for resistance. Yes 5 ohms, NOT 5K ohms.

Pins 3,4
Pins 6,7
Pins 17,18
Pins 21,22

Right? Am I not measuring this correctly somehow?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Your meter could be off. Changed the battery lately? When I was troubleshooting a short in one of my sensor wires, mine were all reading 1.13K.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,092 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagYi View Post

It is implausible that you got 4 sensors dying at the same time.

So, check the way you are using your meter. Measure a few things with known resistances. If you have to, buy a 1k ohm resistor and measure that to confirm you are operating your meter correctly.

Then, clean out the connectors at the sensor using contact cleaner and let them dry.

Measure and look for 1040 to 1160 ohms directly across the two pins on the sensor with the harness disconnected according to JTIS.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 AM

Tags
1k, abs, bad, good, harness, jaguar, ohm, ohms, reading, resistance, sensor, sensors, speed, testing, xk8