XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for Wind Screen Deflector for my 2006 XKR?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice for Wind Screen Deflector for my 2006 XKR?

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a Wind Screen Deflector for my 2006 XKR and would love some feedback on which you recommend and how well they work. And also whether they can be easily removed without tools.

Saw this one: Jaguar XK8 XKR 97-2006 Wind Screen Deflector Stop | eBay on eBay, but it looks like it requires drilling so would certainly love some feedback before ordering...

Thanks

Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i just bought the exact same easy to fit and realy does make a big difference

Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 PM

did you need to drill holes? you can raise the top when the wind deflector is up, right?
Found some old posts mentioning this one too: Welsh Enterprises, Inc - Jaguar XK8 / XKR (97-06) Accessories Parts - Wind Deflector - XK8

Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I have the Welsh unit. It helps significantly and adds to the comfort with the top down. It requires drilling, but it is in a hidden area under the trim and not visible once the trim is put back in place.

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I have the Welsh unit. It helps significantly and adds to the comfort with the top down. It requires drilling, but it is in a hidden area under the trim and not visible once the trim is put back in place.
So it can be removed, and no one will ever be able to tell?

Oh, and can you still have the seats all the way back in the front with this installed?

Thanks,

George

Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
So it can be removed, and no one will ever be able to tell?

Oh, and can you still have the seats all the way back in the front with this installed?

Thanks,

George
For 'casual' removal, there are black brackets that remain in place and will still show. If you want to remove it for a car show or to sell the car, yes, you just remove the trim, unbolt the black brackets and replace the trim and there is no evidence (well if you are REALLY picky, the bolt covers may leave a slight depression in the trim foam).

Yes, the seats still go all the way back, there is plenty of room.

wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
For 'casual' removal, there are black brackets that remain in place and will still show. If you want to remove it for a car show or to sell the car, yes, you just remove the trim, unbolt the black brackets and replace the trim and there is no evidence (well if you are REALLY picky, the bolt covers may leave a slight depression in the trim foam).

Yes, the seats still go all the way back, there is plenty of room.
Perfect.... That's what I needed to hear. Thanks again!

Now, the ultimate question. Think they will sell me one windscreen, and two hardware kits? Yes I'm about to add a 2nd xk8 to the fleet. One I can drive without being paranoid that someone is going to hit / dent / scratch or otherwise destroy.

Take care,

George

wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

George--I am just a couple of miles away from the Mina shop and I can try and stop by and see about extra hardware, etc.

From the pics it looks virtually identical to the one that Welsh sells. I have that one (bought it from another Forum member) and have never quite figured out how to make the larger piece stand straight up--versus sloping towards the rear (look for my other posts about this).

The installation was really pretty easy and only requires drilling ONE hole in a piece of metal beneath the casing trim on the driver's side so that you can mount one of the brackets (the other bracket easily mounts since there is already a hole in the metal piece on the other side). You never see this piece of metal again.

Doug

Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
George--I am just a couple of miles away from the Mina shop and I can try and stop by and see about extra hardware, etc.

From the pics it looks virtually identical to the one that Welsh sells. I have that one (bought it from another Forum member) and have never quite figured out how to make the larger piece stand straight up--versus sloping towards the rear (look for my other posts about this).

The installation was really pretty easy and only requires drilling ONE hole in a piece of metal beneath the casing trim on the driver's side so that you can mount one of the brackets (the other bracket easily mounts since there is already a hole in the metal piece on the other side). You never see this piece of metal again.

Doug
That would be great. If I could get one deflector with two sets of brackets so I could swap it I'd do it.

Thanks in advance,

George

Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 PM

So I bought the welsh unit, which I received promptly. The installation guide is a hand-made document that's been photocopied a million times, so the B&W pics are impossible to view. Does anyone have an electronic version of it? I can probably figure out, but I like to know I've done things correctly.
Thx
Vincent

wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

George--I stopped by Mina yesterday. First I showed him my deflector (Welsh) which looks similar to the one they sell. He said the only difference appeared to be the twisted brackets and he said mine looked better than the ones that come with his kit (he said his were basically just twisted straps whereas the brackets on mine were formed metal and heavier). He did not have kits of just the hardware but he said that he would inquire.

Vincent--if you send me your email address I can send a pdf version of the Welsh instructions. But these might also be available on their website. You can also find a good set of instructions that are very similar on JagRepair.com--http://jagrepair.com/WindDeflector1999XK8.htm

Doug

Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

I don't see any instructions on the website, but the deflector is on sale for $295.95

wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

George--I stopped by Mina yesterday. First I showed him my deflector (Welsh) which looks similar to the one they sell. He said the only difference appeared to be the twisted brackets and he said mine looked better than the ones that come with his kit (he said his were basically just twisted straps whereas the brackets on mine were formed metal and heavier). He did not have kits of just the hardware but he said that he would inquire.

Vincent--if you send me your email address I can send a pdf version of the Welsh instructions. But these might also be available on their website. You can also find a good set of instructions that are very similar on JagRepair.com--http://jagrepair.com/WindDeflector1999XK8.htm

Doug
Thanks Doug,

I think im going to go for the welsh unit then especially since it's on sale. Did you ever resolve the standing vertical issue? Looking at the design I think I have an idea.

Take care,

George

wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

George--let me know what you figure out once you get yours installed. Basically the it is the position of the smaller of the two pieces that determines the position of the larger (vertical) piece. The smaller piece is horizontal and ends up against the fronts of the rear seats. The larger piece rotates back and stops by bearing against the horizontal piece. In my case the end result is a slight rearwards tilt of the vertical piece.

I can probably lock this into a vertical position by really tightening the ny-lock bolts but then that would prohibit being able to swing the vertical piece downwards when the top was up. Here is the post where I have some pictures so you can see what I mean--see post #13 in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...flector-61784/

Doug

Last edited by SeismicGuy; 09-16-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

George--let me know what you figure out once you get yours installed. Basically the it is the position of the smaller of the two pieces that determines the position of the larger (vertical) piece. The smaller piece is horizontal and ends up against the fronts of the rear seats. The larger piece rotates back and stops by bearing against the horizontal piece. In my case the end result is a slight rearwards tilt of the vertical piece.

I can probably lock this into a vertical position by really tightening the ny-lock bolts but then that would prohibit being able to swing the vertical piece downwards when the top was up. Here is the post where I have some pictures so you can see what I mean--see post #13 in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...flector-61784/

Doug
Just placed my order with Welsh, so hopefully this weekend if it arrives in time (opted for 2 day fedex for $21).

I have had the kicker 6.5" subs to replace my rear subs sitting in the trunk of the car for the last 3 months so since I have to take the top trim off, I may just do the whole thing.

Take care,

George

wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I don't see any instructions on the website, but the deflector is on sale for $295.95
Thanks for the heads up on the sale.
Just ordered one.

wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered one also. Thanks for the tip on the sale! I may have gotten lost in the discussion between the Mina and the Welsh units, but is it the Welsh unit with the "poor" instructions or the Mina?

Last edited by Utrider; 09-18-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Typing error
wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

According to Doug (Seismic guy), Welsh unit has the better quality hardware, (as per the guy @ mina) BUT crappy instructions.

Nothing we can't collectively figure out LOL.

Take care,

George

The following 2 users liked this post by androulakis:
Utrider (09-19-2012), wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

The best instructions are really here:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Other than the original OEM deflector (which fits with pins into holes that need to be drilled into the upper casing trim piece) virtually ALL of the alternative aftermarket screens end up mounting to metal brackets of some sort that need to be installed to the interior--I will call these A-brackets. One of the A-brackets is easy as the hole for mounting this is already present on the metal piece beneath the casing trim piece (I think this is on the passenger side of US vehicles)). But the other bracket (driver's side on US vehicles) will require drilling of one or two holes in that metal piece--basically a 5 minute job).

After those brackets are installed, you need to attach another set of brackets that go between the deflector and the brackets mounted to the car--I will call these B-brackets. These are generally twisted pieces of metal. They are meant to go on a certain way but, as noted by Rev Sam, you can flip these to result in the deflector being mounted lower than intended.

So really the only instructions needed are the ones for installing the A-brackets that require some limited drilling (which will not be seen). Mounting of the B-brackets should be evident by trial-and-error since the twist in the brackets pretty much dictates how they are installed.

HOWEVER, if anyone can tell me by looking at the pictures I previously posted why my deflector does not stand straight vertical--please let me know. I have called Welsh and there is nothing obviously wrong with my installation. Do those of you that have these find that the deflector naturally ends up perfectly vertical? With mine the only way to achieve that is to set the thing vertical and then tighten the hell out of the nylock nuts to prevent movement.

Doug

The following 2 users liked this post by SeismicGuy:
Utrider (09-19-2012), wcnesta (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll let you know Doug when I get mine. Hope to have it before the weekend and play with it this weekend.

wcnesta (09-19-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice for Wind Screen Deflector for my 2006 XKR?